A clarification... and a thank you from Zubiena

The Argentinean

Hello all, This is a post I put on Vice.org a while ago... Ferrariman from that site asked me to start this one and he will transfer much of that thread here to share the info with our new friends... and save me from going over that same ground again. Thanks for caringJimPS: He also asked that noone post any replyies until he gets the task accomplished. ThanksHi Everyone, My name is Zubiena..... from the 3rd. episode, season 1. "Calderone's demise". I would like to finally clear up a simple point . I have been an actor since I was 12 yrs. old. I am pensioned in Screen Actors guild and Actor's Equity. You don't get a pension unless you work a lot over an extended period of time. About 10 years in each union is the base minimum. I choose, in my spare time, which I had a bunch of, to practice, practice, practice for competitions in the SWPL. I did well and was soon getting sponsorship help from various companies like Pachmyr, Aimpoint, Pistol Dynamics, Cannon safe Co., Blocker holsters and ISI shooting school to compete in Natl. and Worlds IPSC, Bianchi Cup, Steel Challenge, etc. I never stopped working as a professional actor-singer during that time. I have always appreciated the positive response to the 'Calderone's Demise' episode. It was a moment that has made me many friends over the years. I have been told of many police depts. around the country using that section for training purposes. Even at Quantico in the Sky Marshall's training division. That surprised me... but I must admit gave me a feeling of pride. Good Luck to all Jim PS: I never traind at Gunsite

• Administrators

Questions & Answers with Jim ZubienaThe following is an edited group of posts and comments to Jim (whthrse)transferred over from mv.org. Each post here equals a page from .orgPosted by Arzola on 10/29/06Let me just say again... Hello and welcome..... I hope you will visit this site again and post more!!! Your a huge part of Miami Vice and according to one Website the man who made Miami Vice and I have to agree!!!http://www.thegunzone.com/software/zubiena.htmlPosted by Tifany on 10/29/06Welcome [:)] Posted by MATT5 on 10/29/06welcome to a great site about a great showPosted by panda_vice on 10/31/06Hi and welcome!Posted by doncrockett on 10/31/06welcome pal Posted by Arzola on 11/01/06I am a little surprised ppl weren't more excited by his showing up. I hope he shows up again!!!! Posted by Papa Legba 0n 11/05/06As a salute to Jim Zubiena, here he is in action, from "Calderone`s Return part 1" Check out the speed of the gun move 1m 56s into the clip! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMfjy_aEOIkPosted by GinaFan on 11/05/06Hi and Welcome to the MV site!Posted by Jim Zubiena on 11/07/06Hello all, Thank you very much for the "hello's" I went to one of the above links and found some....uh... let's see.... interesting "ideas" put forth. I sent an e-amil to the writer and thought I would share it with you folks...... Hello Dean, Hope this finds you well.......... I was sent a link ( Miami Vice.org ) from a friend who, for want off anything better to do, did a search on my name. I went to the site and made a post clarifying a small but important point to me. When I returned a few weeks later I noticed a link to a site with some other ....... 'miss' info about that 'Mozambique' section. I thought I might contact you and give you the info scoop. 1. The 'Mozambique' was performed because of the " let's be certain he's dead" idea..... plus it was relatively unknown by the general audience at the time. 2. This episode transpired way before the DNA, forensic brilliance, etc. so the prints and DNA in the gloves where not relative at the time. 3. The unloading and dumping of the gun was to separate the character from the action. As soon as he walked away he could be just another employee. Unloading the gun first was to insure that no one picked it up and tried to use it on him as he walked away. Nothing was by accident. It all was thought out. If you watched an episode I did on Nash Bridges 15 years later I did exactly the same thing in the San Francisco airport. There is no truth to the robbery-jail time rumor. I have been told by a reliable source that the fellow who drove the get-a-way car did in fact end up in jail where-in he was killed. Not a pleasant story. Side bar...... Another reason this clip went into training programs around the country was because of a coincidental airing...... One Friday night in May we, the participants in the Bianchi Cup, where congregating in the bar of the Hilton hotel in Columbia, Mo. watching our favorite new show..... Miami Vice and .... you guessed it... "my" episode. What I remember through all the weird feelings I had during the airing was at the moment I put my hands into the 'surrender' position...... the entire room said "stand by.... ready..... It was a unique moment for me to say the absolute least. Thanks for your time Jim Zubiena Ya'll be safe and have a good turkey day JimPosted by DanJ 11/11/06Not all of us make it a habit to lurk here in the "Welcome" section. Admittedly, I peek in only from time to time - shame on me, I guess, but that's the way it goes.whthrse, welcome aboard. It is an honor to have you here and I hope you will visit us regularly.Is there any special meaning or significance behind your chosen handle?Which season/episode of Nash Bridges did you appear in? I have all of them recorded but missed your appearance and would like to check it out.Also, I believe I read that you appeared in more than one Miami Vice episode. I've looked for other appearances but found none. Perhaps you did some uncredited work? If so, which if any other MV episodes did you appear in?Posted by Jim Zubiena on 11/11/06Hello Dan, The Whitehorse Band is the name of the C/W group I have when playing gigs around So. Ca. That,the name, was a tribute to an incredable horse I had ...... who was white. I don't know what season the Nash Bridges appearance was but the episode was called "the Tourist" Hope that helps. The only Vice episodes for me where 3 and 4 of the first season. Episode #4 was actually only a 'flashback' from #3 Thanks for the 'welcome' Jim Posted by DanJ on 11/12/06Hee-hee! Who would've thought an Argentine hit man would play in a country band? Do y'all have any recordings? If so I'll trade you one of my demo CD's for one of yours!I have the NB episode The Tourist and will have a look at it tonight.Too bad you only appeared in Hit List on MV. Would have been great to see you in a few more ep's. Say, might you still have those yellow Aviator sunglasses?You mentioned that you've been an actor since the age of 12. Have you done any other television or movie work where we would have seen you? I've searched IMBD and elsewhere on the 'net for info but have come up empty-handed. Can you fill us in?Posted by Danman on 11/12/06Hey Jim,Great having you on the site. Professional input is always welcome around here.I got a short question if you don't mind: when you worked on Manhunter, did you put the actors through any kind of special training in pre-production or did you just work as an advisor on location while Mann was shooting the movie?Thanks for the info!DanPosted by earthtoneless on 11/12/06So Jim , now a REAL important question ... how did you keep that Series 70 from having a FTF ???? Posted by Jim Zubiena on 11/14/06Hello, I trained William Peterson for his role with the technique I share and also for specific moments in the film. He was very easy to work with and made all look good throughout filming. I was on set for my scenes and most scenes that had firearms in them. During the filming I was splitting my time between Band of the Hand in Miami and Manhunter in No. Carolina. Took 3 1/2 months to complete both for my part. Take care Jim Posted by Jim Zubiena on 11/14/06

So Jim ' date=' now a REAL important question ... how did you keep that Series 70 from having a FTF ????[/quote'] Easy........ It was a 1911, stock configuration,(uh.... that means loose) LOL.... with a 9mm barrel installed with restricter in place (plug in barrel with about 3/16" hole) and very powerful 9mm blanks. Blanks are crimped to a point to assist feeding and contain propellant without a projectile. Worked every time. ThanksJimPosted by earthtoneless on 11/14/06Ha ha .... sounds like you guys invented the .357 Sig cartridge !!!!! Thanks Jim and great watching you work ...

• Administrators

Questions & Answers with Jim Zubiena cont.Posted by Arzola on 11/14/06Its good to see you coming back Jim.... I am glad that you straigthened out the Website on their accuracy. I hope you didn't mind me posting the link. Posted by bcibiblack on 11/15/06G'day, Jim. Welcome to the forum! I really enjoyed your little cameo in Manhunter. William Petersen seemed really immersed in his role as Graham - was he intense to work with? And in the Viceep, "Calderone's Return, Part I" did you ever notice how much that cop you shot in the Limousine sequence looked like George Michael? It's uncanny! Posted by Hutch4545 on 11/15/06Hey Jim, welcome to the site. Thanks for helping to make Miami Vice a great show. In addition to the enormous entertainment value your skill and expertise brought to the screen, I should probably also thank you for helping keep me and some of my buddies safer.I was a young police detective back when your episode first aired. And the next day at the office, a lot of the guys were discussing the "Mozambique" scene.We all marveled at your lightning fast speed, technique and control. And naturally the conversation included the realization of just how fast things could turn for us in a law enforcement situation.My VHS copy of that episode was watched countless times by me and my buddies -- for business and for pleasure. It helped raise our awareness and was a big contribution to the state of mind that has helped me to remain safe even to this day. And for that, I'd like to say thank you.I've always considered you one of the good guys. I hope you feel welcome and come here often.Your friend,HutchPosted by Jim Zubiena on 11/15/06Geeeeeez Hutch, That's the best representation of it's value I have ever heard.... Thank YOU !! Jim Posted by Tifany on 11/15/06eh? how about me? my welcome doesn't mean anything whthrse? just kidding We are happy that you are here & like to see more posts from you. Posted by Slick Nick on 11/15/06Jim, A major thank you for being here. BTW...how often does your band play in So Cal? (I was just down there this weekend.) Posted by Jim Zubiena on 11/15/06Hello Slick Nick &&&&&&&&& TIFANY !!! Nick, I am in the midst of remodeling the ranch house so have not been playing around town much the last year. Soon though. Tifany, Please see the first line in my second post..... right after Hi Ya'll. I'm grateful for all the warm welcomes I've received. Jim Posted by Tifany on 11/15/06I know whthrse, I read it & thanks for your time that you give to us. I was kidding with you. I hope to see you more here.Posted by prickleferret on 11/23/06GOD!! i can't believe i am so late getting here. THE ARGENTINIAN IS HERE!!!! i know you have heard it before but your draw in that episode of MV made my jaw drop and also made me hit the rewind like 100 times. i too would have loved to see you in more eps. it definitely would have spiced things up. glad to have you here. on another note, i was always curious about something. the final scene of this ep where you are in Caroline's house with that assault rifle, did you have any issues with the way they portrayed you as a shooter in that scene? i would think that you would have preferred a pistol for that scene. i guess it probably wasn't up to you what firearm you had. just curious. welcome to the site and have a great Thanksgiving. Posted by Tony D. on 11/23/06I just got around to seeing this Topic. What an honor to have you share your information with us. Your input gives a real boost to our enjoyment of Miami Vice! Now, I also must watch my tape of "The Tourist" on Nash Bridges. Thanks for rekindling my interest in these episodes, & a Happy Thanksgiving to you, JIM! Tony Posted by Jim Zubiena on 11/27/06Prikleferret asked: Did you have any issues with the way they portrayed you as a shooter in that scene? No....... The firearm was a mini-14 with a folding stock in .223 Lots of fun to shoot and makes a great flash for camera. A tidbit you all might enjoy...... During the above scene I had a misfortune that could have been reeeeeal bad but as it turned out is just an incident to learn from. The restrictor for the blanks was installed in the flash suppressor instead of in the barrel. The Director wanted to shoot a continous motion master of the entire scene from first shot to last (going through the window). That entailed firing approx. 60-80 rounds of automatic machine gunning with 2 reloads of 30 rnd mags after the initial mag. was in place. The camera was set up in front of the window with a large Lexan sheet between myself and the camera operaters. During the portion of the scene where I am in the air jumping over Ms. Montgomery in the doorway I was hit with something in my left shoulder near the collarbone which spun me around to the left and knocked me on my..... you know. A bit dazed 'we' asked what that was all about and realized quickly that the suppressor had expanded due to the amount of heat created by the many rounds. It slipped off of the threads and went flying at the Lexan. It proceeded to come back at me with enough force to spin and put me down. At the time I didn't freak about it but later realized it could have been bad if it had hit me just about anywhere in the head. Lesson learned ????? ALL barrel plugs are in the BARREL for the rest of time wherever I am. That's why there called "barrel plugs" UH.... Yeah !! Hope 'too much info' doesn't ruin the illusion for you. Take Care Jim Posted by prickleferret on 11/27/06thanks for the info Jim. it does sound like you "dodged a bullet" when that suppressor expanded. like you said though, lesson learned. i am curious about something else regarding this same scene. did you choose the mini-14 or did someone else decide it would be a cool gun to use for the scene? also, if you didn't pick the mini-14, what would you have chosen for this scene? it would seem to me that with your shooting skill, a pistol would have been more suitable for this scene. Posted by Jim Zubiena on 11/28/06did you choose the mini-14 or did someone else decide it would be a cool gun to use for the scene? The gun was someone else's choice........ I liked it. If I had to choose..... SHOTGUUUUUUNNNNN... shoot 'em 'fore they run now !!!! Margin for error always over accuracy !!!! Now if it had to be quite there would be a different choice, of course. Jim Missing video from HutchPosted by Jim Zubiena on 11/29/06Well Hutch4545..... you touched on a story I was saving for the right time...... seems to be now. The above clip could have ended 'Vice' quickly. The squibs that simulate the bullets hitting the wall where electrically triggered too early...... supposed to wait until Don backed out. As you see, they went off in his face. Don was wearing a very expensive watch, as always, and ..... the squib blew the glass face right off the watch. Glad he reacted quickly to the mishap. Uh Oh....... only got a couple of more tidbits and I'll be useless. LOL Jim Posted by Hutch4545 on 11/29/06

...Uh Oh... only got a couple of more tidbits and I'll be useless.LOLJim
Nah' date=' no way, Jim -- don't ever feel like that.Besides "all things Miami Vice", there are a million other things you can feel free to bring up and/or discuss -- just look around the forums.Anything from guns to guitar, to movies, to cars. Hell, we even have a "sexiest women" topic -- LOL!Thanks for the info.[i']Posted by Tony D. on 11/29/06 I, and many others here, enjoy discussing our favorite show, and welcome whatever comments you share with us, Jim. Thanks. Posted by sunset on 11/30/06thanks for this info, this scene really held my attention, and "blew me away" besides all the great points already mentioned, i thought the music was perfect ! and Ill never forget the getaway drive. awesome ! Posted by prickleferret on 12/03/06
Well Hutch4545..... you touched on a story I was saving for the right time...... seems to be now. The above clip could have ended 'Vice' quickly. The squibs that simulate the bullets hitting the wall where electrically triggered too early...... supposed to wait until Don backed out. As you see' date=' they went off in his face. Don was wearing a very expensive watch, as always, and ..... the squib blew the glass face right off the watch. Glad he reacted quickly to the mishap. Uh Oh....... only got a couple of more tidbits and I'll be useless. LOL Jim[/quote'] there is no way you could ever be useless. whether it is info about guns or anything you do, we are open to learning anything new here.

• Administrators

Questions & Answers with Jim Zubiena cont.Missing Video by Hutch4545Posted by Jim Zubiena on 12/03/06Hey folks, Ya'll way too nice. Thanks A surprising thing about the above scene..... When the "cannons", set inside the limo to blow the back window out, went off the accompanying concussion actually shattered a few of the very large windows of the building the "victims" came out of. YEAH... It was loud. Later Jim Posted by prickleferret on 12/04/06and here i thought that badass shotgun actually peeled the top off of that limo. i know nothing about guns like that and i also should have figured that there was some kind of charges or "cannons" set to blow that limo up with. either way, i loved it!! Posted by little miss d. on 12/22/06 I just stumbled upon this topic. WOW!!! Really nice to have you here and thanks for all the info. Posted by miamijimf on 12/28/06Mr. Zubiena, Great to have you on the forum! I've enjoyed watching the fast draw episode many times. Question: My friend and I were debating whether you used a safety on the 1911 style pistol, besides the grip safety below the hammer. His guess is that the hammer was cocked and you disengaged the "thumb safety" that keeps the hammer from firing as you pulled the gun. I don't think the hammer was cocked and it was all triger action. Who is right? Thanks in advance, Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/02/07Hello again, To answer your question, what I remember for sure is that the 1911 was stock in it's external configuration ( no extended speed safety for the thumb ) and that it was 'cocked and locked ' while in the waistband...... I 'think' I left the thumb safety disengaged because it would be difficult to be super fast with the gloves on and that little-itty-bitty factory safety. Grip safety, BLANKS and my experience protected me from any..... uh .... unpleasant accidents. LOL. PS: I have had the unpleasant experience of standing next to someone at a warm-up range during the Steel Challenge ( World Speed Shooting Championship ) many years ago when an individual, who will remain unnamed, was trying to be faster than a very good female next to him. He left the thumb safety disengaged while in the holster with LIVE ammo...... Yes, he shot himself through his right testicle and then into his left leg. A definate no-no. NEVER draw from a holster with live ammo with any safety device de-activated !!!! Enjoy and shoot safe if you frequent ranges. Jim Posted by MV Fan on 1/02/07WOW! ---as Crockett said....."when you care enough to send the very best".... Welcome, Jim! Posted by miamijimf on 1/02/07Mr. Zubiena, Thanks very much for the prompt and interesting response. Yes I tried to make safety first, last, and always during my Army and teaching careers. As a retiree I enjoy shooting now as a part-time hobby. I use a civilian range where you can also fire fully automatic weapons. The only problem is the cheapest full auto I can find is a MAC-10 for $4,000. Sounds outrageous for a very unsophisticated firearm but at least good citizens have the freedom to make such a purchase. P.S. I'm not buying from Guzman, Sonny shot him. Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/03/07Question for Miamijimf..... I'm curious about your above PS:...... M. Mann had a 'right hand man' named Guzman.... is it relavant. Could you explain ? Thanks Jim Posted by miamijimf on 1/03/07Jim, Sorry that was a weak attempt at a Miami Vice type joke. In the episode 'Evan', Guzman is a South American gun runner who tries to sell Sonny and Rico 50 MAC-10s. I just found out my Rifle Team qualified for JROTC National Competition at Ft. Benning. Really proud of those kids. Thanks again, my friends and cadets are really impressed that I exchanged messages with you. Are you still involved with shooting? Jim Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/04/07

Are you still involved with shooting? You bet...... I put on clincs for Skeet shooting and handguns with the club I belong to here in So. Ca. and have had many great days participating with the local SASS clubs. Single Actiion Shooting Society. I have found it to be a lot more fun making the firearms of the late 1800's go fast instead of the 'bells and whistles' firearms I have used in the past. Congrats on the kids. !!!Jim Posted by ACamPuller on 1/04/07
Question for Miamijimf..... PS:...... M. Mann had a 'right hand man' named Guzman....Thanks Jim
You're talking about Gusmano Cesaretti who was a photog and designer. Gusmano was also involved in the movie as an Co- Producer.He has stayed with MM ever since the series.http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0149052/RBPosted by Cooper&Burnett on 1/05/07Jim' date=' We can't believe that you are here with us. I think that you are the only actor from MIAMI VICE that has joined us' date=' and your a major MIAMI VICE fan's favorite! FERRARIMAN, this topic should be moved to a different spot, so more people will see it. I myself just found it! Jim, my question to you is, Did you actually eat any of the donuts? I think I remember you eating one, or eating something when Crockett and Tubbs walk by you after Crockett pulls the gun on a guy returning his dropped pack of smokes. There are some closeups of donuts with a bite out of it in the tower scene. Did you take a chomp out of them, or was it a set piece? By the way, for the record, what type of donuts DOES the Argentinian hit man prefer? [i'']Posted by Cooper&Burnett on 1/05/07 Jim, in the future, I plan to post your unreleased "HITMAN" theme by JAN HAMMER on WWW.JAN-HAMMER.NET for you, and all to enjoy, after all, it was written for you. JAN HAMMER did such a good job with that hitman music. It was unmistakeable. Please visit this site (JAN HAMMER and his agent has given his blessings to post his unreleased music on this site) and listen to the streamable unreleased JAN HAMMER music on the home page. Posted by SCRT on 1/05/07 Holy smoke, like C&B i just discovered this topic today. Mr.Zubiena, welcome to this site. I hope we can enjoy much of your future postings here. Like many others here i watched MV during it's original transmitting in the 80's. A lot of scenes have faded away in my memory(and thanks to the release of the series on dvd are coming back)but, amongst others, the scenes i never forgot were the scenes in which "The Argentian" was in full action. Just got the one question:what was your opinion about the series? Posted by Earl 31 on 1/08/07
Hello' date=' I trained William Peterson for his role with the technique I share and also for specific moments in the film. He was very easy to work with and made all look good throughout filming. I was on set for my scenes and most scenes that had firearms in them. During the filming I was splitting my time between Band of the Hand in Miami and Manhunter in No. Carolina. Took 3 1/2 months to complete both for my part. Take care Jim[/quote'] I Understand that You Was A Firearms Technical Advisor on The 1984 Film Called "Thief of Hearts" That Starred Steven Bauer (who Played Tony Montanas' Henchman in "Scarface")!!,What was It Like for you to Work With Steven Bauer?,He Also Did The 3 Part NBC Mini-Series for Michael Mann about DEA Agent Kiki Camarena Called "Drug Wars: The Camarena Story" in 1990!!Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/08/07HEllo C & B, I feel a bit silly talking about donuts.... they 'where' my ultimate downfall....but if you really want to know ,yes, I did eat a donut while sitting on the bench during that scene you mentioned.... All the others where set by the prop folks. My favorite is 'raised glazed' ohhhhhhhh, my mouth watered just thinking about them. Jim Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/08/07Hello Earl 31, I had nothing to do with Thief of Hearts..... I did work with Steven Bauer on the Mini-series Drug Wars: Camerana but not with firearms. I was DEA agent Craig in the 2-part mini-series. Jim Posted by Earl 31 on 1/09/07
Hello Earl 31' date=' I had nothing to do with Thief of Hearts..... I did work with Steven Bauer on the Mini-series Drug Wars: Camerana but not with firearms. I was DEA agent Craig in the 2-part mini-series. Jim[/quote'] [DIV]I LOVE The Scene that You're In When you was In The Night Club,The Scene When Rico and Other Uniformed Cops Rounded Up Carlos Mendez after Linus Oliver Picked him Out of The Crowd and You're Character was Standing There Above on a Balcony like Setting Next to A Woman and Then You Turned Around and Walked Away Looking like "Yeah,They Didn't Get My A-- Yet",LOL!!. But NOW!!,When I Come to Remember,I Did Remember you as The Fellow DEA Agent in "Drug Wars" Who was With Graig T. Nelsons Harvey Steinmetz Character going Around W. Him in Guadalajara looking for "Kiki" Camarena when The Word got Out That he was Missing!!,YES!!.So you Was Just in Part 2 of The 3 Parter?!

• Administrators

Questions & Answers with Jim Zubiena cont.Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/10/07Hello SCRT & Earl31, SCRT..... Forgot to answer your question..... I probably enjoyed the show a little MORE than most folks as I felt a close tie to the people. I had worked with Don J. and PMT for a week here in So ca. at my range, training with live ammo on various shooting senarios in a very structured and safe environment. Being a musician I also appreciated the music a great deal. So let's see..... I'm a car buff... love to shoot for recreation... musician... Yeah. Vice was my cup of tea during that time period. It also was the first TV show to use what I would consider proper firearm technique. Granted I had something to do with that but not if M.Mann hadn't insisted on the show having that 'state of the art look'. EARL31: You made me get out some buried VHS tapes..... You are correct. It was a three parter. My character came in near the end of part one and stayed for the duration. TIDBIT..... I was cut from my fist scene in the squad room when "Harley" walked in because my limp was too pronounced for a cross. I was on crutches during the audition for the Director and wasn't walking to well by the time 'shooting' started. Blew out my rt. knee in an assault course match with the SWPL a couple of months before. THAT'S when I retired from active competition. Jan. '89. Jim Posted by Papa Legba on 1/10/07Originally posted by whthrseThe unloading and dumping of the gun was to separate the character from the action. As soon as he walked away he could be just another employee. Unloading the gun first was to insure that no one picked it up and tried to use it on him as he walked away. Nothing was by accident. It all was thought out. Hi Jim! I understand the significance of the hitman`s actions in this scene now. I admit that for a long time, I wondered why you walked away so casually from the scene of the hit. I realise now that the hitman was trying to blend in as a passer by, so as to not attract attention. Thanks for all the great information you have provided us so far, and thanks for making "Calderone`s Return" such a classic episode!Posted by Mr Burnett on 1/10/07Wow, looking back, Jim, your performance was indeed spectacular in Calderone's Return. To a point, it was almost haunting, the true epitome of a stone-cold, heartless killer... You played the Argentinian so well, watching the episode, I thought there had to something more than just another MV actor there. Looking back again, I've never wholly realized how the correct usage and portrayal of the weaponry on MV really added to the show's feel. Your work is a credit to MV, and, in my opinion, one of the BIG reasons it became such a success... Anybody consider the song that plays when Jim's on screen being renamed "Zubiena's Theme"? LOL, I think it's called The Argentinian right now (I'm looking for it, if anybody has it *mdawg8@lycos.com*, so I don't know for sure). We have a Crockett's Theme, Rico's theme, Trudy's theme, and Gina, why not a Zubiena?Posted by Miami Vice Pal! on 1/11/07Welcome! Your behind the scenes stories are a great addition to this site. If you have any pictures please feel free to share. Any pictures of you during trainings or firing on a range. Thanks... Posted by prickleferret on 1/11/07WOW!! it never ceases to amaze me how much you can learn here every day. Posted by Earl 31 on 1/11/07 Yeah Jim!!, "Drug Wars:Camarena" is 1 of My Favorite TV Drama Mini-Series of all Time,I VHS Taped it in January of 1990 When It 1st Premiered on NBC in 3 Parts.There's a whole Lotta MV People That Are In it Like Guy Boyd (Frank Hackman in The Seasons 3 & 4 Episodes of "Forgive us our Debts" & "Deliver us From Evil"), Benecio Del Toro who Played The Drug Lord Raphael "Caro" Quintero (He was a GS in Season 3s' Everybodys in Show Biz Episode as Mickeys' Younger Brother) and Tomas Milian (Season 2 "Brought and Paid For") Who Played The Semi-Retired Gen. who was Helping The DEA Search for Camarena!!. When you was On The Set During The Filming Jim,Did You Ever Get to Meet any of Enrique Camarenas' Family Members Like His Widow or His 2 Sons?!. Posted by Rickey Betts on 1/11/07Actually got busy working and just discovered this thread. Back in the day that famed performance from Vice was one of the best topic/discussions we had at LFI. Mas Ayoob remarked about the tremendous speed displayed in your technique, Jim. Did you mention whether that Mini-14 was one of those that Bob Hoelscher reportedly used to carry around in his trunk or did I miss that tidbit?Didn't know you were a fellow musician as well. Figures.Try some Dandee Donut Factory donuts if you happen make it back to South Florida. With locations in Deerfield Beach, Pompano Beach and Hollywood they leave Dunkin's in the dust!Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/11/07Earl31 asks... When you was On The Set During The Filming ( of Drug Wars ) Jim,Did You Ever Get to Meet any of Enrique Camarenas' Family Members Like His Widow or His 2 Sons?!. No I didn't Earl. I wasn't aware of them ever being on the set. That doesn't mean they weren't, though. Jim Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/11/07Ricky Betts..... You just mentioned one of my favorite people from that experience. Bob Hoelscher was/is one of the best. We spent a good deal of time together at the range as the full auto guns where in his custody when we went to the live fire range so that I could get comfortable with the full auto experience. That was fun. Cans of 223 and 9mm ammo. This was for 'Band of the Hand' a few years later and not MV. I had to train a handful of younger people to handle them correctly so...... gosh... I had to shoot up a lot of ammo to make sure I taught them right !!!! LOL If you know and see Bob, please, send him my best. Jim Posted by Cooper&Burnett on 1/11/07Jim, don't know if you know this site too well, but are you aware that RICK BRAVO, part of the "father and son" team who filmed you, the episode you were in, and the first two seasons, writes on this site? Pretty neat! Also, I know it was a while ago, but do you remember if it took quite a few takes to pull the pistol out, find the trigger, and shoot the pistol so quickly. I'd think it would be hard to do it in one take. Any recent photos of you or photos of you from the show you could share with us? Were pretty big fans of your work on the show! Posted by prickleferret on 1/12/07

Ricky Betts..... You just mentioned one of my favorite people from that experience. Bob Hoelscher was/is one of the best. We spent a good deal of time together at the range as the full auto guns where in his custody when we went to the live fire range so that I could get comfortable with the full auto experience. That was fun. Cans of 223 and 9mm ammo. This was for 'Band of the Hand' a few years later and not MV. I had to train a handful of younger people to handle them correctly so...... gosh... I had to shoot up a lot of ammo to make sure I taught them right !!!! LOL If you know and see Bob' date=' please, send him my best. Jim[/quote'] so you were involved in the training for Band Of The Hand? hell, you should have been in that movie. i haven't seen it in so long but i always liked it back in the day. you have inspired me to go rent it. Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/12/07
[DIV]so you were involved in the training for Band Of The Hand? hell' date=' you should have been in that movie. i haven't seen it in so long but i always liked it back in the day. you have inspired me to go rent it. [img']height=17 alt=Wink src="http://www.miami-vice.org/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>[/DIV]
Good Morning...... You have to watch the whooooooole movie to see me. I'm the officer that stops them on their way 'out of town' at the end.... LOL. Coldest damn night I ever felt in Florida..... or should I say morning.... wee hours that is.Jim Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/12/07C & B' date=' Hutch4545 sent me a PM and outlined a way for me to reach. Bob H. Thanks Jim Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/12/07
do you remember if it took quite a few takes to pull the pistol out' date=' find the trigger, and shoot the pistol so quickly. I'd think it would be hard to do it in one take. Any recent photos of you or photos of you from the show you could share with us? [/quote'] Hello, I remember it taking about 7 takes to get it done. It was with the 2nd unit and John Niccolella as Dir. The only problem we encountered was the web of the glove getting caught on the spur of the hammer for about half of the takes. Created a real nice 'trigger jerk' for those takes. Other than that it went pretty smoothly. As far as pics go..... I tried but don't have a web-site where they are posted for access. Only in my computer. Thanks for the interest though.Jim Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/12/07 Well... This MIGHT work. If it doesn't I'll delete so you didn't miss much.... It worked !!Jim Eingefügtes BildPosted by Rickey Betts on 1/12/07Another Strat player I should've known. Rosewood fretboard, yeah!Regarding Mr. Hoelscher, I just know of him through Mas Ayoob going on about him in our conversations about Vice and what was then called Metro-Dade PD and some of the skilled and dedicated handgunners in it's ranks like Lew T who gave me some initial advice when I made a foray into IPSC shooting years back. Mas said that Hoelscher had trained with Mas at LFI and at various other top flight shooting schools. I think Mas even mentioned this in Combat Handguns years back.The crazy man/writer Michael Bane who I used to keep in touch with and trained with at LFI also used to have a spy he claimed on the Vice set. Bane hilariously never quite seemed to get the leaked information right, however which Mas actually did. Posted by SCRT on 1/12/07A very cool pic Jim. Thanks a lot for posting it. Posted by Cooper&Burnett on 1/12/07Thank you for posting the picture! Great shot! Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/12/07
Another Strat player I should've known. Rosewood fretboard' date=' yeah![/quote'] Rickey, Actually, I also have a Tele..... both have maple necks. They where both covered in natural tone leather and hand-tooled by my old lead guitar player John Cornelius. He had the Tele and I drooled on it enough that he took my Strat and covered it..... a year or two later he offered me the Tele and I snapped it up. John is also head programmer at a major movie script software supplier. That means both sides of his brain works better than either side of mine. Great guitar player,too. He turn-coated me and went to Rock & Roll. He's still a good bud. There are some other pics at this site http://www.homestead.com/Whthrse/Whthrse.htmlPS: Your right, the neck does look dark in the pick, though. JimPosted by Cooper&Burnett on 1/12/07 There are some other pics at this site www.homestead.com/Whthrse/Whthrse.html Jim, I highlighted it so all we have to do is click onto it, and it takes us there without hand typing in the web address. Great site, and GREAT pictures!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Questions & Answers with Jim Zubiena cont.Posted by Cooper&Burnett on 1/12/07[quote Jim, didn't the first unit film you in this scene? Rick Bravo said first unit always films the top stars and thier scenes. Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas were in this scene with you.Eingefügtes Bildhttp://www.miami-vice.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5762http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu-S0v1jkAYPosted by Jim Zubiena on 1/13/07C & B, The above scene was indeed shot by the first unit..... the 2nd unit shot the Mozambique scene with the limo. Jim Posted by Cooper&Burnett on 1/14/07Great! Then you and Rick DID work togeher! I swear I watch your scenes over and over again, as it really was the best MIAMI VICE had to offer. Your character was so skilled, and dangerous. I've freeze framed so many of your scenes, and used the step forward to advance the frames. I wish you could have had a way to hear from all of us in the 80's, so we could have let you know then how much we loved your work when the show was still new. We appreciate you. Hell, we're FANS of you, and your character!Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/14/07Hey C & B Thank you. I'm just glad you folks got a big kick out of it..... I did, too. I lived in Coconut Grove, Florida in 1973 & '74. Went down there from Chicago to the Coconut Grove Theatre with a tour of Godspell.... met a great lady and stayed for awhile. Coming back for 'Vice" was like coming home. Enjoy Jim Posted by ACamPuller on 1/15/07

Jeez, C&B...all this time you were a Doubting Tomas and flying under the radar!!! You needed verification from Jim?And the limo scene, although considered a "Second Unit" shot was shot by the first unit crew(my dad and me) as it was shot as part of a full first unit day so, yes, Jim and I did work together.And yes, this is really me typing...you can ask my wife and kids!RBPosted by SWAT7 on 1/16/07Welcome to M-V.Org, Mr. Z. Others have mentioned - I will reiterate - your name came up some time back. I A**ume you did a search on it. I had forgotten about the Limo scene, until the MV season 1 DVD came about. When I saw it for the 1st time in so many years, I was stunned - just like the first time I saw it. (I'm a lifelong shooter & firearms instructor, though I can, in no way, claim any semblance of you and your peers on the IPSC/PPC circuits...as is the case with most cops). It was glaringly obvious to us here who train with firearms....that "the Argentenian" was no B-team actor with a little training from an old pistol-range cop. Your mechanics, familiarity & expertise blew away any make-believe BS. We talked about it here & were quite awed. Good job shooting by R2 & his Dad, as well. I have a Fender Squier Strat & an Ovation CV-68 Viper.....I'd like to have a well seasoned used Gibson Les Paul one day.... Glad you are here, KDPosted by SWAT7 on 1/16/07...for those of you who don't know know...Jim Zubiena was a fierce competitor....world clA** competitor.... http://www.nrahq.org/compete/nm_actionshooting.asphttp://www.steelchallenge.com/http://www.ipsc.org/Posted by SWAT7 on 1/16/07http://www.miami-vice.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3555&KW=zubiena&PN=1Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/17/07
I'd like to have a well seasoned used Gibson Les Paul one day.... Thanks for the welcome..... for the above... ooooh !! start saving your money. I used to play in a band( drums ) with Rick Nielson from Cheap Trick. He's got a bunch of them. When we played together he would rotate between a 'gold' version and then to a Black w/silver with triple humbucking pick-ups. Didn't realize back then what they would become. He probably did though.JimPosted by SWAT7 on 1/17/07I enjoyed seeing Cheap Trick a couple times way back in "the day" (1976-78?). Had a front row seat one time when' date=' I think, they warmed up for Ted Nugent in Dallas. Rick was pretty much sticking to, from what I recall, a Gibson Explorer (?) sporting a black & white "checkered flag" finish. That is all fuzzy memory....for some reason.... Cheap Trick is playing here in Dallas very soon. Of the custom factory Gibson Les Pauls....the one in which I'm most interested with 3 humbuckers is the Peter Frampton Custom Signature....although Tony Iommi's custom SG can clear some space like an open-choke Benelli M1Super 90 auto shotgun with #4 buckshot....[i']Posted by SWAT7 on 1/17/07...I meant to ask. Of the notables & celebrities with whom you worked...not necessarily MVice....were any of them firearms afficianados....either hobbyist or serious shooters? Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/18/07SWAT7, I used to participate in the Charleton Heston Celebrity Shoot each year and met most of the "shooting" celebs. Tom Selleck was into shotgun pretty heavy.... Joe Montegna is a friend of mine and we have spent many days on the range. Both pistol and shotgun. His friend, David Mamet, is a huge shooting enthusiast. M.Mann used to shoot with me at the range on occasion when he wasn't swamped.... VERY serious about his shooting. Hard to get him to just have fun.... but that's Michael. Actually, Don Johnson was very good during our sessions before filming the series and could have been respectable in any IPSC match one might put on. Learned real fast and payed close attention to detail. He enjoyed it a bunch and that was probably why he did so well. Now PMT on the other hand..... No comment. Jim Posted by prickleferret on 1/18/07HAHA!! PMT didn't strike me as a very accurate marksman. LOL. even in the series Don's character had a knack for being very accurate. look at all those shooting range scenes in MV where Don aced the course. or should i say Sonny? either way, it isn't hard to believe Don was a good shooter. but PMT, hell, when 2/3 of your weapons were shotguns,(Ithaca 37 and sawed off), who needs to be too accurate? LOL. Posted by Miami Vice Pal! on 1/18/07 Jim these are great stories. Thanks for sharing. Who would've thought DJ a.k.a. Sonny was such a marksman in real life... Posted by SWAT7 on 1/18/07 [P].....another question from a cop firearms instructor perspective....who has been inducted in both genres.....Jim demonstrated an aggresive Isocolese stance.....DJ used in significant form, a modified Weaver. I've been taught both. We now teach an aggressive Isosolese via the "Midsouth method". I prefer the Midsouth, though it's not much good with revolvers...[/P][P]http://www.weaponstraining.com/[/P]Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/18/07SWAT7, Everyone I have worked with got what I personally believe works best. I would modify the position if a physical problem presented itself but I use a modified weaver for the upper body and a variation of my sport shotgun shooting stance for below the belt. The upper body is locked and it pivots left or right by bending the opposing knee and rotating the upper body whatever direction is needed. ..... like a tank turret. That keeps the legs fluid and able to react to 'surprise' stimuli. It also takes all the strain off of the back allowing a quick turn for engagement. That will be $100 please.... LOL. That works for me.... others have different ideas. I have never been a fan of the isocolese position. It is to 'static' and immobile for me. If you watch Leatham in a stand up and shoot' match he is in a true isocolese so it certainly works for some. One of the key words you used is 'aggresive'. All shooters need to be aggresive when running a course or trying to save a life. One can be aggresive without be tight or tense. The aggresion heightens focus. The MOST important thing to be successful with a gun in your hand, whatever the task. As stated earlier..... the loss of 'focus' is what cost that poooooor bodyguard his life. Shoot safe Jim Posted by Cooper&Burnett on 1/18/07
Jeez' date=' C&B...all this time you were a Doubting Tomas and flying under the radar!!! You needed verification from Jim?And the limo scene, although considered a "Second Unit" shot was shot by the first unit crew(my dad and me) as it was shot as part of a full first unit day so, yes, Jim and I did work together.And yes, this is really me typing...you can ask my wife and kids!RB[/quote'] I just find it cool that two people who worked on the show are here (you and jim). It's kind of thrilling really. And the fact that you two worked together makes it all the MORE exciting from a fans perspective. Never did I ever think I would be lucky enough to be able to have the opportunity to ask one of the first unit camera operators questions, or even one of the guest actors. We are very lucky on this site indeed. Posted by SWAT7 on 1/19/07I have to agree. Having Rick & Jim here is great. I know that some of the bit-part actors have showed up here too - wish they would have stayed & posted more. In the meantime - Thanks to Jim & Rick. You guys bring the show a lot closer to us, and it is appreciated. While I'm on it, I'd like to express appreciation to FerrariMan, all the old hands, and all the not so old hands who make this site special. If I may - a note to the dearly departed: Srobie, Stingray & Noog - get yer @$$es back here where you belong - I see you peeking - no more lurking about - life's too short.Regards, KDheight=218 src="http://morethings.com/fan/andy_griffith/andy-griffith-don_knotts.jpg" width=300>Posted by prickleferret on 1/19/07
I have to agree. Having Rick & Jim here is great. I know that some of the bit-part actors have showed up here too - wish they would have stayed & posted more. In the meantime - Thanks to Jim & Rick. You guys bring the show a lot closer to us' date=' and it is appreciated. While I'm on it, I'd like to express appreciation to FerrariMan, all the old hands, and all the not so old hands who make this site special. If I may - a note to the dearly departed: Srobie, Stingray & Noog - get yer @$$es back here where you belong - I see you peeking - no more lurking about - life's too short. Regards, KD[img']height=218 src="http://morethings.com/fan/andy_griffith/andy-griffith-don_knotts.jpg" width=300>
well said SWAT7!! height=17 alt=Clap src="http://www.miami-vice.org/forum/smileys/smiley32.gif" width=18 align=absMiddle>Posted by tifany on 1/19/07SWAT7 srobie came back here with us thanks God, but to get Stingray back again take time We need you & your gun to force Stingray back here in his sweet home again. Recently LMD doesn't come too much here too, well shooter needed & wanted to return back some of our good members here.

• Administrators

Questions & Answers with Jim Zubiena cont.Posted by SWAT7 on 1/19/07You are a Sweetheart, Tiffany... Posted by Cooper&Burnett on 1/19/07She IS a sweetheart! Your prettty cool too SWAT7 , as you have lots of friends here. Your VERY well liked. Posted by prickleferret on 1/19/07you know tif, i have noticed less and less of alot of members here lately. it is too bad. i think LMD is on a rendezvous with Thief though. we rarely see Hutch, LMD, Stingray, Rick, Tony D., and hell, even you SWAT. but, like i said, sometimes people are busy to the point where they can't come here too often. either way, we are holding the site down for you guys while you are away. Posted by tifany on 1/19/07 You are the best SWAT7 We missed you so much here & great to see you back!Posted by Cooper&Burnett on 1/19/07Stick around SWAT7. I want to get to know you so I TOO can have a new friend. If MY friends like you, then I have to know you. Stick around. Posted by tifany on 1/19/07Oh I didn't know LMD & Thief are together PF eh..... when this happen? how about Viggo?Posted by prickleferret on 1/19/07i am not sure they are actually together tif but from their exchanges in the off topic section, i have to give them both a hard time. they seem to have some interest in each other though. Viggo would be very jealous. Posted by simking on 1/19/07Has anybody reconised you from your part in MV thanks for taking out Lou. costelle is a better a better LT. anyway. Posted by SCRT on 1/19/07 I think we have a new movie script at hand here: The Italian Connection Part I Posted by Jim Zubiena on 1/19/07Simking: While I was competing around the country in tournaments or on a range around here it was and is common for folks to either recognize me or hear that I am there. Firearm friendly folks where the the only ones struck by the segment. To others I was just another bad guy. Jim Posted by SWAT7 on 1/20/07speaking of "firearm friendly"...this is most unfriendly, but very significant & enlightening... I carry a Glock Model 22, .40S&W caliber with Tritium sites every day....it's GOOD MOJO....height=17 alt=Wink http://www.miami-vice.org/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&ItemPosted by prickleferret on 1/21/07HA!! wow SWAT7!! looks like you got yourself a beauty there. i have never seen so many things done to a weapon and it still fired like new. i always heard that Glocks have a great rep for dependability. thanks for the rundown. very interesting. Posted by Pink Flaming0 on 1/22/07http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/RamJet/Miami%20Vice/MV.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/RamJet/Miami%20Vice/MV-1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/RamJet/Miami%20Vice/MV-2.jpgheight=17 alt="Thumbs Up" src="http://www.miami-vice.org/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif" width=23 align=absMiddle> height=17 alt=Wink src="http://www.miami-vice.org/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>Posted by Miami Vicer on 1/25/07

height=17 alt=Wink src="http://www.miami-vice.org/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle> we rarely see Hutch, LMD, Stingray, Rick, Tony D., and hell, even you SWAT. but, like i said, sometimes people are busy to the point where they can't come here too often. height=17 alt=Cry src="http://www.miami-vice.org/forum/smileys/smiley19.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle> either way, we are holding the site down for you guys while you are away.

Well I'm still here guys. Just don't post as much as I used to. I really miss having the time to post and interact with all of you. I sincerely miss all of my old friends from here and stay in touch with quite a few of the founding members via MSN Messenger but there are many of you whom I do miss. I have a new job now as a Software Technician and take an hour lunch now and I hope to spend a majority of that on vice.org. Anyway, good to see all of you and hello to you who don't know me. Scotty PalmerPosted by Miami Vicer on 1/25/07Arzola commented that people didn't seem very suprised at our new Member Mr Zubiena. Well I am totally suprised/excited about his arrival. Hopefully I will get a chance to talk with you sometime if you wouldn't mind. I also have watched that scene with the limo, over and over again, just mesmorized by it. I always thought. " I must be seeing things, nobody can pull and shoot a gun that fast, nobody!" So I would watch to see if I could find clues that they were speeding up the film. Anyway, its amazing after all these years to hear your story Mr Zubiena. Thanks for being a part of our community and its truly an honor to have you here. For me it has revitalized this forum. Posted by SWAT7 on 1/26/07Being in the presence of many fast shooters as a Rangemaster...I can assure you all.....no one had to speed up Jim's deadly response.....it was all natural....precise...surgical.... You guys gotta research some world class action competition shooting..see the video....(IPSC, Steel Challenge, Bianchi Cup, PPC). These guys are AWESOME. Cops (not including competitors) don't even compare......trust me......I know the difference...Posted by prickleferret on 1/26/07it is good to see you here Miami Vicer!! you have been away for awhile. hey, i know you must be busy. it is nice to see you pop in once in awhile though. Posted by arzola on 1/26/07
I made that comment months ago. The interest and questions since then have been tremendous for the man who in a very important way helped to define MV. I have really enjoyed reading the questions and hearing Mr. Zubiena's answers.Posted by Miami Vicer on 1/26/07Right. I just now saw this. I know, Its my own fault. I need to read on here more often. Its my fav place on the net but just now getting time to hang out in here. GOOD TO SEE YOU TOO PRICKLEFERRET :)Posted by arzola on 1/26/07

Simking: While I was competing around the country in tournaments or on a range around here it was and is common for folks to either recognize me or hear that I am there. Firearm friendly folks where the the only ones struck by the segment. To others I was just another bad guy. Jim

Well after 20+ years your a legend to all of us. Not just another bad guy.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

After transferring several pages from Jim's original topic I've decided to simply post a link to the original topic. I am limited to copying and pasting the posts made and it just doesn't read the same especially since some posts have been edited or deleted. So I will ask (to make Jim's life a little easier) that you please read over the original topic on .org before posting a question to him here.Thanks!http://www.miami-vice.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9716&PN=16