Episode #38 "Florence Italy"

Ferrariman

They were also trying to have as many famous guest stars (actors or no) as possible. ;)

You're absolutely right about that. By the second season on the producers grabbed all the well-known guest stars they could. I imagine it was also pretty good for the celebrities to be on such a hot show. I watched the show in its original run, and they often teased these guest stars in the promos for the show. Many times it worked well, but sometimes you had to wonder, like Chrysler president Lee Iacocca?????????

You're absolutely right about that. By the second season on the producers grabbed all the well-known guest stars they could. I imagine it was also pretty good for the celebrities to be on such a hot show. I watched the show in its original run' date=' and they often teased these guest stars in the promos for the show. Many times it worked well, but sometimes you had to wonder, like Chrysler president Lee Iacocca?????????[/quote']Yeah, they kinda went overboard with the stunt casting.

I have to be in the right mood to watch this episode. Has some high points but a lot of low points. I understand having Danny Sullivan as a guest star to help promote the Miami Grand Prix (this episode aired Feb. 14, 1986 and the Grand Prix race ran on March 2, 1986 and was sponsored by Löwenbräu. You can see all the cross promoting going on throughout the episode.) The obvious "manikin drop" and Danny Sullivan's acting made this one hard to watch. Solid 5 :p

• 1 month later...

literally eat his pot! :D After that Lewis makes fun of Trudy's shoes...making her and Gina look down like, "What's wrong with my shoes?" :pSuddenly, Florence is murdered and dumped on the street like garbage, from one of the Grand Prix race cars...come to find out she was only 17! :eek: From that point on, it gets serious real quick and laugh-time's over. :cry: I liked the Miami Grand Prix being the back-drop to this one, and something "fresh" or different that they hadn't done before.The drama between Danny and Frank Tepper, the father and son drivers, was played out superbly and I thought both did awesome acting jobs! :clap: The end is another famous Michael Mann trademark "abrupt" ending. I just like this one and the acting jobs all-around--from funny to serious it's something kind of different. I gave it an 8! :thumbsup:

Yeah, the acting by Danny Sullivan probably wasn't the best...sort of like when Olympic star Michael Phelps tried to host "SNL" (and I stress the word "tried") a few years ago. ;) The response and personality of mud. :pBut, this episode still has decent aspects and action, and one non-professional actor, guest-star isn't going to ruin it. That's sort of par for the course when you regularly have different "famous" guest-stars each week anyway. I still stand by my review and rating above. :thumbsup:

stress the word "tried") a few years ago. ;) The response and personality of mud. :pBut, this episode still has decent aspects and action, and one non-professional actor, guest-star isn't going to ruin it. That's sort of par for the course when you regularly have different "famous" guest-stars each week anyway. I still stand by my review and rating above. :thumbsup:

I saw that SNL and it was really bad. Phelps made Danny Sullivan look like a master thespian!

stress the word "tried") a few years ago. ;) The response and personality of mud. :pBut, this episode still has decent aspects and action, and one non-professional actor, guest-star isn't going to ruin it. That's sort of par for the course when you regularly have different "famous" guest-stars each week anyway. I still stand by my review and rating above. :thumbsup:

I saw that SNL and it was really bad. Phelps made Danny Sullivan look like a master thespian!

LOL! :) Exactly! Personally I didn't really see what was so horrible about Danny Sullivan's acting? No, he wasn't a professional, but for a "special" guest-star and the plot, I thought he did okay. By all means, he was of Shakespeare quality compared to Michael Phelps! ;):p

• 1 year later...

Not too bad an episode, the ending of the episode really stays with you..

I was pleasently surprised to see a Mc Donalds in this episode, that was an awesome sight. xD

Edited by Detective_Crockett

• 3 months later...

Some great moments here, but nothing to write home about. I did enjoy the racing and chase scenes, especially in the beginning when Sony just decided to have some fun before Tubbs and that red light made him stop, a great moment for his character. I also liked how the official race scene was drawn out near the end, it almost gave a sense of viewing the entire thing, something you might not see in modern television programming, where everything is done so hyper-speed and often summarized. Unfortunately, as many have mentioned, this one was a bit blemished by rough plot and sub par acting. And by sub par, it goes both ways, as some performances were underplayed while others were way over the top. Overall, I will say this episode still fits in nicely into the entire series of Miami Vice as a whole.

My eternal memory of this one is being away from home the night it originally aired, and arriving just in time to tune in and only see the last 60 seconds of the episode. Imagine how my interest was sparked, I couldn't fathom what I had missed with an ending like this! If I'm not mistaken, the previous episode (Little Miss Dangerous - which I'll certainly review soon) started a 3 or 4 episode run were a character commits suicide. A darker turn here in season 2 has begun. "Florence Italy" is definitely worth taking for a spin, but not a standout episode. 7/10

Watched this one last night.  It may not be one of my favorites but I thought it was well-played and interesting, with a different twist.  Danny Sullivan is from my neck of the woods (kind of) so that was an extra draw to make me watch the episode back in the day.  I know almost nothing about racing, but the Miami Grand Prix seems like a pretty unique event worth setting a story around (closing the city streets to stage a race?!?) and the time and care devoted to filming the car and motorcycle-racing sequences made it feel like a movie instead of TV.  Honestly, I thought Danny Sullivan did a good job portraying a character who was basically himself (probably without the psycho-father issues!)   Good twist at the end because I was just about convinced young Worthington was the guilty party.

A few things occurred to me that I don't think anyone has discussed:

1.  Florence was just about the same age as Jackie (Little Miss Dangerous).  Granted that C&T didn't encounter Florence until after she was killed and her body dumped on the street, I wonder why Crockett's sympathy was so strong for the young prostitute who was killed, while he was so cynical about Jackie?  Tubbs didn't react as strongly as I would have thought (considering the way he reached out to Jackie) to the dead girl's fate.  Jackie was already a killer, but neither of them knew that until almost the end of the episode.  After viewing LMD, I just chalked it up to people reacting differently to the same situation, but after seeing this ep, I wonder if there was something else (besides the writers maybe not paying attention!).

2.  Danny Tepper's dad was a real piece of work.  People were saying he was getting too old to be a contender in the racing world.  Is that the reason he tried to sabotage his son--apparently a rising star?  First, he took Danny's car (a noticeable and memorable car) and drove it around the city, even deliberately evading/racing Crockett (sure to have garnered even more attention that would have backfired on Danny).  Then he picks up a hooker, beats her to death, and dumps her in the street--again making it look like Danny did it.  He dares Danny to the motorcycle race--perhaps deliberately putting him at risk of injury right before the Miami Grand Prix, which would eliminate his (Frank's) top contender.  When the cops let Danny go due to lack of evidence, daddy dearest tells him he may not be his dad at all, and that his mom slept around--messing with Danny's head in a different way.  At the same time, he tells Danny he has total faith in him.  What a complete slimeball.

3.  I'm unsure if Danny knew his dad "borrowed" his car and was protecting him, or if Frank did actually take the car without permission (leaning that way).  And did he have a key for it?  Did Danny leave the key in it when after all he's in a hotel (I think!)?  Or did Frank hot-wire the car to drive it? 

4.  How realistic is it that the video surveillance camera would have picked up such a clear image of Frank lighting his cigarette inside the car?  It looked to me like the car door was even down, so the dark-tinted window would have made the ID even more difficult.  I didn't replay the scene 5 times to check and I know, it's TV :)  But was I missing something and it really was possible for the image to be that clear?

5.  It was good to see the entire team working to solve this case.  No one was simply window-dressing. 

6.  Frank deserved his ultimate fate, but I was a little surprised he didn't try to bluff his way out instead of doing what he did.

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

One of the weaker S2 episodes.

I really dig the opening. Florence was pretty cute. Some funny scenes too. Anyway, the episode really goes to hell afterwards.

The acting is pretty mediocre, especially Danny and the blonde chick. And honestly i just ain't a fan of racing.

Not much to say here.

4/10

• 1 year later...

It was stylish as usual, but of course lacked substance. The acting was poor, the music was lacking, there was way too much filler footage (the race at the end that felt like it went on for 10 minutes) and a lame ending. Who drives into a fricking wall?

People always say Season 2 was style over substance, and this would be a good way to prove that. However, I still disagree. I think Season 2 was the best season, and blended style with great stories. By Season 2, they had found their footing.

On 6/7/2018 at 6:04 AM, pmconroy said:

It was stylish as usual, but of course lacked substance. The acting was poor, the music was lacking, there was way too much filler footage (the race at the end that felt like it went on for 10 minutes) and a lame ending. Who drives into a fricking wall?

People always say Season 2 was style over substance, and this would be a good way to prove that. However, I still disagree. I think Season 2 was the best season, and blended style with great stories. By Season 2, they had found their footing.

I struggled a little with “Florence Italy” poor story and guest star acting. This is a prime example of style over substance here. Season 2 was fantastic but this was a poor episode.

• 11 months later...

If you want to look back on men’s and women’s fashion from the 80’s’ then this is your episode. So many characters and extras and indeed changes had to be dressed for this one. Must have been good budget.

I have to love Sonny’s pink pants, white T-shirt and great grey jacket combo, classic!

I think it's really good and Dan Sullivan's acting is passable, I've seen established actors act far worse.

And I don't think the story is weak, I mean it's basically about murder.

8/10

Edited by RedDragon86

Not one of my favorites (the motorcycle thing in the parking garage was...well...), but I did like some of the secondary characters and the plot wasn't horrible. Vice tends to lose me when they decide to center an episode around some kind of chase scene or two. I dislike The Great McCarthy for the same reason. It's always like "we don't know what to have people say now...let's have a five minute chase scene!" Sullivan actually does pretty well with what they give hime, I thought. Decent, but not great.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 5/18/2019 at 5:31 PM, Robbie C. said:

Not one of my favorites (the motorcycle thing in the parking garage was...well...), but I did like some of the secondary characters and the plot wasn't horrible. Vice tends to lose me when they decide to center an episode around some kind of chase scene or two. I dislike The Great McCarthy for the same reason. It's always like "we don't know what to have people say now...let's have a five minute chase scene!" Sullivan actually does pretty well with what they give hime, I thought. Decent, but not great.

Yes I struggle with this one.

I watched this last night and after the brilliant “Little Miss Dangerous” an episode earlier it’s a pale comparison this episode. A lot of filler footage and bad dialogue- acting.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 6:04 AM, pmconroy said:

He committed suicide, the moment he knew he was found out, no doubt what was going on his mind was I am not going to prison for the rest of his life so he killed himself instead. 

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

He committed suicide, the moment he knew he was found out, no doubt what was going on his mind was I am not going to prison for the rest of his life so he killed himself instead. 

That and he was a big enough egomaniac he might have been more worried about the damage his public image would have taken from the associated scandal. He was rich enough he could most likely have bought his way out of a conviction, but his image would have been ruined. For him I think that was worse than the idea of prison.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

That and he was a big enough egomaniac he might have been more worried about the damage his public image would have taken from the associated scandal. He was rich enough he could most likely have bought his way out of a conviction, but his image would have been ruined. For him I think that was worse than the idea of prison.

Yeah, I would agree with this more.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Poorly written though wasn’t it.

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

Poorly written though wasn’t it.

I think it's ok if you go with the idea that he killed himself to avoid public humiliation, which for an egomaniac like the father would be a fate worse than death or prison.

• Like 2