Burnett's S&W 4506!!

kokopelli

Did you finish it yourself or did you have a gunsmith do it? It's a nice piece for sure. I thought they had the option of blued slides... not sure though. I'm guessing to mod the slides finish may be expensive.

Oh, yeah, S&W did some pretty weird runs with their 3rd Gen semi auto pistols, which means if you had lots of cash, you could buy any configuration you wanted! A couple of the distributors ordered lots with different features- finish, decock vs safety, double action only, etc for exclusive sale to their dealers. Lew Horton was big into this.There was also the factory 4505, an all blued carbon steel version- very few were made, ~1200, and research shows it was only made in '91. It also has the rounded trigger guard.The slide on the screen used 4506 doesn't look blued to me, though, it is a very 'flat' looking finish. Back in that era, there were a couple of black finishes that were popular such as Birdsong's Black T, a teflon based finish. My opinion is that it was something similar to that and not blued. Another aspect I couldn't get definitive proof of is the grip. Was it arched or straight? We never see it out of his hand, so I went with the curved palm swelled version, which was what his season 5 4506 was. I have a straight grip, but it doesn't feel right to me.

The 4506 just never felt right to me with the straight grip either. I like the palm swell grip the FBI used the best as it's more hand filling. It's S&W part # 205000000. I have an order for two more grips on backorder with S&W now. Of the 4506 models I prefer the ones like you have and Sonny carried as it's lighter than the 4506-1 which were built on the same frames and slides as S&W's 10MM model which is to heavy for the .45ACP.

• 4 months later...

The S&W 4506 is a very formidable weapon, even better, is the S&W 645.These guns were made to last, and are still some of the best firearms to own.For the cost of buying them used, you can accessorize them for a minimal cost. I put some LPA sights on my 4506, and it was worth the expense, now that I have sighted it in.My 2 cents worth.

The S&W 4506 is a very formidable weapon' date=' even better, is the S&W 645.These guns were made to last, and are still some of the best firearms to own.For the cost of buying them used, you can accessorize them for a minimal cost. I put some LPA sights on my 4506, and it was worth the expense, now that I have sighted it in.My 2 cents worth.[/quote']Sounds great!How do they compare to the Bren 10?I wonder how the new Bren 10 will be?

The Bren 10, was and is a great gun to own. It was and is very expense to own. Magazines were rare and expensive. However, The Bren 10 was just awesome, with its accuracy and stopping power. But then you could buy 2-3 of the 645 or 4506s for the cost of bren ten.I still would own one if I could find one and buy it.

The Bren 10' date=' was and is a great gun to own. It was and is very expense to own. Magazines were rare and expensive. However, The Bren 10 was just awesome, with its accuracy and stopping power. But then you could buy 2-3 of the 645 or 4506s for the cost of bren ten.I still would own one if I could find one and buy it.[/quote']Are you going to get the new bren 10's when they become available?Several of our members are going to get it. I think they pre ordered it.

I definitely will consider it. I hear that they work out some of the flaws from the original.

Exactly. It looks the same, but it's better, and I think it's a .45 now?We have threads on the gun on this site. Heck, this site has everything. :)

the Vltor bren ten is a state of development limbo right now and the people running the show have been jerking everyone around about when they'll be out and what's the problem I remember reading that one of the bren ten forums members asked one of the vltor guys at shot 2011 about it ,where it was and what was going on with it since there was no sign of it at the show and the guy said the frame was undergoing a redesignalthought at this point its all he said she said and at this point with the actual guns costing upwards of 2,000 bucks and this project in development hell I'm looking for the maxi airgun version of it to fill my miami vice bren ten fix but they seem to be even harder to track down than the actual bren.

Maybe we should start searching on Gunbroker.com and Gunsamerica.com for used Bren 10s.That is sad that they are starting off the production of this gun this way.Thanks for the update.

hell I'm looking for the maxi airgun version of it to fill my miami vice bren ten fix but they seem to be even harder to track down than the actual bren.

Me too. I can't find one anywhere. I tried.

Actually, I found 2 real Bren 10s, 1 on Gunbroker, and the other on Gunsamerica. One was $2366 and the other $2500.I would love to own one but even that is too steep for me.And yes, there are no Bren ten air softs that I could find, not even on Amazon or ebay.

• 1 year later...

745?

Oh' date=' yeah, S&W did some pretty weird runs with their 3rd Gen semi auto pistols, which means if you had lots of cash, you could buy any configuration you wanted! A couple of the distributors ordered lots with different features- finish, decock vs safety, double action only, etc for exclusive sale to their dealers. Lew Horton was big into this.There was also the factory 4505, an all blued carbon steel version- very few were made, ~1200, and research shows it was only made in '91. It also has the rounded trigger guard.The slide on the screen used 4506 doesn't look blued to me, though, it is a very 'flat' looking finish. Back in that era, there were a couple of black finishes that were popular such as Birdsong's Black T, a teflon based finish. My opinion is that it was something similar to that and not blued. Another aspect I couldn't get definitive proof of is the grip. Was it arched or straight? We never see it out of his hand, so I went with the curved palm swelled version, which was what his season 5 4506 was. I have a straight grip, but it doesn't feel right to me.[/quote']Kokopelli,I became a Smith & Wesson fan because of vice and collected ALL automatics and most N-frame revolvers made between 88 and 93. I beleive the Smith he used was the 745. I rewatched the scenes and SB only used it during the nightclub shootout and the lighthouse scene. I don't think it was a 3rd gen.I did build one myself though. Keep in mind that the short slide 4567 had a blue slide. I therefore bought another 4567 amd a second 4505 and build a blue 4565 (4-1/4" blue/blue) and a 4507 (5"blue/stainless) from those two. Smith did make a 4506 LAPD which has a blue engraved slide and I got the idea from there, not MV as I still believe SB used the 745.Mind you, the Burnett character was well done. He had the same gun in a differnt color and the same Ebel with a black face and black leather strap. ideal would have been to give him a black Galco shoulder holster.I'm also working on a dual tone P220. However, when he was cleaning the gun, take a closer look at the barrel. It states 9mm. I mated my nickel 45 frame to a blue slide and it looks good, but the frame comes off to matte/greyish. I think I would want to start fresh and satin blue the slide and satin silver/clear anodise the frame. The controls? Probably chrome, as nickel is too yellow.My seven cents!

well the way to tell would be to try and get a good look at the trigger and hammer of said gun as on the 745 both the trigger and the hammer are black, actually what particular episode was it as its been awhile since I watched any S4 or S5 episodes.

The nightclub scene at the beginning of the last episode of the 4th season and the lighthouse scene at the beginning of the first episode of the fifth season. I've been looking at those scenes for 20 years and always believed it to be a 745. It would make sense, as the gun existed. The single action hammer has very sharp edges and I can imagine the DJ complained about it tucked in his pants so that they actually got him the P220 instead. That would make sense.

The nightclub scene at the beginning of the last episode of the 4th season and the lighthouse scene at the beginning of the first episode of the fifth season. I've been looking at those scenes for 20 years and always believed it to be a 745. It would make sense' date=' as the gun existed. The single action hammer has very sharp edges and I can imagine the DJ complained about it tucked in his pants so that they actually got him the P220 instead. That would make sense.[/quote'] alright ill look into posting screen caps tommorow as I made abit of a discovery about car 1 yesterday Im about to post about.

Guest MetroVice

Rear Sight on the S&W 4506

The 4506 just never felt right to me with the straight grip either. I like the palm swell grip the FBI used the best as it's more hand filling. It's S&W part # 205000000. I have an order for two more grips on backorder with S&W now. Of the 4506 models I prefer the ones like you have and Sonny carried as it's lighter than the 4506-1 which were built on the same frames and slides as S&W's 10MM model which is to heavy for the .45ACP.

If you chose the adjustable rear sight on the model 4506 it had a sight guard, which provided excellent protection of the rear sight assembly if the pistol was dropped or bumped against hard surfaces, etc. It was also one of the only pistols (if not the ONLY one) to offer this feature and was one of the reasons I bought a 4506 back then. This was actually a VERY good thing to have especially if this was a duty weapon. It was also available on their 9mm models as well.I'm surprised they didn't have Crockett use the newly instituted sight guard version when they swapped out his older 645 to the 4506. Personally I always liked the sight guard on this pistol but apparently it just wasn't to be a part of Vice.

If you chose the adjustable rear sight on the model 4506 it had a sight guard' date=' which provided excellent protection of the rear sight assembly if the pistol was dropped or bumped against hard surfaces, etc. It was also one of the only pistols (if not the ONLY one) to offer this feature and was one of the reasons I bought a 4506 back then. This was actually a VERY good thing to have especially if this was a duty weapon. It was also available on their 9mm models as well. I'm surprised they didn't have Crockett use the newly instituted sight guard version when they swapped out his older 645 to the 4506. Personally I always liked the sight guard on this pistol but apparently it just wasn't to be a part of Vice.[/quote'] so your saying that the 4506 - 1's are heavier? it didnt seem like that when I handled one a few months ago and personally I dont think I'd want to go for one with the target sight as it would make finding a holster that fits it abit of a pain in the butt as I doubt most smith and wesson holsters were rigged up for that target sight.plus I would imagine it would have ment buying new holsters for crockett as that 645 transitional pretty much had the same dimensions as the gun that came before it.