MIAMI VICE SCRIPT WRITER'S RESIDUAL CHECK & PAY STUB !

COOPER&BURNETT

Here is another one of those never before seen items in MIAMI VICE lore.

This is a member's copy of a WRITER'S GUILD OF AMERICA RESIDUAL RECORD.This shows pretty much everything, the company, the writer, the TV series, the episode, a code showing it was shown on basic cable, the check number, check date, the amount of the check, the producer's gross, and the quarterly earnings date.It also shows the writer's name and address, but I have (like I did with Pam Grier's RITES OF PASSAGE contract) blocked out his social security number, because I won't post it on the global internet.

This can give you a peek into how much writer's can get paid for writing a script that was made into a TV episode. I hope you find this item as interesting, and unique as I know it is. (The actual check stub can be seen on page 3!)

hpqscan0001-10.jpg

ANOTHER .MIAMIVICEONLINE EXCLUSIVE!

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

Any idea on what the producer's gross refers to?

Good question cageyJG! The "Producer's gross" refers to the individual who "produced" the script', therefore, the writer himself. It shows how much he was paid for the script, and  it includes how much he has been paid so far in residual payments during each rebroadcast of the episode. It's a combination of both as of the printed date.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

Had no idea they were paid that much...especially for reruns. He was a good writer, especially in the first season of Crime Story. Been watching it again...really is some of Mann's best work. Crime Story would be great as a movie[ATTACH=CONFIG]2090[/ATTACH]!:thumbsup:

post-620-13892963169605_thumb.jpg

2090[/ATTACH]! :thumbsup:

You have to remember Maynard, that is for just one quarter of the year. If he were to earn exactly that much every quarter (it varies depending on how often it's broadcast), he would earn $2,133.32 a year for doing, well nothing. He just waits for the checks to roll in! That's what you get for being part of the Screen Writers Guild.    It's not negotiable.

hpqscan0001-10.jpg

(This image can be seen even MORE clearly if you zoom in on it. 200% magnification makes it super easy to read.)

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

Wauw Cooper You amaze me everytime with the things you post.I am just wondering How do they know there is a rerun of a ep on TV in the whole world? I can understand the writer guild would know from reruns in America by administration, but in the rest of the world?

Wauw Cooper You amaze me everytime with the things you post.I am just wondering How do they know there is a rerun of a ep on TV in the whole world? I can understand the writer guild would know from reruns in America by administration' date=' but in the rest of the world?[/quote']

It can be tracked by the licencing dept..They would know where, and when a series has been licenced. I'm also guessing that the TV or Cable stations are required by the licencing agreement to list what episodes are broadcast so they can legally keep a record on how to pay the residuals to actors or writers.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

The writers were generally paid $17,000.00 - $18,000.00 thousand dollars (U.S.) for a script. THEN top it off by adding residual checks that keep coming as long as the show is broadcast (Don't know if that includes DVD sales, I'm guessing not.).

I need to get paid for writing! :glossy::)

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

How much someone was paid for a "James Brown" episode? lol

In that particular case, I think they owe us money!

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

Wauw Cooper You amaze me everytime with the things you post.I am just wondering How do they know there is a rerun of a ep on TV in the whole world? I can understand the writer guild would know from reruns in America by administration' date=' but in the rest of the world?[/quote'] It´s the same with music. Everytime, a radio channel everywhere around the world plays a song, the singer and everybody who´s got licenses on this song, earn money.I think that there are spys all around the world who earn their money with nothing more than watching TV or listening to the different radio channels to find out which film is shown or what song is played!:p:p

I'm guessing it can be tracked by the licencing dept..They would know where' date=' and when a series has been licenced. I'm also guessing that the TV or Cable stations are required by the licencing agreement to list what episodes are broadcast so they can legally keep a record on how to pay the residuals to actors or writers.[/quote']
It´s the same with music. Everytime' date=' a radio channel everywhere around the world plays a song, the singer and everybody who´s got licenses on this song, earn money.I think that there are spys all around the world who earn their money with nothing more than watching TV or listening to the different radio channels to find out which film is shown or what song is played! :p:p[/quote'] 

Well....I think my thinking is more likely than spys with nothing to do. :)Seriously though, I plan to at some point, display this with the writers actual PERSONAL script, which I now own. I think they belong together...the script, and the residual check. There is only one personal script that exists, so this would be a very rare, one off display!

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

:clap::thumbsup::clap::thumbsup: :clap:Can we have a look inside this volume? ;)

If you'd like, I can post a page or so, however, I'd think it would be more interesting for you if I posted a few more pages from his other script that didn't get made into a VICE episode, MOTHER'S KEEPERS. This was just his personal copy (That's his own handwriting on the cover!) . It should read like any other script.

Here's the residual check stub. The check stub's numbers match the residual check record, so this is the very one issued with the residual check record. (One again, I blocked out the writer's social security number for privacy issues)Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildANOTHER .WS EXCLUSIVE!

• 4 years later...

Have you seen this? Some of our newer members have not seen this thread, so I brought it back up!

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT