Episode #33 "Phil The Shill"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...

An enjoyably upbeat episode with some genuinely funny moments.What made me laugh was when this episode was shown on the British Satellite tv station "Men and motors" a few years back, and they took out the dialogue where Phil says to Izzy. "You must take me for a right Wanker, son". Obviously it's not as offensive to say this in the States as it's an unfamiliar word, but over here it's quite strong for tv (for anyone who doesn't know, the word is the British version of "Jerk off"). What made it all the more funny was Izzy cluelessly replying "Well a right Wanker who's got no furniture, Mang?"I thought the party scene was entertaining, with some good music.The funniest scene in my opinion was when Phil was freaking out on tv at the end, pretending to be a tv Evangelist.Not one of my favourite episodes but entertaining none the less. 7 out of 10.

• Like 1

Guest neworder

Phil The Shill is a decent, light hearted episode that proved that sometimes, comedy worked on Miami Vice. That said it isn't hilariously funny but it's very enjoyable. Phil Collins plays his character well and there are good performances all round from all the main crew and supporting cast. Lots of bright vibrant colours in the house, very nice house with lovely views out to the sea, if only I lived there...! Izzie was fun and well played. Hammer's music is on top form from the serious Black Mercedes to the upbeat music played everywhere else. Back on .org I rated this 10/10 citing that it was one of the best episodes. Even though I still enjoy watching this episode, this viewing felt less special. It's very enjoyable but I don't think it deserves my top rating any more. Something to note at the end, Phil runs away from his car then next scene we see him he is back in it and driving away, he must have run round in a circle.....??? Bit unsual. Plus from where Switek/Zito/Crockett and Tubbs were staking out the boat towards the beginning when Switek says 'i knew that guy was dirty', from that angle there was no way he could see the car Phil was in because it was behind the hotel. Few pickey issues but noteworthy I thought.Overall 9/10, enjoyable episode but felt a little less special than last time I viewed.

Now we've come to one of my favorite episodes. I give it a 10 rating right from the start. It has everything I enjoy in Miami Vice : Humor, beautiful Miami scenes, color, the whole cast involved in some way, Florida party atmosphere & cool interaction by Burnett & Cooper. The rigged game show is a blast, but I really feel bad for Stan, since this was his big chance to make some good money from his knowlege of Elvis. Phil's house is what I can only dream of having. Check out his front door when he opens to Izzy! The view, the space, the pool, the ramp going right on to the beach. Love it! Izzy's outfits were cool, although I wouldn't wear anything as loud as them! The pink tux, white ruffled shirt & black & white shoes looked good on him- real Florida pastel cool. Izzy did a good job of decorating the bare house, now Phil could feel like he's in Florida. LOL I liked the pool party... Izzy can plan one for me! C & T put on a cool- tough personna when they met the party-goers/ buyers, especially when Sonny laid the gun on the arm of the chair. One thing that was odd at the amusement park, when Rivers opened the exploding briefcase, all the rides started operating..... the ferris wheel, whip etc. Did the cops pull a big on switch to confuse the dealers? The coup de gras was Stan imitating Elvis & shooting Phil on the TV screen & Larry saying, "What are you doing, Stan" Yeah, this is one of my all-time top MV favorites!

One of my favorite with a celebrity guest star. Izzy the decorator with one business card, the scene on the boat where Stan says, "Now for the good part.", Stan shooting the television set, classic Miami Vice.:thumbsup:

10/10Good, entertaining story showing a British crook living it large in Miami!There isn't much they could have done better for a 45 minute episode.One of the best episodes and one anyone looking to introduce another to MV should recommend.You can't help but want some kind of sequel...

My review from March 2006This is another one of my favorite episodes. Like others say it has everything, music style, party, satire, the whole OCB gang involved, and Burnett and Cooper acting tough. By satire I mean a comment on the time: The Rat Race game – People have been calling the daily grind, to get to the top, a rat race for quite a while, and this game kind of illustrated it beautifully,. This was also the time in America where the obstacle game challenges were going on. We had American Gladiators, (the final challenge), and Double Dare for the kids (the running through obstacle course complete with a pool of Jello or pudding. It also seemed to represent just where Stan and Phil were doing in this episode. Running a rat race to get some money. As for Tubbs taking a long time planting the bug into the car,. . As Sonny said “…. this is not my style” meaning creating a diversion for the driver so Tubbs could plant the bug in the car.) Yeah it looked like Tubbs was enjoying it, but it also looked like he was having a hard time doing it, and not very well after all the driver eventually finds it while just cleaning the car. He wasn’t looking for bugs, he was just doing routine cleaning because he was bored while River’s girl was ‘playing’. He said to his boss “she stayed and played so I did some cleaning of the car…” or words to that effect. Sonny picked the fight, but I bet he was motivated more when the big guy spat on his beloved Daytona although during some of that fight it didn’t even look like he was trying very hard to hit the bigger guy. I love Sonny’s reaction when he finds out that Stan and Larry weren’t really sick, and were on TV on a game show! “I’ll kill the worm” LOL. Castillo was cool, he didn’t get showy angry, he just calmly dealt out the punishment (double shifts) and docked Larry and Stan for a day’s pay! Then went about the normal business and didn’t bring it up again. Sonny’s satisfaction was mean, but under the circumstances I guess you can’t blame him. Note the distinct way each handles their disgusted feelings. Sonny never did quite get over it in this episode. I got the feeling that Crockett was fuming throughout the episode and was keeping himself from decking Sweitek! Every chance he got he goaded Stan until even at the end When Castillo tells Stan the case is closed. Stan says “Don’t tell me he’s going to walk.” Sonny snidely replies he didn’t he drove. Sonny nearly slams the car door shut on Stan’s fingers! He yells at Stan every chance he gets! At Stan’s comment “Here comes the good part” when Rivers is having Phil beat up, and threatening him, Sonny just turns around in the seat and glares at him. Moral: Don’t cross Burnett or Crockett! I love Izzy in this, and I just wonder how Burnett and Cooper would have gotten invited to that party if Izzy hadn’t been put on assignment by Sweitek. They were still trying to figure out a way to connect to Rivers and his girlfriend when Izzy showed up in their surveillance. According to the oft repeated phrase 18 months, they must have been trying to bag this guy for 18 months at least. I did love that house, but the funny thing is the back stairs to the beach reminded me of my aunt’s old house on the hill overlooking Lake Decatur. They had stone steps leading down to the shore of the lake though The music was interesting in this. Jan Hammer’s Cool Running for Izzy just kind of fits him or Noogie. Phil’s Rat Race music – It fit and set up the episode nicely. He was out for what he could get and puts every one through their paces to get ahead. Pick it up and put it in you pocket or somebody else will – Nice song to play while Phil has pocketed 80,000 of the prize money and is spending it on clothes, car, car phones, houses and watches & Pearls. Also sets the tone for the comment on this episode. Rock all Day and Roll all night – was a nice party piece that fit the kind of party he was throwing. Knock on Wood- I’m not sure how this exactly fits (I’m used to the disco version by Ami Stewart), but it slowed things down enough for better hearing of the conversation in the back ground. I just love it when Crockett and Tubbs are being Burnett and Cooper and trying to set-up somebody. Was that the St. Vitus in the back ground of the scene where it showed Sonny and Rico in the Scarab doing surveillance, and where River’s boat was? It certainly looked like it. Sarah looked to be a player like Phil. She may have been happy with Rivers but she wasn’t above looking for an opportunity for extra presents and connections. Also notice her reaction when Rivers has the two men hanging from the rafters shot, she just walks away worried about going dancing after attending a movie! She was cool as ice while Rivers was having his guy work Phil over, also when she pulled the gun on Phil and told the big guy she’d drive. Someone mentioned it, but I loved Sonny’s and Rico’s attitude toward the party guests wanting to buy party favors. They aren't exactly choirboys - Neither are we - pull gun put on arm of chair in plain site. It was a nice distinction after the almost friendly attitude Sonny was showing toward Phil when he was playfully telling him the charges and what he had won. I think Sonny was even reading a comic while they were waiting for the 'guests/investors'. I’d love to know how Sarah and Phil hooked up again (not why) He drove away at the beginning of the gunfight, and she slipped away, I think she escaped through some kind of ride before it was turned on, but Phil was definitely alone when he drove out of the amusement park. I rate this episode a 10. It’s another episode I can sit down and watch anytime and enjoy. 6/9/2009 - I still agree with what I said three years ago. I can still sit down and watch this episode any time and enjoy it as much as I did the first time I saw it. The music and plot still resonates with me, and I still don't see Sara in the car when Phil drives out. I stand by my rating of 10

Agreed, great review Nancy. I certainly could not add any more, except to say I give the episode an 8.Inspired your name, huh Shill? I'm trying to figure out if my name has any relation to MV, but I guess not :thumbsdown: .

One of my all time favourites. And one of the reasons I became a fan at an early age. This is classic Miami. The scenery the whole gang in the episode, I just love it. 9/10

Agreed' date=' great review Nancy. I certainly could not add any more, except to say I give the episode an 8.Inspired your name, huh Shill? I'm trying to figure out if my name has any relation to MV, but I guess not :thumbsdown: .[/quote']Sure it does! Most of the bad guys were "richie rich"!This one's a classic. One of the best of S2, easily. 9/10 for me.

Another season two classic! Phil Collins is a mix of weasel and comedy, Kyra Sedgewyck who plays Brenda Lee on The Closer makes an appearance as a gangsters girlfriend, and Swaitek shows of his knowledge for Elvis, also a great story, definitely a 9.

Feel sorry for StanI really did feel sorry for Stan. Here he was ahead, sure he was going to win and knew he really had won except for the dirty tricks pulled on him. I looked at that audience and it seemed to me that everyone except Larry was really glad when Stan lost and Joe won. I did feel that Stan was over enthusiastic, was showing off, and was a bit snide about it. Did you notice his expression when Joe answered the question about Graceland? He was positively smirking and somewhat condescending. I'm sure the Audience saw Stan's losing as his very deserved come uppance!

10/10Good' date=' entertaining story showing a British crook living it large in Miami!There isn't much they could have done better for a 45 minute episode.One of the best episodes and one anyone looking to introduce another to MV should recommend.You can't help but want some kind of sequel...[/quote']You always wonder if they had sequels in mind. Like Phil Collins instead of Brian Denehey as Bill Bob Proctor. Maynard always got away. I'm sure there are a few others I can't think of right now...

This ep was a big let down for me. I've seen it 2 or 3 times over the last few months and I haven't changed my opinion. Sure there's plenty of Vice style and themes in this one but it lacks the killer edge that other eps worthy of a 10 out of 10 would have.If I lined this ep up against the likes of the Pilot or Mirror Image, I know what I'd rather watch. Maybe once again it's just a question of personal taste...I think for me I just can't take MV too seriously unless it has a darker edge to it - and this just didn't have enough of that for me.Amazed that the word 'wanker' was translated as 'twit' in this one - I always thought it had far more sordid connotations!To be fair to all the other eps I've rated I can't give this more than a 7 out of 10. Season 2 has produced far better than this.

This ep was a big let down for me. I've seen it 2 or 3 times over the last few months and I haven't changed my opinion. Sure there's plenty of Vice style and themes in this one but it lacks the killer edge that other eps worthy of a 10 out of 10 would have.If I lined this ep up against the likes of the Pilot or Mirror Image' date=' I know what I'd rather watch. Maybe once again it's just a question of personal taste...I think for me I just can't take MV too seriously unless it has a darker edge to it - and this just didn't have enough of that for me.Amazed that the word 'wanker' was translated as 'twit' in this one - I always thought it had far more sordid connotations!To be fair to all the other eps I've rated I can't give this more than a 7 out of 10. Season 2 has produced far better than this.[/quote']I'm surprised you feel that way. I thought it was very entertaining and one I can watch several times. Darker MV is good since Vice is generally serious business. But.....this had a good balance between seriousness and a little light-heartedness. Vice-cop life cannot just be serious. There will be lighter moments too, especially when you get a British wheeler dealer in town!

I'm surprised you feel that way. I thought it was very entertaining and one I can watch several times. Darker MV is good since Vice is generally serious business. But.....this had a good balance between seriousness and a little light-heartedness. Vice-cop life cannot just be serious. There will be lighter moments too' date=' especially when you get a British wheeler dealer in town![/quote']I do enjoy a bit of humour too in MV but I think I prefer it when it's perhaps less 'slapstick', for want of a better term. Humour tends to be a more personal matter of taste than drama I think. I just don't like too much of the type found in this one I guess. There are other lines and scenes and even characters throughout many other eps of MV that I find hilarious... just not this one.

This episode has enough to merit an 8 from my vote. Mostly for the comic content though. Nonetheless an enjoyable ep. Phil Collins seem to fit in well also.

You really can't go wrong with anything that has Phil Collins in it. This was not a serious episode, but every now and then Miami Vice needed to have an episode that has some comic relief. Izzy was hilarious and he managed to get a fairly decent woman in spite of himself. The scene of him dancing with her even after that party has long been over is great. Phil Collins did a good job of playing a con man. You got to love the 80's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Really good episode. I like Phil in it. Music is great and Jan Hammer's Score is great. The really end of the episode is funny, when Stan sees Phil on TV and shoots the TV and Larry asks: "Stan, what are you doing?"10/10And I also found a funny thing, well, it's not funny, but I just found out that a girl at Phil's party is wearing the same dress what Candy is wearing in Golden Triangle.Eingefügtes Bild

10/10And I also found a funny thing, well, it's not funny, but I just found out that a girl at Phil's party is wearing the same dress what Candy is wearing in Golden Triangle.Eingefügtes Bild

Great Eye Kristina!!!!Even I missed out on that detail. Great Job!!!!Maria D.