Episode 55 - Baby Blues - S3

DanJ

With assistance from Airtommy, I was able to scope out a scene from this episode. It is when Crockett, Tubbs, Switek and Zito rush to capture Howard Famiglia, only to find him hanging in a closet which is rigged with explosives set to go off when the closet door is opened.In chronological order and time stamped as close as I can to where they are in the episode, here are both the original MV screen captures (Left) and how the area looks today (Right).I did my best to recreate the scenes from memory since I forgot to take my screen capture printouts with me this time around. Still, y'all should be able to match up elements of the scenes in these then/now shots:Click On All Pictures To View LargerEingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild24:52 Ocean Drive, Just South Of 10th Street, Looking West From Lummus Park - The Breakwater Hotel is in the left background. Note the building in the center background, and the stairs on the upper floors. In my picture those stairs are obscured by new landscaping but the topmost should be visible. The Breakwater, at the time I took this picture, is under heavy renovation.Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild34:29 7th Street Looking East Toward Washington Avenue - My picture isn't lined up quite right because I had to stand in middle of the road, meaning I had to wait for traffic to clear. Also, as mentioned above, I did this from memory so the camera angle isn't exactly the same. Still, most of the elements of the MV shot are visible in my picture. Can anyone make out the name of the hotel in the upper left, which today is called Web Date?Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild34:54 Northeast Corner, 7th Street & Meridian Avenue, Looking EasEingefügtes Bildt - Because of Deco District preservation ordinances, buildings cannot be torn down. That doesn't mean they can't be restored or refurbished, however. Note that when Switek & Zito ran past this building there were doors to the apartments from the sidewalk. Today those doorways have been filled in and landscaped. Also, the One-Way street sign is gone now.Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild34:56 Main Entrance, Looking West Toward Meridian Avenue - While Switek & Zito rush to cover the back, Crockett & Tubbs rush the front of the building. The window in the upper left is the same, as well as the buildings on the opposite corner and across the street.Eingefügtes Bild http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/DanFoto/Miami%20Vice/th_3509.jpg35:09 Back Alley - Once again what used to be a doorway has been closed up and landscaped. Note, however, the telephone pole to the right of Switek. It's the same pole, right down to the bell placque!There are plenty of locations yet to be sussed out in this episode. The numerous houses of the families with the adopted babies are of particular interest, especially the house of one Steven Demarco (Any relation to Vinnie Demarco?), played by Stanley Tucci, perhaps better known to us as the despicable Mosca.

• Like 1

here is the list of all locations of this episode:Armando Tapanes Farm, 15902 NW 122 Ave, Miami (Colombian scenes in the teaser), Opa Locka airstrip (airstrip scenes), „Waldorf Towers“, 860 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach (body of Angela Mitchell is found/exterior, dinner scenes), 9th Street/Ocean Drive, Miami Beach (beach scenes), Wolfberg/Alvarez&Associates 5960 SW 57th Ave, Miami (social security, consulate and Famiglia´s office), 6001 SW 116St (Kaplan house, Angelas bedroom/interior), 701 Meridian Ave Apt15/16, Miami Beach (Borges apartment), 6301 Pinetree Dr, Miami Beach (House of DeMarco and Neville). The hospital scenes and the explosion scene were filmed in Greenwich studios with PMT´s double Ernie Robinson being burned on his feet and hospitalized.Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Tom, thanks for the info. You are part of the location super sleuth club for sure, pal! Geez now I'm gonna hafta go out and get pictures of as many of the places you hepped us to as possible (Starting with the Demarco house which was high on my list of this ep's locations to track down.)! Okay lemme see now, what do I have to shuffle around on my calendar to make time for all of this...Say, in a couple of weeks it looks like a bunch of us will be getting together down here in sunny Ma-ya-ma - care to join us, Tom?

Tom' date=' thanks for the info. You are part of the location super sleuth club for sure, pal! Geez now I'm gonna hafta go out and get pictures of as many of the places you hepped us to as possible (Starting with the Demarco house which was high on my list of this ep's locations to track down.)! Okay lemme see now, what do I have to shuffle around on my calendar to make time for all of this...Say, in a couple of weeks it looks like a bunch of us will be getting together down here in sunny Ma-ya-ma - care to join us, Tom?[/quote']Thanks Dan!I´d love to meet you guys in Miami and come back to my old hunting grounds. Unfortunately, I live in Austria right now and this isn´t really just around the corner. My next US trip will be most likely in October and I hope I can make a stop-over in Miami. Anyway, a location round trip with you folks would be awesome! In the meantime, we have hundreds of known locations to visit!

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

The Waldorf Towers on Ocean Dr was used extensively in this episode - exterior shots primarily. The dinner scene in the restaurant - is this now the lobby or was their another area where this was shot - looked like a bar :D

• 1 year later...

Watched this episode last nite - not one of the best - but some good Ocean Drive locations seen.

Here's another view of the "Columbian" farm in the teaser at Nw159th St/122nd Ave , Miami- just north of Opa Locka airstrip .  :fireworks:

http://binged.it/1tNa8Ll

Edited by Matt5

• 1 year later...

Here is some behind the scenes footage from this ep starting at about 2:53 of video B00170 of the Wolfson Archives.  It shows Gina & Trudy at Demarco's house at 6301 Pinetree Drive:

http://www.wolfsonarchives.info/view/?id=28061&accession=B00170&status=DIGITIZED&wc_no=B00170&search_term=b00170&fileid=B00170.mp4

At the beginningGina is wearing an outfit (blue shirt, black belt, and black purse) which she wore in "When Irish Eyes Are Crying" and "Walk Alone", but not in "Baby Blues".  Also, they falsely call this the "5th episode of the upcoming season", when it is actually the 9th episode.  Both of these misdirections threw me off but I finally tracked down the episode!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Not the best episode - but a great shot of Ocean Drive in 1986 as the Testarossa drives northbound on Ocean Drive to the Waldorf Towers ( now Room Mate) you see down to The Colony Hotel and beyond!!:dance2::dance2:

On 9/7/2015 at 10:01 PM, airtommy said:

Here is some behind the scenes footage from this ep starting at about 2:53 of video B00170 of the Wolfson Archives.  It shows Gina & Trudy at Demarco's house at 6301 Pinetree Drive:

http://www.wolfsonarchives.info/view/?id=28061&accession=B00170&status=DIGITIZED&wc_no=B00170&search_term=b00170&fileid=B00170.mp4

At the beginningGina is wearing an outfit (blue shirt, black belt, and black purse) which she wore in "When Irish Eyes Are Crying" and "Walk Alone", but not in "Baby Blues".  Also, they falsely call this the "5th episode of the upcoming season", when it is actually the 9th episode.  Both of these misdirections threw me off but I finally tracked down the episode!

miami vice wiki shows that it was actually filmed 5th. much like season 2 episodes in the first half of season 3 were broadcast out of order

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just confirming the picture I took this week as the basement/ lower level of The Waldorf Towers Hotel at 860 Ocean Drive where this restaurant scene was filmed. Obviously when this was filmed in the Summer of 1986 it had the “Miami Vice” Season 3 color paint job.

254707FF-21D8-4E3C-B062-962F547293DE.jpeg

53668BBC-17E2-42C2-A331-6A8161A4D4E8.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

As @C Glidestill has one scene as unknown on his site I wanted to circle back to that detail.

The daily production reports clearly state that Neville´s house (the family they ask before the De Marcos) was also filmed at 6301 Pinetree Drive, the De Marco house (where Stanley Tucci opened the door).

As this house was massively remodelled after 1986 it is hard to pinpoint exactly the Neville scene which was filmed at a side entrance with a young boy hiding behind his mother´s back. But there is very interesting old footage from Wolfson Archives that show what the house looked like back then, before the new north wing was added.

I assume the Neville scene side entrance was right (to the south) of the main entrance, as the vegetation and the facade details in the background indicate.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-07 um 23.18.48.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-07 um 23.17.16.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-08 um 14.34.07.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-08 um 14.34.40.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-08 um 14.35.42.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-08 um 14.37.02.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-08 um 14.37.44.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-08 um 14.52.44.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-08 um 14.52.55.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-26 um 23.21.58.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2