Honor among thieves

Tom

• 3 years later...

Working on Honor Among Thieves for my location web site. It should be ready later today. One of the rare episodes where they travelled up to Broward County for filming. Here is a tease. The meet at Club Deuce:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

I just cut the ribbon on episode 84. It is now published on my season 4 location site. http://www.miamivicelocations4.org/page27.html Victim, I think # 4 off the top of my head that was found by the waters edge, her location can be found. I did not spend a ton of time searching but there is new construction seen in the bg as well as a large silver water tower. I think it may have been filmed in Dania by the amusement park but I will have to take some time to search. Anyone looking for a case to solve, that would be a good one. Now on to 85.

I just cut the ribbon on episode 84. It is now published on my season 4 location site. http://www.miamivicelocations4.org/page27.html Victim' date=' I think # 4 off the top of my head that was found by the waters edge, her location can be found. I did not spend a ton of time searching but there is new construction seen in the bg as well as a large silver water tower. I think it may have been filmed in Dania by the amusement park but I will have to take some time to search. Anyone looking for a case to solve, that would be a good one. Now on to 85.[/quote']Great work Charlie- keep goin.' :clap:

I just cut the ribbon on episode 84. It is now published on my season 4 location site. http://www.miamivicelocations4.org/page27.html Victim' date=' I think # 4 off the top of my head that was found by the waters edge, her location can be found. I did not spend a ton of time searching but there is new construction seen in the bg as well as a large silver water tower. I think it may have been filmed in Dania by the amusement park but I will have to take some time to search. Anyone looking for a case to solve, that would be a good one. Now on to 85.[/quote']Great work SoflaJeremy - keep going as Jim says :thumbsup::cool::DSo glad Miami Vice Ws IS BACK :done::thumbsup::cool::D

• 11 months later...

Interesting locations in this one - including nice views of Ocean Drive and the beach. 1236/1238 Ocean Drive featured for the first time in the series. :dance: 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.783442,-80.130049,3a,75y,250.2h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sD_HPaaFlYX-d5Bt_E_iuMw!2e0!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Edited by Matt5

• 3 years later...

A nice angle on Collins seen in this episode in the 1600 block from The Sagamore Hotel and Dilido Hotel looking South - we rarely saw these hotels in Miami Vice.

21D1D37F-69BF-41EC-A291-AB24B3C23BE2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

The scenes with the old guy in the captain’s hat with the beds are marked “unknown” on @C Glide‘s site.  That room has the same windows as the famous Evan house in which many other scenes of this episode were filmed. Was this ever considered/ruled out?

EA8DBA79-9149-4672-B7CB-9067D39EF0B3.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

The scenes with the old guy in the captain’s hat with the beds are marked “unknown” on @C Glide‘s site.  That room has the same windows as the famous Evan house in which many other scenes of this episode were filmed. Was this ever considered/ruled out?

EA8DBA79-9149-4672-B7CB-9067D39EF0B3.png

That’s an Ocean Drive or Collins Hotel lobby with that floor reminds me of The Clevelander.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

That’s an Ocean Drive or Collins Hotel lobby with that floor reminds me of The Clevelander.

Agreed, that glass brick window looks like the Evan house but the floor looks like a hotel.

When they walk through the door, the sign says something like "eorge's" "of Life".

They film inside 1238 Ocean and 1235 Washington in this ep, so those are two candidates.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2019 at 12:00 AM, airtommy said:

Agreed, that glass brick window looks like the Evan house but the floor looks like a hotel.

When they walk through the door, the sign says something like "eorge's" "of Life".

They film inside 1238 Ocean and 1235 Washington in this ep, so those are two candidates.

This is a very unique floor indeed - it’s a big interior which would rule out 1238 Ocean. It reminds me of The Clevelander but is not it. I also looked at The Royal Palm and Jerry’s but not those also. Miami Vice shot a lot interior wise in Ocean Drive hotels in Season 4. This is perhaps another of those finding on the ground locations so I will check out on the ground.

Same incidentally of “Down for the Count” part 2 - not the same floor as HAT but an Art Deco floor.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 9/15/2013 at 2:05 PM, C Glide said:

Victim, I think # 4 off the top of my head that was found by the waters edge, her location can be found. I did not spend a ton of time searching but there is new construction seen in the bg as well as a large silver water tower. I think it may have been filmed in Dania by the amusement park

This little lake would be so easy to find if we had a contemporary aerial, but https://www.historicaerials.com/  only has 1980 and 1995 aerials for this area.  The amusement park was built in 1983 and demolished in 1993, and they filled in the lake.

I had thought we were seeing the Hollywood Water Tower at the SW corner of Sheridan & I-95.  But now I'm leaning towards a more likely choice:  The old Dania Water Tower at Stirling Rd & the railroad tracks (near Phippen Waiters Rd).

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1988-06-03-8802020308-story.html

This is my best guess from the 1980 aerial.

• red = girl's body
  • yellow = Dania Water Tower

honoramong1.png.b6659276a252932e6dcaf343a8d6abe4.png

honoramong2.png.a148e3f98046649170af2b57325347d3.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

@airtommyI would say you got it mang! :clap:

What we see in this scene and your screencap is definitely quite a large lake with vegetation only on the other side and a significant mould of the water’s edge with a public street (going by the curb) next to it plus the water tower in the distance. All these clues are confirmed and triangulate with your marked spot.

To countercheck and to get a feeling of the new potential location distance to the waterpark, I tried to match your 1980s map with CGlides map on his location site where he pinpointed the former location of the amusement/waterpark that was the main filming location and demolished in 1992/1993 with lake removed and new motorways built since then.

Map below is the result (borrowed from CGlide with my additions on top), of course this is not exact, but a good estimate especially when taking the narrow diagonally running canal and the rectangular lake which is also still there as an orientation point (BLUE=approximate location of lake which is gone now, YELLOW= former water tower location, STAR=  former 6 Flags atlantis  waterpark location as pinpointed by C Glide, RED=approximate filming of girl found location).

Bottom line: that map supports your find based on location logistics. The location with the girl´s body was just south of the 6 Flags waterpark and maybe even on the south end of the premises.

What a pity that Historic Aerials misses exactly the 1986 status of that property, but I think we got it nailed now anyhow!

I think @C Glide has to update his location pages again! 

HATloc.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

I found a photo of the Dania water tower.  It was indeed silver, just like the one we see in the MV scene.

daniawatertower.JPG.a23efb754c6aa7c10c7123eb3d7298c1.JPG

• Like 2

On 5/11/2020 at 5:35 AM, airtommy said:

This little lake would be so easy to find if we had a contemporary aerial, but https://www.historicaerials.com/  only has 1980 and 1995 aerials for this area.  The amusement park was built in 1983 and demolished in 1993, and they filled in the lake.

I had thought we were seeing the Hollywood Water Tower at the SW corner of Sheridan & I-95.  But now I'm leaning towards a more likely choice:  The old Dania Water Tower at Stirling Rd & the railroad tracks (near Phippen Waiters Rd).

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1988-06-03-8802020308-story.html

This is my best guess from the 1980 aerial.

• red = girl's body
  • yellow = Dania Water Tower

honoramong1.png.b6659276a252932e6dcaf343a8d6abe4.png

honoramong2.png.a148e3f98046649170af2b57325347d3.png

This is a great find - well done.

• 4 weeks later...
Am 9.4.2019 um 04:51 schrieb Matt5:

SMALL UNKNOWN LOCATION FOUND

I am 95% sure that the homeless shelter was filmed inside the Tides hotel at 1220 Ocean Drive. See also my pictures below.

1. The Tides is the only hotel near the other locations in this episode (Leslie 1244 Ocean Dr, 1238 Ocean Drive) that is wide enough for the homeless scene which shows a very longish building.

2. The Tides has the same white round columns that match in width (approx 3 feet) and at the bottom of the columns (small black tiles seam in the episode still match between Honor among thieves and the scene in Hell hath no fury that filmed inside as well when Ellen picks up the magazine). Current photos show that the small tile seam is still there but was painted over in white.

3. The floor pattern matches exactly: the Tides has the same rectangular floor pattern with thick black rectangles with narrower grey lines going through and a smaller dark red line that looks nearly black on the episode stills due to filters used. There is also a yellow line. I tried to change the color temperature on that still to show that better to you. The floor pattern matches exactly with current pics from the Tides restaurant! The round black pattern around the columns is also there, as can be seen in the restaurant picture.

4. There are short thinner black lines 90 degree against each other at the bottom of some columns that match between the scene with Ellen in HHNF and the current pictures of the lobby!

Too many coincidences for me! I think today´s bar in the restaurant was the room they filmed in - the floor pattern and the columns locations match exactly in my bar picture below. The door C&T&Cyrus came in would be the kitchen door then which fits to its appearance (today it is a smaller door, not two swing doors). Maybe the long mirror in the bar replaced the glass brick wall as I could not find any pictures with the glass brick wall, not even on the page of the interior designer who refurnished the hotel a few years ago. I am sure @C Glide can make some pics on site soon to prove the restaurant or another room of the hotel as the filming location? 

I would say it was the Tides at 95% confidence.

Does anyone have better proof pictures or a better idea for that location?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-06 um 22.33.40.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-06 um 22.34.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-07 um 19.46.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-07 um 19.44.41.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-07 um 20.02.59.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-07 um 20.39.14.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-07 um 19.54.19.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-07 um 20.38.44.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Tom said:

SMALL UNKNOWN LOCATION FOUND

I am 95% sure that the homeless shelter was filmed inside the Tides hotel at 1220 Ocean Drive. See also my pictures below.

1. The Tides is the only hotel near the other locations in this episode (Leslie 1244 Ocean Dr, 1238 Ocean Drive) that is wide enough for the homeless scene which shows a very longish building.

2. The Tides has the same white round columns that match in width (approx 3 feet) and at the bottom of the columns (small black tiles seam in the episode still match between Honor among thieves and the scene in Hell hath no fury that filmed inside as well when Ellen picks up the magazine). Current photos show that the small tile seam is still there but was painted over in white.

3. The floor pattern matches exactly: the Tides has the same rectangular floor pattern with thick black rectangles with narrower grey lines going through and a smaller dark red line that looks nearly black on the episode stills due to filters used. There is also a yellow line. I tried to change the color temperature on that still to show that better to you. The floor pattern matches exactly with current pics from the Tides restaurant! The round black pattern around the columns is also there, as can be seen in the restaurant picture.

4. There are short thinner black lines 90 degree against each other at the bottom of some columns that match between the scene with Ellen in HHNF and the current pictures of the lobby!

Too many coincidences for me! I think today´s bar in the restaurant was the room they filmed in - the floor pattern and the columns locations match exactly in my bar picture below. The door C&T&Cyrus came in would be the kitchen door then which fits to its appearance (today it is a smaller door, not two swing doors). Maybe the long mirror in the bar replaced the glass brick wall as I could not find any pictures with the glass brick wall, not even on the page of the interior designer who refurnished the hotel a few years ago. I am sure @C Glide can make some pics on site soon to prove the restaurant or another room of the hotel as the filming location? 

I would say it was the Tides at 95% confidence.

Does anyone have better proof pictures or a better idea for that location?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-06 um 22.33.40.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-06 um 22.34.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-07 um 19.46.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-07 um 19.44.41.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-07 um 20.02.59.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-07 um 20.39.14.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-07 um 19.54.19.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-07 um 20.38.44.png

That is a great find - I’m sure that all works and adds up to me. 
Too bad this location has been closed since 2017 unfortunately not due to open anytime soon.

vor einer Stunde schrieb Matt5:

That is a great find - I’m sure that all works and adds up to me. 
Too bad this location has been closed since 2017 unfortunately not due to open anytime soon.

I didn’t know that it closed. Such a shame !

On 5/13/2020 at 8:27 AM, Matt5 said:

This is a great find - well done.

This lake is of course where I looked when doing my site but I have not been able to confirm it even with the water tower as the historic aerials don't show anything that matches well enough along the lake though it is highly likely.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb C Glide:

This lake is of course where I looked when doing my site but I have not been able to confirm it even with the water tower as the historic aerials don't show anything that matches well enough along the lake though it is highly likely.

I think this unique curve of the lake’s edge clearly be seen on the aerial and the relative location of the water tower are good enough to confirm that location.

Edited by Tom