Tubb's piece added to the collection

kokopelli

I figured what the heck- I finished the Crockett/Burnett carried gun collection, I figured Rico should get some love- just got this one:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

I can't say that I am a gunsmith or a pro when it comes to everything ammunition, but is that a .38 snub nose? Looks like no exterior hammer as well, nice for concealment for detectives! Tony.

• Administrators
I can't say that I am a gunsmith or a pro when it comes to everything ammunition' date=' but is that a .38 snub nose? Looks like no exterior hammer as well, nice for concealment for detectives! Tony.[/quote']Great find! Yep that's a .38 snub nose. The gun is a 5 shot, but Tubbs usually managed anywhere from 8-12 without reloading! ;)It can be cocked by pulling back on the raised thumb lever.I think this was S&W's first attempt at a "DA" or recessed hammer for concealed carry.I have a S&W 649 (.357) and it is double action only. There is no hammer at all and therefore will not snag on clothing on a draw.

I often wondered if Tubbs carried the S&W 49 with a steel frame or a S&W 38 with the lightweight alloy frame.?( Don't believe it was ever addressed by Tubbs or anyone else in the series. Myself I'd say it would of been a Model 49 as the NYPD didn't approve of alloy frame S&W Snub Noses when the character Tubbs left them. Now I've read the NYPD doesn't allow revolvers at all now even those that had been grandfathered in.

That's a very unique gun. I knew Tubbs carried a 5-shot revolver, but I didn't know about the lever in place of the hammer.Do today's police carry revolvers anymore?

That's a very unique gun. I knew Tubbs carried a 5-shot revolver' date=' but I didn't know about the lever in place of the hammer.Do today's police carry revolvers anymore?[/quote'] The Corrections Department in Ohio still did when I retired in 06 although there has been rumors of going Glock, but funds are tight in this state and unless there's a good trade in I doubt it will happen.

Spyder its not a lever inplace of the hammer its just a hammer shroud added on to a model 36 as part of the overall frame, the guns are more or less exactly the same save for that one feature down to the sightsEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild and it looked like he had the non shrouded 36 in addition to the bodyguard in the pilot (along with his season 1 sawn off seen in alot of the S1 episodes) which he did use in the second episode "Heart Of Darkness"Eingefügtes BildAlthought I dont ever remember him using it after that episode as I think it was given to trudy and gina to use as there guns for the rest of the shows run.Eingefügtes Bildthe beretta he used in "Smugglers Blues" (get out of MY CAR!!!) and "Calderons Return"Eingefügtes Bildand the derringer he used in "No Exit" and "Smugglers Blues" when he pulled it on the drug lord after they supposedlyremoved all of there guns before meeting with him which is exactly what that gun was designed forEingefügtes BildAlso after the pilot I think he did ditch the pachmayr grips for the wood ones and other than the two sigs he used (a 9mm 220 and a 230) in additon to that three shot pump already mentioned here I think that covers his ar-senal of gunsEingefügtes Bild

That's a very unique gun. I knew Tubbs carried a 5-shot revolver' date=' but I didn't know about the lever in place of the hammer.Do today's police carry revolvers anymore?[/quote']I never noticed Tubbs with that kind of gun. Anyone know in what episode it can be seen ?(

Is that the infamous Ithica Stakeout?

I believe so. I'm just wondering when your going to get one?It's what most people associate with Tubbs.

I like that picture even with the microphone in the foreground! :D

It's from the BEHIND THE SCENES PHOTOS thread that I started. :thumbsup:

• Administrators

I never noticed Tubbs with that kind of gun. Anyone know in what episode it can be seen ?(

I'm sure it was in the pilot as well as most of the first and second seasons. He seemed to carry two .38's a lot of the time. One on his hip and one in his ankle.This is from the Maze.Eingefügtes Bild

I dont think he carried two 38's past the ep heart of darkness, it did seem like he carried the bodyguard as a backup to his shotguns thought.and in that particular episode (The Maze) he goes undercover as a bum trying to get into a hostage situation so he puts it on his leg so they dont find it when they check him over at the doorway.

I believe so. I'm just wondering when your going to get one?It's what most people associate with Tubbs.

If I could find one, I'd snap it up!! You don't see those for sale, usually you see the longer barreled versions.

Ask around to the gun shops on what they suggest, or go to a gun show and ask around. Place an ad in a gun magazine. Contact the maker of the gun.

I think this is more or less the modern equavalent of it, the serbu super shorty basically its the same gun from the looks of it minus the heat shieldEingefügtes Bildhttp://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.phpalthought I'm not sure of the legality of it, it might require a class 3 licence.and concerning the ithicas screen appearances I remember seeing it in the prodigal son, back in the world, trust fund pirates and viking bikers from hell. if you guys want I can provide screen caps of it.

• Administrators

http://www.serbu.com/top/super_shorty_870.jpghttp://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.phpalthought I'm not sure of the legality of it, it might require a class 3 licence.and concerning the ithicas screen appearances I remember seeing it in the prodigal son, back in the world, trust fund pirates and viking bikers from hell. if you guys want I can provide screen caps of it.

That definately looks like a short barrel shotgun.

Yeah I think it has to have a barrel of a minimum of 16 inches to be considered a normal shotgun by the AFT and the feds, otherwise its an automatic 25 years in jail without the proper permit.