15 Smuggler's Blues

C Glide

On 8/11/2020 at 11:19 AM, Tom said:

Agree. Unfortunately it seems I am the only one left to active hunting now

not true...I'm still here :-)  but also I need to take a vacation once in a while. Now that I'm back, I'm also trying to do some hunting again whenever time permits.

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 2

vor 41 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

not true...I'm still here :-)  but also I need to take a vacation once in a while. Now that I'm back, I'm also trying to do some hunting again whenever time permits.

I also took a vacation from location hunting as I haven’t found a new one for a week now and feeling withdrawal symptoms already :) 

• Haha 2

On 8/6/2020 at 11:46 PM, Tom said:

I have also heard about pink cangaroos but never seen one :p

The pink cangaroo actually lives at 1635 NW 15th Ave.

grafik.thumb.png.4879d33385da60e459610369e3b79015.png

I hate to say it, but I am slowly starting to think that 260 Ocean could be a false positive. It was myself who had brought it up in the first place, but that was just based on the breeze blocks and the fact that they were filming some other scenes in the area as well for this episode. But now there's too much that speaks against it and just not enough compelling positive evidence. And finding the same breeze blocks on another building might the the final blow.

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb daytona365:

The pink cangaroo actually lives at 1635 NW 15th Ave.

grafik.thumb.png.4879d33385da60e459610369e3b79015.png

I hate to say it, but I am slowly starting to think that 260 Ocean could be a false positive. It was myself who had brought it up in the first place, but that was just based on the breeze blocks and the fact that they were filming some other scenes in the area as well for this episode. But now there's too much that speaks against it and finding the same breeze blocks on another building might the the final blow.

Wow, that raises a few questions. 

First, how the heck did you find that by just browsing around?

Second, that pattern is not a real Art deco pattern then, but more a garden variety fence (it is lacking the usual sophistication of all the art deco railings and facades)

Third: how many more of these buildings with that fence exist?

Fourth: if that is a garden variety fence, they could have filmed that in studio as well. But there is something in the background visible between the fence holes that does not look like usual studio background.

16 minutes ago, Tom said:

First, how the heck did you find that by just browsing around?

I googled for "breeze blocks Miami", a term I wasn't familiar with until it was mentioned by king77 recently.
This brought me here: https://www.reddit.com/r/orange/comments/d4dj9f/breeze_blocks_miami_fl_usa_by_ucitycollector/
Then I checked all addresses in Miami with the number 1635 until I had found the correct one.

Most surprising, you can still buy the damn thing even today. That particular one and many other designs:

https://atlanticcoastprecast.com/precast-concrete-breeze-blocks.html

3_4215564b322049080cd9f60836426d22.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

vor 5 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

I googled for "breeze blocks Miami" I wasn't familiar with that term until it was mentioned by king77 earlier.
This brought me here: https://www.reddit.com/r/orange/comments/d4dj9f/breeze_blocks_miami_fl_usa_by_ucitycollector/
Then I checked all addresses in Miami with the number 1635 until I found the correct address.

Most surprising, you can even still buy the damn thing today. That particular one and many other designs:

https://atlanticcoastprecast.com/precast-concrete-breeze-blocks.html

Thanks that also resolves our unique or not unique discussion, as these breeze blocks have been a garden variety off the shelf block item for a long time and I mistook them for an art deco decoration item. Chance that the whole scene including the yard was studio has risen to 90%. 10% uncertainty for me is the background between the blocks and the reverb of the actor´s voices during that scene. Sounds like a big hall and I have never heard them with a hall like that in Greenwich studio sets with a good mike above their heads...

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-25 um 21.10.33.png

Edited by Tom

22 hours ago, Tom said:

Thanks that also resolves our unique or not unique discussion, as these breeze blocks have been a garden variety off the shelf block item for a long time and I mistook them for an art deco decoration item. Chance that the whole scene including the yard was studio has risen to 90%. 10% uncertainty for me is the background between the blocks and the reverb of the actor´s voices during that scene. Sounds like a big hall and I have never heard them with a hall like that in Greenwich studio sets with a good mike above their heads...

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-25 um 21.10.33.png

Funny, I thought I posted yesterday about these blocks, but I guess I didn't hit submit reply, so I will just make a couple of points from that long winded post that never made it that make me believe it was in a studio. 

When you relook at the blocks, they have a definite angle to them front and back which makes the front and back look different, front appears to be more open, back more closed. Your screenshot above clearly notes the front of the blocks facing the kitchenette, on Matt5's pictures inside 260 Ocean, we can clearly see the back of the blocks no angle and his picture from the street clearly shows the front of the block with the angle. The blocks are 180 degrees opposed, 260 Ocean vs. screenshot. The original idea back in the day was to have the front face the breeze and as the wind passes thru the blocks the air somewhat compresses and theory was this allows the breeze to go deeper into the backyard/courtyard.

But in any case you tend to place the front towards the area you want it to look better. In this case 260 Ocean towards the street, in the episode, facing the kitchenette for aesthetics.

Furthermore the screenshot above clearly shows what I believe is fresh, not completely cured, motor between the 16 x16 blocks and we also see motor stains on the blocks. Almost like it was done hastily and not then painted due to time constraints. Or it was purposely done late so it could be demolished before the motor was completely cured. The mortar is painted at 260 Ocean. Plus if it was done at an actual location, one could reasonably assume it would have been painted long before a filming crew arrived.

• Like 1

vor 29 Minuten schrieb king77:

Funny, I thought I posted yesterday about these blocks, but I guess I didn't hit submit reply, so I will just make a couple of points from that long winded post that never made it that make me believe it was in a studio. 

When you relook at the blocks, they have a definite angle to them front and back which makes the front and back look different, front appears to be more open, back more closed. Your screenshot above clearly notes the front of the blocks facing the kitchenette, on Matt5's pictures inside 260 Ocean, we can clearly see the back of the blocks no angle and his picture from the street clearly shows the front of the block with the angle. The blocks are 180 degrees opposed, 260 Ocean vs. screenshot. The original idea back in the day was to have the front face the breeze and as the wind passes thru the blocks the air somewhat compresses and theory was this allows the breeze to go deeper into the backyard/courtyard.

But in any case you tend to place the front towards the area you want it to look better. In this case 260 Ocean towards the street, in the episode, facing the kitchenette for aesthetics.

Furthermore the screenshot above clearly shows what I believe is fresh, not completely cured, motor between the 16 x16 blocks and we also see motor stains on the blocks. Almost like it was done hastily and not then painted due to time constraints. Or it was purposely done late so it could be demolished before the motor was completely cured. The mortar is painted at 260 Ocean. Plus if it was done at an actual location, one could reasonably assume it would have been painted long before a filming crew arrived.

I agree. That front/rear issue is what I addressed in my earlier post as well as it disturbed me. There is another indication that this was a studio made wall. The angle between the two walls in the Screenshot is not 90 degrees but clearly more. The chance to see an over 90 degree angle in such a building „Cage“ is close to zero (purpose? Impractical etc).

But this angle makes sense in a studio set to have a better view onto the scene.

To factor in the dryness of the mortar is entering another dimension of Location hunting, but thanks for the hint! I did not notice earlier but the dark color and some stains clearly indicates fresh work not dried up completely. 

Edited by Tom

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 3:14 PM, king77 said:

When C&T pull Tucker outside, we clearly see grey plain unpainted concrete block behind them on both sides of the opening/doorway. No grey unpainted plain concrete block is exposed at 260 Ocean. Nor would you expect at an apartment/condo building.

king77 is talking about the wall on the left, which looks very much like Greenwich studios:

concrete.png.c51c888a4b3bd379acbb9447d67db96b.png

And the way the kitchen transitions directly to an outdoor patio (see photo below) is kind of weird.

On 7/22/2020 at 3:52 AM, Tom said:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-22 um 09.42.10.png

Edited by airtommy

vor 11 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

king77 is talking about the wall on the left, which looks very much like Greenwich studios:

And the way the kitchen transitions directly to an outdoor patio (see photo below) is kind of weird.

The whole location is weird. If it was a set (most likely due to current state of knowledge and even more with the brick wall left of the door that does not fit to the sophisticated decoration used inside) why the heck did they decorate a kitchen in the same style if it was not used in the raid scene that took place in the living room? They just could have chosen another camera angle or start later when C&T dragged Tucker out.

Edited by Tom

On 9/5/2020 at 4:08 AM, airtommy said:

I have to admit that I have never noticed the "concrete block" wall on the left before. I think it looks fake. Like painted on plywood. The seams are somewhat warped.

Edited by daytona365

look at this screenshot from "Evan", filmed on Stage D at Greenwich:

grafik.thumb.png.96761c6b5f54b286c8779e63d3fd8e29.png

in particular this stain on the floor

grafik.png.048983b6fa83b86d1821723616f7cd50.png

Is it just me or does that kinda look like this?

grafik.png.abafa097c5e440109291cd3b877ebeb1.png

oh and don't these checkered boards look just like the kitchen floor....?

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 3

vor einer Stunde schrieb daytona365:

look at this screenshot from "Evan", filmed on Stage D at Greenwich:

grafik.thumb.png.96761c6b5f54b286c8779e63d3fd8e29.png

in particular this stain on the floor

grafik.png.048983b6fa83b86d1821723616f7cd50.png

Is it just me or does that kinda look like this?

grafik.png.abafa097c5e440109291cd3b877ebeb1.png

oh and don't these checkered boards look just like the kitchen floor....?

You gotta be kidding me! You are a maniac! Finding imprints of the breeze blocks on the floor...you´re something else!

I am sure you would even go there in person and compare the whole studio floor with the scene....

:)

Even before your mind boggling post the signs were pointing strongly to studio set and this is another piece of the puzzle. Studio D would be the right stage for such an apartment.

P.S. an open question would remain though: why is there an imprint of the block esp. the front side of it on the floor? Did they store it on a new concrete floor that was not dry?

Edited by Tom
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 5:01 AM, Tom said:

You gotta be kidding me! You are a maniac! Finding imprints of the breeze blocks on the floor...you´re something else!

I am sure you would even go there in person and compare the whole studio floor with the scene....

:)

Even before your mind boggling post the signs were pointing strongly to studio set and this is another piece of the puzzle. Studio D would be the right stage for such an apartment.

P.S. an open question would remain though: why is there an imprint of the block esp. the front side of it on the floor? Did they store it on a new concrete floor that was not dry?

My guess, they spray painted the blocks white while laying on the floor and what you see is the "shadow" of a poor cleanup job.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb king77:

My guess, they spray painted the blocks white while laying on the floor and what you see is the "shadow" of a poor cleanup job.

O yeah I forgot spraying. Of course, looks like a „negative“ shadow on the floor anyway. What an unbelievable coincidence that they overlooked that and we found it. The most amazing location evidence case ever!

vor 3 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

@Tom

Even when having dinner at a Spanish restaurant I‘m getting haunted by these damn breeze blocks...

F001D1C5-A8C9-42F8-A69C-D9A3F3C713A3.thumb.jpeg.96e7458e3fb16772e69533057e447321.jpeg

„Even paranoids have real enemies“ (c) Duddy in Lend me an Ear :p

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Tourist:

I stumbled upon this thread just now and I am absolutely fascinated by you guys' attention to detail and persistence in hunting down filming locations. That's super cool!

Thanks on behalf of the crew but read the other episode location threads if you think this one is the top - there are even more unbelievable cases! :D

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Thanks on behalf of the crew but read the other episode location threads if you think this one is the top - there are even more unbelievable cases! :D

I sure will! Was just getting started anyway :D

• 5 months later...
45 minutes ago, Tom said:

the Congress hotel where Trudy was dropped off (picture taken in 1980s)

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-03 um 12.20.39.png

looks like they were filming an episode of Knight Rider there that day... :p

Edited by daytona365
  • Haha 1

• 3 years later...

A nice shot from 1959 of The Biscaya Hotel  ( “ Trust Fund Pirates “, “ Nobody Lives Forever “ ) and MacArthur Causeway looking West from Alton Road. 

IMG_1102.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 4