Miami Trip Story ~ Our 3rd Trip!

DJAngel

Our 3rd and final trip to Miami was in March and April 1989. I hope you enjoy our last Miami Vice adventure.We're so glad we did not decide to be practical and skip going to Miami this year. We really would have regretted it! Knowing now that they were filming the last episode for sure, it makes it even more special. We didn't realize when we booked the trip that we would be there during the Oscars. We probably would not have done that figuring Melanie Griffith would be nominated, and Don and Melanie would be in L.A. We arrived in Miami on March 23rd, which was Easter weekend. The Oscar show was on March 29th.Monday, March 27th, we drove to Mayfair Shopping Center in Coconut Grove where they were filming the episode, "Too Much, Too Late". We saw Philip going back and forth to the set. Michael Talbot was there, and we talked to him for awhile. He invited us to be his guests for lunch with the cast and crew. We got in front of the "roach coach" and acted like we belonged there:) That was really sweet of him.Monday, April 3rd, they were filming scenes from the final two hour episode, "Freefall", in a park in Coconut Grove. It was a perfect setting because it looked like a jungle in the middle of town. Don was not there, but we were able to watch Philip going to and from a scene, and later watched filming of what seemed to be a village scene with children and animals running arund making a lot of noise. Cut from the final show.On April 5th they were filming on No Name Harbor at Key Biscayne. We had the perfect place to watch them film. We sat on the opposite side of the harbor, away from the set, on a wall facing the harbor and out onto the ocean. It was a beautiful day. Though we were quite a distance away from the filming, we had a clear view of them. They filmed all morning on a boat, and when they finished, Don drove out of the harbor on his boat, the Don Johnson Signature Edition Scarab. As he slowly left the harbor, he waved at us. What a thrill to see him in his boat! No wonder he liked that job:cool:On April 6th they were filming on Espinola Way. There were so many people watching that day that it really was stressful at times. We kept ordering cokes and Cuban meat pies while watching the filming from a restaurant on Espinola Way. I took pictures of Don, Philip, and Melanie Griffith through the window of the restaurant. At about 8:30 p.m., Don and a few other people walked across the street to Osteria Del Teatro. They came back in about 15 minutes, and as he was walking back across the street, Don gestured to some people putting his fingers together to his mouth, like the food was really good. After they finished filming, on our way back to the Hotel, we walked over to Osteria Del Teatro and checked the menu. A plate of spaghetti was about $22, which did not fit in our budget, so we went to Frankie's down the street and had spaghetti for $4.00. It was delicious!I had a party on Sunday, May 21st, to celebrate the final episode. It was fun to watch the scenes we saw being filmed. It was sad to think Miami Vice was over, but we have wonderful memories of our trips to Miami, lots of tapes to watch, and some great friends to share it all with in the future.

Bon, you got to see two more Episodes being filmed to add to your collection.....I love about Don driving his boat away, and you saw Melanie, no kiss and tell? lol........The pictures are very nice. I know you have in that draw of yours some more photos. I think in General should be Behind the scenes....you can copy and paste your first two visits onto here, and the photos are so much easier to attach on this site......Oh please please put up your photos that I know you have more of from this trip in Behind the scenes and if that thread isn't there open it and I'll make my photos larger and put mine up too.....Not that they are anything close to great like yours....mine just were given to me. My friends were there the same time you were for Freefall, The practice of the hand shake and all. Once again you are so lucky........More , Bon, please??????????:clap:

Thank you, Sue and MV86:)I do have more pictures. I was too tired last night to post them all. I'll put the remainder of them in Behind The Scenes;)

Thanks for sharing the photos and the memories! it looks like a good time was had by all....is there a candid out there with PMT not smiling?

MV 86 - I wrote that trip story in 1989 and can't remember why I called it the roach coach. Maybe Michael Talbot referred to it that way. Sounds like something he would say:D

MV 86 - I wrote that trip story in 1989 and can't remember why I called it the roach coach. Maybe Michael Talbot referred to it that way. Sounds like something he would say:D

Didn't one of the cast call it "the bug-mobile" ?

I've started downloading the remainder of the 89 trip story photos in the Photo Gallery. Then I'll post them in the Behind The Scenes:)JonnyDaytona - After Miami Vice ended, we saw Don at an appearance he did in June 1989 for Make-A-Wish in Blackhawk, California; at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am Golf Tournaments in 90, 92, 95; OPT race in San Francisco in 1990; andfilming of Dead Bang and Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man in L.A.; and Nash Bridges in S.F. I will post those trip stories and photos soon, too. For the DJ fans to enjoy:)

Bonnie you didn't tell me you saw him filming Dead Bang , Nash and Marlboro man.....oh need to see those! So glad you are going to put them up! You are his angel thanks and again thanks!

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The park in Coconut Grove you described at the beginning is the only location in Freefall that we have not managed to identify yet. would be great to find out where they filmed exactly. I don't know any park im CG that has the look of this Latin American jungle. they also filmed lots of fight scenes there.

The park in Coconut Grove you described at the beginning is the only location in Freefall that we have not managed to identify yet. would be great to find out where they filmed exactly. I don't know any park im CG that has the look of this Latin American jungle. they also filmed lots of fight scenes there.

Sorry Tom, I can't remember anymore details about the park and location.  Maybe the park has changed or at least certain areas of it.

• 4 years later...