Miami Movie - There's Something About Mary

airtommy

Assuming you can handle the grossout jokes, this is a hilarious comedy, one of my favorites of all-time. Best of all, there's plenty of Miami scenery.Mary dines with her friends as Pat Healy eavesdropsThe Red Fish GrillMatheson Hammock9610 Old Cutler RoadCoral Gables Ted first meets Mary in MiamiThis is filmed in the Brickell area. In the background you can see the bridge to Brickell Key. The first and last scenes of "Smuggler's Blues" were filmed on this bridge.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

• Like 1

Many of the locations for this movie have been identified in The Worldwide Guide to Movie Locations.=================================================Ted & Mary's High SchoolPlantation City Hall 400 NW 73rd Ave Plantation, FL =================================================Ted's hotelCardozo Hotel1300 Ocean Drive Miami Beach, FL=================================================Pat Healy (Matt Dillon) meets Sully to discuss his findingsBig Pink Restaurant157 Collins Avenue Miami Beach=================================================Mary & Pat Healy attend architecture exhibitCenter for the Fine Arts in the Miami Dade Cultural Center101 West Flagler Street Miami, FLEingefügtes Bild

• Like 1

Mary's house2066 N. Bayshore Drive Miami Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildThe future of Mary's houseThe entire block is has been redeveloped into the Paramount Bay condominium tower. Supposedly, they planned to preserve Mary's house and turn it into a restaurant. The architect of the complex is Arquitectonica, the famous firm which designed the Atlantis and many other famous Miami buildings.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild
  • Like 1

I suspect that the beach football game was filmed at Matheson Hammock Park, but this is still unconfirmed.===================================Golf Driving RangeAqua Golf Driving Range2250 S Park Road Hallandale, FLwww.aquagolfrange.comEingefügtes Bild

Yep, There's Something About Mary is a classic with some superb scenery in it.The 'Rhode Island' house where the zipper incident occured is actually in Coral Gables. Infact it's just around the corner from the Biltmore.Here's a photo what I took of it:Eingefügtes BildFor more pics go here:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?377-Miami-pics/page7

• Like 1

A few more locations need identifying:The car racing track / baseball placeThe shops where Ted and Warren got the costumes The place where Warren was fishing and the hook got caught in Ted's faceSully's apartment building

• 1 year later...

The car racing place was Malibu Grand Prix at 7775 NW 7 ST., Miami. There's apartments on that site nowThe fishing hook in face scene was at Matheson Hammock Park, Coral Gables

• Like 1

THe Farrellys said on the DVD that the scene of jonathan richman singing in the Providence street at night was actually filmed in downtown Miami

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Found! Sully's apartment. I will update my site very soon.Should look familiar as it appears only some vegetation has changed.Eingefügtes Bild

Found! Sully's apartment. I will update my site very soon.Should look familiar as it appears only some vegetation has changed.Eingefügtes Bild

Great !Strange looking place :D

• 10 years later...
On 7/19/2010 at 11:15 AM, Tommy Vercetti said:

A few more locations need identifying:The car racing track / baseball placeThe shops where Ted and Warren got the costumes The place where Warren was fishing and the hook got caught in Ted's faceSully's apartment building

I'm fairly certain the costume shop was in Coconut Grove downtown, judging from the brick pavement look. Commodore Plaza is a perfect candidate for this because it house several shops/galleries etc which would fit the profile of the store. In fact both Commodore Plaza and Fuller Street appear to have 875 street addresses. Unfortunately even earliest available Google Street Views (2008) don't reveal what we see in the movie. 

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Paul Veres:

I'm fairly certain the costume shop was in Coconut Grove downtown, judging from the brick pavement look. Commodore Plaza is a perfect candidate for this because it house several shops/galleries etc which would fit the profile of the store. In fact both Commodore Plaza and Fuller Street appear to have 875 street addresses. Unfortunately even earliest available Google Street Views (2008) don't reveal what we see in the movie. 

Don´t wanna ba a spoiler here, but there is NO 875 street address anywhere around the Commodore Plaza area. All numbers in that area are around 3000-3400.

So, no way that 875 can be there (it also does not look like a shop number within a mall). I agree that the color of the ped walk and the look of the shop front is a strong indication for the Cocowalk area though.

Problem is they had no other location in use that was near Coconut Grove center or had a similar street number. The closest was the cigar factory on the 10th block of SW 8th Street, but there is no 875 SW 8 Street number either. Easy to check on google.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-29 um 13.19.55.png

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Don´t wanna ba a spoiler here, but there is NO 875 street address anywhere around the Commodore Plaza area. All numbers in that area are around 3000-3400.

So, no way that 875 can be there (it also does not look like a shop number within a mall). I agree that the color of the ped walk and the look of the shop front is a strong indication for the Cocowalk area though.

Problem is they had no other location in use that was near Coconut Grove center or had a similar street number. The closest was the cigar factory on the 10th block of SW 8th Street, but there is no 875 SW 8 Street number either. Easy to check on google.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-29 um 13.19.55.png

Yeah it's a bit confusing and I didn't check the street view itself, I was simply typing in the '875' number with the street and it was indicating there is such address there:

617520493_Screenshot2023-01-29090424.png.2a17b02f60a9fb3a5d247e1d7f52ab9d.png

But you know what, 8th street also made me thinking, an 875 is a perfect address for some place on the 8th block, not the SW 8th Street itself, and Calle Ocho has similar brick, including crossing avenues continuing with the brick sidewalk off Calle Ocho. So it could be a side street somewhere at Calle Ocho, but I wasn't able to find anything matching. 

As I'm watching the footage again though, I'm noticing our good friend reflection. There are a few shots where you can see stuff across from the store, but this one is the best:

417861517_vlcsnap-2023-01-29-08h43m45s562mod.png.2010ba379a1db647eacba4efeb2a27c0.png

You can see a big street light pole, and some cars parked in a mall parking fashion. The light is more of a street light though, not a parking lot light. The road between the sidewalk and the parking is less legible. And the thing in the far back is probably just a power line pole. 

Given this, I'm losing faith into tight streets like Cocowalk area or Calle Ocho. On the other hand, there are not a lot of places in Miami with that kind of brick pavement, it has to be an older location as in modern times it's been all concrete pours. 

Btw I also did check on the House of Homes Realty sign, but found no such business in relevant areas.

I think if we keep iterating we can crack this one relatively quickly.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Paul Veres:

Yeah it's a bit confusing and I didn't check the street view itself, I was simply typing in the '875' number with the street and it was indicating there is such address there:

617520493_Screenshot2023-01-29090424.png.2a17b02f60a9fb3a5d247e1d7f52ab9d.png

But you know what, 8th street also made me thinking, an 875 is a perfect address for some place on the 8th block, not the SW 8th Street itself, and Calle Ocho has similar brick, including crossing avenues continuing with the brick sidewalk off Calle Ocho. So it could be a side street somewhere at Calle Ocho, but I wasn't able to find anything matching. 

As I'm watching the footage again though, I'm noticing our good friend reflection. There are a few shots where you can see stuff across from the store, but this one is the best:

417861517_vlcsnap-2023-01-29-08h43m45s562mod.png.2010ba379a1db647eacba4efeb2a27c0.png

You can see a big street light pole, and some cars parked in a mall parking fashion. The light is more of a street light though, not a parking lot light. The road between the sidewalk and the parking is less legible. And the thing in the far back is probably just a power line pole. 

Given this, I'm losing faith into tight streets like Cocowalk area or Calle Ocho. On the other hand, there are not a lot of places in Miami with that kind of brick pavement, it has to be an older location as in modern times it's been all concrete pours. 

Btw I also did check on the House of Homes Realty sign, but found no such business in relevant areas.

I think if we keep iterating we can crack this one relatively quickly.

Given the other locations in this movie and applying usual location logistics logic (costume shop is a very short exterior scene) the commercial areas around Miracle Mile and further down around Shops at Merrick Park are a possibility .There are some 875 street numbers around there, but nothing found so far. The reflection in the window shows that the other side of street is open ground without any highrises in the background, that rules out typical shopping streets, regardless whether tight like Fuller Street or wide like Miracle Mile. 

@Paul VeresOK, you can call the search dogs off.

It´s 875 NE 125 Street, close to studio (they also shot most apartment interior scenes in Greenwich Studios, like MV). The shop was Mark Corbin Antiques, but is closed now. Across is the parking lot we saw in the reflection. Unfortunately, there is no street view directly in front of the shop address, for whatever reason.

The oldest available street view of 2008 proves that there was a reddish ped walk and the entrance fits too. See below.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-29 um 15.51.18.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-29 um 15.54.07.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-29 um 16.07.14.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-29 um 16.11.26.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-29 um 16.13.56.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

@Paul VeresOK, you can call the search dogs off.

It´s 875 NE 125 Street, close to studio (they also shot most apartment interior scenes in Greenwich Studios, like MV). The shop was Mark Corbin Antiques, but is closed now. Across is the parking lot we saw in the reflection. Unfortunately, there is no street view directly in front of the shop address, for whatever reason.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-29 um 15.51.18.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-29 um 15.54.07.png

Nice job Tom! I've never been to this shopping area before, will need to check it out. Think I drove by few times on the way from I-95 through the gas station with the best view from MV to Miami Beach.

The building changed significantly, even though all the changes are somewhat cosmetic, but I like, among other things, the match of the "columns" on the roof which are now quite different. The brick is different color... And these window awnings are often treacherous new elements sometimes making it hard to identify facades.

One thing I find interesting is the lack of that double light pole. I now think it's an artifact coming from the reflection having 3 layers of glass (front window, side window, opened door) which artificially doubled a light pole from the street. Pretty unique reflection deceit if I'm correct. 

Btw I do see a street view directly in front, including the earliest from 2008 where the red brick is still there.

1905113597_Screenshot2023-01-29101533.thumb.png.382370465c32255d6eac5df1602ac239.png

• Like 1