What is your ALL TIME Favorite Michael Mann film?

MrsEvanFreed

I'm shocked there's not more support for Mohicans on here. Oh well.
Mohicans has one of my favourite endings from any movie ever' date=' where the heroes charge up the mountain to take on Wes Studi and his pals. It's like the perfect blend of cinematography, acting, scoring and action, and it gets my heart pounding every time. It's so incredibly satisfying. Plus that shot of the old guy screaming for his son makes me well up every time I see it, it's so impossibly powerful.Overall though, I think [b']Thief still takes it. But it's very close.

Choosing between "Mohicans" and "Heat" is impossible. These are two of the best movies I've ever seen. He has other great ones like "Collateral" and "Insider" but those first two I mentioned are special. That bank robbery from Heat is' date=' after all these years, still almost too intense to watch, and I've seen it 100 times. I love the soundtrack from Mohicans and how the characters are always running. Some really brutal combat scenes in it as well. They really get you amped. Actually both movies have scenes like this. I'm shocked there's not more support for Mohicans on here. Oh well.[/quote']Last of the Mohicans was great as was the haunting score in the movie. Thought Daniel Day Lewis was excellent as was Madeline Stowe. Great ending as well. Also liked Manhunter for it's vice similarities, use of music and lighting, and use of some of the same actors in the series. Thought Public Enemies was pretty tepid and not the blockbuster I was expecting. Thought Bale was uninspired. As to the Vice remake..well it is just sitting collecting dust as I think it's mostly crap for character development and chemistry (give it a failing grade), just so-so on action, with an average in plot development, but pretty good on visuals. Haven't seen most of the other Mann movies referenced in this thread so will have to make a point to watch some of them so wouldn't then be fair for me to cast a vote in here.

• 1 month later...

It's so hard to pick just one. It feels like the latest mann movie i watch is my new favourite.So I'll say I love them all equally except from Ali & The Keep. Because I don't like will smith & supernatural nazi stories :birdie:..But..There's this really cool shot in the keep that goes from night to day though:thumbsup:

Talking of The Keep, I finally got to see that recently. It's impossible to track down because it's never come out on DVD anywhere, but it just happened to be on TV. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't that great either. Good cast, Gabriel Byrne in particular was great, but in the end it was just too weird.That makes Ali the only Mann film I have yet to see.

Will Graham: I know that I'm not smarter than you.Doctor Hannibal Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?Will Graham: You had disadvantages.Doctor Hannibal Lecktor: What disadvantages?Will Graham: You're insane.

post-620-13892965192017_thumb.jpg

Will Graham: I know that I'm not smarter than you.Doctor Hannibal Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?Will Graham: You had disadvantages.Doctor Hannibal Lecktor: What disadvantages?Will Graham: You're insane.
Manhunter 1986 was worth it for that quote alone! Wish Petersen' date=' Noonan, Farina, and Mann would do it one one time in the style and manner of sequel to The Fugitive. A perfect 1980's movie with music of The Prime Movers and visual imagery.[/color'] :thumbsup:

post-620-13892965192176_thumb.jpg

Tom Noonan freaks me out in that film. Especially the bit where he put's the girl's hand on his face while she sleeps and starts weeping.

Tom Noonan freaks me out in that film. Especially the bit where he put's the girl's hand on his face while she sleeps and starts weeping.

Awesome actor...have you seen him in AMC's "Hell on Wheels" as the preacher?

• 5 years later...

HEAT, easily.  It is Mann's magnum opus and he more or less has said that.  Two of the greatest actors ever head to head.  It is also one of the greatest American crime films of all time (and no, not just because of that shootout, in fact that's a small reason).  I know it's one of Scorcese's favorites too, so I'm in good company.  However, I love all his films and he is one of my favorite filmmakers.

Edited by Bren10
New addition
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2013 at 8:59 PM, Leigh Burne said:

I think thats because he can't go back on what he's doing, Dollarhyde has found somebody who truly cares for him and the relationship could go far but its too late. 

Edited by RedDragon86

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

I think thats because he can't go back on what he's doing, Dollarhyde has found somebody who truly cares for him and the relationship could go far but its too late. 

I always read it as him being simply overwhelmed by the fact that he has found a woman who cares for him and wants him - which would tie into his murdering beautiful women and posing them as people who desire him, per Graham's analysis of his crime scenes.

It probably would've changed him and stopped the killing, if he hadn't then immediately convinced himself Reba was cheating on him with her boss.

• Administrators

So here's one of my weird Freudian takes on this film. For whatever that's worth. 

I agree the film was about him wanting to be accepted and loved and desired as clearly stated by Graham during the film when he figures out why he uses the mirrors. As Graham says, his primary sensory input is visual. He has to see them to come alive (paraphrasing). 

I often wondered if Dollarhyde wasn't crying because, 1. He found someone to finally want  and desire him and 2. The person he found was unfortunately blind which meant she could never "see" him which is something he always tried to make his victims do after he killed them. The second part is the one that goes a little deeper in the psyche and I've never heard anyone comment on that aspect. Or that's because it's just total made up BS by my little psyche. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, timm525 said:

The person he found was unfortunately blind which meant she could never "see" him which is something he always tried to make his victims do after he killed them. The second part is the one that goes a little deeper in the psyche and I've never heard anyone comment on that aspect. Or that's because it's just total made up BS by my little psyche. :)

That's an incredibly good point that I'd never even considered before!

I'm too much into Manhunter to put it into the contest. I know I wouldn't be objective.

I love every single frame of it, it's the vicest movie Mann made (way more than his pitiful 2006 movie). There's so much Vice into it, from Farina, to Kim Greist, to Talbott's cameo, to monochrome sequences, to the music (does Red7's Heartbeat ring a bell?) and all the imagery.
Noonan is a great bad guy and Petersen delivers one of his best performances in my opinion. Superb photography by Dante Spinotti, great taste in colors and in every single shot for a story that screams 80s all the time. So 1986 Manhunter would be over the number one to me.

I didn't like Collateral, I know I'm once again alone, but that's it. I enjoyed Alì, but Heat and The Insider would come first for me. I haven't watched Thief yet, but it's on my list ;-)

40 minutes ago, Jerry B. said:

I didn't like Collateral, I know I'm once again alone, but that's it. I enjoyed Alì, but Heat and The Insider would come first for me. I haven't watched Thief yet, but it's on my list ;-)

No love for Public Enemies? I really enjoyed that one. Fantastic ending.

I can never seem to make a definitive choice between ThiefManhunter or The Last of the Mohicans for my favourite Mann film. Heat is unquestionably his masterpiece, but just as with "Bohemian Rhapsody" when it comes to Queen songs, it's not nearly my favourite.

But I love almost all of Mann's films, to be honest. The only one I've ever seen that I didn't like was The Keep, which started really well but I thought fell apart by the end. I remember being unexpectedly bored by Blackhat, too, but I'd need to watch that again before I could really judge it.

Edited by Leigh Burne

Definitely Collateral. Probably the only movie with Tom Cruise i really like. The night scenes impressed me a lot, the acting, the music. That's why I just don't get why the MV movie with the same director didn't get better. However, Heat wasn't bad either. 

10 hours ago, squeezem3 said:

Definitely Collateral

“Collateral” is really great. One of my favorites for sure!

The Jericho Mile started it all for Mann.  It's a great movie and holds up well.  It was filmed inside of Folsom Prison and won Mann an Emmy for writing.  It also lead to him writing Thief, after doing research for the movie.  I haven't seen it in at least 10 years,  but last time I saw it I was still impressed.  It first aired in 1979.

On 11/2/2018 at 6:53 PM, squeezem3 said:

Definitely Collateral. Probably the only movie with Tom Cruise i really like. The night scenes impressed me a lot, the acting, the music. That's why I just don't get why the MV movie with the same director didn't get better. However, Heat wasn't bad either. 

Tom Cruise pulled off the performance of his career in "Collateral"

Edited by RedDragon86

On 11/2/2018 at 2:18 PM, Jerry B. said:

I'm too much into Manhunter to put it into the contest. I know I wouldn't be objective.

I love every single frame of it, it's the vicest movie Mann made (way more than his pitiful 2006 movie). There's so much Vice into it, from Farina, to Kim Greist, to Talbott's cameo, to monochrome sequences, to the music (does Red7's Heartbeat ring a bell?) and all the imagery.
Noonan is a great bad guy and Petersen delivers one of his best performances in my opinion. Superb photography by Dante Spinotti, great taste in colors and in every single shot for a story that screams 80s all the time. So 1986 Manhunter would be over the number one to me.

And Brian Cox's performance is simply brilliant, his Hannibal is a most intelligent and frightening one, superior to Anthony Hopkins campy portrayal of the Hannibal in the other versions. Brian played Bundy, while Hopkins played Dracula. 

• Like 2