38' KV Scarab's ONLY!

Sonny-Crockett

I'm just curious' date=' how does the 38'KV's stand up to modern off shore racers?[/quote']peanut butter and caviar..............................Which would you put on a cracker?Todays boats have more horsepower per cubic inch than could ever be imagined twenty years ago. Supercharging, fuel injection, computer controlled ignition and many other things factor into this. The hull designs are ten times that of what the older boats had. The idea of a speedboat is to creat less friction with the water. Todays drives, props and hull technology makes these things go at insane speeds!The concensus was that props should push a boat. Now they have come out with props that "Pull" and create less "Wash" behind the drives. Materials have also changed such as kevlar hulls and carbon fibre reinforcement for structural stability and these products are also half the weight of conventional wood and fibreglass.My boat weighs in at 9700 lbs and I am happy with 60mph. My friend Stans' "Fountain" boat weighs less than mine and has twice the hp and his boat cruises at 120!!! White knuckle ride for sure! He even scares me when he takes me for a cruise.The Kv's were a great boat. My friend bought one in 1988, drove it one summer, and then rebuilt it completely and re-drived it , just to get more speed! He could afford it, but I thought he was crazy, as the KV was a very fast boat for it's day. Back then I was only dreaming of a boat like that. I couldn't afford to buy mine until twenty years later. I had a fifteen footer with a 35 Johnson on the back in 1988 with a top speed of seventeen mph!Like anything, designs change, things get better. The boats were an awesome unit when they came out, same as mine, but I am "old school" now compared to the other offshores at the marina. I still turn heads though...just like the KV would today.To be blunt (no offense intended) a KV should do about 60-70mph still with stock engines. Todays new boats can do twice that and not even break out a sweat! A new Sunsation with twin 502's and number six drives will run you about 750 -775 thousand dollars. You can get in, turn the key and cruise all day at 100mph. If you have a fuel credit card with no limit, you can run the poker runs at 130mph with some good driving. Just a thought, if you have three quarters of a million free dollars hanging about?The new "CAT" hulls (twin hulls) even run faster. If you have two or three million to spare you can buy a "Nor-Tech". These come stock with number six drives and you can order them with diesel engines which still cruise the boat at a very comfortable 125mph! I know a guy who owns one of these, a fifty footer with triple engines and drives and you can stand inside the boat with a nine foot headroom. It has a full sixe fridge and a king size bed too. It's a palace on water! (pic below)The other two pics are of my friend Chris and I at the Thousand Island Poker Run in Kingston Ontario. that boat is a "Profile" and VERY FAST! It's only one foot longer than mine and way faster....(oh...I'm the idiot waving at the helicopter)

post-35-1389296308004_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892963080249_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892963080433_thumb.jpg

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sonny-Crockett

• COOPER&BURNETT

• Stinger390X

• Smacky

Yeah the same thing applies to the corvette and ferrari they used.Compaired to today's corvette and the 512tr, both the testarossa and the vette they used are dinosaurs. Still I'd take the Miami vice boats and cars over the modern stuff anyday, its about personal enjoyment not necessarily who has the fastest high tech stuff in my opinion.

peanut butter and caviar..............................Which would you put on a cracker?Todays boats have more horsepower per cubic inch than could ever be imagined twenty years ago. Supercharging' date=' fuel injection, computer controlled ignition and many other things factor into this. The hull designs are ten times that of what the older boats had. The idea of a speedboat is to creat less friction with the water. Todays drives, props and hull technology makes these things go at insane speeds!The concensus was that props should push a boat. Now they have come out with props that "Pull" and create less "Wash" behind the drives. Materials have also changed such as kevlar hulls and carbon fibre reinforcement for structural stability and these products are also half the weight of conventional wood and fibreglass.My boat weighs in at 9700 lbs and I am happy with 60mph. My friend Stans' "Fountain" boat weighs less than mine and has twice the hp and his boat cruises at 120!!! White knuckle ride for sure! He even scares me when he takes me for a cruise.The Kv's were a great boat. My friend bought one in 1988, drove it one summer, and then rebuilt it completely and re-drived it , just to get more speed! He could afford it, but I thought he was crazy, as the KV was a very fast boat for it's day. Back then I was only dreaming of a boat like that. I couldn't afford to buy mine until twenty years later. I had a fifteen footer with a 35 Johnson on the back in 1988 with a top speed of seventeen mph!Like anything, designs change, things get better. The boats were an awesome unit when they came out, same as mine, but I am "old school" now compared to the other offshores at the marina. I still turn heads though...just like the KV would today.To be blunt (no offense intended) a KV should do about 60-70mph still with stock engines. Todays new boats can do twice that and not even break out a sweat! A new Sunsation with twin 502's and number six drives will run you about 750 -775 thousand dollars. You can get in, turn the key and cruise all day at 100mph. If you have a fuel credit card with no limit, you can run the poker runs at 130mph with some good driving. Just a thought, if you have three quarters of a million free dollars hanging about?The new "CAT" hulls (twin hulls) even run faster. If you have two or three million to spare you can buy a "Nor-Tech". These come stock with number six drives and you can order them with diesel engines which still cruise the boat at a very comfortable 125mph! I know a guy who owns one of these, a fifty footer with triple engines and drives and you can stand inside the boat with a nine foot headroom. It has a full sixe fridge and a king size bed too. It's a palace on water! (pic below)The other two pics are of my friend Chris and I at the Thousand Island Poker Run in Kingston Ontario. that boat is a "Profile" and VERY FAST! It's only one foot longer than mine and way faster....(oh...I'm the idiot waving at the helicopter)[/quote']Dude, thank you Soooo much for this very interesting, in depth details on answering my question. Reasoning would make one realize that new stuff would be better, and faster, but when you don't own a boat, or know the technology behind it, I really didn't know.Thank you for telling it like it is. That was a very interesting read. :thumbsup:

Yeah the same thing applies to the corvette and ferrari they used.Compaired to today's corvette and the 512tr' date=' both the testarossa and the vette they used are dinosaurs. Still I'd take the Miami vice boats and cars over the modern stuff anyday, its about personal enjoyment not necessarily who has the fastest high tech stuff in my opinion.[/quote']I agree that this is true.From what I understood, the Tesa was an exotic, beautiful, but not especially a fast car. Not slow by any means! But a suped up corvette or camero could be it's equal in speed.The actual Daytona (not the mcburnie coachcraft) was a faster car than a testa was. The Daytona when it was produced was the fastest production car in the world at the time.Although with the passing of time, and modern technology, exotics can even go much faster than it (look at an f-40 a Bugatti, or an Enzo Ferrari), but I'm guessing without having any speed or 0-60 numbers in front of me, I'll bet except for the top exotic super cars, it would challenge or best 93-96% of all cars in speed even today.Crockett's character certainly would have had the fastest car around when he drove it in 1984 and 85. Not many cars would have been faster in that time period.

A quick check on the internet shows how wrong I am.If the info was accurrate, the Testa was a faster car. The DAYTONA had a top speed of 174mph, and a 0-60 time of 5.4 sec.The Testa had a top speed of 180, and a 0-60 time of 5.2 sec. (motor trend could only get it to do a 0-60 dash time of 5.29 sec.)Don't know if this info is correct.

my understanding is that the 365 bb the forerunner of the testarossa, which was ferraris first mid engined v12 road car and the direct follow up to the daytona was actually faster than both of them.the testarossa was sort of a refined version of the 512bb a latter revision of the 365 berlina boxer, which was also heavier than the daytona because of the us regulations and emmision controls.hence its lightness feel not being on par with the daytona but with enough power they certainly could have matched the performance of it, but still still wouldnt of been as nimble as it, and thats the main attraction of 60's sports cars and muscle cars their lighter and more nimble than their latter brethrenCOOPER&BURNETT when it comes to the corvette its weakness was its weight balance and its max rpm level most american cars could only go to 5000 to 6000 rpm while ferrari's typically went 6000 and up meaning that most of the torque and power would be put down to the road at a faster rate than the american ones meaning a greater top speed and acceleration but also typically less durabilty.ferrari primarily put detuned race engines in their cars while lamborgini engines were built specifically for the road hence why a ferrari testarossa goes in for a clutch change at either 5,000 or 15,000 miles (I cant remember which) while a lamborghini countach if properly taken care of can go its entire life without a clutch changeprovided you follow the italian rule of letting it warm up and get its gages off the peg before you drive off to prevent damage to the motor from lack of lubrication.(dry slump lubrication system + small oil passages in a cold climate with an impatient driver equals engine and cam damage)the great exception being fords 427 medium riser which was used in the winning lemans gt40 back in the 60's that had a max rpm of about 8,000fun little note, Don Johnson was given a silver testarossa right after Miami Vice ended to use as his personal car, which being a ferrari had a high rev limit and when he suddenly went from that to the 5,000 max rpm cuda for the nash bridges pilot he blew the motor!when it comes to balance the daytona had what's called a transaxle in the rear and the engine upfront proving a better weight balance and better cornering ability, while the corvette had its motor and axel up front which ment that it was far more likely to lose its rear end around a sharp corner at speed than the daytona, like it did in buddieshttp://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16yfo_deux-flics-ay-miami-daytona-replica_autoEingefügtes Bildsee how the engine sits far lower and stops right in front of the driver while on the Corvette c3 you can see its further away from the driver to make space for the transmissionEingefügtes BildBut this has changed, ever since the introduction of the corvette c5 (fifth revision) its had the same axel and engine layout of the daytona, transaxel in the rear and the engine in front giving it a more sports car than muscle car feel.Eingefügtes Bild

That is AWESOME info Kavinsky!Thank you for informing me on this stuff. Well put together.MAN, I LOVE this site!I'm always learning from the members here!The wealth of information from the members is incredible...it makes me better at my VICENESS.THE MEMBERS HERE ALL ROCK!

• Administrators

As a young child of about 10-12 years old at the time, 1984-1986, I remember my father flying us on vacations to Ft. Lauderdale for the weekend. He had his own plane and we went there quite often. My brother and I used to sit at the hotel and watch speed boats go cruising down the inter-coastal way. This was during MV time and we used to talk about the boats that looked like Crockett's going by. At that time, it was not uncommon to see Cigarette boats having 4 300 hp Mercury engines on the back. My brother and I were totally blown away by this as our dad had a 34' Grady White with one 230 hp Johnson engine on it. His boat did about 45 mph empty at that time which was crazy fast to us. We could not imagine what a boat with 4 300 Mercs could do? :eek:Today's boats must be insane!

100 + in a boat on the water?That would be insane fun. I don't know if I'd be a bit nervous, or totally enjoying it.

At that time' date=' it was not uncommon to see Cigarette boats having 4 300 hp Mercury engines on the back. Today's boats must be insane![/quote']Sorry to rain on your parade Timm but Cigarrette never made a boat with quads. It would never fit as Cig's have only an eight foot beam (width). To make two engines fit into a modern Cig, they have to stagger the blocks (meaning one engine up against the transom, and the other one just ahead of the first engine over to one side) Fountain, Profile and other boat manufactureres use this same "staggered" technique as well.I think your probably referring to larger boats like the Cary. It came stock with quad big blocks with dual transmissions to run the power out the back of the transom. Some other manufacturers also had triples such as Skater, NorTech and others.Remember "Cigarrette" is a brand name of boat build by Don Aranow, and not a generic term like "Kleenex" is for tissue or "Ski-Doo" is for snowmobile.If your talking outboard styles, then Fountain makes these for sure! so does Donzi, but franlky I do not care for outboards myself, but that is just a personal thing with me. I lke my horsepower under the hood! Runnign quad outboards are very difficult to tune as well as they don't syncronise as easily as a transmission adapted outdrive.I hope that explains it?

• 5 months later...
When I get some free time' date=' I'd be more than happy to honor your request! :thumbsup:[/quote'] Come on Coop.....I am still waiting!Here is a pic of my 38KV in Texas after running the TOPPS Poker Run in Galveston bay...

• 1 month later...

New scarab 38kv to swedenHello!I found your forum a couple day ago and decided to drop a few lines:DFound my scarab 38kv MV on ebay and it is currently in texas so i am about to ship it over sweden as we speak.Have a great day all vice freaks out thereBest regards Andreas Jakobsson Sweden

38KVYou bought the boat without engines up near Dallas? I sent the word out on Offshore Only.....sad to see it leave the states, I guess that makes mine worth more?Of-note the Scarab on the home page in the upper right corner is the same boat that 38KV bought. It was being restored and up for auction without outdrives or engines.Keep us in the loop 38KV!I am down in the Houston area if you need any help with shipping?

DO those boats have small cabin below deck in the bow or are they all engine and air to go faster?I seem to remember one in MV that had something like that

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!I found your forum a couple day ago and decided to drop a few lines:DFound my scarab 38kv MV on ebay and it is currently in texas so i am about to ship it over sweden as we speak.Have a great day all vice freaks out thereBest regards Andreas Jakobsson Sweden

Andreas,Tell us more?

• 3 weeks later...

My Miami vice 38kv is loaded and on the wayHello!Just got the word that my boat is oalded and on its way to sweden!I will update here with pics and info when i have on my lotBest regards Andreas Jakobsson Sweden

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Congrats Sweden!Here is a video to keep you motivated!

Anyone have new pics of the 38KV Scarab?any updates?????

• 9 months later...

38 KV Scarab ads

Some Wellcraft Scarab sales ad's and info....

These photo ads are fantastic especially the one with the red clouds. I had a Wellcraft sales brochure from this period that displayed the MV special edition. Having seen this post, I am motivated to dig this out. I will be happy to share if I can find them!