Pest control a.k.a. Rodent Vice

cageyJG

There is some kind of animal that I can't localize and target, so I'm hoping the pest control guy can. He makes clawing noises every so often that tell me he's trying to get in or already made it. Somewhere in the walls, ceiling, I don't know, but it sounds like Freddy Krueger scraping his claws against metal! If I were left to my own devices to try and find him, there'd be bullet holes everywhere so I hope we can find him. I'm hoping the pest control folks have discovered thermal imaging. Losing... sleep...http://www.rjmcontracting.com/pdf/2004-012_Bruni_FINAL.pdf

• Administrators

I do home inspections so I know my s**t here. :DSeriously, look in the attic for pellet sized droppings. You can also use a UV light, the kind they use to see pet urine in the dark. Use can take that into the attic with the lights out and look for trails. They urinate when they run leaving a distinctive trail.Also, set up some mouse traps with peanut butter on the trap as bait. Yes, peanut butter.You'll be surprised.Good hunting.

Thanks, buddy! Wonder if I can find a UV spotlight at Home Depot. I'm thinking it's going to be one BIG mouse... I was thinking of inviting the fire department over and buying them pizza and Coke if they'd do a little thermal imaging training at Chez Cagey... :radar:

Starting to think today based on Tim's comments that a bird built a nest in the attic and brought her brood. So they're either in the ventilation ducts (hard fix) or in the attic (maybe not so hard fix). If there's a nest in there, I sure don't want to hurt the little buggers, but I can see mom chasing me around the rafters and me falling through the ceiling.

Could be worse. I have a co-worker that lives in Mississippi, and he has flying squirrels in his attic. Now, that's not a new way of saying he's nuts, although it is funny. He really has them. He says they fly by the light, and grab on to the insulation. I agree with the gun comment. He doesn't want to put holes in his roof!

I do home inspections so I know my s**t here. :DSeriously' date=' look in the attic for pellet sized droppings. You can also use a UV light, the kind they use to see pet urine in the dark. Use can take that into the attic with the lights out and look for trails. They urinate when they run leaving a distinctive trail.Also, set up some mouse traps with peanut butter on the trap as bait. Yes, peanut butter.You'll be surprised.Good hunting.[/quote']Timm, I thought you worked in the hospital? Funny, my first place was a turn of the century house. I remember a rat in the cellar due to droppings and using rat trap with peanut butter. I was going to tell him that. Also had mice running up and down the walls. My cats kept them in the walls but when they were out of the house for a while a mouse came in. I stuffed the hole with steel wool and let the cats in from the built in porch...lol......Didn't have a problem again.....

Starting to think today based on Tim's comments that a bird built a nest in the attic and brought her brood. So they're either in the ventilation ducts (hard fix) or in the attic (maybe not so hard fix). If there's a nest in there' date=' I sure don't want to hurt the little buggers, but I can see mom chasing me around the rafters and me falling through the ceiling.[/quote']Birds will build a nest in the vent leading in and out of the attic. You don't want to touch the nest then the mom will not go near the babies. Don't know what to tell you on how to get rid of the birds.......,but don't touch that nest. Tim, oh Timmy? Got an answer for this man? And G don't tell him to cook them for supper.....:D

• Administrators
Timm' date=' I thought you worked in the hospital? Funny, my first place was a turn of the century house. I remember a rat in the cellar due to droppings and using rat trap with peanut butter. I was going to tell him that. Also had mice running up and down the walls. My cats kept them in the walls but when they were out of the house for a while a mouse came in. I stuffed the hole with steel wool and let the cats in from the built in porch...lol......Didn't have a problem again.....[/quote']Yes I work in a hospital too. I'm a multi talented kind of guy. Since the real estate market is in the crapper, I have to multi task if ya know what I mean.

• Administrators
Birds will build a nest in the vent leading in and out of the attic. You don't want to touch the nest then the mom will not go near the babies. Don't know what to tell you on how to get rid of the birds.......' date='but don't touch that nest. Tim, oh Timmy? Got an answer for this man? And G don't tell him to cook them for supper.....:D[/quote']If it were me and I wanted to get rid of them, I would chuck a couple cans of the Raid Fogger up there. You know the kind you use for fleas and insects in your home.I would think that would work, but you'll have to find and dispose of the bodies or else they'll start to smell if they are large enough.Just a thought.

Hobbits can't climb that high' date=' unless there is a tree nearby.[/quote']Oh yes they can Precious!!! Bilbo had to climb a tree to get away from the wolves in the Hobbit.Eingefügtes Bild

For me it sounds like a marten - not mix p with a martin. I don´t know where you live, because I know that there not martens everywhere in the US. My cousin, who lives in Indiana, has no problems with martens. Here in Germany we´ve got a lot of problems with these little beasts. They climb into our cars and nibble at the wires and sometimes they live on the atticks of old houses. I´ve got only one tipp one of my neighbours practices when she had a marten on her attick. You can buy Cleaning Discs for your DVD - player. If you put such a disc in a cassette recorder and connect it with a time switch so that it plays every fife minutes for some seconds, the marten will disappear. You can´t hear the noises it makes yourself, because it´s high frewuency, but the marten can hear it.Try it and good luck.Christine

For me it sounds like you´ve got a marten on your attick. Not a martin!!! I don´t know where you live and if you´ve got trouble with these little beasts. My cousin who lives in Indiana has never problems with them, but we here in Germany have. The martens clim into our cars and nibble at the wires and sometimes the live on the atticks of old houses. One of my neighbours had big problems with them. She bought Cleaning disc for her DVD - player and put it into a cassette recorder which was connected with a time switch that started to play every five minutes for about ten seconds. You can´t hear anything, because it´s in a high frequency, but the martens hear these noises and they hate it. After two nights the martens were gone and never came back.Try it, if you want to and good luck.Christine

I'm thinking it's a monster. Yeah' date=' a big monster.[/quote']Whooooo - scary!! LMD are you trying to get me all skeert? Maybe only the Canuck divas can rush in and save me!