An ultra-long introduction

Brenda

I've been behaving like a nasty lurker for too long here - it's high time for me to introduce myself! As you might know from my profile I'm a (quite mature :/) female MV fan from Poland. Strangely enough I can't remember watching MV on a regular basis when it was first aired in my country, some 20 years ago. I was away at college then and the last thing university students do (or used to do, it might have changed since then) is watch TV. Obviously, I was very familiar with the existence of the series and when it was released on DVD last year I thought I might take a closer look at it out of nostalgia for my youth. As you might know from other Polish fans, four episodes a month are released here so I still haven't watched about half of the 5th season! I don't mind, though, waiting for those two particular Wednesdays a month when MV appears at my favourite bookshop makes my heart grow fonder, to paraphrase the old saying.I've got really and truly hooked on MV because it has a sentimental value for me - it reminds me of the music I listened to when I was a teenager, of the fashion (I still have some of those freaky 1980s clothes in my closet!) and generally of the times when everything was so easy, and when I was much younger and happier. Besides, I like the series itself as it's so different from today's TV shows. I'm fond of the characters, I find dialogues brilliantly witty and I love the way the show was photographed, I enjoy the art deco architecture of Miami... But that's not all... For the time being, watching MV and following your discussions helps me deal with (although not overcome or forget about) a huge personal trauma experiencing right now. (It's a terminal illness of my closest relative, in fact my only one :( ). When I watch those old episodes, it sometimes feels like going back to mid-eighties when I felt so safe and so happily naïve. I know I'm fooling myself and there is no escape from this harsh reality but I guess it's healthier than drinking or doing drugs - which I'd never do anyway but I know that many people look for emotional relief in this c***. Sorry for sharing this private stuff with you, I just felt I needed to pour my heart out to you. I really enjoy reading your posts and I admire your profound knowledge of the topic as well as your devotion for this great show! I'll try to write something more often and I promise to be more concise in my future posts if I'm strong enough to deal with the present situation... Take care (,pals :))

WELCOME!!!I took great care, and interest in reading your post.Thank you for opening up to us.You'll find that you have friends here.Many of us, in our own way and circumstances are much like you. Many of us use MIAMI VICE as an escape. Although I use MIAMI VICE and STAR WARS as an escape, I also just REALLY, REALLY like it.It too has gotten me through some times. It's something that does remind me of happier times.I do hope you enjoy your time here, and we have a bunch of fans, and fan / experts here that can answer all your quetions.I, for one, am looking forward to reading your posts.(Don't forget to check out my COOPER&BURNETT SCRAPBOOK SECTION. There is an amazing amount of info in that section that you will NEVER see on any other website)WELCOME BRENDA!

• Administrators

Hey Brenda! We're glad you finally decided to join us! You won't be sorry! Let us know if you need anything.

Welcome Brenda and thanx for sharing. Nice of you to see the light and leave the 'lurking' behind. I did it too for some time, so, you're not alone. I know I get edgy after a few days without Vice, so I have to watch a few ep's a week to cope and become myself again. There's just something about this show that just does it for me...:happy::happy::glossy::thumbsup:...Mike

Welcome, Brenda!:blumen: I´m sure that you´ll find some friends here, and if you need someone to talk with feel free to write.

Welcome, Brenda! :) Your profound introduction made me remember the old times of being a "lurker" too. LOLSorry about your relative. In fact, I'm going through the similar situation myself right now, so I can understand you. (Not that I'm facing a perspective to stay all alone in this world... but it's always hard to lose the ones we love). And yes, this site is surely helps to get some pleasant distraction.

Dear Vicers, thank you for your incredibly warm welcome, I was so touched to read your comforting words. I've been visiting this site barely for a month but I feel as if I've been her for ages. I didn't intend to remain one of those nasty lurkers, it's just your discussions here are so interesting that I simply had no time to write anything myself as I became engrossed in all these threads! In my previous post I may have made myself misunderstood - I don't treat MV just as an antidepressant, it's a great show in itself. Almost every week I (re-)watch an episode or two but the show sort of accompanies me also when I switch the DVD off. For example, in real life I see or hear something and I suddenly think to myself, "This is so Miami Vice". :cool:Probably the most amusing thing about "my only vice" is that I sometimes inadvertently use MV quotations at work. I once criticized one of my cheating students by saying "That was major uncool, lady" before noticing that I used a line from "Prodigal Son"! :D

I once criticized one of my cheating students by saying "That was major uncool' date=' lady" before noticing that I used a line from "Prodigal Son"! :D[/quote'] :):):clap:

Isn't it amazing that practically anything that happens in life can have a Vice-type feel to it?..This show can relate to alot that goes on day to day and a fun quote to go with it. Me? Yeah, I'm on the daily program for sure. Mike

I once criticized one of my cheating students by saying "That was major uncool' date=' lady" before noticing that I used a line from "Prodigal Son"! :D[/quote'] :D:thumbsup: Now I'm wondering how this phrase sounds in Polish... ?( Though I wouldn't understand anyway.

:D:thumbsup: Now I'm wondering how this phrase sounds in Polish... ?( Though I wouldn't understand anyway.

I just checked the Polish subtitles on the DVD: "To było wybitnie mało zabawne". A tough nut indeed; I find this phrase difficult to translate literally. Obviously, I said it in English because that's what I'm paid for :DIf you are from Russia, cheetah, you would understand, I'm sure.

In fact, Russian and Polish languages are not as similar as it may seem... but I got some vague idea, thank you. :) So you must be an English teacher? Your students must have a lot of fun with you then, I suppose. ;)

In fact' date=' Russian and Polish languages are not as similar as it may seem... but I got some vague idea, thank you. :)[/quote']Tell me about it :) I was taught Russian for almost 11 years (from primary school to first two years at university) and I found it more difficult than English :D I guess it's always been much easier for me to study languages which are completely different from my mother tongue. Russian is similar but then you run a risk of looking for more similarities between both languages than really exist. Our teachers were always furious when we pretended to cover our lack of knowledge by trying to speak Polish with what we believed was Russian accent and word endings :) It must have sounded like some "Google translate" specimens!Sorry for this off-topic! To come back to our main field of interest; one of the scenes in MV which almost always makes me laugh hysterically is one from "Heroes of the Revolution" when Tubbs asked by a taxi driver whether he works for KGB answers "Do I look like a Russian to you?" :):):)
So you must be an English teacher? Your students must have a lot of fun with you then' date=' I suppose. ;)[/quote']Apparently they do ;) but I've always thought that teaching is a bit like acting and some fun and laughter help foreign language acquisition :cool: Not long ago a student wondered what does "bozo" mean as I used this word when scolding him for something really serious. :p As we all know, some Miami Vice has never harmed anybody. :p:p:p

I'm always amazed how our members from other countries are able to read, speak, and write English so well.I've heard it's a very common language in the world, and it's easier to learn than some other languages. Americans generally don't learn a second language like in other countries. I'm happy other countries are learning the language.

its easiest,coop,i have some friends in england,they told me if they didnt know im german they would think,im english ...what??:Danyhow i wanna learn more languages,right now its spanish,for 1 year now,why is it that most americans dont learn any other?i heard some high schools have german classes`??

Americans generally don't learn a second language like in other countries. I'm happy other countries are learning the language.

No kidding? :eek: I thought they did too... maybe Spanish or something... What you just said is a real surprise to me.

From what I'm to understand, is that kids today in high school may be taught spanish (It was not required when I was in school, so I took another class instead), but ask high school grads to speak spanish, 9 out of 10 times, they can't.I'm guessing that being other nations learn to speak another language (many times, it's English) that there isn't much need for Americans to learn another language, because when the talk to people in other countries, they already speak English.

In Germany, English is a main subject at school. A few years, ago they started to teach children in the nursery school the first English words.

From what I'm to understand' date=' is that kids today in high school may be taught spanish (It was not required when I was in school, so I took another class instead), but ask high school grads to speak spanish, 9 out of 10 times, they can't.I'm guessing that being other nations learn to speak another language (many times, it's English) that there isn't much need for Americans to learn another language, because when the talk to people in other countries, they already speak English.[/quote'] I guess there is some point to it. So Americans may relax. LOLAs to high school kids not speaking Spanish - it's pretty normal, here in Russia most people don't SPEAK a foreign language after school either. It takes a lot of practice to really speak a language, not to mention to speak if fluently. (I don't, for example). Teachers aren't always that good, and it depends a lot on time and effort given by a person to learn a language, to natural ability, etc. Most people who learn a foreign language only at school almost completely forget it in a few years, if they don't need it professionaly or practise for some other reasons.

In Germany' date=' English is a main subject at school. A few years, ago they started to teach children in the nursery school the first English words.[/quote'] In Russia there is also a tendency to start teaching children a foreign language as early as possible (or so I've heard). For example, when I was at school, we started it from the 5th grade, and now they start from the 1th grade, as far as I know. (And if I'm not mistaken, some time later you must take a second language... but of this one I'm not sure, maybe it's not obligatory).

In Russia there is also a tendency to start teaching children a foreign language as early as possible (or so I've heard). For example' date=' when I was at school, we started it from the 5th grade, and now they start from the 1th grade, as far as I know. (And if I'm not mistaken, some time later you must take a second language... but of this one I'm not sure, maybe it's not obligatory).[/quote']It's so in Germany too - my daughter will go to school in a few days - and they will start with English in January!So I hope I can learn English with her! :D

It's so in Germany too - my daughter will go to school in a few days - and they will start with English in January!So I hope I can learn English with her! :D

Learn English with her???You already KNOW English! Your writing it (And quite well too!).Is it possible to be able to write it extremely well, but not be able to speak it?