Episode #36 "One Way Ticket"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...

John Heard. What else could I say? Yes, this has a solid boat chase and plenty of suspense and moral ambiguity but ... it's John Heard. He rules and makes this episode rule even harder. Love the use of "Face the Face" over his flying scene and the finale. Is it still a 10? Maybe a bit too high but 9/10 is a well-deserved score. Especially for John Heard.

Edited by agent 47
New review due to Blu-ray viewing.
  • Like 1

Guest neworder

Always a joy to watch, this episode blends style, music and action perfectly. Hammer's score is top class throughout, with Rum Cay one of my all time fave Hammer tunes, such a lovely track. The story is fairly decent too. The villains are good, the lawyer is played ok and Crockett's performance is good too. The boat vs daytona scene goes down as one of the best scenes of Vice for me, very well executed, love the long shots from the boat of the daytona and then the subsequent zooming in on the daytona. Lovely stuff. Anyway, decent episode. 9/10

Disregard what was written here before. I refer you to page 2

Edited by Tommy Vercetti

I didn't remember this one ,but now I see a lot in this one I like. The wedding was cool, Jan Hammer on Keyboard, Sonny in white suit & silky, pastel- blue T-shirt. I dig the sign at the Home Bass Club, with the upright bass! Stan always cracks me up. Parle-vou, Frances?- Polly want a cracker? Nice horseys for LMD on the French connection's ranch. My favorite scene is Thurman flying his jet & Crockett shooting down all the targets on the firing range with "Face the Face" playing in the background. While Tommy's fixing Sonny's car, "Mustang Sally" sounds right as the background music. I like Sonny nose to nose with Marcel. Marcel's glassblock shower wall really showed off the bloody hit! Thurman's home is beautiful, and I really like those paintings, which matched Sonny's & Thurman's outfits. My second favorite scene is the speedboat chase with the Daytona on the bridges. Years ago we went to Universal Studios, & they recreated a similiar MV chase. The ending was great. Sonny, realizing that Thurman saw the error of his ways, and since he gave them all the evidence they needed for a conviction, he forgives Thurman & lets him know they won't take him back,in his odd way by saying, "the hell with it, you want to be dead, bang you're dead!" and shot him with his finger! I believe,Sonny seeing Thurman fishing, aroused feelings of commraderie since Sonny always fished to relax. Ah, to be on Rum Cay, fishing ! I was going to give this an 8 but on second thought, I give it a .... 10 ! I've reconsidered and rate this ..a 9, since there are so many I like better as definite 10's.

My original post from May 16 2006Some comments: I noticed except for a few exceptions the music in this episode is all Jan Hammer. It’s nice to see him make an appearance in this episode at the wedding. (what is it with Jan and weddings? He makes another appearance in ‘Like a Hurricane when Sonny marries Caitlin!) The shooter seems to be crazy! Even his colleagues (Marcel) and his boss (Faber) think this. The Vice squad mentions it’s crazy to hit a Assistant State’s Attorney. Did Sonny go to law school? He mentions at the end “you know what they say in law school nothing beats live testimony!†(Later in “honor among Thieves he tells Palma he has a law degree.) He seems to know the criminal statutes of Florida backward and forward. It’s interesting to note that Sonny doesn’t have to be prodded too much by Rico to fill him in on his ‘disagreement with Thurman†That’s a far cry from Rico needing to go to extremes to find out Sonny’s background with Evan. This shows me that Sonny and Rico are definitely developing their partnership and friendship to a closer relationship like brothers. What about the poor bride? Everyone is concerned that the Assistant State’s Attorney was killed and the twins, but nothing is said about the bride, his daughter how she handling it, what a thing to happen on your wedding day! I noticed Zito was wearing a Beret when he was in the French Club. Was this supposed to be his touch of undercover, because if it was he and Stan both stood out like a sore thumb! Nice touch with the Elementary French phrases but were they really necessary (although I did like Stan’s Parlez Vous Francais Polly wants a cracker?). My favorite sequence has got to be the parallel scenes showing Crockett working out his frustrations and grief by running the shooting range, and Thurman working out his grief and problems by flying his plane. Face to Face was a good selection, both in pace and lyrics. (I can’t listen to that song anymore without thinking of these sequences). Notice the difference when Thurman goes up in his plane again to ‘meditate’; it’s Jan’s music playing in the background while the conversation between Crockett and Thurman is replayed. It is obvious to me that Thurman is getting tired of defending the type of clients he’s been defending. He tells Faver he can’t represent these people any more, I thought the angle of the shot was interesting when Faver said it was impossible for Thurman to get out. Faver left with bars between them, and then the shot pulls back to show an overhead view of the stables with Thurman left in one all alone surrounded by other empty stables. That to me pointed out his situation to a tee. Also he tells his ex-wife that the practice isn’t everything any more. He tells Crockett at the end it was getting he couldn’t look himself in the mirror any more because of the kind of clients he was defending. It’s no wonder! I thought that the shooter was positively rude and impolite to Thurman when doing his defense lawyer talk, before Thurman ever began asking him where he was when the shooting of the Assistant States’ attorney went down. Poor Marcel, he couldn’t win for losing! He was afraid of the shooter, and he didn’t like him, but he was right the cops couldn’t protect him! Love to watch Sonny and Rico in this scene! I noticed that after the ceremony was over, Thurman looked kind of wistfully at Crockett, even asked him how he was while Sonny looked at him pointedly and walked rudely way. Sonny was a friend of the ASA and Larry Thurman was a friend of the ASA, could they all three have been friends at one time? It looked to me that Thurman was kind of sad that Crockett treated him that way, In the scene with Alisha she even says are you two still at it, like it’s old news? Also at the end he admitted he was trying to square himself with someone he always thought was a good cop. Sonny’ last scene in this is one of my favorites. Casually cleans his sunglasses, asks Thurman if he thinks their even, and Thurman admits no but it was the best he had to offer. Finally we see Sonny give up his years old grudge and “You want to be dead? Bang you’re dead†complete with the finger as a gun gesture. What I didnt' get was how was Sonny going to use Thurman's testimony, wouldn't that have been disallowed under Lawyer client privilege? Thurman would have been disbarred for sure. I love Tommy, but I swear the first time I saw this episode (on video tape) I could have sworn she said Donny, Donny instead of Sonny, Sonny (ROTOFL) (naturally I heard wrong.) I also like the fact there are two Daytonas Anyone wonder about the coincidence of Thurman driving the same model of car as Crockett? Was it on purpose? Or just a coincidence? I have to give this a rating of 9 For the music (I love Rum Cay)the two daytonas, the plane, the storyline, the horses, the shooting range and we find out that Crockett got a perfect score,the lovely beach scenery with the ocean, and the ending. 6/29/2009 I recently watched this again last weekend (between the Michael Jackson Video watching) and I still feel the same way I did in 2006. I do love the boat chase and it reminded me to some degree of the boat chase Sonny did in the pilot when he first met Rico, except was longer and the boat and car were entirely parallel to each other and there was backup this time. I still rate this a 9.

Episode #36 "One Way Ticket"One of my favorites-I give it a 9. Sonny at the shooting range is one of my all time favorite scenes!!! If we're rating scenes, that one's up there in the top 10. Very effective to see Sonny rolling on the ground and aiming at the targets while Thurmond wrestles his demons in a jet screaming through the clouds. We see Sonny's military training and markmanship in this scene.I felt sorry for Thurmond. He was ruthless and conniving, but he had gotten in way over his head with the French Canadian Mob. His marriage was finished, he didn't seem to have a friend in the world, and he was defending the scum of the earth to maintain a life style that had no meaning for him. He admired Sonny and Sonny's contempt for him tugged at his conscience. So, he decided to do something meaningful and trap the killer by giving up incriminating evidence. Clearly he did something that violated the attorney-client privilege, but none the less, he felt it was something he had to do to free himself from the present as well as the past. Using the "one way ticket" by crashing the jet and faking his own death, he then had Sonny and Rico find the gun and deliver the final "verdict". I loved watching Sonny at the end, when he was ready to blast Thurmond, and Thurmond quietly appealed to Sonny's ego by saying he thought he was a cop who cared. Sonny just about melted and gave up the fight. Rico stood by with that amused smile on his face as if to say "Looks like the tough guy is letting the crook off the hook after all!"The only criticism I have of this plot was being able to accept someone like Thurmond settling for a life on an island surronded by nothing but sea and sand for eternity. Despite his sentiments, I think a man like Thurmmond would go nuts after awhile. It would have been interesting to see a followup episode with Thurmmond coming out of hiding and Crockett/Tubbs struggling to protect him from the French Canadian Mob's henchmen. I believe there was some Fan Fiction out there that followed up on this story line. Wish I could remember who wrote it. It was pretty good.

• Like 2

Like many of the eps that seem to have been shot at about this time, this ep looks great. Some of the blustery and stormy weather IMO actually accentuates several of the scenes. Typical example is the opening scene - love C&T coming out of the building where the wedding reception was taking place and blasting away at the murderer as he escapes on the speedboat.Love the airplane shots as the lawyer goes for 'meditation' - reminded me a little of the jet shots in the MV movie - cinematography in the movie scenes is superb. Also great boat chase at the end.Sonny's wardrobe I really like a couple of his outfits in this one - especially the deep pink t-shirt and blue trousers, and also the orange jacket and white trousers at the end.Great final freeze-frame - like the way it's frozen just before the voiceover comes to an end - that final beach scene is superb - reminds me a little of the final scene from the Shawshank Redemption.We even get a cameo from the man Hammer himself! Although he was a little 'animated' for all of 1 second ! I'm sure they could've taken a cooler shot of him?!Also liked the scene at Tommy's - that mural in the background is so colourful.Liked that the lawyer spoke more with his actions than his words until the final scene - he could've defended himself more when Sonny has a go at his 'conscience' but he chose to meditate inwardly over the whole issue instead. It did make you warm to the guy almost.Another ep where perhaps style is ranked higher than the story, but once again when the style is right it really oozes MV cool.7.5 out of 10 - round down to 7 for the poll.

• Like 1

The boat vs daytona scene goes down as one of the best scenes of Vice for me' date=' very well executed, love the long shots from the boat of the daytona and then the subsequent zooming in on the daytona. Lovely stuff. [/quote']Hi neworderDid you include the scene in the Favourite Scene of all time thread?

Sonny at the shooting range is one of my all time favorite scenes!!! If we're rating scenes' date=' that one's up there in the top 10. [/quote']Hi mjcmmvDid you include the scene in the Favourite Scene of all time thread?

Anyone wonder about the coincidence of Thurman driving the same model of car as Crockett? Was it on purpose? Or just a coincidence?

I think it was intentional - as a few have already said, I think there were parallels between Thurman & Sonny - shown via several things, including not least the firing range/jet flight scene. And so they also shared similar tastes in cars.

I believe' date='Sonny seeing Thurman fishing, aroused feelings of commraderie since Sonny always fished to relax. [/quote']Good point Tony - I agree - hadn't thought of that.

Nmatthews raises an interesting point regarding parallels between Sonny & Thurman. In a way, Thurman is a reflection of Sonny - first we notice the car, then the internal struggle that seems very similar. I think that's why he cuts him a break by letting him stay 'dead' at the end. I rated this 7/10.

Episode #36 "One Way Ticket"

Hi mjcmmvDid you include the scene in the Favourite Scene of all time thread?

I put in quite a few but I stopped after Season 1 so others would have a chance to add some. I did see someone added that scene.

Episode #36 "One Way Ticket"Sonny was always blasting lawyers-in fact, the show didn't usually show them in a good light:1. Good Collar-you could almost say the Lawyer/prosecuter caused the boy's death by making him wear the wire 2. Milk Run-the lawyer told Eddie that the cops couldn't be trusted 3. Hit List-the two lawyers arguing on the court house steps made them look foolish and petty4. Fruit of the Poison Tree-the lawyer defended crooks and was a murderer5. Forgive Us Our Debts-When Sonny was trying to stop Hackman's execution, he went head to head with the prosecuter who only seemed to care about his re-election.Guess Sonny felt he did all he could to put the bad guys away and lawyers did all they could to get them out! No wonder he felt contempt.

Whilst not one of my all time favourites, this was a solid episode that continues the strength of Season two. I too considered the parallels between Crockett and Thurmond, and in particular the flying/shooting range scene. There was also another theme in this episode. The book "Men are from Mars, women are from Venus" talks about how women want to talk about their problems, and men just retreat to their "cave" in times of arguments or stress. It's basically wherever guys go to let off some steam and collect their thoughts. Every man has to have his escape. For Crockett, who at the time was not only grieving over Richard Langley, and who was also ruminating over how much he hated Thurmond, this was the shooting range. I also felt that the reason why Crockett chose the shooting range to let off steam was to discharge his anger towards Thurmond. The significance lay in the fact that the shooting range attendant registered a great deal of surprise when Crockett asked him to "set em up again". It was as if he was that full of negative energy, he felt like he needed to shoot a few more things before he got it out of his system.With Thurmond, his retreat was his plane. In a later scene we again see an attendant speak to him (just as in the shooting range scene with Crockett). As the attendant says, Flying was Thurmond's "high altitude meditation". For Faber, his escape was his horses and his range, for Sagot it was driving his fast car and posing.I loved the nightclub scene at "La Lue". Although I was never a big fan of "Kurie" in the 80's, since then it's grown on me.There was a scene with Crockett and Castillo which was interesting because you knew that there was a subtextual conversation going on underneath the surface. Crockett forcefully points out to Castillo "this guy killed Langley, Leuitenant... and if he's gone then we gotta chance in hell of him comin back!" (i.e "can't we just bend the rules just this one and arrest him before Zito gets the gun"), Castillo replies dogmatically "Then he's gone" (i.e "No, and just for the record I'm still in charge!").The boat chase scene was certainly the best boat chase scene in any Vice episode in my opinion, and one of the best chase sequences full stop. During our first trip to Miami, I suggested to my dad that we hire a boat. We were told that there was a guy at 44th and Collins who hired out boats and we hired one for an hour or two. It wasn't until I got home and watched "One Way Ticket" at a later date that I realised that the route we took followed the same one from the Boat chase in the episode. During both of our subsequent trips, we hired the boat from a different guy based at 24th and Collins, which is where the actual bridge is that Crockett jumps from at the end of the chase. The route that Sagot takes is this...Eingefügtes BildThe beginning of the chase starts on the left hand side of the above picture and ends on the right. Sagot initially dives in the boat and sets off North into Biscayne Bay. The boat then passes under two bridges, the first bridge should be MacArthur Causeway, but it isn't. The scene misses out MacArthur Causeway bridge and instead you see Sagot pass under the following bridge (Venetian Way bridge) twice. On the repeat passing you see what appears to be Crockett and Tubbs pull to a stop (A) having travelled from the East (the camera angle appears to be looking south from Sagot's perspective). Which means in the minute it must have taken Sagot to get to this bridge (he was travelling at speed), Crockett and Tubbs must have driven all the way back to Miami Beach along MacArthur Causeway, then headed North up Miami Beach, then west along Venetian Causeway. A journey of approximately seven miles!Following Venetian Way bridge, a huge chunck is missed out of the chase (in red, between points B and C). There are then two possible direct routes that Sagot could have taken. Sagot had to have travelled along an inlet that links Biscayne Bay to Indian Creek, which is accessible via two points in Biscayne Bay. This is evident by the fact that as the chase resumes on camera, you see him take a hard right and exit this inlet into Indian Creek. At this point ©, he makes a jet skier fall over, then he heads South along Indian Creek. Crockett and Tubbs then reappear travelling across a small bridge (which I don't recognise), then reappear travelling South on Indian Creek drive, just South of Arthur Godfrey road bridge. You see Sagot sail through this bridge as Crockett and Tubbs are travelling down Indian Creek drive on the right hand side of the screen (D). Bizarrely, you then see Crockett and Tubbs travelling down what appears to be MacArthur Causeway, apparantly losing sight of Sagot, over three miles away from where they should be! (at 39:55 into the episode). From what I can tell, the camera was on a boat near Star Island at point E, and the Daytona was around point F. Sagot then appears to travel north back up Indian Creek, before travelling south again. There could however be a logical reason for this. Once realising that he was entering a dead at which he was cornered at 24th and Collins, he may have tried to escape North, only to come across another police boat coming at him in the opposite direction. The chase then ends at the bridge that marks the end of Indian Creek at 24th and Collins, when Sagot realises that there is nowhere for him to go. Eingefügtes BildRoute viewed from Miami Beach.The reason why the area between B and C may have been cut out of the final scene may not just be to do with condensing the scene between Chalks and the dead end at Indian Creek. From sailing through this area, this whole area (especially the inlet between Biscayne Bay and Indian Creek), is a Manatee zone, and boats are asked to sail slowly through these areas. Therefore the director of the episode may have had to observe this rule on the understanding that filming a high speed boat chase may not be a good enough reason to sacrifice the lives of a large number of Manatees in the process.All in all a very good episode. 8 out of 10.

Guest neworder

Hi neworderDid you include the scene in the Favourite Scene of all time thread?

Hey Ive been meaning to do that for a while now, back from University now so shud have more time to do that; difficult one to think through and so many scenes to choose from but I shall give it a go!

• 2 weeks later...

I give this episode an 8. It was suspenseful. It showed Sonny more passionate than usual because of a defense lawyer that he's been at odds with for some time, and urgently wanting to put away Faber's organization for having murdered Langly.

• 3 months later...

another great episode. right from the opening sequence the adrenaline's pumping...who is this guy with the disguise, and why did he gun down those people at the wedding? the stage is set....also, the animosity crockett has towards crooked lawyer thurman appears genuine,"did you trade in your conscience when you passed the bar?" excellent!sagot was a great villain, too. he had the face of a boy, but there was a menace about him.the jet/shooting range sequence is one of my favorites. crockett looked fabulous...."set 'em up again."- "again?""set 'em up again, i wanna run it." great music, too: "kyrie" by mr mister, "face the face" by pete townshend, and let's not forget "rum cay" by the one and only jan hammer.

• 3 months later...

Mountains in Florida?Has anybody ever noticed the mountains in the background at the bad guy's horse ranch in this episode? At first I thought it was supposed to be somewhere else in the country or maybe even in the islands somewhere until a later scene where the Daytona is there! I lived in Florida for awhile and don't recall any mountains!anyway, I have been trying to locate a photo or good quality screenshot of Tommy's garage with both Daytonas, the real yellow one and the McBurnie. Anybody have this?Thanks

Guest neworder
Has anybody ever noticed the mountains in the background at the bad guy's horse ranch in this episode? At first I thought it was supposed to be somewhere else in the country or maybe even in the islands somewhere until a later scene where the Daytona is there! I lived in Florida for awhile and don't recall any mountains!anyway' date=' I have been trying to locate a photo or good quality screenshot of Tommy's garage with both Daytonas, the real yellow one and the McBurnie. Anybody have this?Thanks[/quote']Yes I have, and I have on several occasions meant to make a comment about it but never did. Unfortunately I can't answer your question either, maybe someone else can enlighten us on this one? P.S there is a scene in Smugglers Blues where they are supposed to be in Miami but there are mountains in background but I shall post something on that discussion!!!

• 7 months later...