Isn't That What They Call a Litter??

maynard

SALT LAKE CITY (NBC) - A Utah woman is pregnant with two babies.It wouldn't be that unusual, except that these babies aren't twins.Angie Cromar's first ultrasound revealed something shocking."Angie and I both had the look of surprise," said Dr. Steve Terry.What they saw were two separate babies at slightly different stages of development.Angie knew she was born with the rare condition called didelphys, meaning two uteruses.It was never an issue in her other pregnancies, but this time she conceived in both.Chances of that are one in 5 million."Probably less than 100, so far, worldwide, have been reported; so she's a member of a small, elite club," Dr. Terry said.First, Angie had to break the news to her husband."It was exciting. He didn't believe me for a little while, though," she said.Then reality set in.As a labor and delivery nurse, Angie knows this rarity can bring about complications like pre-term labor and low birth weight."Oh, I'm a little nervous, just because I know what can happen, but I'm really excited," she said.Though just 20 weeks along now, the babies are already creating a buzz for the family, which is now buying double of everything, and in the medical community."As far as setting up bleachers and selling tickets, we are not anticipating that, though," Dr. Terry said.Angie and her husband have gotten used to the anomaly, now they're preparing for the givens of parenthood: exciting times and sleepless nights.