Episode #34 "Definitely Miami"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

One of my top 5 eps.!I give this one a solid 10.Callie was hot and the music was great.Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 1

One of my top 5 eps.!I give this one a solid 10.Callie was hot and the music was great.Eingefügtes Bild

X20000000!!!! Top 5 for sure. Nugent....Yep perfect for vice and yes the music, scenery and story were great. OK....Anyone notice the 'messenger' at the pool when he runs away from Sonny and Rico and the scene changes like from across the pool and he's soaking wet and leaving foot prints when he's running past Ted sitting by the pool side bar?? Anyway, very cool yet this ep was filmed in some unusual heat that's really isn't filmed in before. Too many great one-liners that folks here have used in their signatures. This IS Miami Vice as I know it!!! I give this ep a 10....:clap::clap::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:...Mike

OK, another episode that makes me love MIAMI vice! The sand, the blue-green sea, the blue sky, the beachfront hotel, the pool, the heat, Callie in a wet bottled-water t-shirt, the music.......it all makes for an enjoyable episode! A couple strange things. Where did Ted Nugent hide the bulldozer that buried the cars?? Who shot Maria, after she stabbed her brother, was it one of the cops or a hit man?? Sonny is a fool for a good looking chic and Rico tried to warn him. I like this one and give it a 9

• Like 1

One of the best...loved the part where they are digging up the cars...helicopter on the beach...great music and photography.

There were some funny lines in this episode. Crockett : "It's so hot I can fry an egg on my face." Tubbs : " I hope I never get that hungry." This is not the best ep. from Season 2, I think Phil the Shill is much better, but Definitely Miami has that Florida - vacation, feel! When the cops were arresting Callie, she was playing up to the cop & could have grabbed his gun very easily. He should have been more careful!

When the cops were arresting Callie, she was playing up to the cop & could have grabbed his gun very easily. He should have been more careful!Good call Tony, I was thinking the same thing when I watched this episode a few weeks back....I gotta see it again....and again..... and.....Mike

• Administrators
...Who shot Maria' date=' after she stabbed her brother, was it one of the cops or a hit man??... [/quote']If you looked real close after she was shot, it was the hit man with the screwy Mohawk that shot her.

10/10!!!Fantastic! My favorite line in the whole of Miami Vice, when Ted Nugent comes out of his apartment onto the balcony, looks around left to right and says in approval "Definitely Miami!" (as per my signature of course!)Love it!

Definitely a great Miami Vice episode. Good intro, even though the long shot revealed there was nothing there to dump the sand. Then there was an excellent sequence at the beachfront hotel. Very sizzling. Obviously a great sequence. Very nice location, Callie looked smokin' hot and some great dialogue between Crockett and Tubbs. Sonny and Callie's scenes together are entertaining too and very attractive visually, especially the scenes on the beach and in the safehouse. Callie was a great femme fatale. And the whole episode has a sultry, steamy atmos that's very effective and similar to neo noir films such as Body Heat and DJ's film The Hot Spot.Interesting to see the Rickenbacker Causeway in it's construction phase. Wonderful scenery there obviously and a good sequence too.
Great guest stars in Arielle, Nugent and Albert Hall. The story of the ep is good but isn't the best ever.
Fantastic ending with a fabulous use of Godley & Creme's 'Cry' Gotta love the closing scene on the beach.One of the greatest scenes in the history of the series. 
Overall a solid and entertaining episode. 9/10

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
Changed opinions. Updated thoughts

Guest neworder

Very enjoyable episode. Probably fits the Vice reputation for style over substance perfectly, but the style is so immense its hard to score this any less than a 9. The ending sequence is pure gold, Don Johnson didn't have to say a word in this sequence, the music and his mood told the story of the scene. 9/10

This episode has style to spare but the story is very lacklustre. Those who claim that MV is style over substance would have a lot of ammunition with this episode. It's pretty plotless. There isn't really a coherent narrative or storyline' date=' just some stuff happens.The story in this episode is very weak and virtually non-existent.A major complaint. But then a lot of people here seem to prefer style over substance. [/quote']I would have to respectfully disagree with you on that one Tommy. I think the episode had a good balance between style and substance. There were in fact two clear storylines in this episode. The storyline of Crockett falling for someone who ended up trying to set him up, and the storyline of Clemente trying to set up his sister whilst Joe Dalva cannot see the truth through his own ambition. Basically the whole theme of the episode was love and betrayal. I can understand though that having two storylines running concurrently in this episode may mean that the two storylines appear to be spread thin throughout. I also feel that there was a kind of laid back quality throughout the episode that was supposed to give you the feel of heat and how it was slowing everyone down.
  • Like 2

Don't know what I was thinking back then. Silly what was written here before. I was too critical of this ep in the past but I've seen the error!

Edited by Tommy Vercetti

This is my favorite MV ep. The mix of the scenery, music and the Sonny & Callie storyline were just awesome for me. This ep. has the best Jan Hammer score in the series in my opinion. The only thing I have against this ep. is the Dalva character because he is just so smug and overly ambitious, but I realize that was the purpose of his character. I usually just skip through his scenes when I'm watching this ep. Two of my favorite scenes happen back-to-back: the first is when Sonny sees Callie in the hotel bar and they take a walk on the beach (see my avatar), with Callie telling Sonny all about her problems (bad husband, etc.). I love the scenery, score and even wardrobe in this scene. The second is immediately afterward in the safehouse - I love the look on Sonny's face when Callie is telling him that he's restless and lonely. This sudden look of nervousness comes over him that shows that she's seeing straight through him, reading him like a book, and it seems to really hit home with him. He takes the chance with this woman, and ends up disappointed when he realizes the whole thing was a game to her. I can't think of too many episodes in which Sonny had someone working undercover on him vs. the other way around. I feel sorry for Sonny in the end because I think he genuinely wanted to help Callie and himself in a way, but ends up being totally deceived. Callie tries to sweet-talk him at the end and Sonny doesn't even reply - he knows what she is now, what Tubbs was trying to warn him about.

• Like 2

My favorite of season 2:

For anybody who follows pistol shooting here's an interesting fact. Ted is as many of you know an active hunter with a bow, but he's also a fan of the 10MM. His choice of pistols in 10MM is the Glock. In this episode his character is killed by Sonny with a Bren Ten, the first 10MM pistol.
  • Like 1

Guest neworder
two storylines that were sh!t' date=' badly executed and uncompelling. The only thing that captivated me by this episode was the style. The story didn't[/quote']lol definitely not an episode for people who like a good storyThis is one of the rare occasions where a Vice ep has 2 big "stories" happening in the same episode, another example would be to have to hold and by then the style was gone and therefore, it was an awful episode.

My original review from a few years ago.This is one of my favorite episodes but, it took a few years for it to be so, mainly because I had seen very poorly cut versions of this episode. Once I saw the whole thing I became a big fan of it. It has everything, A romantic Sonny, a beautiful woman, the whole OCB gang involved with a different case, Tubbs trying to support but warn his friend again, beautiful scenery, the beach, good music, and just plain hot! By a romantic Sonny I’m talking about in the classic sense as defined by literature and music. He wants to believe in love and keeps looking for it, but knows down in his soul this won’t be the one, though he hopes against hope and chases it until it inevitably concludes in disappointment. Ted Nugent’s Angry Young Man sets the scene nicely, when I viewed this episode for the first time, I didn’t understand until the last few scenes in the episode why we saw that first scene with the guy getting buried in his car. (OK I was slow) By the time Sonny meets Charlie at the same place, I understood the first scene. Charlie does seem to be an angry young man. – I wonder if this is the first time the guest star had his own song playing while he was acting in a scene? (Phill Collins wasn't really acting in the scene as it was Stan and Jo running the rat race durring Phill's song)Switch to the pool side where Rico and Sonny are sitting. I love the banter, especially when Sonny comments he feels like he’s in a Beckett Play (Did Sonny take literature in college?) and Rico asks how he knows Beckett and Sonny quickly talks about Charlie Beckett used to write plays in the shoe shine…. ROTFL like he’s ashamed of showing a little culture. Of course the highlight for me being a DJ fan is the long looks of Sonny smiling as we cut to Callie and then back to Sonny and then back to Callie and then back to Sonny, and the comments Rico is making and Sonny’s comebacks. I love that part. The music ‘Europa’ is perfect for a sexy scene like that and fits the scene beautifully. Sonny is genuinely puzzled why Clemente’s messenger says Clemente wants Maria Rojas there when Clemente meets with the police. You can see it in his expression and hear it in his tone. I’ve come to the conclusion that Miami Vice does NOT like the Feds. Everytime I see them in an episode they’re arrogant, and obtuse. I can’t think of one Miami vice episode where the Feds don’t come off bad except possibly Contempt of Court and Blood and Roses. I love Sonny and Rico’s looks when the Fed guy is talking about beautiful scenery, tropical climate, he could really get used to this. What’s really amusing is that Rico expressed much the same sentiment when he first arrived in Miami, and now he’s amused that the Fed guy is expressing the same sentiment. I really liked Castillo standing up to the Fed guy and trying to go ahead with the meet without exposing a protected witness, it was only after the Fed got Castillo’s boss to order him to cooperate that he participated in trapping Maria so the Fed guy could ‘talk’ to her. Sonny and Callie. Sonny’s interested, but notice he doesn’t jump immediately. He let’s Callie introduce herself, and just sizes her up behind his shades. It’s only after Callie leaves that Sonny picks out the Ice cube Callie has rubbed all over herself and sucks on it (so sexy) and tells Rico not to worry he’s immune. Next day when they follow-up with the guy that was at the pool bar trying to get information about Clemente’s messenger, Sonny sees Callie, and decides to pursue the introduction. The first thing he says after she walks away after telling him to leave her alone, is “what is your game?†Callie replies she isn’t playing one, that she has a bad marriage. It looks to me, that Sonny decides to help her if she really needs help. That whole scene at the beach house is excellent. Sonny wants to help if she really needs it, but after his conversation with her he’s not sure, especially the way his expression changes when Callie says that men are her job, and then amends it quickly to one man. Sonny warns her “You don’t know me, you don’t know anything about me. You don’t know what you’re dealing with.†Callie is so sure that Sonny is just like the other men she picked. Sonny goes along with it and does kiss her. Later on when he’s with Rico he says something’s up but he can’t put his finger on it. It’s not until he goes to Callie’s room in the hotel, and Callie wants to make love and pushes him on the bed, and Charlie comes in a second afterwards, that Sonny knows for sure they’re running a game on him, It’s why he didn’t pulls his gun or his badge as he told Rico “They’re setting me up, I mean they’re setting Burnett up. Sonny later tries to call Callie and she doesn’t answer. Rico tries to tell him to be careful, and remember about edges and cops, and Sonny says he talks too much and goes to the Beach house he took Callie to, where he notices the bruises on Callie’s face. Notice his expression change from anger, to disappointment and resignation as soon as Callie tells him about the coke, and the rote questions he asks it’s like all the expression has gone out of his voice and face. He even kisses her without any passion in it. Back at OCB he tells Rico essentially he knew she was bad, “The head and the heart Rico, just once I’d like to get them together. ....Maybe we only see what we want to see..." The music ‘Cry’ is perfect for the scene. Callie and Charlie don’t know how to play the game, but Callie, cheated , and lied and did want to make Sonny want to cry, but of course he did the cool thing and hid his emotions behind his shades, I can’t help but think of Maltese Falcon’s ending when Bogie sends Mary Astor over to Prison. Rico and Gina go question Clemente’s messenger. I found it curious that Gina spoke the questions in Spanish, and Rico didn’t. I know Gina is supposed to be part Cuban, but Rico has always understood and spoken Spanish before. Was this done to establish that Gina spoke it too, or did they just want to give Gina more lines in the story? I love the way Castillo glares at the Fed in the end after both Clemente and his sister are killed. If looks could kill that Fed would be history, probably is anyway, I wonder if Castillo made some calls, and made sure that Fed never put anyone in jeopardy again. OK little things that puzzle me. 1. Like Tony said how did Charlie burry all those cars without someone noticing. Was it a Bulldozer, a crane or what? 2. After Maria stabs Rojas, why does she say see I told you he was going to kill me when it still doesn’t look like he was yet. Did she see the sniper and recognize him as one of her brother’s men? I doubt it if the Vice squad didn’t even pick up on it. Even after she’s killed her brother (a prize the Feds wanted badly, why does the Fed say to the policemen who are going to apprehend her to leave her alone? 3. The Sniper, was he a cop paid off, or was he one of Clemente’s men who some how infiltrated the cop protection, after all Clemente knew where the meet was going to be so he could have had one of his men there dressed like the other cops. 4. At the end when they’re digging up all the bodies and cars that Charlie has buried who are they reporting to? They call the guy Lt. but Castillo is still at the Clemente fiasco, is this another Lt. who looks a lot like Castillo? I give this episode a 9.9 because of my questions, but this is a very good episode, and one I can watch over and over again. 6/15/2009 - Of course since we can't give 9.9's I'll amend it for the poll here to a ten as my questions don't detract from the over all quality of this episode. Both story lines held my attention and I thought they were very well done. The guy who played the Fed did a good job as I really hated his guts and was glad at his come uppance at the end.

• Like 3

Don't keep your ratings a secret, folks! We won't feel bad if it's low....but it would help to see what is considered good or bad.

Don't keep your ratings a secret' date=' folks! We won't feel bad if it's low....but it would help to see what is considered good or bad.[/quote']Good point Tony D. I voted a ten, but forgot to post it also...

Don't keep your ratings a secret' date=' folks! We won't feel bad if it's low....but it would help to see what is considered good or bad.[/quote']Although I've registered my vote, I'll be posting my review tomorrow. I didn't publicise my rating on my previous post as that was just a comment rather than my actual review. I'd love to know who rated this episode a 4 though!

... but Definitely Miami has that Florida - vacation' date=' feel! [/quote']A woman like Callie to fall in love with? I think I'd call that a trip to heaven, not just a mere vacation!Of course, the French accent only improves everything. The episode is a 10 - only since I can't "go to 11" (courtesy of Spinal Tap).

I just viewed the episode for the first time in about 2 years about an hour ago, so this is a fresh review, I've been falling behind a bit.A lot of people love this episode, I see why but I have a few problems:The pool scene is the best in the episode, it reminds me of neo-noir films like Body Heat, even had that same type music, but the problem is the rest of this side of the story is too much afterthoughts, doesn't continue the noir that scene provided.And the whole story is problematic, for one thing, telling two stories in one episode is always a problem, the story with Ted Nugent is an interesting idea but should really have been done in it's own episode on it's own, the second story is a good idea, just there's really nothing there, half the people on the case you don't know who they are, in previous stories you get at least some character, this one feels like cardboard cut-outs reading a script.The episode would have been much better if they hadn't decided to scrunch two stories into one 48 minute episode, there are some stylish scenes here such as the noirish pool scene, the sun fading into sportscar going to their planned death at the hands of Ted Nugent (who feels like they threw him in just to say he's in the episode, kinda underused here) but there are a lot of average stuff such as the pure mundaness of the story where the dealer wants to see his sister.I just can't give this a high score, too problematic and too uneven, I give it a 6 out of 10.

Although I've registered my vote' date=' I'll be posting my review tomorrow. I didn't publicise my rating on my previous post as that was just a comment rather than my actual review. I'd love to know who rated this episode a 4 though![/quote']I say we have a witch hunt to find them! :D Legba, I should be hitting Sheffield next week think