Forgive Us Our Debts

miamijimf

23 minutes ago, C Glide said:

I was there again today as the first time I did not get good re-creation pictures so while I was passing by I stopped again and had much better success. Example 1. I was able to locate the original camera position and shoot the same shot from the same spot this time.

Fantastic!  Perfect shot.  Did you notice if they still have speed bump that Crockett drives over?  I was so nervous because of the scary signs that I forgot to check for the speed bump.

• Like 1

No speed bump. Funny, I remembered you writing about that so I made sure to look. I put more prep time in before going this time and was ready. Spent about 5 minutes there still. They had more than a dozen "security birds"  there following me the whole time.

DSC01855.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

1323491383_Bildschirmfoto2020-10-21um16_39_31.png.e94c9efeb3a280b9dcf1111eb096759c.png

Am 30.5.2020 um 16:46 schrieb Tom:

Last Cold Case of this episode: the Cuban diner

Clues: there is a two-way street outside with running traffic. First I thought we see a T-shaped intersection through the window behind C&T, but it´s not. The diner is likely not at a corner (what seemed like a windows at an 90 degree angle left of Tubbs is most likely an interior piece of the cafe). The most decisive clue is the opposite building seen through the entrance door which is quite massive and distinctive, it looks looks like a public building and has a parking lot (diagonal parking?) in front.

I scanned with this building as a benchmark all locations of this episode, the studio and a few blocks around them but no fit. When we find this building, we find the diner. 

I doubt that they traveled long distance for this short scene with three main characters (Castillo is no other scenes other than OCB and Spanish monastery)

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-30 um 14.44.25.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-30 um 14.45.34 Kopie.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-30 um 16.07.24.png

STRONG SUSPECT FOUND BUT BACKGROUND ISSUE

This is a very mysterious case. I have searched around all known locations in this ep and have found only one cafe where everything fits except the vis a vis building we see outdoors. But historic aerials says the building vis a vis was there in 1986 already. Maybe some of you guys can help and add your thoughts. I can´t believe that this can be a coincidence but yet background says otherwise. It´s just around the corner from Los Dos Hermanos the auto repair shop in this episode at 766 W Flagler Street.

Summary of what we know: 

WHAT FITS: the cuban diner (was called LA ESQUINA DE LOS CATRACHOS at 776 W Flagler-the 776 is seen on the door- or alternately 19 SW 8 Ave and the layout (double window, single right hinged door - seen from outside, the distance between the window and the door and between the window and the back corner of the diner).

Also the turn left marker outside is exactly where it is in the episode to be seen through the door. Even the power line pole outside the door is in the right place! And the daylight on Crockett’s face fits too as there is a big window on the Flagler side that lets daylight in through the open kitchen that we can assume in the episode right outside the camera frame.

WHAT DOES NOT FIT: Outside we see in the episode a ONE Way street (two lanes, we the see turn left marker on the road) and where usual the TWO way lane of the street is we  see a pedestrian walk with some diagonal parking or a lot behind it in front of the building that looks like a public building. In reality the building vis a vis looks different and its a two way street (8th Ave). The building vis a vis in 2020 looks different than in 1986 (it was torn down and replaced after 2005) but even the one in 1986 does not fully match in my view with what we see in the episode (building front, no diagonal parking visible).

Under this address I found four restaurants in public records that were registered there in the past:

Don Castillo Restaurant, Pasabien Cafeteria, Cielo Floridiano Restaurant-cafeteria and La Esquina De Los Catrachos. The oldest one was established in 1992. I have not found older records.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-21 um 16.39.31.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-21 um 16.40.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-21 um 16.43.31.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-21 um 16.51.17.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-21 um 20.34.21.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-21 um 20.23.58.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

vor 1 Minute schrieb Dadrian:

I’m gonna hold the realtor’s head underwater repeatedly until he sells me the house for $1. 

And I´ll hold the guy´s head underwater who decided to repaint the house from pink to dull grey-blue :p

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 5:09 PM, Tom said:

STRONG SUSPECT FOUND BUT BACKGROUND ISSUE

This is a very mysterious case. I have searched around all known locations in this ep and have found only one cafe where everything fits except the vis a vis building we see outdoors. But historic aerials says the building vis a vis was there in 1986 already. Maybe some of you guys can help and add your thoughts. I can´t believe that this can be a coincidence but yet background says otherwise. It´s just around the corner from Los Dos Hermanos the auto repair shop in this episode at 766 W Flagler Street.

Summary of what we know: 

WHAT FITS: the cuban diner (was called LA ESQUINA DE LOS CATRACHOS at 776 W Flagler-the 776 is seen on the door- or alternately 19 SW 8 Ave and the layout (double window, single right hinged door - seen from outside, the distance between the window and the door and between the window and the back corner of the diner).

Also the turn left marker outside is exactly where it is in the episode to be seen through the door. Even the power line pole outside the door is in the right place! And the daylight on Crockett’s face fits too as there is a big window on the Flagler side that lets daylight in through the open kitchen that we can assume in the episode right outside the camera frame.

WHAT DOES NOT FIT: Outside we see in the episode a ONE Way street (two lanes, we the see turn left marker on the road) and where usual the TWO way lane of the street is we  see a pedestrian walk with some diagonal parking or a lot behind it in front of the building that looks like a public building. In reality the building vis a vis looks different and its a two way street (8th Ave). The building vis a vis in 2020 looks different than in 1986 (it was torn down and replaced after 2005) but even the one in 1986 does not fully match in my view with what we see in the episode (building front, no diagonal parking visible).

Under this address I found four restaurants in public records that were registered there in the past:

Don Castillo Restaurant, Pasabien Cafeteria, Cielo Floridiano Restaurant-cafeteria and La Esquina De Los Catrachos. The oldest one was established in 1992. I have not found older records.

I'm convinced that this is it. Many matching points outside plus the interior layout plus it being conveniently located directly adjacent to the Auto Shop make it pretty conclusive. I don't see the background issue that you are mentioning. I don't think there's a one way street outside as there's a hint of a white line to the left of the turn marker. The lot across from the restaurant was empty except what looks like a two door garage that is visible through the door. It's clear from the establishing shot of the Auto Shop that there were no tall buildings across the street and the brownish roofline of the low building perpendicular to the street is visible in that shot and through the restaurant window with matching window patterns. 

1382975293_Foud1b.thumb.jpg.f0e3429ebce7eb75fa36c642c39e040f.jpg

1486146032_FOUD2.thumb.jpg.c27b6c0000aa0daff0510cc89c817615.jpg

Update: I think the wall that is visible in 2013 Streetview is visible through the door.

1502087678_FOUD2013.thumb.jpg.8d1c989082711709a4a349dc3f54a624.jpg

The Auto Shop sadly was demolished in January 2019 by the way:

1763557038_FOUD3.thumb.jpg.0773e3e11c0341c573f17f72e35157ba.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb daytona365:

I'm convinced that this is it. Many matching points outside plus the interior layout plus it being conveniently located directly adjacent to the Auto Shop make it pretty conclusive. I don't see the background issue that you are mentioning. I don't think there's a one way street outside as there's a hint of a white line to the left of the turn marker. The lot across from the restaurant was empty except what looks like a two door garage that is visible through the door. It's clear from the establishing shot of the Auto Shop that there were no tall buildings across the street and the brownish roofline of the low building perpendicular to the street is visible in that shot and through the restaurant window with matching window patterns. 

Thanks a lot for that great crosscheck and confirmation! Another location mystery solved and this was the last from this episode!

I can tell you exactly what created my background doubt and this is the high white building part/roof? we see through the door on top of all the other  (marked in my photo below with a question mark), because there is no such high building in the background in this direction on the 86 aerial (just an empty lot behind that brownish roofline building)! 

I know that´s the location and all your other details are 100% conclusive but I still do not get that building part....

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-30 um 11.34.59.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Thanks a lot for that great crosscheck and confirmation! Another location mystery solved and this was the last from this episode!

I can tell you exactly what created my background doubt and this is the high white building part/roof? we see through the door on top of all the other  (marked in my photo below with a question mark), because there is no such high building in the background in this direction on the 86 aerial (just an empty lot behind that brownish roofline building)! 

I know that´s the location and all your other details are 100% conclusive but I still do not get that building part....

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-30 um 11.34.59.png

Perspective and probably also camera lens is the key here. As the camera was placed low on the counter, and probably slightly angled upwards (notice how the door is skewed), the view of the building across the street is somewhat distorted. Left of the power line mast you can see part of the aircondition system on the the rooftop, which is also visible in the historic areials pic on in the montage below, together with some more clues, i.e. the tip of one of the two rails on top of the storage building which is visible in the scene (marked yellow)

201607115_FOUD5.thumb.jpg.9e6ceb2c92245277fa509db0294b6c85.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 15 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

Perspective and probably also camera lens is the key here. As the camera was placed low on the counter, and probably slightly angled upwards (notice how the door is skewed), the view of the building across the street is somewhat distorted. Left of the power line mast you can see part of the aircondition system on the the rooftop, which is also visible in the historic areials pic on in the montage below, together with some more clues, i.e. the tip of one of the two rails on top of the storage building which is visible in the scene (marked yellow)

201607115_FOUD5.thumb.jpg.9e6ceb2c92245277fa509db0294b6c85.jpg

Amazing detective work and impressive visuals to destroy any doubt on that location and the assumed background issue respectively. Another very old case solved! Thanks! 

P.S. for those who don´t know: the roof in question belongs to the Los Paisanos restaurant at 824 W Flagler (Green square above) and it is still there.

Edited by Tom
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2020 at 2:37 PM, Tom said:

Amazing detective work and impressive visuals to destroy any doubt on that location and the assumed background issue respectively. Another very old case solved! Thanks! 

P.S. for those who don´t know: the roof in question belongs to the Los Paisanos restaurant at 824 W Flagler (Green square above) and it is still there.

Just amazing work!

Very interesting location and I walked past it last year on the way to the “Little Prince” teaser cafe/counter shop in Little Havana.

This location 776 W Flagler is now a pawn shop so I wonder how much it has changed inside - looks like Vice gave it a green paint job for FUOD. So you look out of 776 in FUOD to beyond where the yellow building is today to 824 W Flagler.

9ACF90B0-609B-488D-967A-B22E6E6EBD0E.jpeg

vor 31 Minuten schrieb Matt5:

Very interesting location and I walked past it last year on the way to the “Little Prince” teaser cafe/counter shop in Little Havana.

This location 776 W Flagler is now a pawn shop so I wonder how much it has changed inside - looks like Vice gave it a green paint job for FUOD. So you look out of 776 in FUOD to beyond where the yellow building is today to 824 W Flagler.

Yes. the yellow building is NOT 824 Flagler, but Los Paisanos is which is behind the yellow building that was erected around 2010. And Los Paisanos has the strange roof behind Crockett that I mistook for a bigger public building (which in turn caused my concern that the location I found would maybe not be right). Luckily, daytona365 proved it otherwise.

And the location was a restaurant from at least 1986 until 2010 or so. The oldest record for a predecessor cafe at that place  I found was 1992. And, in VICE it looks like a genuine cuban diner at the time. I am not sure that the green was a paint job. When I lived in Miami everything was that colorful, especially around Calle Ocho.

The whole Flagler area is a mess now. Half of the buildings have been razed and there are empty lots everywhere. Sad to watch an entire area die. La Libertad one block to the east is still there but all the buildings vis a vis that we see in Killshot (Karate Club, ...) are gone and replaced by empty lots. I wonder how long La Libertad will be open if there are hardly any living people around?

Edited by Tom

• 4 months later...

Bani Cafeteria Corp.

Company Number
M08090
Status
Inactive
Incorporation Date
26 November 1984 (over 36 years ago)
Company Type
Domestic for Profit
Jurisdiction
Florida (US)
Agent Name
GUERRERO, MANUEL J
Agent Address
2277 S.W. 15TH STREET, MIAMI, FL 33145
Inactive Directors / Officers

Company Addresses

776 WEST FLAGLER STREET, MIAMI, FL, 33130

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_fl/M08090

• Like 1

vor 9 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

Bani Cafeteria Corp.

Company Number
M08090
Status
Inactive
Incorporation Date
26 November 1984 (over 36 years ago)
Company Type
Domestic for Profit
Jurisdiction
Florida (US)
Agent Name
GUERRERO, MANUEL J
Agent Address
2277 S.W. 15TH STREET, MIAMI, FL 33145
Inactive Directors / Officers

Company Addresses

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_fl/M08090

Thanks for finding the real name of the cafeteria at the time of filming! That was the last puzzle piece missing of this last location find of this episode.

10 hours ago, airtommy said:
Agent Name
GUERRERO, MANUEL J

I guess the cafe was his front when he came to kill Sandoval. :baby:

• Haha 1

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

I guess the cafe was his front when he came to kill Sandoval. :baby:

as "Guerrero" means "warrior", this name was probably a cover too... :p

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...