10 Give a Little, Take a Little

C Glide

I just started working on this episode for my location site. I got lucky and rather quickly found one of the Los Angeles locations that had previously avoided me. During the teaser there are two buildings that the camera does a drive by on. The addresses are 5507 and 5511. The bench out front confirmed it was L.A. because all though somewhat blurred I could make out that part of it read Franklin Ave. at N. Western Ave. I located that intersection on google earth and started looking nearby in a likely area for the 5000 blk. Right away I honed in on Hollywood Blvd. and bingo. Le Sex shop is still the same type business, the X spot. The rail bar is now the RelAx Pub.

I just started working on this episode for my location site. I got lucky and rather quickly found one of the Los Angeles locations that had previously avoided me. During the teaser there are two buildings that the camera does a drive by on. The addresses are 5507 and 5511. The bench out front confirmed it was L.A. because all though somewhat blurred I could make out that part of it read Franklin Ave. at N. Western Ave. I located that intersection on google earth and started looking nearby in a likely area for the 5000 blk. Right away I honed in on Hollywood Blvd. and bingo. Le Sex shop is still the same type business' date=' the X spot. The rail bar is now the RelAx Pub.[/quote']C Glide, I really like how your able to find these places. I get a real kick out of all the work you do, and the end result.Thank you for doing this. You are unique! :thumbsup:

C Glide' date=' I really like how your able to find these places. I get a real kick out of all the work you do, and the end result.Thank you for doing this. You are unique! :thumbsup:[/quote'] Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoy doing it. Miami Vice has given me a great hobby.

Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoy doing it. Miami Vice has given me a great hobby.

You sir, are an asset to this site. Thankfully, it's also a hobby (that your very good at), so your having fun, and we're learning something in return. :thumbsup:It's fascinating.

About 20:30 into the episode C+T go see Sally Alvarez's Attorney. Crockett is familiar with him and calls him Dick. What I suspected by the looks of the building but was not positive of untill now is that Dick is a high priced Los Angeles Lawyer. I just located his office. He works out of the Bank of America building in downtown L.A. S. Hope Street between W 3rd and W 4th Streets. I wonder if C+T flew coach.:)

Great find with the BOA building!Maybe you already got this, but look what I just found:http://williamhorberg.typepad.com/.a/6a00e553df6489883401156fc7d5f9970c-450wiThe opening clip of this ep was filmed in CHICAGO!!! My breakthrough came when I realized that this wasn't "Mamma's Pancake House", but "Mammy's Pancake House". "Tony's Cellar" was at 909 Rush Street. Unfortunately, the entire block has been razed and redeveloped. Some more info:link 1link 2 (about halfway down the page, the section titled "The Lost World")another shot of that postcard

The house at 46:14 is a tough one, no clues.BLOOPER: At 1:32, just after the bus passes by, we see Giancarlo Esposito. Why? This is a clip from the NEXT EPISODE!!! In the opening scene of "Little Prince", Esposito is the dealer who Gina & Trudy find on the street and rope into a drug deal.

The house at 46:14 is a tough one' date=' no clues.BLOOPER: At 1:32, just after the bus passes by, we see Giancarlo Esposito. Why? This is a clip from the NEXT EPISODE!!! In the opening scene of "Little Prince", Esposito is the dealer who Gina & Trudy find on the street and rope into a drug deal.[/quote'] That is not a blooper LOL, thats just how real Miami Vice was. Characters just don't appear out of the blue. We see the players on the street in advance. He just happened to be dealing there that night as well but the girls had not noticed him yet. LOL LOL

http://williamhorberg.typepad.com/.a/6a00e553df6489883401156fc7d5f9970c-450wiThe opening clip of this ep was filmed in CHICAGO!!! My breakthrough came when I realized that this wasn't "Mamma's Pancake House", but "Mammy's Pancake House". "Tony's Cellar" was at 909 Rush Street. Unfortunately, the entire block has been razed and redeveloped. Some more info:link 1link 2 (about halfway down the page, the section titled "The Lost World")another shot of that postcard

That is a freakin great find I was thinking maybe NY but had not had a chance to look yet. I wonder where they dug that footage up. That was one that was annoying we had names and an address but it was still severly resistant to solving. A++

CGlide and airtommy: you guys are a blast! I guess you would have even found MV locations on the backside of the moon if they had shot there :DCongrats to you both!

That is not a blooper LOL' date=' thats just how real Miami Vice was. Characters just don't appear out of the blue. We see the players on the street in advance. He just happened to be dealing there that night as well but the girls had not noticed him yet. LOL LOL[/quote']:D:D:D

I just posted this episode on my location site. It is almost complete. I am waiting to receive some pictures in the next couple days from DanJ of the inside of Club Ocho. He says he has very good re-creation shots so I can't wait. I looked at their website, now Ache superclub, and it does look mostly unchanged inside. http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net

Hey, C Glide, two things:1. My "trivia" question on the BN message board was directed at you.2. The unknown electronics store in Give a Little - I thought I had long ago found that this was the same place U2 did their famous video for "Where the Streets Have No Name". However, I cannot find my post anywhere. I thought this same store was shown in a slightly longer clip in a different episode, but I can't remember the episode now.

:D:D:D

Really great work , SoflaJeremy, on your location work for his episode on your site - as you said a poor episode but great episode for locations. :D

Hey' date=' C Glide, two things:1. My "trivia" question on the BN message board was directed at you.2. The unknown electronics store in Give a Little - I thought I had long ago found that this was the same place U2 did their famous video for "Where the Streets Have No Name". However, I cannot find my post anywhere. I thought this same store was shown in a slightly longer clip in a different episode, but I can't remember the episode now.[/quote'] I remember reading in Miamibeach411.com something about the U2 Video and that the pictures for their album cover were taken in Miami. There was a REM picture on that blog and they were asking if anyone recognized it. I believe it was from one of their albums. I recognized it right off and posted an answer. It was the Florida Villas from Lombard and REM was posing there.

The first 10 or so episodes of Season 1 they shot on Espanola Way/The Clay Hotel frequently - the most frequently in the entire 5 season run - "Pilot" / "Cool Runnin' " etc . They didnt shoot as frequently after this episode and considerably much less in later Seasons.Yes, the U2 Video / Promo shots were shot in Downtown LA on the rooftop of Republic Liquor ( E7th /S Main ) and we saw shots of Republic Liquor in the teaser also of "Too Much Too Late ".:D

I remember reading in Miamibeach411.com something about the U2 Video and that the pictures for their album cover were taken in Miami. There was a REM picture on that blog and they were asking if anyone recognized it. I believe it was from one of their albums. I recognized it right off and posted an answer. It was the Florida Villas from Lombard and REM was posing there.

I Googled a bit and found your post. Click here for the thread.REM at the Florida Villas:Eingefügtes Bild

Yes' date=' the U2 Video / Promo shots were shot in Downtown LA on the rooftop of Republic Liquor ( E7th /S Main ) and we saw shots of Republic Liquor in the teaser also of "Too Much Too Late ".:D[/quote'] Thanks, I don't know how you remembered that! I'm looking at it now and I was wrong, that is not the same building as in Give a Little. So this mystery remains.

• 3 years later...

Watched this last night directed by Bobby Roth , a young director in 1984 who only directed one episode of Miami Vice and went on to direct "Revenge" , "Greys Anatomy " and "Prison Break "- really good locations and nice to see the "Killshot " house at different angles and the rear porch area with some nice views of Palm Island and the Macarthur Cswy from the rear .Unusual the front shot at the end of the episode featured 10337 Broadview Drive in the Bay Harbor Islands of the Broad Causeway. :thumbsup::DThe Clay Hotel and Espanola Way are once again featured quite heavily in this episode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Interesting when C&T meet Noogy at night - there are a group of males what looks like they are playing dominos - could this have been filmed at the rear of the small park ( Maximo Gomez ) featured in "Golden Triangle" on SW8th St in Little Havana. Doesnt quite match up Today  :D

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/860+SW+15th+Ave,+Miami,+FL+33135,+USA/@25.7652251,-80.219481,3a,75y,359.07h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sjDvNoE42O_r4nf6vfPz3Og!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x88d9b6f0c845cad3:0x64efa3f3d7a514c1!6m1!1e1

Matt I just looked at the scene, adjusted brightness etc.  That's a good guess, there is an open courtyard type place with a street on the other side.  But it looks like a bar on the extreme left of the courtyard that they didn't have in Maximo Gomez.  Don't know if it's possible to know what the back of the place looked like back then.  As you know they played, and still play dominos in a lot of places especially in Little Havana.  Interesting seascape type mural at the beginning of the scene that makes me think of Calle Ocho or Little Dominica.  

• 6 months later...

Matt I just looked at the scene, adjusted brightness etc.  That's a good guess, there is an open courtyard type place with a street on the other side.  But it looks like a bar on the extreme left of the courtyard that they didn't have in Maximo Gomez.  Don't know if it's possible to know what the back of the place looked like back then.  As you know they played, and still play dominos in a lot of places especially in Little Havana.  Interesting seascape type mural at the beginning of the scene that makes me think of Calle Ocho or Little Dominica.  

Just noticed they were playing dominos/ chess in the small park in front of the alley  :D

• Like 1

Ya this location is still unknown.  C&T meet Noogy at night - there are a group of males what looks like they are playing dominos - could this have been filmed at the rear of the small park?

Tom - do you have the production notes for this episode?

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

Ya this location is still unknown.  C&T meet Noogy at night - there are a group of males what looks like they are playing dominos - could this have been filmed at the rear of the small park?

Tom - do you have the production notes for this episode?

Nope. But according to the fact that this is a rather short scene und the importance of the location not very significant, I assume that they used a location close to the others in this ep.