Episode #34 "Definitely Miami"

Ferrariman

21 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Oh, certainly.  I like good stories too, lol!  But I love it whenever Vice breaks free of plot devices and gets cinematic and sensational. Bliss, as you say.  :)

Absolutely!! :dance2:

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 2:24 AM, dragon48 said:

I'm writing to discuss the scene where Crockett gets beat up by Charlie Basset in the hotel room. 

Crockett doesn't realize he's being played until he mentions it to Tubbs in the next scene, but I do think he had plans for Bassett, and this is my theory.  Crockett's super detective instincts kicked in much earlier in the episode and he thought that in addition to protecting Callie, he could bust Basset for something big, even though he didn't know what it would be for yet.  Had he arrested him for the assault, he would have missed the opportunity, and had he won the fight, Bassett wouldn't take a dominant role and later try and setup Burnett.

Am I on to something, or do some folks have alternate theories about why Crockett got has ass kicked?  

Interesting point you raised and I’ve definitely thought about this aswell while watching the episode. Initially before I looked into it more, it was kinda out of nowhere seeing Crockett get his ass handed to him. But upon looking into it more, it’s safe to say Crockett already had an inclination something was up before he even went to the hotel room. This was confirmed in the previous scene with Crockett and Tubbs walking on the beach. Crockett saying something to the effect of “Somethings not right”. So yes, Crockett wasn’t sure exactly but had the vibes. Upon getting beaten up, in the moment Crockett had his suspicions confirmed and just took it instead of pulling a gun or calling for back up ect exposing his identity. 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I just rewatched Definitely Miami after not seeing any episodes for 3-4 years and I almost regret it lmao. I feel depressed that I'm not living out this fantasy world and I'm still living here in the Midwest with a regular desk job and regular car. Man, the feeling this episode gives me is indescribable. It's like a world I badly want to live in that doesn't exist.

I've been contemplating rewatching the first two seasons for my own entertainment.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

I just rewatched Definitely Miami after not seeing any episodes for 3-4 years and I almost regret it lmao. I feel depressed that I'm not living out this fantasy world and I'm still living here in the Midwest with a regular desk job and regular car. Man, the feeling this episode gives me is indescribable. It's like a world I badly want to live in that doesn't exist.

I've been contemplating rewatching the first two seasons for my own entertainment.

You’ve basically described & captured MV in the proverbial nutshell, right there! :dance2: That’s one of (if not the) biggest fascinating aspects of the show, that instantly draws you in...a wild, but captivating fantasy-world that you wished “was”, but “isn’t.”

I love watching the show every couple years for several sorts of entertainment (colors, fashion, buildings & architecture, music, cars, etc...). But, there’s nothing wrong with the Midwest, a job, and a car (even if it’s not a Ferrari or vintage Cadillac). ;) That’s more than a lot have. 

Besides, it’s much more fun to “watch” murders, car bombings, shootouts, botched drug deals, and wild violence from the safety of your living room TV...because if it was regular-reality where you live, I doubt it’d be as “entertaining”! :p

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

You’ve basically described & captured MV in the proverbial nutshell, right there! :dance2: That’s one of (if not the) biggest fascinating aspects of the show, that instantly draws you in...a wild, but captivating fantasy-world that you wished “was”, but “isn’t.”

I love watching the show every couple years for several sorts of entertainment (colors, fashion, buildings & architecture, music, cars, etc...). But, there’s nothing wrong with the Midwest, a job, and a car (even if it’s not a Ferrari or vintage Cadillac). ;) That’s more than a lot have. 

Besides, it’s much more fun to “watch” murders, car bombings, shootouts, botched drug deals, and wild violence from the safety of your living room TV...because if it was regular-reality where you live, I doubt it’d be as “entertaining”! :p

Very true, you've gotta be grateful but MV to me is the ultimate fantasy! I could do without the violence though, lol

Yeah once I pick this baby up on Blu-Ray, there goes the rest of my summer :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

Very true, you've gotta be grateful but MV to me is the ultimate fantasy! I could do without the violence though, lol

Yeah once I pick this baby up on Blu-Ray, there goes the rest of my summer :)

Absolutely! There are several Blu-ray sets available (from different companies & countries), but whichever set you chose, you can’t do better than Blu-ray! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

i first thought that the girl was a victim that she was under influence. and a forumer here, sadly i can't find back the post, told me that he thought i was wrong that she was totally conscious of her acts. I recently rewatched the episode, and i think that yes in fact she is totally accomplice, and conscious of the gravity of what she's doing. proof when she tells her associate 'please do not shoot him in the face'

i also noticed an interesting point. Zito backed up Crockett in a way we can say he probably saved his life. which without realizing it, adds to Zito dimension. even though, the scene is not perfectly made. i mean an assault rifle would have been much more appropriate than an handgun from such distance

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

yes in fact she is totally accomplice, and conscious of the gravity of what she's doing. proof when she tells her associate 'please do not shoot him in the face'

If Crockett had the slightest remaining doubt about her, he wouldn't have put the shades back on in response to all her cajoling.

More proof comes when less than a minute after trying to keep her hooks in him and kissing him goodbye, she's already cuddling/groping one of the arresting officers, looking out for her next ticket/victim.  She and Charlie were perfectly suited to each other; that's why she's dismayed she lost him.  It's not grief.

There is in fact a tiny frame of foreshadowing right at the beginning -- when the ice maneuver apparently didn't work, you can see Callie flouncing away with a real look of anger on her face.    Anyone with any degree of innocence would have just looked puzzled, or disappointed, or afraid of what her abusive husband might do.   No reason to be angry except that this sap didn't comply as easily as all the other ones do.

She is truly scary, diagnosis-worthy bad news.  Just a more feminine Danielle.  Apparently he finally learned his lesson or we would have gotten another sociopathic French chick.

Edited by NeonHumidity
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

i first thought that the girl was a victim that she was under influence. and a forumer here, sadly i can't find back the post, told me that he thought i was wrong that she was totally conscious of her acts. I recently rewatched the episode, and i think that yes in fact she is totally accomplice, and conscious of the gravity of what she's doing. proof when she tells her associate 'please do not shoot him in the face'

i also noticed an interesting point. Zito backed up Crockett in a way we can say he probably saved his life. which without realizing it, adds to Zito dimension. even though, the scene is not perfectly made. i mean an assault rifle would have been much more appropriate than an handgun from such distance

Callie definitely knew what she was doing!  She was not a victim. She pretended to be one for Crockett…but she was actually the manipulator herself! She was a sociopath…beyond a femme-fatale! :eek: 

There was no conscience or care to what she was doing…she enjoyed conning these guys, then having them killed. I think she got-off more on the “power” over them, even over the money she might con out of them. At first you think Charlie is in charge & controlling Callie…but it’s actually the opposite!

Callie was in control…she manipulated & got Charlie to do what she wanted. She basically decided what happened when & when it was time to finally gave whatever guy killed. Even Charlie beating her up, so she’d have bruises to show Crockett, was her idea—not Charlie’s!

At some point she’d of eventually tired of Charlie as well, and probably would have had him killed some way too. She was more than willing to go with Crockett with no question at the end, when she realized Sonny had survived & Charlie was dead—and before she realized Crockett was a cop.

Zito backing Crockett up at the sand quarry was planned…but still kinda cool. Gave Zito a chance to get in on some of the action. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

There's more proof of who she is in her "Men are my job... well, one man, anyway" speech.  To supply a guy with whatever he thinks he wants... to supposedly do his bidding and control him at the same time.  She's talking about Charlie (it's probably why their names are so similar).  She's talking about all her victims.  It's why Crockett instinctively reacts so badly when he realizes it doesn't matter who the guy is, even if he can't figure out why.

She's a nasty serial killer, and all the pretty pouting and sexy fanservice in the world doesn't change that.  There's a very good chance she ended up doing life at Raiford, assuming she didn't find someone else in the legal system to manipulate, and ain't no way she was conning Sonny to get her back out!

Edited by NeonHumidity
  • Like 1