38' KV Scarab's ONLY!

Sonny-Crockett

I thought I would start a thread here for the Scarab. (Stinger guys PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD) Please post pics, episode list, whatever...My 38 KV is a "Miami Vice Edition" 1987 that was redone in 2002. New motors (Merc 500 EFI's) new transom, Bravo One drives, new Trailer MYCO, New paint. The owner before me did away with the teal on deck because it was VERY hot to walk on in the summer, the sides are original Miami Vice. I may repaint back to it's 1987 look whe I get bored with the paint on the deck, but right now she is 100% new and mint.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sonny-Crockett

• COOPER&BURNETT

• Stinger390X

• Smacky

Kv 38Ok, Heres the story. This is the First Scarab used in the TV series. It was used primarily as a close up (cockpit) camera platform. It was also used in some distant shots. There is evidence of many repaired holes in the fore deck that were drilled for eye bolts used for camera and crew tie downs. Two of the bolts were left remaining for posperity. There are three rogue screws in the dash lilely used as some type of mounting. This boat has documentation from both Wellcraft and Universal Studios as being an ORIGINAL. While being extremely lucky to own this piece of history, I can take no credit for its current condition. I purchased the boat from Tom Jewsbury who did the fantastic and fanatical restoration. His attention to detail is remarkable. Tom invested over 160K in the restoration. He is pictured above on the right in the MV shirt and also on the bench admiring his work. ECN posted some pics above. The cockpit picture is not of this boat but the "series" photo of the boat rafted off of the "prop barge" is this machine. Sonny-Crocket posted picks of a sign that go with this boat as well as pics of this boat as well. This boat can be identified by its lack of lights on the radar arch (used on the 87 models) along with a single engine hatch. The other 86 had a split engine ("race hatch") that can be identified by the railings between the blower scoops on the engine cover.I can post more info and pics later if anyone cares to see them. I have to figure out how to resize my picks to post them here.I have been aboard Sonny-C's boat, It is a gem and runs like a scared rabbit!Jim

Jim--Welcome to the Forum!Hopefully we can set the RECORD straight on who has the "REAL" boat and who does not! Lots of FAKES out there to fool the unknowing twit!I have seen pictures of the boat in Holland--another FAKE! Anyone can have a dash plate made up and say "it's the boat for MV!"I love the kid with the 21 foot boat who was on the other fourm....every post had this on his first line.."As most of you know--I own the Scarab used on the TV show"BALONEY!!!!His fake 21 bath tub toy was a Universal Orlando Stunt show boat! Some of us have "Miami Vice" Edition boats, and Smacky has the "REAL DEAL"just setting the record straight!

Wow! Us Scarab GuysWe are sure protective of our boats. Ok Sonny, give the guy with the stunt boat a break, it is a MV boat in a way. However, I'm with you on the originality of some of the other machines. False claims have been, and will be debunked! The Auto Singen Germany boat also has a MV pedigree and is a single hatch 1987. I am going to make a few calls to "folks in the know" and will post info here. I just happen to be a sign guy. Plaques and certificates are easy to replicate. Sonny, If you need a certificate stating that your boat was the "ONLY" Scarab driven on the Sea Of Tranquility (moon). I can fix you up. Plus it will state Niel Armstrong drove it :):) "Now thats gotta make it worth more" :) Ya know........I think I am going to by the "ORIGINAL" General Lee and paint it a different color and add a plaque.PS your boat pics are great!! I dont have mine in the water yet.The same problem exists with the Daytona, of which THERE WERE TWO! I see another thread coming. Lets keep it positive here.Jim

I saw the coolest little boat last weekend!I think it was made in FLA back in the 1980's and it's only eleven feet long. It seats two and is a "Deep V" hull design, only small scale. The guy had this on a trailer and it was dressed up just like a Scarab. It even had the "SCARAB logo" on the sides of the hull and the best part...it had two hatches on the rear deck in miniture to seem like blower covers! It had a 25 Merc on the back and I understand it does about 35 mph on smooth water, It seats two and seems to be a fun little runabout.All I have to say is that it was rather "Cute"!!!It is almost the EXACT replica of the full size Scarab but in small scale.Does anyone know the name of the boat maker that made these little toys?I would love to own one of these!!!

I had a Cougar Cub in 1986. I think it is exactly what you are talking about, except the Cougar Cub was a cat-hull...scaled down from the Offshore boat. I had a 25 Merc on it and it hauled butt! Lots of fun for a 15 year old. The boat you are talking about I have seen on E.bay. Look for Cigarette mini etc... I may get one and paint it like the Scarab.I think they sell for around 1500-$2500 bucks.When are we going to see a STINGER thread????

Mini BoatI visited the shop that produced the boats you are talking about. I Think it was around Ft. Lauderdale. The name of the company was Frontrunner, I think.

Nice PicECN,This is a picture of my boat as well. It is a nice shot with RIck Bravo Senior and JR. (I think) on the deck as well as others. I believe it was from the show Pay back. You can see the eye bolts I mentioned earlier on the middle stripe behind the front camera man. Some of which are still there.Thanks for the post!!!!PS the Scarab will be in the water soon. If anyone is in the area of Sandusky Ohio, I may take them for a ride.Jim

Hey Jim do you ever go to Put-in-Bay?I was thinking of going there after the Pottohawk pissup the third week in July. If your around maybe we can get together for some picture of our boats together?I would love to see your boat first hand.

ECN' date='This is a picture of my boat as well. It is a nice shot with RIck Bravo Senior and JR. (I think) on the deck as well as others. I believe it was from the show Pay back. You can see the eye bolts I mentioned earlier on the middle stripe behind the front camera man. Some of which are still there.Thanks for the post!!!!PS the Scarab will be in the water soon. If anyone is in the area of Sandusky Ohio, I may take them for a ride.Jim[/quote']I'll try to find some others.

Put-In -BayStinger,Yep, we go ther alot. Our home port is only about six miles away from it. We also frequent Kellys. The Bay is by far more roudy. Let me know and I can help you find dockage and launch facilities.Are you the new owner of MY-VICE. I talked to the guy who fixed it up some time back. That boat sure looks nice! looking forward to talking to you.Jim