New Magnum PI movie: recipe for disaster?

JonnyDaytona

This isn't up to the minute news..In January 2007, it was reported Matthew McConaughey would play Magnum, with Steve Zahn as Rick, Tyrese Gibson as T.C., and William H. Macy as Higgins. [8]IMDBpro.com has said that on January 17, 2007, the script is finished and the film will be released in 2009.[9] (courtesy of Wikipedia)I'm curious and dubious......what does every one else think?

I think it could work. Matt Mc definitely has the easy charm of Selleck, although he's flakier. I think Mark Ruffalo would be a good Magnum. I know he's not "macho," but he's an actor of such depth and warmth, I think he could pull off anything he set his mind to.

I think it could work. Matt Mc definitely has the easy charm of Selleck' date=' although he's flakier. I think Mark Ruffalo would be a good Magnum. I know he's not "macho," but he's an actor of such depth and warmth, I think he could pull off anything he set his mind to.[/quote']William H Macy as Higgins....that one just makes me laugh a little bit. You are right in that Matt Mc C has an easy-going charm. Steve Zahn may be just a tad goofy to play Rick, though.

There are rumours about a movie since the early 90s. I don't believe them anymore..

According to the IMDB it's in production already...

I like Macy, he's always been a great actor in my view. Of course they'd have to pack him with pillows to make him like Higgins. :)But who will play Zeus and Apollo? :D

I like Macy' date=' he's always been a great actor in my view. Of course they'd have to pack him with pillows to make him like Higgins. :)But who will play Zeus and Apollo? :D[/quote']I can picture him with the hair part and the pencil Moustache, though!

See, that's the tough question isn't it?Do you make it period, or update it?If you update it, you take away from the period. If you make it period, it's just an updates episode of the original series, without the original actors. Me?I'd do half and half. Updated story line, with the old 308, and the old house, if they would let a film crew there again. Hey, by now they've probably spent that money and need more anyway.

I don't know about Matt, but then, I'd probably say the same about any actor set to play Magnum. Tom Selleck IS Magnum. No point going into that arguement, though, I'd just be echoing the same sentiments as the MV movie.I've read that Magnum won't have a mustache in this movie (not a make or break deal, because it's not Selleck), and that the script is going to be serious; i.e. not Dukes of Hazzard (the script IS a make or break deal. Aw who am I kidding, I'd go see it either way).

Please don't let it be cheesy...."Magnum, P.I." is one of my favorite shows from any time period. I pray that they don't mess it up; I too rather them just leave it alone if that is the case. What is the deal in Hollywood anyway? Have they run out of ideas?It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they would just use the same actors and set it in modern times. Heck, if the new Indiana Jones movie still has Harrison Ford in it (which of course it should!), why can't this happen? Hillerman is still in good health, right?

As far as I know John Hillerman is doing okay. He didn't show up on the episode of Las Vegas that featured Roger E. Mosley and Larry Manetti (alongside Selleck, of course), so I don't know if he's interested in doing film/TV anymore.

"Magnum' date=' P.I." is one of my favorite shows from any time period. I pray that they don't mess it up; I too rather them just leave it alone if that is the case. What is the deal in Hollywood anyway? Have they run out of ideas?It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they would just use the same actors and set it in modern times. Heck, if the new Indiana Jones movie still has Harrison Ford in it (which of course it should!), why can't this happen? Hillerman is still in good health, right?[/quote']I agree.....That would be a better proposition, just have the film set in 2008 and everyone has 'grown up' and moved on, so to speak.. I would have loved a reunion movie, having seen the clips from 'Las Vegas' it's evident that these guys still have a lot of love for each other. Realistically, If I had to work with the new cast and someone said 'Jonny Daytona, direct this picture for us.....' Here is what I would do. I would have it take place now, Magnum, TC and Rick having fought together in Operation desert Storm. Magnum would have left the services around 2003 or 2004. I would keep everything with Robin Masters and Higgins the same, though Higgins backstory would have to updated slightly. I would keep the old Ferrari, as it is a classic car now and has a timeless appeal. I believe whole heartedly that he should have the Moustache and detroit tigers cap. Rick would still run the club, TC would still have Island Hoppers. Zeus and Apollo would naturally be very present and loathe Magnum. As a matter of fact I can picture Mconaughey running away from them, like that classic scene from the pilot episode. As a matter of fact, I would borrow heavily from the Magnum pilot 'Don't eat the Snow in Hawaii'. http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season1/Dont_Eat_the_Snow_in_Hawaii_1.htmlBy the way www.magnum-mania.com is a fantastic resource. All you ever wanted to know about the show but was afraid to ask!

One thing I forgot to mention....I think making a period movie in the '80's would lapse the piece into a parody of itself. Just look at 'Starsky and Hutch'!

• 1 month later...
As far as I know John Hillerman is doing okay. He didn't show up on the episode of Las Vegas that featured Roger E. Mosley and Larry Manetti (alongside Selleck' date=' of course), so I don't know if he's interested in doing film/TV anymore.[/quote']Hillerman has reitred as an actor andresides in his home in Texas with his wife, I think that's why he didn't appear in that episode.I think this whole thing stinks, as I did and still do concerning the Miami Vice movie. Don't touch this great show and make it into a horrible movie with a man who couldn't fill Tom Sellecks shoes if his life depended on it.

As much as I don't like Matthew Mc..w/e I think he does look kinda like Selleck and he would probably play a good Magnum. And I might even go see it. It's just something about Matthew that I don't like. The same thing with Will Ferrell

As much as I don't like Matthew Mc..w/e I think he does look kinda like Selleck and he would probably play a good Magnum. And I might even go see it. It's just something about Matthew that I don't like. The same thing with Will Ferrell

I respect the fact that you're interested enough to go see it. Personally I hate remakes of classic movies & shows and I'm not going to support them by paying to see them.You guys know that The A-Team is up next, right? There are talks about Bruce Willis, George Clooney and a few other names as Hannibal.

I respect the fact that you're interested enough to go see it. Personally I hate remakes of classic movies & shows and I'm not going to support them by paying to see them.You guys know that The A-Team is up next' date=' right? There are talks about Bruce Willis, George Clooney and a few other names as Hannibal.[/quote']I'm with you on this one Castillo. I am having trouble visualizing MM as Thomas Magnum as I watched all 8 seasons first run and appreciated Selleck's self-deprecating humor and charisma. I recently saw a Magnum rerun on Lufthansa flying though Frankfurt. Can anyone from Germany confirm that this show must still be getting a lot of airtime over there?

I'm with you on this one Castillo. I am having trouble visualizing MM as Thomas Magnum as I watched all 8 seasons first run and appreciated Selleck's self-deprecating humor and charisma. I recently saw a Magnum rerun on Lufthansa flying though Frankfurt. Can anyone from Germany confirm that this show must still be getting a lot of airtime over there?

I think it is fairly popular there, still. It was big back in the 80's and if there's something I know about Germans is that;1. They have impeccable taste2. They stay loyal to their favorite showsFor instance, when ALF became a movie (Project: ALF), 6 years after the end of the show in 1996, Germany was the only country in the world to have it debut in the cinemas. It was normally a TV-movie but the popularity of the character & show made them release it in theatres there.EDIT: Just talked to a friend of mine from Germany and he says that it is still popular, mostly for people of the 80's generation perhaps. It is still aired daily in Germany at a channel called Pay-tv, which is not basic-cable, but the reruns are shown frequently on basic cable, but is on a hiatus at the moment.