Episode #35 "Yankee Dollar"

Ferrariman

Let me qualify my statement about just being friends.

I agree with all this' date=' for what it's worth - just get a gut feel overall that she was something more than just a friend.[/quote']What I meant by that statement, and I applogize for not being clear with my thoughts, was Sarah was not like Theresa. I don't think Crockett had any serious attentions toward her, but he trusted her, liked her, and as he said himself she was a lot of fun. I guess now days you'd call it friends with benefits. I don't think either one of them was serious, I told you Sonny was romantic so hense the flowers. he was a Southern Gentlemen at heart, and just becuase he was having sexual relations This was the eighties, I don't think she was his special friend just someone he thought he could trust and have fun with (aka. Sex)

I wrote some silly crap here back in the day which I changed my mind about. Guess it came with maturity. I was misguided back then. I don't know what I was thinking.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti

I cannot share some people's enthusiasm for season 2. Having reavaluated it' date=' I think the criticism that S2 had weak storylines and was style over substance is completely justified. No one can deny the style but the quality of the storylines was overwhelmingly poor. No wonder Michael Mann recruited Dick Wolf to come up with stronger storylines in season 3.Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I completely dislike season 2. I love a lot of season 2 episodes. When it got it right it produced absolutely fantastic episodes (like Little Miss Dangerous, Buddies,Payback) but when it got it wrong it was as bad as season 4 (Tale of the Goat, Junk Love, Trust Fund Pirates, Free Verse)I think the writing was neglected for most of the season. It's my opinion that season 2 is overrated. A great season for style but not so much for substance.[/quote']I agree in some aspects, while I have given a lot of high scores to some of the episodes on the season, the writing was kida slouching a bit, one thing I notice is the season feels just too lightweight compared to season one, with exceptions for the episodes you mentioned, The Fix, and Back In The World, episodes like Yankee Dollar, Junk Love and Trust Fund Pirates make it feel too lighthearted, then again I've always prefered the darker, more serious tone of the later seasons.

Guest neworder
I cannot share some people's enthusiasm for season 2. Having reavaluated it' date=' I think the criticism that S2 had weak storylines and was style over substance is completely justified. No one can deny the style but the quality of the storylines was overwhelmingly poor. No wonder Michael Mann recruited Dick Wolf to come up with stronger storylines in season 3.Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I completely dislike season 2. I love a lot of season 2 episodes. When it got it right it produced absolutely fantastic episodes (like Little Miss Dangerous, Buddies,Payback) but when it got it wrong it was as bad as season 4 (Tale of the Goat, Junk Love, Trust Fund Pirates, Free Verse)I think the writing was neglected for most of the season. It's my opinion that season 2 is overrated. A great season for style but not so much for substance.[/quote']Gotta say Im in agreement partially too, something Ive realised over the past few episodes of season 2. Season 3 has way more substance, and the stories are better, the first half of S3 is probably the strongest period of Vice IMO finished at Down for the count then it goes down hill as the stories become a little bit too complex for their own good. S2 still remains by fave I think because I cant resist the style, but your point is extremely justified. I watched heroes of the revolution today, an episode I pounded on my .org review...it's still very average to poor but I believe putting the gina inconsistancies aside, the story was atleast quite decent. Many S2 episodes are saved by style and decent action for me.

Gotta say Im in agreement partially too' date=' something Ive realised over the past few episodes of season 2. Season 3 has way more substance, and the stories are better, the first half of S3 is probably the strongest period of Vice IMO finished at Down for the count then it goes down hill as the stories become a little bit too complex for their own good. S2 still remains by fave I think because I cant resist the style, but your point is extremely justified. I watched heroes of the revolution today, an episode I pounded on my .org review...it's still very average to poor but I believe putting the gina inconsistancies aside, the story was atleast quite decent. Many S2 episodes are saved by style and decent action for me.[/quote']I have to agree. From a "substance" perspective, Season 3 was the strongest Season. However Season 2 will always be my favourite Season.

I grade this episode with a 10! It really gave the feel of a huge drug deal building up at some point. And the booby trap sequence with Sonny and Rico boating to the meet is one of my favorite static moments of the show, with another Russ Ballard track playing in the background! It makes my favorite list to be sure.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Something about this ep reminds me of Season 3 - definitely felt a little darker than many of the eps from S1 & S2. In fact if Castillo hadn't come in on the final scene and told the cops to book Glide for the gun' date=' I would go so far as to say this ep 'belongs' in Season 3. One of the problems I had with this ep was the 'grainy' quality of the film it seems like was used for most of the ep - just really annoying it lacks some of that crispness.Starts very dark with the OD and subsequent death of Sonny's girlfriend - I didn't even know about this girl! - she lasts about as long as Rico's gf in the intro to Walk Alone! This is a good strong intro here. Also interestingly Sonny seems to be quite pensive before picking the phone up to enquire about Sarah's flight details - part of this must be driven by the fact he knows everyone else seems to be busy (especially Rico who is off romancing someone or other), but you have to wonder if this extended pause is something to do with Callie or not? Sometimes difficult to tell how much time is supposed to have passed at OCB between eps, but generally speaking there's not usually any reason to assume a long gap, so Callie might well still be on his mind. But if this is the case there's also the question of who this Sarah girl really is - to my mind she strikes me as Sonny's girlfriend, but she could also just be a good friend. Now was that the actress who plays LMD walking out just before Sonny's girlfriend at the airport?! It might just be... looks very similar, and if you check the glossary you'll notice that although we have one other ep airing between this one and LMD, the principal photography for these 2 eps was consecutive - so she might have been easy to use as an extra in this one if she was already on site about to film for LMD. I love the shot of Sonny with his gun in the BMW seller's face - his hair looks so cool, eyes so wide, and that beautiful moody sky in the background - man, that's the cool this show just oozed - some people just never get it - but boy if you get it, you love this kind of shot! As C&T chase down Sarah's brother at the beach I'm guessing Sonny was running like that (with arm pinned to jacket) to prevent people seeing his piece underneath.Loved Glide's place with the massive windows overlooking the shoreline - beautiful - and with the grey stormy clouds and wind blowing the palms outside the window it looked cool. Also liked it as C&B approached Glide's party uninvited in the Scarab - once again a beautiful shot of clouds in the skyline. Liked the scene where we see Sonny driving in shades later in the mellow sunlight and stops at the light, looks at the girl in the car next to him who smiles - just like the way the car is shot in that light I think. Sonny at OCB when he throws the chair when interviewing Glide is the kind of passionate Sonny we see in Season 3 eps sometimes. Love it when Castillo asks C&T 'have either of you got a problem with that?' and then intentionally glares at Sonny - he's obviously the only one who hates this! The second half of this ep begins to bore me a little I think, and there seems to be less to admire in the style department. Also not sure the charge of the gun on Glide would stick? The guy who plays Glide also annoys me a fair bit - he comes across as one of Vice's less charismatic crooks and I'm never enamoured with him in Vice - appears in other eps, noticeably in one or another of the Lombard eps as Lebrizzi if I recall correctly. Anyhow, a pretty stylish ep overall, and quite dark in principle too - I give this a 7.5 out of 10 - rounded down to 7 for the poll as once again I think 8 overscores it.[/quote']i agree with your review 100% :) i really dug the scene where crockett dives into the water after timmy davis and then proceeds to drag him out by his lapels, "ok, pal, let's start again, WHO ARE YOU?" fabulous!

• 10 months later...

Starts off really good, with the opening and the scenes with Sara's brother. Sadly it falls into mediocrity for the remainder, Charley Glide was an idiotic clown.Just couldn't take him seriously, love when Sonny kicks the chair from under him.

• 2 months later...

My thoughts about YDTo me, the episode was good. When Crockett and Tubbs are chasing the man by the ocean, that really seemed Vice-ish. It seemed like that really fit in with Vice. Crockett wouldn't care how dirty he got his clothes, he would just do his job.

I give this episode 8.5-9/10. I love the fun intro starting out in the OCB with everyone involved in some dialog. The rid to the airport and then his girl dying from and OD really started the show on a fast pace. How this show reminded me of season 3 was how Tubbs really had no dialog except for a few lines and was always behind Crockett. I loved the ending. It’s one of the few scenes I remember as a child. The only thing about this episode I didn’t like was how slow in the middle, but it did heat up again. Good episode!

• 10 months later...

Brilliant episode!!!:happy::clap::glossy:I really really love Yankee Dollar because the interplay between thrilling and dramatic plot, awesome music and exquisite style is perfect.The teaser with its fast cuts and unsettled incident is superb, especially Par Avion by Mike + The Mechanics fits perfectly.:happy::radio:I admire the racy sequenced scenes because this makes the happenings much more tragically.After the death of Sarah, it's clear that Sonny does his utmost to catch her murderer respectively the backer.This circumstance is the best start for an exciting episode!!! And this episode doesn't disappoint me!Ned Eisenberg aka Charlie Glide is a gorgeous gangster. He excellently dovetails with VICE and his charakter is a tightrope walk between cleverness and insanity.:glossy:He manages to double-cross not only Sonny and Rico, but also Lydia Sugerman and her entourage.I deeply love the final scene when Castillo shows him the weapon without looking into Glide's eyes - and gives him in charge!!!:clap:Sonny is in Yankee Dollar highly explosive and irritable - in this way I want to see him!!:thumbsup:Pretty cool when he knocks Glide's chair down...Moreover one of the best dialogues between Larry and Stan appears here: they sit on their undercover-boat and discuss about meeting places of gangsters!:D:DThere are only two songs, but they are first-class: You're Time Is Gonna Come by Russ Ballard is a fantastic 80s rock track which is ageless. The same applies to Par Avion!:radio:And Jan Hammer features a good old score - The Trial And The Search!As always style and design is excellent - especially Sonny's striped jacket is nice!10 of 10 points!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

After two great episodes this one feels like a letdown. It's not a bad episode, but I just can't get much out of it (maybe it's too predictable). There is nothing specialy in this episode, but it contains a few good moments. Also Charlie Glide is probably the best of Ned Eisenberg's characters (he had four guest appearances).7/10

• 10 months later...

I love this episode, and enjoy watching it everytime I go through the series! :D The beginning with Crockett and his girlfriend OD'ing is very heart-felt and touching! The song they chose was also perfect for the situation...tragic and sad! :cry: I also thought for the time Audrey Matson (Sarah Davis) did a superb acting job when having the seizures from the burst cocaine balloon in her stomach! I remember seeing that for the first time and thinking...whoa! :eek: That was almost too real...but it captivates you because of that. :clap:However, I'm sorry if this sounds mean but Crockett didn't always choose the most attractive girlfriends. :p I never thought Brenda from "Nobody Lives Forever" was very attractive...and I think Sarah from this one is even less attractive! :eek: But, I still would not want her to die. ;)I love the action, explosions in the boat house, the characters of Charlie Glide & Max Rogo, Lydia Sugarman, the music, etc...it was just an awesome episode! Also, despite the "dark" and sad beginning...this one also had some humor! I love Charlie Glide's party that Crockett crashes and that air-head blonde is "ooing & awwing" over Glides butt-ugly, painted statue! I also laugh my butt off everytime at the character of Zabado--"sliming" caviar all over his mouth, swigging champagne like it was soda, spitting food while laughing hysterically at everything...I laugh hysterically everytime I watch him! :) :DCrockett and Tubbs put the "slide on Charlie Glide"...but they also put the slide on me to love this one everytime! :D I gave it a 9.

This might be my favourite episode of all time. 10/10It has everything you want in Vice..well for me anyway1. Crockett being a badass(like usual)2. Quintessential Drugs story3. Cool Pre-intro scene with "Par avion", one of the most depressing songs they used(in a good way)4. Lots of Scarab5. Foot Chase on the beach..6. ..then Crockett tackling the guy into the sea and then punching him in his face for caring more about the drugs than the dead chick.7. Burnett and cooper faux introducing themselves at a drug deal, it reminded me of brothers keeper8. Russ ballard 9. Charlie glideJust a top episode, shows what they can do when everything comes together nicely

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Outstanding. I forgot how much I liked this episode, and upon last evening's gazing once again my memory is ignited. I'll share a few words about it categorically...

The scenes: Magnificent spots with the boats here, from the night riding C/T and Glide to the spot he calls them out (and gets called out!$) to the twisted creepy decrepit freighter with the "upgraded" dining area. (What was up with that? greatness) The explosion boat house, well filmed and presented. I've always been drawn to the boat scenes in MV, and this episode certainly does not disappoint. 

Has anyone here noticed or mentioned the actual RATS in the police confiscation storage room? One of them appears to actually be nibbling on a bag of flake! Coked-up long-tailed rodents deserve a mention here, perhaps the force couldn't afford a a quality pest control service? (Even more amusing to me since Stan and Larry utilized this profession as a cover often!)

The opening when Sonny calls and meets Sarah, the classic haunting track from Mike and the Mechanics, (I just found the album on vinyl), a wonderful emotionally moving and then disturbing progression. I could feel his enthusiasm and subsequent let-down when she politely refused his offer to spend the evening together, and then the horrific happens. Every time I watch this one, I can't help but still wish he could save her somehow. It was obvious to me that they had spent some great times together, as time allowed with their professional schedules and lifestyles. 

Sonny is on the verge of rampage, the unfortunate car selling guys, and then her brother. Excellent moments.

Characters:

Charlie Glide. I found him to be an incredibly effective and interesting villain. His entire smirking vibe, the self confident (obnoxious) attitude of considering himself one step ahead of life and untouchable, was a nice touch. He seems to be a polarizing one around here in the forum, love or hate. I think he is grand opposite from the foreign-accented drug lord evil deity personas seen often in MV, refreshing if you will. (Don't get me wrong pal, me and C. Glide would probably not get along in real life).

Max Rogo. Wow, is this guy not the stereotypical 80's coked out, burnt out, high dollar insane criminal's assistant? It's been years since I've seen the Al Pacino film "Carilto's Way" but if memory serves me correctly, Sean Penn portrayed his lawyer or otherwise, and I got similar vibes (This MV episode came before). Even Rockstar's massively successful video game Vice City had this same type guy. I thought Max was well casted, and played the role well. Fun part when C/T, still wet from a late night swim, drag him out of the bar. I think he says "Oh Shit", good one slipped past the television censor crew

Perhaps my only complaint is the end (Spoiler alert if you've not seen it). Glide going out on the murder rap due to his gun was weak, "I didn't do it". 

I could go on and on, but the entire lot of our beloved supporting characters shined in this one. Solid, classic Miami Vice, worth re-visiting if you've not seen in awhile.

Edited by DeepCover333
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A big Yeah, that! to all of DeepCover333's comments above.  

LOL, I had to rewatch the scene in the property room a couple of times before I saw the rat :)

This was another great episode and I really have (almost) nothing left to say that hasn't been said.  Par Avion is another MV-featured piece I would never have found and I love it.  The atmosphere it adds to the scene when Sonny picks up Sarah and drives her back to her apartment makes the events that follow even sadder.  

A couple of tiny nitpicks about Sarah and the ER scene:  

1. When Sarah is on the bathroom floor having a seizure:  her seizure movements were quite good.  Maybe she could have gotten off that scream before it started, but I don't really believe she would have been able to look at Sonny with the pleading look she did and perform the purposeful movement she was doing (looked like she was trying to get up).  All of that was good for dramatic effect but I've seen a lot of seizures and those things didn't look true to any real ones I've seen.  

2.  When the team defibrillates Sarah--a defibrillator doesn't really make that sound.  It's almost more like a thunk than like the electrical static sound they used.  They did do a good job with trying to show that the defibrillator paddles were applied to bare skin (not over her slip) without actually exposing her breast.

3.  In the next scene, when the ER doctor is telling Sonny what was found in Sarah's GI tract (and I do give them props for making the doc a woman):  obviously the autopsy (or whatever investigation was done to retrieve those bags of cocaine) was done immediately after Sarah's death, before any next-of-kin is notified--which is just not realistic, even in a major metropolitan hospital.  And Miami Vice in some other episodes left the impression that Miami was almost a backwater in the world of medicine (no neurosurgeon in Miami--or anywhere closer than Atlanta--capable of removing the bullet in A Bullet for Crockett?  Really?!?)  Yes, it would be a coroner's case and an autopsy would be done without need for consent by next-of-kin, but I can't believe in immediately.

Obviously this is why my family won't watch any medical shows with me and why I can't watch Gray's Anatomy... ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I too like to think this episode begins right after Definitely Miami. The opening is one of my favorites. I'm listening to Par Avion right now.

I love Charlie Glide. And the dinner scene with Angel Fernandez being a pig had me in tears. Always good to see the Scarface house.

After Sarah's brother is dealt with, it does become kinda formulaic. Ehh not a big deal if its a good formula.

Your Time is Gonna Come by Russ Ballard is badass.

Love the boat scene set to the Trial and the Search

8/10

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I’ve never fully understood this:

Can someone briefly explain why Lydia shoots Zabado at the end, and why she was upset with Charlie? It’s obvious that Charlie expected her distaste and had a lie prepared for her when she turned the gun to him. 

Their entire exchange of dialogue at that point has always been confusing to me. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 9/7/2018 at 3:13 AM, Dadrian said:

I’ve never fully understood this:

Can someone briefly explain why Lydia shoots Zabado at the end, and why she was upset with Charlie? It’s obvious that Charlie expected her distaste and had a lie prepared for her when she turned the gun to him. 

Their entire exchange of dialogue at that point has always been confusing to me. 

I think Lydia kills Zabado and intended to kill Glide as well and take everything. What I got from it when he got shot  was well you have been truly played.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I think Lydia kills Zabado and intended to kill Glide as well and take everything. What I got from it when he got shot  was well you have been well and truly played, adios!

So she was gonna rip them off all along, regardless, or at least because Glide muffed on the sample/changed the plan on her?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2009 at 9:34 PM, Tommy Vercetti said:

I cannot share some people's enthusiasm for season 2. Having reavaluated it, I think the criticism that S2 had weak storylines and was style over substance is completely justified. No one can deny the style but the quality of the storylines was overwhelmingly poor. No wonder Michael Mann recruited Dick Wolf to come up with stronger storylines in season 3.Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I completely dislike season 2. I love a lot of season 2 episodes. When it got it right it produced absolutely fantastic episodes (like Little Miss Dangerous, Buddies,Payback) but when it got it wrong it was as bad as season 4 (Tale of the Goat, Junk Love, Trust Fund Pirates, Free Verse)I think the writing was neglected for most of the season. It's my opinion that season 2 is overrated. A great season for style but not so much for substance.

I'm having the exact same feeling as I go through Season 2 again right now. Style over substance. 

• Sad 1

I have since changed my mind on Yankee Dollar from 15 minutes in to the end, I now think it's good. Charlie Glide is pretty good and his lawyer is a lot like Rosenberg from Vice City which is cool, and Kleinfeld from Carlito's Way for that matter. There's a good speedboat scene and I like the location of the stadium on Biscayne Bay.  Great Jan tunes in this episode too . Liked seeing Pepe Serna from Scarface and I liked the Jimmy Cliff song The Harder They Come. There's a good scene escaping the bomb and a good shootout. Overall this is a good episode and I'd give it 7/10. 

I was too harsh on season 2 in the past and that was a mistake on my part. I now rescind some of my past opinions on it, like the one quoted above. Season 2 is great and the style was at it's pinnacle and it was the most Mannesque.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 3