An article about Jan Hammer

Christine

I found this article in a German magazine and Ithought that you all might be interested in it. I translatd it for you. On this way, I want to thank a good friend for editing the translation for me!:thumbsup:MISTER MIAMI VICEThursday April 17th 2008The "Miami Vice Theme" made him famous but Jan Hammer was already a brilliant film composer.The strikingly beautiful scenery of Miami Beach with its pastel colored Art Deco villas, the sparkling night sky of Miami, the bright blue afternoon sky, pink flamingoes, and lots of beautiful people - that was the picture Miami Vice displayed on TV screens in the 80s. The sound track had the status of a character in the show. It was written by Jan Hammer."It was pure energy," the Czech born musician said. "In fact the “Miami Vice Theme†has no melody but these rhythms and special keyboard parts have something that, obviously, appealed to many people." This one minute title theme for the TV show Miami Vice made Jan Hammer world famous and his compositions, above all the dreamy "Crockett´s Theme," became symbols of the 80s.Hammer, an unimposing little man with a high forehead, a pot belly, and a casual clothing style hardly fit the picture of an important trend setting musician. It was sheer irony. He much preferred wearing jeans and t–shirts. Musically Jan Hammer knew exactly what the producers of TV shows wanted. And he could deliver.After finishing the melody for “Crockett´s Theme†Jan was sure it would be popular. “It had something unique. I knew that it could become a big hit, and that was what happened," he said.In November 1985 the "Miami Vice Theme" stormed to the top of the US billboard charts. The soundtrack sold millions. Because of this success Jan Hammer became a star and a sought after soundtrack composer. But Hammer was not one to bask in the spotlight and quickly withdrew back into his studio. The tabloid press paid little attention to him because there was nothing spectacular about his quiet life style. No one was interested in a musician´s studio work.Hammer became well known because of Miami Vice. But in his mid-thirties he was already well known in musical circles. He started playing the piano at four years old. That´s not surprising because his mother, Vlasta Pruchová, had been the "First Lady of Jazz" in the Czech Republic. Jan Hammer proved such an amazing talent that he started playing in one of the most famous Czech jazz bands at age 14. Before he was 20 he wrote the music for the film version of the classic tale "The Dreadful Sadly Princess."The year 1968 brought the most far reaching changes in his life. On one hand, he got a scholarship to the well known Berkley School of Music, but on the other, it meant separation from home. After the tanks of the Warsaw Pact mercilessly ran over the Democracy Movement in Prague, the 20 year old decided to stay in America. "Sooner or later, I would have landed in the USA, anyhow," Hammer said. "At no other place, I could have artistically developed as in the States. There, I found the musicians who inspired me.†But, of course, he was worried about his family.His father, a respected doctor, felt the regime´s coercive power because he wasn´t allowed to travel and was constantly watched by the authorities. His son, however, went from success to success in the New World. Together with John McLaughlin, he founded the legendary Mahavishnu Orchestra in 1971 that set standards with its fusion of jazz and rock. The LP´s "The Inner Mounting Flame," "Birds of Fire," and "Between Nothingness and Eternity" count among the best fusion jazz records ever created. From 1973 on, the Jan Hammer Group was a highlight of the international jazz scene.During his career Jan released more than 30 LPs. He received several Grammies, and worked together with stars like Carlos Santana, Mick Jagger, Ringo Starr, and many others. After the break down of the communist system at the beginning of the 90s he was finally able to visit his home. Hammer wrote the complete musical program for a Czech TV channel.The music of Miami Vice is still an important part of his life. Jan wrote the theme music for the movie “Cocaine Cowboys,†released in 2005. It is a documentary about the drug wars experienced in Greater Miami during the 70s and 80s. In 2006, rapper TQ asked him to do a cover version of "Crockett´s Theme." The single immediately reached the top spot on the I Tunes charts. Last year, DJ star Moby acquired the famous title theme of Michael Mann´s "Miami Vice". The enduring popularity of his music makes Jan Hammer for all times Mr. Miami Vice.

• Like 1

Although I already knew this information, (Not much I don't know about JAN HAMMER, but I'm the exception. :)) it is valuable info for our members.Thank you for posting it, and taking the time to have it translated, and then posting it! :clap: