Episode #36 "One Way Ticket"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...

Wonderful episode which offers a strong plot, fantastic actors, overwhelming music and an incredible spectrum of colours.:happy::happy::glossy::clap:One Way Ticket fulfills everything which I want to see in VICE: firstly there's a thrilling plot around Franco-Canadian gangsters. This is a completely new kind of gangsters, so Director Craig Bolotin proves creativity. I think it's very realistic that there aren't always the same nationalities like Cubans, Columbians or Puerto Ricans.Sometimes there are Americans or in this case Canadians who commit a crime.:thumbsup:In addition One Way Ticket focuses on Sonny and his feelings. I really enjoy the scene where he affronts Thurman after the assassination on Langley respectively when Sonny visit Thurman's extravagant home (wearing a white suite with pastel-blue shirt; and with blue trousers, pink shirt and white jacket!:happy:)The dialogue in the house is very Camera work is marvelous in One Way Ticket. The flight scenes, the scene where Marcel gets killed in his shower, the scenes where Sonny does the firing practice and the boat-chase scenes are absolutely first-class. :clap:I know cinema movies where such scenes are less elaborately produced than here!!!One of my favourite moments of VICE is the firing practice scene. I watched it for the first time because it is cut in the German version. The close up of Donnie's face (wearing the Wayfarer) and the handling with his Bren Ten is really great.:happy:Style and design is bombastic. When I'm watching such an episode, I'm sad that the 80s are over and doesn't come back.Concerning music, I love Jan's Last Flight and Sagot's Theme (covered by Rick Leon). :radio:10 of 10 points!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

This is a very good episode. Not a pefect one, but thanks to that great chase sequence, solid acting by guest star John Heard (I haven't seen him acting bad in almost anything) and great scenary this really is better than your average Vice episode. I also really like the very end - it's so rare that Crockett forgives anyone.9/10

the story from the episode is good, to take pictures this episode ,i find great:thumbsup: i give 10 / 10 points:clap::cool:

• 7 months later...

I originally gave this ep an unfavourable review but I've had a reacessment and I now think it's a good episode. It has great style, a good story. Sagot is a good character, well played. Opening sequence is very good. It's got a Pete Townshend song, which is cool. The speedboat chase is fantastic and a series highlight. Great shots of Miami Beach there. The final scene on the island is very nice too. This episode is better than I initially thought. Overall,a good episode. 8/10

• 3 months later...

Awesome episode!! :thumbsup: It starts off with a "bang" (literally ;) ) and never lets up! Superb storyline, sizzling non-stop action, John Heard is an awesome actor and I loved him in this, music is fantastic, the colors were mezmorizing, Jan Hammer's cameo as the wedding D.J. was awesome, and that whacked-out French assassin with the crazy hair--wild! :clap:This is also the episode that my "signature" with all my posts comes from--when Crockett jumps into the boat with the French assasin towards the end, points his gun at him, and says: "Blink...and you're mine!" I added the "pal" with it, as sometimes Crockett says that in the show too. :DOne of my favorites from season 2, and I gave it a 9! :cool:

• 2 years later...

another great episode. right from the opening sequence the adrenaline's pumping...who is this guy with the disguise, and why did he gun down those people at the wedding? the stage is set....also, the animosity crockett has towards crooked lawyer thurman appears genuine,"did you trade in your conscience when you passed the bar?" excellent!sagot was a great villain, too. he had the face of a boy, but there was a menace about him.the jet/shooting range sequence is one of my favorites. crockett looked fabulous...."set 'em up again."- "again?""set 'em up again, i wanna run it." great music, too: "kyrie" by mr mister, "face the face" by pete townshend, and let's not forget "rum cay" by the one and only jan hammer.

Very slick episode  :D

• 4 months later...

Interesting, amazing and thought provoking episode, The intense wedding scene was a nail biting and commanding way to kick off the show, the suspense-filled reception and horrific murder. As others have mentioned, it was nice to see Jan making an appearance. I really enjoyed the jet flying scenes, found them to be somewhat enjoyably hypnotic in standalone on one hand, and also excellent as placed with Sonny's incredible shooting range segment. Great pairing, display of contrast with characters perhaps working out the inner emotions and dealing with the current dilemma. I often try to pick up on fun minor moments in episodes....and in this one I noticed Sagot telling Trudy and Stan at an intersection that, among other things he was going to get a haircut. The next time we see him, as attempting to board a plane, he does indeed look as though he has had a trim. That scene of course leads to the epic boat chase sequence, many have pointed out, truly magnificent. I find the sudden surprise ending to be incredible, a true " Wait,,,what...ohhhh" moment.I can't help but think that any other television show would have drawn the ending out for a few more seconds, but that would have certainly not been as nice and powerful as they way they dropped it here.  solid 8/10

Mountains in Florida?Has anybody ever noticed the mountains in the background at the bad guy's horse ranch in this episode? At first I thought it was supposed to be somewhere else in the country or maybe even in the islands somewhere until a later scene where the Daytona is there! I lived in Florida for awhile and don't recall any mountains!anyway, 

I also thought this was a goof!  As the scene progressed, I wondered if what I first thought were mountains was actually a line of tall trees--but I still think it was most likely a scene actually filmed in California ;)  Faber was a frightening villain who could be loving to his child and cold as ice to anyone whose usefulness to him was over.

Wonderful episode which offers a strong plot, fantastic actors, overwhelming music and an incredible spectrum of colours. :happy::happy: :glossy::clap:One Way Ticket fulfills everything which I want to see in VICE: firstly there's a thrilling plot around Franco-Canadian gangsters. This is a completely new kind of gangsters, so Director Craig Bolotin proves creativity. I think it's very realistic that there aren't always the same nationalities like Cubans, Columbians or Puerto Ricans.Sometimes there are Americans or in this case Canadians who commit a crime.:thumbsup:In addition One Way Ticket focuses on Sonny and his feelings. I really enjoy the scene where he affronts Thurman after the assassination on Langley respectively when Sonny visit Thurman's extravagant home (wearing a white suite with pastel-blue shirt; and with blue trousers, pink shirt and white jacket! :happy:)The dialogue in the house is very Camera work is marvelous in One Way Ticket. The flight scenes, the scene where Marcel gets killed in his shower, the scenes where Sonny does the firing practice and the boat-chase scenes are absolutely first-class. :clap:I know cinema movies where such scenes are less elaborately produced than here!!!One of my favourite moments of VICE is the firing practice scene. I watched it for the first time because it is cut in the German version. The close up of Donnie's face (wearing the Wayfarer) and the handling with his Bren Ten is really great.:happy:Style and design is bombastic. When I'm watching such an episode, I'm sad that the 80s are over and doesn't come back.Concerning music, I love Jan's Last Flight and Sagot's Theme (covered by Rick Leon). :radio:10 of 10 points!

This was an awesome episode!  John Heard's ability to show emotion through small changes in his facial expression is amazing.  The moment when Sagot slips and lets Thurman know he killed his best friend is something else.  When he's shown giving away his prized piece of sculpture to his ex-wife, I started to think he was going to actually commit suicide.  The hypnotic intervals of flying as he got his mind clear up in the clouds contrasted beautifully with Crockett's efforts to do the same on the shooting range. 

Interesting, amazing and thought provoking episode,  (snipped) That scene of course leads to the epic boat chase sequence, many have pointed out, truly magnificent. I find the sudden surprise ending to be incredible, a true " Wait,,,what...ohhhh" moment.I can't help but think that any other television show would have drawn the ending out for a few more seconds, but that would have certainly not been as nice and powerful as they way they dropped it here.  solid 8/10

Yes, an epic boat-car chase!  We've seen those before, but in this one, Sagot (to me) drove the boat with a completely reckless desperation for speed.  He knew if he lost the race, he was going to prison for the rest of his life (at best).  A couple of times I wasn't sure he was going to have room to go under the bridges, he was going so fast and so high on the water.

A powerful ending and I thought it was as perfect as it was surprising.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

If I ever get married it sure as hell ain't gonna be in Miami. It's led to disaster three times.

Lol anyway this is another great one. I love the track Rum Cay. I come from a family of cowboys so seeing the horses kinda hit home.

Love the scene of Crockett at the shooting range. I like to shoot also.

Great boat chase.

I like the Bang your dead ending.

Only downside i can think of is the guy who played Sagot.

8/10

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Brilliant episode 10/10

Great story and music, John Heard just a wonderful guest star and the villains are authentic. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Amazing episode. The plot is one of the best so far, and the ending is perfect, Crockett's compasion made me smile, really.

Lots of colors, style, sounds. And that yellow Ferrari looks GORGEOUS.

The only thing I didn't like, is the acting of Sagot. Looks silly.

I'll give it an 9/10.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sebax said:

Amazing episode. The plot is one of the best so far, and the ending is perfect, Crockett's compasion made me smile, really.

Lots of colors, style, sounds. And that yellow Ferrari looks GORGEOUS.

The only thing I didn't like, is the acting of Sagot. Looks silly.

I'll give it an 9/10.

Interesting. I kind of liked Sagot. He was very convincing as someone evil to the core.

The "Shooting Range" scene rates up there, with my top ten MV scenes of all times. The music during that scene was perfect. Each man had a very different way of dealing with frustration. Crockett turned to violence on the range and the lawyer decided to take his plane and float through the clouds. 

Crockett's speech to the lawyer about lacking a conscience, was powerful. Love DJ's angst! :)  I give this episode a 9/10

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

Interesting. I kind of liked Sagot. He was very convincing as someone evil to the core.

The "Shooting Range" scene rates up there, with my top ten MV scenes of all times. The music during that scene was perfect. Each man had a very different way of dealing with frustration. Crockett turned to violence on the range and the lawyer decided to take his plane and float through the clouds. 

Crockett's speech to the lawyer about lacking a conscience, was powerful. Love DJ's angst! :)  I give this episode a 9/10

You wanna be dead?

Bang, you're dead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 11 months later...

This is an episode I really like, and it starts in the beginning with Jan Hammer playing at the wedding during the cold open and Sagot disguised as a young Howard Stern during his contract murders. I also dug how John Heard's Laurence Thurmond spent most of the episode trying to apologize to Crockett and generally being very melancholy (even before the shooting; at least in the end he made his peace with Crockett). I was surprised by the blood shown when Marcel was shot, and I thought that was very stylish; Marcel was a bit of a pill anyways. Also, one of the female characters I like in this series is here: that being Thurmond's ex-wife Alecia, as I feel that she's highly attractive (like Karen Allen's slightly older sister) and comes off very kind, intelligent and understanding in her brief appearance (I also like Becky from 'Indian Wars', and that's actually about it as far as that goes:-).

Yeah, "Face the Face": Thurmond faced his, didn't like what he saw, but Crockett at the shooting range? To me that was sublime, and honestly my favorite "Crockett is cool" moment (those targets didn't stand a chance, and hey, set 'em up again).

The other thing I enjoyed about the episode was that the main villains were apprehended, so they didn't make tracks or get shot to pieces. Generally, a lot of my favorite Vice things happen in this episode.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
54 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Watching this again last night I thought there was a little bit of Evan Freed in Thurmond's character.

What especially do you have in mind?

vor 1 Stunde schrieb RedDragon86:

Watching this again last night I thought there was a little bit of Evan Freed in Thurmond's character.

Good point. Both characters felt guilt for their wrongdoings and tried to fix it.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Awesome episode!! :thumbsup: It starts off with a "bang"...literally, and never lets up! Superb storyline & performances by all, sizzling non-stop action, John Heard is an awesome actor & I loved him in this, music is fantastic :radio:, the colors were mezmorizing, Jan Hammer's cameo as the wedding D.J. was cool, and that whacked-out French assassin with the crazy hair--wild! :eek: 

This is also the episode that my "signature" that used to be shown with all my posts (that aspect must have been phased out) comes from--when Crockett jumps into the boat with the French assasin towards the end, points his gun at him, and says: "Blink...and you're mine!" I added the "pal" with it, as sometimes Crockett says that in the show too. :cool: 

I love the end, when it’s discovered that Heard’s character is still alive...and at first Crockett is going to make him come back. But, then he realizes there’s really no point, and he made amends the best he could...deciding to let him stay there and sarcastically saying “you wanna be dead...bang, you’re dead”, while doing the finger-gun motion. 

This was another Season 2 gem, and I originally gave it a 9...maybe should be a 9.5! :clap: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

This is also the episode that my "signature" that used to be shown with all my posts (that aspect must have been phased out) comes from

It's still the signature that shows up with all your posts, pal :)  at least on the non-mobile version.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

It's still the signature that shows up with all your posts, pal :)  at least on the non-mobile version.

Cool! :thumbsup: My personal laptop “died” about a year ago & haven’t been able to afford to replace it yet. So, I can only be on the forums with my cellphone...which the “updates” they did a while back kind of screwed up some options & things you can see or not see when using the site on a mobile version. Good to know the signature is still there...even if I can’t see it! :p

• 3 months later...

Me and my brother watched this tonight after not seeing for for a while.

My god John Heard is brilliant, he didn't just act he embodied a man of guilt. 

This episode is an example why MV is great.

A+

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1