Anybody heard about the Miami Device by Wahl Clipper Corp?

cigarette

In the spring of 1986, an electric razor became available called the Stubble Device, that allowed users to have a beard like Don Johnson's character. Initially, it was named the Miami Device by Wahl Clipper Corp. I have seach for it, but there is nothing to find. Do anybody have this device (C&B?)confused:From CNN September 1, 1986http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/moneymag_archive/1986/09/01/83455/index.htm

• Like 1

Absolutely I have heard of this device! I think we even had pictures of the package on the "other" site.I don't have it though, but it might be kind of fun to have. I'm guessing other shavers are capable of the stubble effect.

• 9 years later...

THE MIAMI DEVICE

miamidevice.jpg.619e1101f624399f1cee838c65b16b42.jpg

Back in 1986, if you were male and suffered from stubble envy -- a disturbance characterized by a desire to have an always budding beard like TV star Don Johnson -- you may have wanted to pick up an electric razor that went on the market that spring, costing only $29.95 and leaving you with a 5 o'clock shadow 24 hours a day.

It was called the Stubble Device. The Wahl Clipper Corp. of Sterling, Ill. made it expressly to capitalize on the sandpaper-chin look popularized by the Miami Vice sleuth. Rather than suffer the embarrassment of a clean shave, you could keep your beard fashionably semi-trimmed with the machine's handy one-to-five-day growth settings. The razor was originally called The Miami Device.  But the company feared a trademark infringement lawsuit by the show's producers and -- even worse -- were afraid that Johnson could up and adopt a razor-clean look at a press agent's notice.

http://tonymountain.blogspot.com/2010/12/miami-device.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes I've heard of it but didn't know these details.  It is one of many things that demonstrate the show's amazing popularity.

I've been cutting my own hair for the better part of 17 years now (just gave myself a trim this morning actually) and I never tire of it. It's almost like re-inventing yourself every few weeks. As for the 5 o'clock shadow, just keep those clippers closed and hit your beard every other day, and you'll always have the look. Just make sure to still shave your neck and above the cheekbones to establish the lines. I love rockin' a similar style to Don during the cooler months of the year, but if I ever lose my hair someday, I'm going with the full Jason Statham look. Open clippers on the head, closed on the face. No guards, all zero, all the way. Da Staffe' may not have Don's hair, but he can still rock a casual suit like it's nobodies business.

Jason+Statham+Jason+Statham+Premiere+Saf

• Like 2