Miami Movie - There's Something About Mary

airtommy

vor 11 Minuten schrieb Paul Veres:

Nice job Tom! I've never been to this shopping area before, will need to check it out. Think I drove by few times on the way from I-95 through the gas station with the best view from MV to Miami Beach.

The building changed significantly, even though all the changes are somewhat cosmetic, but I like, among other things, the match of the "columns" on the roof which are now quite different. The brick is different color... And these window awnings are often treacherous new elements sometimes making it hard to identify facades.

One thing I find interesting is the lack of that double light pole. I now think it's an artifact coming from the reflection having 3 layers of glass (front window, side window, opened door) which artificially doubled a light pole from the street. Pretty unique reflection deceit if I'm correct. 

Btw I do see a street view directly in front, including the earliest from 2008 where the red brick is still there.

I meant there is no street view from the the shop side of the street, to re-create the angle from the episode. I posted the 2008 Street view above (which is from the other side of the street, quite far away). Without historic street view it would have been impossible to prove this location, as the building and pavement color changes are massive.

Below 2013 street view is the closest movie-like angle we get where all store fronts look still look like in the movie, especially the significant store front pattern next door to the right.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-29 um 16.28.42.png

Edited by Tom

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

I meant there is no street view from the the shop side of the street, to re-create the angle from the episode. I posted the 2008 Street view above (which is from the other side of the street, quite far away). Without historic street view it would have been impossible to prove this location, as the building and pavement color changes are massive.

Below 2013 street view is the closest movie-like angle we get where all store fronts look still look like in the movie, especially the significant store front pattern next door to the right.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-29 um 16.28.42.png

Oh yeah that door with 4x4 window panes around it is as sure a proof as we need. 

• Like 1

I just want to say I remember seeing this film and watching it with my wife at home.  I literally fell off the sofa from laughing so hard.  Great gross-out comedy! 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
Posted (edited)

The scene where Ted first meets Mary in Miami was filmed overlooking Biscayne Bay behind the 701 Brickell office building.  Ted hides behind a sculpture:

mary1.png.b077ce01b4b8e20e60a19d98cacc3a5d.png

That sculpture is Aquila by John Raimondi.

Aquila (Latin for "eagle") is 38 feet high and 78 feet wide and for the first time, Raimondi chose to depart from using Cor-ten steel in favor of the more classical medium of bronze.  It required 10 tons of bronze.  This massive work of art was installed in 1986.

In a catalog forward printed for Aquila, Rose Art Museum Director Carl Belz wrote:

“To soar like the eagle may not be within our power. We know the kinesthetic sensation nonetheless, and that sensation is in this instance dramatically heightened by the sculpture’s placement before sea and sky, before vast and immeasurable spaces that impel our thoughts toward freedom.”

https://www.johnraimondi.com/aquila

https://miami-history.com/photos/aquila-in-brickell/

2020-Aquila-Brickell-Casey-ps.png.5759691493bfbf4bb846d59e38dccd44.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, airtommy said:

The scene where Ted first meets Mary in Miami was filmed behind the 701 Brickell office building on Biscayne Bay.  Ted hides behind a sculpture:

mary1.png.b077ce01b4b8e20e60a19d98cacc3a5d.png

That sculpture is Aquila by John Raimondi.

Aquila (Latin for "eagle") is 38 feet high and 78 feet wide and for the first time, Raimondi chose to depart from using Cor-ten steel in favor of the more classical medium of bronze.  It required 10 tons of bronze.  This massive work of art was installed in 1986.

In a catalog forward printed for Aquila, Rose Art Museum Director Carl Belz wrote:

“To soar like the eagle may not be within our power. We know the kinesthetic sensation nonetheless, and that sensation is in this instance dramatically heightened by the sculpture’s placement before sea and sky, before vast and immeasurable spaces that impel our thoughts toward freedom.”

https://www.johnraimondi.com/aquila

https://miami-history.com/photos/aquila-in-brickell/

2020-Aquila-Brickell-Casey-ps.png.5759691493bfbf4bb846d59e38dccd44.png

Not a huge fan of modern street art (like randomly dropped red iron beams etc.), but really like this one. Never would have thought it's an eagle, it always reminded me of some archeological dinosaur find :). That's a great part of Brickell for a stroll, in part due to this cool art.