Episode #34 "Definitely Miami"

Ferrariman

Godley and Creme - Six Degrees of SeparationI haven't kept it secret that this was my favorite episode of the complete series, even though you can't take a bunch of them and say that you can compare them all stylistically, i.e., I wouldn't try and sit and argue with someone that scenes from this ep are better than the famous Phil Collins scenes. Anyway, out with it. For no special reason, I was looking up the group "

" tonight and found their bio. Very cool and surprising when I found out that
joined up with them in the early 90s: http://www.starpulse.com/Music/Art_of_Noise,_The/Biography/By the way, with regard to YouTube, and the rest of the 80s stuff I can find on the 'net, I have NO IDEA how it got there. With 4.5+ billion people on the planet, that's an astronomical potential amount of research on every obscure (or not) band out there... people must have a lot of time, html and recording skills - I surely don't. I remember when I found the China Crisis tribute page one day... this guy had followed China Crisis to tons of concerts back in the day, with posters, lapel pins and the works, he could've opened their museum... my thoughts on Def Miami are just grains of sand, sand in the Vice universe.

• 5 months later...

This is one of my favorites from 2nd season...as well as one of my favorites from the series!The plot including the intense heat of Miami, the mezmorizing colors of the ocean, beach front hotels, Ted Nugent etc...all were superb--but the "star" of the episode was the sexy but deadly femme fatale Arielle Dombasie (Callie)! Whoa...dang!!! :happy:The music was pretty cool too. But, I also like this episode because it's another one that (only in the background this time) shows the old Blue Waters Hotel--more showcased in "The Maze" and "French Twist."But, the plot and how it was carried out, as well as the performances by all, was awesome!! :thumbsup: But, what I want to know is...was the sand pit Charlie Basset (Nugent) was using to bury his "suckers" in their cars abandoned, or was it still being used? :confused: I would think it was abandoned since he really didn't bury the cars that deep...and workers would eventually begin to notice "ghost" piles of sand showing up over night. But...if it was abandoned where did Basset get the bulldozer? One of those weird "quirks" I guess you're not supposed to think about. ;)Anyway, everything combined made this episode one of the series' best--not THE best, but still one of the most memorable! I gave it a 9! :clap:

• 2 months later...

Great episode, but the subplot with the witness wasn't as strong as the s/l with Callie IMH0.That's what stopped me from giving it a 10.8/10

• 11 months later...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eBLveddSfM&feature=related

This is "Definitely" my favorite ep as well with the Callie/Charlie subplot, the great ocean shots and scenes, the driving scene with the Daytona on the quarry road, and the music, not just some great Hammer music but Nugent at the beginning and Godley and Creme at the end. Good lines by Crockett at the pool and before the meet with Charlie.And who could forget the ice cold glare of Castillo to the Fed after Rojas is shot. Play this ep probably more than any, with cold drink in hand and the sound system very loud. And Callie is still my favorite bad girl. ;)

Yes but my idea of a bad girl is that she is really good... :);)

Yes. She is a really good bad girl [ATTACH=CONFIG]4467[/ATTACH](Sorry for my French)

post-1120-13892963749636_thumb.gif

Yes. She is a really good bad girl [ATTACH=CONFIG]4467[/ATTACH](Sorry for my French)

Hey what's with the hatchett? My poor Calie. Nothing wrong with a good bad girl I think. :p

• 1 month later...

If I must awake someone's interest on VICE I will show him/her Definitely Miami!!!:happy::happy::clap::clap:All elements which I love are represented here: fantastic, gorgeous style and design, extremely cool music (Jan's Definitely Miami and Cry by Godley & Creme of course!!!:radio::radio:) and inventive dialogues (for example when Sonny and Rico sit at the pool and discuss about women - Sonny, lascivious observing Callie: "Don't worry, Rico. I'm imune!" :D:D):happy::glossy:I especially like that we truly feel the heat in this episode. In summer I can identify with it and in winter I have desire for it!:DFuthermore there are these wonderful pictures of beach, pools, pastell clothes and nice women - absolutely great!!!:clap:Concerning the plot, the two different strands don't bother me, although I don't need the Sergio-Clemente-plot necessarily. Glossary is right when it notices that it's unusual that the two strands don't cross, but otherwise this is realistic.Definitely Miami shows that men are completely blinded when they see a good-looking woman. They do everything for them - but unfortunately they often get exploited.:pSonny's sight at the end on the beach speaks volumes...Arielle Dombasle as Callie does an awesome job as seductive girl. She perfectly fits in VICE.Ted Nugent is also very good. I like his charakter as crazy man without conscience.This episode offers one of the best songs of the series (and the 80s): Cry by Godley & Creme.:radio:It excellently describes what happened (Castillo stands in front of Joe Dalva; Sonny shoots at Bassett).Director Rob Cohen creates a marvelous style, including pastel colours and interior design which is a feast for the eyes.:happy:I erroneously selected 9 points, but now I've decided that Definitely Miami must get 10!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

One of the best episodes in season 2. I love how they have two cases in this episode and for once Crockett and Tubbs have to go their own way. But what really shines here is that the great atmosphere is sustained from the intro to the end. There is great scenery and camera work all over this episode and I have to say that Ted Nugent and Albert Hall are great guests to have.And like someone already said - this episode really has that Miami vacation feeling. The pool scene is the actual vacation and Crockett standing alone at the beach in the end has that the day of the vacation feeling. It also must be mentioned that this was directed by Rob Cohen who also happened to direct Evan.10/10

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

but the "star" of the episode was the sexy but deadly femme fatale Arielle Dombasie (Callie)! Whoa...dang!!! :happy:The music was pretty cool too. But, I also like this episode because it's another one that (only in the background this time) shows the old Blue Waters Hotel--more showcased in "The Maze" and "French Twist."But, the plot and how it was carried out, as well as the performances by all, was awesome!! :thumbsup: But, what I want to know is...was the sand pit Charlie Basset (Nugent) was using to bury his "suckers" in their cars abandoned, or was it still being used? :confused: I would think it was abandoned since he really didn't bury the cars that deep...and workers would eventually begin to notice "ghost" piles of sand showing up over night. But...if it was abandoned where did Basset get the bulldozer? One of those weird "quirks" I guess you're not supposed to think about. ;)Anyway, everything combined made this episode one of the series' best--not THE best, but still one of the most memorable! I gave it a 9! :clap:

This was my original review and rating of this episode. Not much has changed...man I still love this one!! :thumbsup: I watched it again last night, and after watching some others on the same disc I'll watch it again tonight! :clap:This one is "Definitely Miami Vice"! :D

One thing I forgot to add with my posts right above this...is that I found one little scene between Crockett and Cally ironic. They are out on the beach and Cally is giving her fake sob-story about her abusive husband to Crockett. He then says: "We all get into freefall, Cally. You just have to ride it out." Was Crockett unknowingly already having a premonition for the end of the show? :eek::):p

One thing I forgot to add with my posts right above this...is that I found one little scene between Crockett and Cally ironic. They are out on the beach and Cally is giving her fake sob-story about her abusive husband to Crockett. He then says: "We all get into freefall' date=' Cally. You just have to ride it out." Was Crockett unknowingly already having a premonition for the end of the show? :eek::):p[/quote']Ha funny - good points :D

I thought it was funny too :) , and ironic. But, sadly Crockett did not follow his own advice to Cally at the end. In "Freefall" he and Tubbs don't ride-it-out...they take off and leave us hanging. :evil:

• 2 years later...

One of the best episodes in season 2. I love how they have two cases in this episode and for once Crockett and Tubbs have to go their own way. But what really shines here is that the great atmosphere is sustained from the intro to the end. There is great scenery and camera work all over this episode and I have to say that Ted Nugent and Albert Hall are great guests to have.And like someone already said - this episode really has that Miami vacation feeling. The pool scene is the actual vacation and Crockett standing alone at the beach in the end has that the day of the vacation feeling. It also must be mentioned that this was directed by Rob Cohen who also happened to direct Evan.10/10

I couldn't have put it better. It's an aesthetic delight all the way through. An ideal, far-off 80s vacation encapsulated in one episode. If anyone asks me what Miami Vice was all about, I just play them the final scene: the chopper landing on the beach, Crockett walking away down the beach.

It's a great episode, definitely one of my favorites.  It was always great to see Crockett romantically involved with another character but you knew something was going to happen to her... :) !  I am especially enthralled when Sonny takes Callie to the beach house, I was never really sure exactly what went on in there...LOL!   :p  I agree with many posts here, the music and scenes are just flat outstanding and the 2 story lines were what keeps it moving.  Love this episode!  9/10.  

OK, another episode that makes me love MIAMI vice! The sand, the blue-green sea, the blue sky, the beachfront hotel, the pool, the heat, Callie in a wet bottled-water t-shirt, the music.......it all makes for an enjoyable episode! A couple strange things. Where did Ted Nugent hide the bulldozer that buried the cars?? Who shot Maria, after she stabbed her brother, was it one of the cops or a hit man?? Sonny is a fool for a good looking chic and Rico tried to warn him. I like this one and give it a 9

It was the same weird-haircut guy we see driving away from the hotel with the errand-boy that meets C&T at the pool, so obviously he is connected with Clemente as one of his goons or a hired hit-man.  

^ wow...it was really that guy?  I did not know that....cool!  Learn something new everyday.   :cool:

Thx SB!  

If you look closely at the shooter up on the tower, there is a brief silhouette of the skinny Mohawk-haired guy...same one who careens away from the front of the hotel in the early scene.  I've watched this ep a million times as it's my favorite. ;)

• Like 2

I'm going to have to watch this episode again so I can see this, TY!  

I can tell I need to be more observant while watching to keep up with some of you guys..... :)

• Like 1

Not a big fan of the episode.

Comes across like 2 different scripts that had good potential story lines, but cobbled together because each one on their own couldn’t fill an entire show or neither script outline was developed.

One of the best!  To me, this is not just "Definitely Miami"... but "Definitely Miami Vice"!  This episode is flawless to me!  I love the use of Godley & Creme's "Cry" and Jan Hammer's original score.  I sometimes listen to the extended remix of "Cry" on loop... Such a good song!

I love the symbolism, too.  Like Callie making the sand castles at the end, like mini sand mounds hiding the cars.

10/10

• Like 2

One of the best!  To me, this is not just "Definitely Miami"... but "Definitely Miami Vice"!  This episode is flawless to me!  I love the use of Godley & Creme's "Cry" and Jan Hammer's original score.  I sometimes listen to the extended remix of "Cry" on loop... Such a good song!

I love the symbolism, too.  Like Callie making the sand castles at the end, like mini sand mounds hiding the cars.

10/10

Well said. Granted as some have pointed out the 2 storylines were not intersecting but to me it made the ep more interesting.  

Good comment about the sand castles as to me it was like an admission of guilt in hiding the bodies of the men she had seduced and then killed. Much symbolism, and the ending scene with Crockett saying absolutely nothing to Callie as she tried to make him her new Charlie. As if he had been down this road one too many times before with femme fatales and knew where it was going, and he wanted no part of it.