Rock and a Hard place

Tom

On 26/04/2017 at 9:00 PM, C Glide said:

The east end I refer to is Miracle Mile with S Douglas road in the near bg. So the furthest building in the bg would be the sears in the mall. Limo going thru the 40 blk of Miracle Mile westbound. Trees, crosswalk, parking, etc. all match up but the buildings are different fronts so I have not been able to confirm. Low white wall is one still there going around mall.

Yes Jeremy - I can see the low white wall around the mall in front of Sears and this would mean the camera was on Miracle Mile as the limo was heading west over S.Douglas - seems to match up as you say.:D

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.7497733,-80.2549652,3a,75y,40.98h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slTLD6HwBIbZf59C6fTHvvQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

IMG_3537.JPG

Edited by Matt5

On Miracle - we must see a close up of this doorway as the limo heads W down the block - the small park we see opposite the Sears mall/ low white wall looks like it was also there in the fall of 1987 - not quite as developed but still there

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.749787,-80.2555665,3a,37.5y,349.76h,84.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssODD6YWrpHEJHWMYQJ_juw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In the screen capture of your last post of the limo. I believe that building/entranceway is of the building right/east of this building/doorway you have linked to.

I am not so sure that is a white wall, it looks like it might be a street.

This sure looks like Miracle Mile.  Another possibility driving eastbound at the western end at Le Jeune (42nd).

Edited by airtommy

On April 26, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Matt5 said:

Not necessarily Tom - "Rock and a Hard Place" shot all over Miami fact - the party scene at Dezerland Resort way up in Surfside and the "LA" walk scene was filmed further north still up at Haulover Park - even JJs in South Miami was featured very briefly. Maybe the Consulate was near the studio as mentioned previously ?!- such a distinctive building. And remember we saw this building in Season 1s "Milk Run" which again shot all over Miami but not in Coral Gables.

When you wrote "Milk Run", did you mean "Rites of Passage"?

Edited by airtommy

On 04/05/2017 at 5:26 AM, airtommy said:

When you wrote "Milk Run", did you mean "Rites of Passage"?

Sorry yes "Rites of Passage" I meant :hippie:

I was posting a song from "Milk Run " Just before :)

• Like 1

On 5/1/2017 at 4:46 AM, airtommy said:

I am not so sure that is a white wall, it looks like it might be a street.

This sure looks like Miracle Mile.  Another possibility driving eastbound at the western end at Le Jeune (42nd).

Yes - very possible, this is Le Jeune and Miracle  - either end really ?!:D

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.7493498,-80.2620578,3a,75y,200.29h,76.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdy_E90uHXaPDmLQnk8T5mQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Edited by Matt5

I studied this closely last night and I'm 99% sure it's the west end of Miracle Mile driving eastward.  Storefronts do change radically sometimes, but a few of these seem to be unchanged 30 years later.

Rock4.png

Rock5.png

Rock6.png

Rock7.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, airtommy said:

Rock8.png

Rock9.png

Rock10.png

Rock11.png

5 minutes ago, airtommy said:

I studied this closely last night and I'm 99% sure it's the west end of Miracle Mile driving eastward.  Storefronts do change radically sometimes, but a few of these seem to be unchanged 30 years later.

Rock4.png

Rock5.png

Rock6.png

Rock7.png

Yes that's it !

The biggest challenge was concentrating on the location and ignoring Sheena as she sat in the limo looking scrumptious.

:thumbsup:

The newsstand seems fake.  I wonder if that neon sign might lead us to the location.  A word or name ending in "lachs"?  Rock12.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

I ran that sigh thru Sunbiz checking for any Florida LLC INC LLP LFC etc. Zip zero nada. it is a mystery, I had one guy e-mail me sometime ago stating he knew it was this news stand in LA but when I checked it out it definitely was not it. False lead. Good mystery

On 5/7/2017 at 11:32 PM, airtommy said:

The newsstand seems fake.  I wonder if that neon sign might lead us to the location.  A word or name ending in "lachs"?  

They filmed two night scenes on Miracle Mile in Coral Gables, so I looked around there.  I found a perfect spot on the SE corner of Salzedo & Miracle Mile.  It has an awning wrapping around the corner.  It has a concrete overhang.  It is steps from where they filmed the payphone scene at the Miracle Theater.  This spot makes perfect sense:

Rock13.png

HOWEVER . . . trying to find a confirming detail, I look at the 1986 aerial and I notice there is a perfectly matching striped awning at a different corner of that intersection.  Across the street from the striped awning is California Pizza Kitchen at 300 Miracle Mile.  I Google "300 Miracle Mile" and find this:

http://florida-sunbiz.com/WALLACHS-POMPANO-INC

---lachs = Wallachs

Rock14.png

Rock15.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

Brilliant find airtommy.  Wish I had done that.  Do you use blu-ray disks?

Edited by miamijimf

On 5/9/2017 at 4:33 AM, airtommy said:

They filmed two night scenes on Miracle Mile in Coral Gables, so I looked around there.  I found a perfect spot on the SE corner of Salzedo & Miracle Mile.  It has an awning wrapping around the corner.  It has a concrete overhang.  It is steps from where they filmed the payphone scene at the Miracle Theater.  This spot makes perfect sense:

Rock13.png

HOWEVER . . . trying to find a confirming detail, I look at the 1986 aerial and I notice there is a perfectly matching striped awning at a different corner of that intersection.  Across the street from the striped awning is California Pizza Kitchen at 300 Miracle Mile.  I Google "300 Miracle Mile" and find this:

http://florida-sunbiz.com/WALLACHS-POMPANO-INC

---lachs = Wallachs

Rock14.png

Rock15.png

Great find! Cool to find new Coral Gables locations after all these years - there were not many of them during the 5 year run.

• 8 months later...
On 19/03/2013 at 12:27 PM, Matt5 said:

The location unknown ( only one ) you have during the La montage in the teaser is Venice Beach area near Santa Monica Ocean Front Walk - spent a lot of time there :D

@C Glide @miamijimf @airtommy

This location from the teaser of “Rock and a Hard Place” was on Oceanfront Bvld on Venice Beach looking South to Santa Monica in Los Angeles:)

7D233480-2A97-49A7-9D29-CD5B0CAB67F9.jpeg

98FAEE2D-27A6-4CFB-B184-E3436620DFEC.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

On 1/16/2018 at 10:56 AM, Matt5 said:

This location from the teaser of “Rock and a Hard Place” was on Oceanfront Bvld on Venice Beach looking South to Santa Monica in Los Angeles

Nice find.  You mean looking North, right?

Edited by airtommy