Episode #39 "French Twist"

Ferrariman

Why does Sonny always pick such ugly women?? Were there not any better looking (and better acting) actresses back then? The love scene would have been real sexy if it werent for Danielle.. And who picked her wardrobe' date=' even for the 80's that was buttugly! At least he didnt give in to her on the boat, boy was I relieved! :)Overall I liked this ep, gave it a 7. Really loved Tubbs in this one, loved his shoe on the bathtub and pulling the plug on her LOL Cant remember any good music in this one, watched it last night but nothing stuck, guess I'll have to watch it againALLI GATOR :D[/quote'] LOL!!!! :):) I agree...I also questioned Crockett's choice in girlfriends in my original post for this episode above. From this ugly foriegn "ice-box" ( :p ) to the nicer but still ugly and old-looking girl in "Nobody Lives Forever," to the really ugly (sorry but true ;) ) girl that overdosed on cocaine by swallowing balloons of it to be a mule and one burst in her stomach (can't remember the episode...was it "Yankee Dollar??")---all his women were ugly, or "homely", or cold and dead-pan (like Danielle here). I'm like "What the heck??" :eek: The only decent, "true," and beautiful girlfriend he had was Gina! :thumbsup: Even though she wasn't as pretty as Gina, I also did like the character of Crockett's ex-wife Caroline (played by Belinda Montgomery--Doogie Howser's mom :p ) though. But, he still should've ended up with Gina. :cool:

• 6 months later...
French Twist was the first episode of VICE which I saw. And it managed to convince me that VICE is the best series in our world.:happy:So, is there anything I can criticize in this episode??? :)The complete plot subsists of the terrific acting of Donnie, Lisa Eichhorn and PMT. :clap::glossy:In contrast to other episodes, action plays a minimal role here and I think that isn't important at all.Director David Jackson attaches importance to dialogues instead - like in an intimate play!:clap:Another aspect is that Danielle Hier gives the story an exotic respectively multicultural touch. Eichhorn acts very good because she plays Danielle Hier coldly and hard-nosed, but not evil (till the end).:thumbsup:So, when I saw French Twist for the first time I wasn't sure whether Rico is right with his suspicion against her.Furthermore I like when the OCB has to cooperate with other divisions and agents because I think that's very realistic (and you see how our team reacts on this "invader":))Firstly there is also a reference to Europe which is important for me because sometimes it bothers me that Europe doesn't appear in US-series.Rico takes a strong part in this episode. As always he is distrustful and relies on his knowledge of human nature. He worries about his partner and best friend, but he has to look on helplessly.Finally Sonny switches on his mind and save Rico's life... - very cool!:clap:So, this episode shows how strong their friendship is.Moreover the style is overwhelming. Clothes and interior design are top notch. Especially the safehouse (where Cindy is hidden) and Eichhorn's flat is eye candy.A negative point is that there's no music except Jan's French Twist (which is very good).That's a pity because there were place for good 80s music.10 of 10 points.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
I like this episode! Right from the start' date=' it's suspenseful and action-packed with the girl seeing Bandi knifing the drug delivery guy at the hospital--and of course she gets the only photograph.The rest of the episode is action-packed as well--as Bandi comes after the girl, and I like the storyline of (once again) another "naughty" or bad ugly woman that Crockett gets involved with LOL :) ! This is just my opinion, but to me most of Crockett's choices in women left little to be desired--except for Gina! They should have stuck together...but we can thank the writers for that one. ;)One of my favorite parts of the episode is when Tubbs confronts Danielle about who and what she really was, and says: "I think you're a bad dream, baby! I just wanna wake up and...find you gone!" :) Tell her, Tubbs! :thumbsup:Anyway, I also like this episode because it's the other "main" one that includes the old Blue Waters Hotel. As I've posted before, I love historical old places (even abandoned ones) and I always liked that old place--wishing I could've explored and photographed it before it was torn down.Even though maybe this wasn't the best or most memorable episode of 2nd season, I definitely thought it was a very "strong" and "supportive" one for the season! I gave it a 7. :clap:[/quote']This was my original thoughts and rating of this episode. I still feel the same. I love this one, and the action, intrigue, colors, the old Blue Waters Hotel (which was torn down about a year after this), and it was just "fun" all the way around! :thumbsup:However, I also still feel the same about Crockett's women...most were ugly! :sick::p Sorry if that sounds mean, but I just don't find hardly any of them attractive. The one ones that were really good looking were of course Gina (who Crockett should have ended up with) and that drug-addicted doctor...Dr. Theresa Lyons (who the episode "Theresa" is based on). But, from Brenda in "Nobody Lives Forever", Sarah in "Yankee Dollar", and Danielle in this episode...man, he needed some advice in the ladies he picked to date. :rolleyes:As for Bandi's supposed hotel room in the Blue Waters Hotel...I think we can safely assume that was not filmed in the old hotel...but was probably a set in the studio. That old hotel had been abandoned for years and there's no way any of the rooms were still in that good of condition. ;) The rest of that scene, Tubbs on the old walkway and the outside shots,were filmed at the old Blue Waters. But, I've also always wondered about the scene of Switek and officers going down that hallway towards Bandi's supposed room...was that filmed in the Blue Waters too? There were lights on in that hallway, so I'm thinking probably not as I doubt there was still electricity hooked up in that old hotel. Who knows...my own goofy interests and questions. :rolleyes: :)But, still definitely a 7...actually if I could re-vote I'd give it an 8! :clap:

Awful episode. It felt like a poor man's "The Hit-List" except he's going after some little brat instead of crockett. Oh & don't worry..There's the "Hit-list rip off part 2" with "free verse" coming soon after. Sorry but theres only so many assassin's chasing after someone & C&Ts saving the day storylines i can take. Lazy writing.No music..No style & the french chick is annoying as hell.The only thing not making me give it a 2 is the blue water hotel scene & Tubbs acting like a badass.

Awful episode. It felt like a poor man's "The Hit-List" except he's going after some little brat instead of crockett. Oh & don't worry..There's the "Hit-list rip off part 2" with "free verse" coming soon after. Sorry but theres only so many assassin's chasing after someone & C&Ts saving the day storylines i can take. Lazy writing.No music..No style & the french chick is annoying as hell.The only thing not making me give it a 2 is the blue water hotel scene & Tubbs acting like a badass.
That's usually what cop shows' date=' like "MV", deal a lot with...murder, drug dealers, and---here it comes...hit-men! :eek::p So, yeah, there were several episodes that dealt with that plot idea. ;) [u']But, none were two alike...and this was not a poor man's "Hit List" (which the real title of is "Calderone's Return" Pt. 1). :rolleyes:The assassin in "Calderone's Return" Pt. 1 was killing off a whole list of people for Calderone...Crockett just happened to be one of them. Bandi, the assassin in this episode was his own drug dealer/killer...and he was only after the girl because she saw him kill the medical drug delivery guy.The assassins in "Free Verse" were killing for political reasons...which happen all the time--so of course somewhere along the line "MV" would do a more political-assassination type episode.But, whatever the motive or reason for the assassins in whatever episode...of course Crockett and Tubbs would try and save the person and/or "day"! Why would they not?? That's pretty much the whole purpose of the show...and every episode. :baby:All these episodes had superb writing, and "French Twist" was no exception--and was an awesome episode, with superb action, colors, filming locations, plot, acting jobs, etc... :thumbsup:

some people get blinded by nostalgia..Because you're a fan doesnt mean you can't think objectively about it..they really just arn't very good episodes..simple as that

some people get blinded by nostalgia..Because you're a fan doesnt mean you can't think objectively about it..they really just arn't very good episodes..simple as that
I like nostalgia...but I watch every episode of every show I like objectively. That's part of the fun...discovering what is good' date=' and sometimes what is not. There are episodes I like better than others. Not every episode is superb...but not every episode is garbage like you claim. ;)Most of the ones you claim are "dog crap" are some of the most popular with [i']true fans...and mostly what the show is about! If you really hate all these episodes you claim you do...you don't really seem to be much of a fan at all?? :eek: I don't think you really understand or "get" the show. These episodes are some of the best and most remembered of the series--and by no means just by me. Everyone can have their opinion, but majority rules...simple as that. :p

I liked this one - have good memories watching this as Kid Good Hammer score - and nighttime driving scenes and locations . 8.5/10:D

Really, not a bad episode. I gave it a solid 7. Danielle's wardrobe was interesting :)

Exactly! I originally gave it a 7 too...however, if I could re-vote I'd give it an 8! :thumbsup: Yeah, Danielle was another of Crockett's "strange" looking girlfriends, :p and yes...her wardrobe was somewhat interesting. :) But, everyone's wardrobe was somewhat off-the-cuff, and that's one of the things that made the show so awesome! :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

(snipped) How Sonny jumped into bed with her beats me, unless he considered it a conquest! Castillo didn't take her c**p when she let them walk into Bandi's trap at the Blue Water's Hotel. (snipped) 

Re:  Sonny jumping into bed with Danielle:  I think this is a classic example of a person going through an experience where he realizes he could have died, and he wants to go right out and participate in the most stimulating life-affirming experience he can.  It's a response that you can see again from him in Like a Hurricane (although Caitlin wasn't as annoying as Danielle).  He was angry with Danielle for not giving them the whole truth, but when she turns up the heat, he responds instantly.  Notice how much they are both sweating during the encounter.  

It was easy to see there was some sexual tension between them from the beginning--maybe because she acted like she was immune to his charms.  Sonny loves women and he's used to getting his way with them.

I like this episode! Right from the start, it's suspenseful and action-packed with the girl seeing Bandi knifing the drug delivery guy at the hospital--and of course she gets the only photograph.The rest of the episode is action-packed as well--as Bandi comes after the girl, and I like the storyline of (once again) another "naughty" or bad ugly woman that Crockett gets involved with LOL :) ! This is just my opinion, but to me most of Crockett's choices in women left little to be desired--except for Gina! They should have stuck together...but we can thank the writers for that one. ;) (snipped)

Yes, the opening scene sucked me in!  Cindy was kind of annoying, but after all she was a teenager.  I think 16-17 is a more believable age for her than 19, as someone stated earlier.  She did act like a starstruck teenager around Rico and Sonny.  It pushes belief though that with the cops guarding her and being hustled out of the hospital by one cop, with another waiting at the curb, that she wouldn't have been a little bit scared!  She was a bit too oblivious to the danger to be believable.

Agree that in general Crockett picked women who aren't conventionally beautiful (which can be seen as good in a way and sets MV apart from every other TV show of the 80s), and also that he should have stuck with Gina!  I didn't really think Danielle was ugly, but I disliked her haircut as well as her clothing.  She could have been styled to look attractive, but instead they made her look odd/ugly/plain. But I think since she was French, the wardrobe people were trying to make her clothes look avant-garde.  Maybe.  I've read that in romance novels (for example), the hero is often super-good-looking, and the heroine or POV character is made ordinary in order for the (mainly female) readers to be able to identify with her.  Now, MV is no romance novel and since a lot of it seems designed to appeal more to the male viewer, I would have expected the producers and casting people to choose women for Crockett's love interests who were beautiful in the conventional way.  So I wonder what they were thinking.  Tubbs didn't have as many odd-looking girlfriends--but Angelina was one, with her very short hair and minimal makeup.

The bit about terrorists blowing up the Greenpeace ship in New Zealand really did happen about a year before this ep aired, and I thought that was a good topical touch. 

Loved the night scenes on the boat with Crockett fishing; Castillo telling the team "Don't underestimate him", Tubbs saying he was thinking of putting a bug on Danielle's phone and Crockett retorting "You mean, you already did!".  

• Like 1

I won't call this one a spectacular episode, but I do enjoy the elements. Some great scenes, solid filming ,fashion and set styles. I like what they did with the plot attempt here, and while I think it fell short of expectations, it still works on some levels. 

Many here have commented on the Danielle character, so I'll toss my thoughts into the mix. At first,I found her incredibly dull and one-dimensional, but I feel that her character (and acting) slowly improved, came to life a little more as the story-line progressed. It is almost as if it was somehow planned that way, but then again I might be giving the creators too much credit. I actually liked her look when she came to visit Sonny on his boat, but this might just be a result of some of her previous questionable fashion choices.

Kicking action scenes here, especially the hotel room trap. The boat riding up near the end, being mistaken for the deal was a nice touch. I'm realizing that I like the episode just a little more now as I reflect on it, than when I was actually watching it. However,to wrap things up, I'll go on record as saying this is not one of the strongest efforts of season 2, perhaps one of the weakest. But it did have some classic Vice moods, for which I appreciate  7/10

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not bad, not great. Just decent. Definitely better than Florence Italy.

Danielle gets on my nerves. I dont think the actress knows how to display any emotion whatsoever. My God, just look at the sex scene. Rather "spend some time" with Cindy. 

However, I love the scene where Tubbs visits her in her tubb.

Good scenery. I also like the hotel bombing scene.

Bandi wasn't anything special. Give me The Argentinian any day.

7.5/10

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2017 at 7:12 PM, Remington said:

Not bad, not great. Just decent. Definitely better than Florence Italy.

Danielle gets on my nerves. I dont think the actress knows how to display any emotion whatsoever. My God, just look at the sex scene. Rather "spend some time" with Cindy. 

However, I love the scene where Tubbs visits her in her tubb.

Good scenery. I also like the hotel bombing scene.

Bandi wasn't anything special. Give me The Argentinian any day.

7.5/10

Danielle definitely leaves little to be desired. :wuerg:  But Crockett seemed to have a "thing" for unattractive, annoying women (except for Gina and Dr. Theresa Lyon--who turned out to be a percription drug addict). :p But, my favorite scene with the "ice-maiden" was when Tubbs visits her in the tub! Love what he says, lol! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Remington said:

I think your a bad dream baby. I just wanna wake up and find you GONE. Lol gotta love Tubbs.

Lol...amen! He's the only one who could say all that and have it sound cool. :cool: I love it when he pushes the drain button on Danielle's tub too, and walks out as she has to reach over and make it stop. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Who wouldn't want a friend who is that much on your side? Crockett said it right in this episode: "Tubbs is great". 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Crappy episode and forced romance, who the hell does she think she is to come and tell Vice how to do their jobs? Clearly can't handle the friendship of Crockett and Tubbs either, it will always boil down to those two in the end no matter what, friendship rules! 

• Like 1

That Bathroom scene is fantastic, I like how you don't know who it is who enters the room at first because it's shot from the waist down then Tubbs puts his foot on the bath revealing his socks and thus showing it's him and not Crockett. That was my thought process anyway, whether it was unintentional.:)

I also like when he goes to visit to Crockett on his boat and asks if he can check out Danielle. "You mean you already did.." and Tubbs smiles.

• Like 3

I didn't like this one at all.  I didn't think the French gal was all that attractive and not really someone Sonny would go for, but who am I to know.  Sheena Easton, yes, but not this lady.

14 minutes ago, IA-SteveB said:

I didn't like this one at all.  I didn't think the French gal was all that attractive and not really someone Sonny would go for, but who am I to know.  Sheena Easton, yes, but not this lady.

To be honest...most of Crockett's girls were odd or unattractive in some way. :p So, this French spy-chick didn't surprise me. The only girls Sonny was with that I found attractive were of course Gina, and Dr. Theresa Lyons. Other than that... :eek:

7 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

That Bathroom scene is fantastic, I like how you don't know who it is who enters the room at first because it's shot from the waist down then Tubbs puts his foot on the bath revealing his socks and thus showing it's him and not Crockett. That was my thought process anyway, whether it was unintentional.:)

"You're like a bad dream, baby--I just wanna wake up and find you...gone!" :dance2:

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

To be honest...most of Crockett's girls were odd or unattractive in some way. :p So, this French spy-chick didn't surprise me. The only girls Sonny was with that I found attractive were of course Gina, and Dr. Theresa Lyons. Other than that... :eek:

Fair point.  Gina was the best looking woman in EVERY episode no matter what. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

Agreed. Danielle didn't do anything for me at all, and neither did Margaret from Prodigal Son. I thought Brenda was an improvement and had intelligence as well. Teresa, or rather the actress who played her, was waaay too young for Crockett as she looked and actually was around 21 at the time, so not even credible as a doctor out of med school.

• Like 2