Episode #39 "French Twist"

Ferrariman

10 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

Fair point.  Gina was the best looking woman in EVERY episode no matter what. :)

Amen!! :happy:

8 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Agreed. Danielle didn't do anything for me at all, and neither did Margaret from Prodigal Son. I thought Brenda was an improvement and had intelligence as well. Teresa, or rather the actress who played her, was waaay too young for Crockett as she looked and actually was around 21 at the time, so not even credible as a doctor out of med school.

Sorry, but I couldn't stand Brenda either :eek:! Lol! I know Helena Bonham Carter, who played Dr. Theresa Lyons, was in reality probably too young...but I think her "character" was supposed to be a few years older and I don't think she'd been a doctor for very long. But dang, she was beautiful too--major improvement from Crockett's past girls (not referring to Gina, who will always be the ultimate woman for Sonny)! :happy: :dance2:

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

It's hard thing to have to shoot the woman you just slept with.  I think this ep is important for Crockett psychologically if nothing else.  And in hindsight.  Once the burnout sets in you can look back at situations like this one as contributing factors.  I like the somewhat claustrophobic feel here too.  Very noir.  I guess that's no coincidence given the French angle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bren10 said:

It's hard thing to have to shoot the woman you just slept with.  I think this ep is important for Crockett psychologically if nothing else.  And in hindsight.  Once the burnout sets in you can look back at situations like this one as contributing factors.  I like the somewhat claustrophobic feel here too.  Very noir.  I guess that's no coincidence given the French angle.

I can only imagine what it would be like as a cop to have to shoot someone you knew...and/or had just slept with. I think that an always, ever-present “backstory” with MV was the burn-out aspect...possibly a little more with Crockett than Tubbs, but even Gina, Trudy, and Stan had their moments. I think, at the time, that was the writers/producers trying to throw a little realism in with the glamour of color, music, fashion, cars, etc...which leads into the “noir” aspect.

I’ve always viewed MV as a neo-noir show—even if it was not initially intended to be, it ultimately became that. Even some first season episodes had a noir-feel and style...again, even amongst the color and 80s-flash, there was still that “dark” mood, conflict with main characters as well as the guest-stars, and there was not always a happy ending. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I can only imagine what it would be like as a cop to have to shoot someone you knew...and/or had just slept with. I think that an always, ever-present “backstory” with MV was the burn-out aspect...possibly a little more with Crockett than Tubbs, but even Gina, Trudy, and Stan had their moments. I think, at the time, that was the writers/producers trying to throw a little realism in with the glamour of color, music, fashion, cars, etc...which leads into the “noir” aspect.

I’ve always viewed MV as a neo-noir show—even if it was not initially intended to be, it ultimately became that. Even some first season episodes had a noir-feel and style...again, even amongst the color and 80s-flash, there was still that “dark” mood, conflict with main characters as well as the guest-stars, and there was not always a happy ending. 

I definitely think the neo noir was intended from the start.  That was Mann's oeuvre even before Vice, and definitely during with Manhunter and Crime Story.

• Like 2

Gerade eben schrieb Bren10:

I definitely think the neo noir was intended from the start.  That was Mann's oeuvre even before Vice, and definitely during with Manhunter and Crime Story.

Exactly. Just look at Calderone's Return or Golden Triangle. Just really awesome Film Noir themes going on in them.

In my opinion, those two are probably THE best episodes when it comes to Film Noir on Miami Vice. :thumbsup:

Even the pilot is really a Film Noir story.

6 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Exactly. Just look at Calderone's Return or Golden Triangle. Just really awesome Film Noir themes going on in them.

In my opinion, those two are probably THE best episodes when it comes to Film Noir on Miami Vice. :thumbsup:

Even the pilot is really a Film Noir story.

I don’t know if I would say these are the best examples of noir for MV...although the Hit List/Calderone’s Demise (aka Calderone’s Return in syndication) 2-parter are my all-time favorite episode/s. ;) But there are many episodes that definitely have a noir style! I love and am a big fan of film noir, and it’s fun and interesting how that style is woven into color and flash! :thumbsup: 

• 1 month later...

The only episode so far I didn't enjoy. Cindy and especially Danielle have no personality at all, Sonny sleeps with her although there was absolutely no chemistry between him and her before. Even the showdown couldn't excite me. I perceived it as kinda lame, and very strange that Tubbs turns his back towards the person he didn't trust for the whole time. 

The story overall has potential though, but unfortunately they messed it up beside a few good scenes such as the explosion sequence and the feeding of Elvis. 6/10

I think Danielle was just poorly cast. It seems they just hired the first French actress that answered the call. 

As always, I at least like the score and soundtrack in this episode. 

5 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I think Danielle was just poorly cast. It seems they just hired the first French actress that answered the call. 

As always, I at least like the score and soundtrack in this episode. 

I think she did a really good job, came across as cold and secretive. I thought she was French as well :) but she's actually from New York, Lisa Eichhorn, a 2 time golden globe nominee & BAFTA award winner. 

Excellent French accent.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

On 4/13/2013 at 8:18 AM, Vincent Hanna said:

some people get blinded by nostalgia..Because you're a fan doesnt mean you can't think objectively about it..they really just arn't very good episodes..simple as that

Seasons 1 & 2 are packed full of great episodes. 

• Like 1

I guess she had me fooled then :) 

I still feel like someone else instead of her could have made that episode more enjoyable. 

13 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Seasons 1 & 2 are packed full of great episodes. 

100% agree! However, I’m one of those few that also think Seasons 3-5 also has some great episodes. Maybe not as many in a row, like Seasons 1-2 (although Season 3 was still pretty awesome in my opinion), but each season has its awesome episodes! :thumbsup: 

• 9 months later...

Still a pretty sleepy episode. Although it has it's certain good moments, such as Crockett's famous 'clear my desk of all cases' line, interesting to hear one of the not so many occasions Castillo actually raises his voice. And of course who can forget. Alligator. AL-LI-GATOR.

• Haha 1

Anyone notice Elvis hitting his head into the pole on Crockett's boat? Looks like it hurt itself. I couldn't continue to watch after that, without thinking about the scene. It was unpleasant. 

Edited by summer84
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Anyone notice Elvis hitting his head into the pole on Crockett's boat? Looks like it hurt itself. I couldn't continue to watch after that, without thinking about the scene. It was unpleasant. 

Really? No, I never saw that! I'll have to re-watch. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

Which scene?

I just checked and it wasn't in this episode. For some reason in my review, I had by a mistake written it to this episode. Sorry about that. But I did find the scene, it was in "Payback," when Crockett talks to Tubbs about his cover being blown on his boat and he is about to feed Elvis, but then changes his mind and throws the bag away, saying "as a watch gator, you would make a good pair of shoes." 

Edited by summer84

6 minutes ago, summer84 said:

I just checked and it wasn't in this episode. For some reason in my review, I had by a mistake written it to this episode. Sorry about that. But I did find the scene, it was in "Payback," when Crockett talks to Tubbs about his cover being blown on his boat and he is about to feed Elvis, but then changes his mind and throws the bag away, saying "as a watch gator, you would make a good pair of shoes." 

I just finished Payback and thought you maybe meant that scene instead, it did look like poor ol' Elvis hit his head, with that groan he lets out. 

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...

Were you ever able to hear exactly what Dannielle, Sullivan and Lipton are talking about during the beginning of the cocktail scene (right after the Blue Waters Hotel scene)?

It goes like this:

-Do you feel sorry for her?

-No. Do you?

-No, I certainly do not.

-Certainly not.

-I guess [???] clothes on. And what about this business? You're killing [???] .

After that, it's all pretty clear.

Edited by ivoryjones

3 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

Were you ever able to get what Dannielle, Sullivan and Lipton are talking about during the beginning of the cocktail scene (right after the Blue Waters Hotel scene)?

It goes like this:

-Do you feel sorry for her?

-No. Do you?

-No, I certainly do not.

-Certainly not.

-I guess [???] clothes on. And what about this business? You're killing [???] .

After that, it's all pretty clear.

Maybe they’re talking about Cindy?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Maybe they’re talking about Cindy?

That never crossed my mind, Dadrian, it could very well be.

Can't understand exactly what Dannielle says on "I guess [???] clothes on. And what about this business? You're killing [???]". Perhaps whatever she says before "clothes" and after "killing" would solve it.

6 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

That never crossed my mind, Dadrian, it could very well be.

Can't understand exactly what Dannielle says on "I guess [???] clothes on. And what about this business? You're killing [???]". Perhaps whatever she says before "clothes" and after "killing" would solve it.

Maybe she’s saying “close”—as in “closing a deal”??

• Like 1

Thanks, Dadrian!

Just listened another couple of times. 

Probably it's something like this, but still with two blanks:

-Feel sorry for her?

-No. Do you?

-No, I certainly do not. (laughs)

-Certainly not.

-I feel sorry [???]. And what about this business? You're killing [???] . (laughs)

Can't be too sure of anything (English is not my mother language, and the SDH subtitles from the DVDs have no text for that part!). The second blank probably has some French word mixed with English.