Episode #33 "Phil The Shill"

Ferrariman

Went through season 1 in summer 2014 and saw a couple of episodes from season 2 around the same time too, and as of now I am onto the rest of season 2 and I have to say I am a bit surprised (not in a good way) at how poor many of the episodes early on has been. The Prodigal SonOut Where the Buses Don't Run, Bushido and Bought and Paid For are all classic episodes, but out of the first 11, only 4 of them are what I consider to be really great episodes, those that I can watch over and over again. Sadly the rest are often very mediocre and forgettable. Some just down right bad with no real nerve or tension, just boring and uncreative fillers. 

Compared to season 1, for me season 2 has been a big letdown. Phil The Shill, Junk Love and The Dutch Oven sticks out as very poor episodes. 

Phil The Shill is one I will probably never watch again. I like Phil Collins, not as an actor but his music. The episode had some fun moments, but thats it. The end scene with Phil doing his religious talkshow was very similar to what he did with Genesis and their music video Jesus He Knows Me (1991)

I end up with a kind 4/10

I know that Definitely Miami is next up and that one is on a whole other level compared to duds such as Phil the Shill and Back in the World

• Confused 1

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know who this actress is?  Very pretty lady!  I kind of have a thing for short-haired girls (so does Sonny, seemingly).  Obviously Phil thought she was attractive, too!

philtheshill.jpg

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Probably just a lucky extra

Yes very pretty - just a model extra I would think - wasnt she also seen in another episode in the party scene in "Rites of Passage" the Year earlier?:thumbsup:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I think you're right! When Crockett gives his "trick knee" excuse, or whatever. 

yes - that is her - she whispers in his ear and he says in a humorous tone something like "I Cant do that my trick knee or knee goes out on me " - very amusing! :thumbsup: That "Rites of Passage" scene is reminiscent of the "Cuba Libre" teaser scene when Crockett chats with the "school" girl. "Where did you learn to talk like that ..high school?!" - " I dont know Ill tell you get there" 

Beautiful girl in "Rites of Passage"/"Phil The Shill"  but likely a model extra. 

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Thanks, pals!  I think that is the same girl!  She had longer hair then which also looked very nice on her!  I'll have to post a screen shot later...

So many beautiful ladies in the 80s! :happy:

Edited by AndrewRemington

2 hours ago, AzVice said:

they should have had a running gag with some of the same people at all the parties in miami :)

That would have been fun!  I always like the party scenes!

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

BeAutiful !

Definitely!  =)

• 1 month later...

I absolutely love this one. Lot of fun.

Big fan of Phil Collins. I agree with ViceFanMan. It would've been a riot to see him and Sarah come back. Imagine if the couple in Amen..Send Money was them.

Love the scenery and Hammer's score.

Great to see Izzy again. MANNY?!

I like the scene with C and T undercover with the buyers at Phil's place.

The ending with Switek shooting the TV was great.

Only thing i dont like was the comedian who played the Rat Race contestant.

9/10

• Like 1

On 5/9/2017 at 0:55 PM, Remington said:

I absolutely love this one. Lot of fun.

Big fan of Phil Collins. I agree with ViceFanMan. It would've been a riot to see him and Sarah come back. Imagine if the couple in Amen..Send Money was them.

Love the scenery and Hammer's score.

Great to see Izzy again. MANNY?!

I like the scene with C and T undercover with the buyers at Phil's place.

The ending with Switek shooting the TV was great.

Only thing i dont like was the comedian who played the Rat Race contestant.

9/10

Love Phil Collins...hearing his music I always think of MV, even if it's a song that wasn't featured on the show. Lol!

But yeah, I would have loved it if him and Sarah would have returned...but no-go. I also hoped that Glenn Frey's character of Jimmy would have returned at some point too, but again no. 

I also have never been able to find out who played Manny?? ?( He's never been credited and I don't think anyone's been able to find out. It would be awesome if suddenly he showed up on the site! 

But Phil the Shill had awesome cinematography, music, even humor, etc... It was also a look into how the rich but naieve thought they could "play" in the cocaine world, but we're still out of their league no matter how much $ they had. :blind:

There used to be a fat, rude, and definitely crooked realtor named Phil in my town. I always referred to him as Phil the Shill, from this episode. :p

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

I've been getting up real early for some reason. Needed a way to spend my morning today so me and my roommate decided to Vice it with this episode. Still one of my favorites from S2. Only problem is that I have Life Is A Rat Race playing in my head on repeat lol.

Edited by Remington

2 hours ago, Remington said:

I've been getting up real early for some reason. Needed a way to spend my morning today so me and my roommate decided to Vice it with this episode. Still one of my favorites from S2. Only problem is that I have Life Is A Rat Race playing in my head on repeat lol.

Great episode - pleased you enjoyed!  :xmas:

Funny that you mention that song.  I found myself actually singing that song after watching the episode for the first time.  Just don't tell anyone...

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Just watched Phil the Shill again and I consider this to be another one of those episodes that defines Miami Vice, like Definitely Miami. I don't mean that it's one of the greatest episodes ever--although I do like it--but that it has all the elements that made Miami Vice special.

First off, a special guest star in Phil Collins. Second, a focus on the materialism and lavish lifestyles of the gold coast in the 80s. Third, the dark side of the drug trade. We've got a shoot out in a neat location, a Lamborghini making a guest appearance, a fun party scene, and Izzy at his best. The episode also feels like a 'team' episode in that Switek & Zito have major rolls without pushing Crockett & Tubbs to the sideline. Castillo doesn't do much but has an impact when he's on screen, and at least Gina and Trudy get to plant some bugs. The story of a con man getting in over his head is sort of fun (something Cows of October would try to duplicate two years later with considerably worse results).

Ironically, I found the music for the episode weak except for the Jan Hammer stuff (Black Mercedes is a cool, haunting melody). Then there's the suspension of disbelief that the guy who just conned Switek happens to bump into the girl friend of the drug dealer our heroes are tracking. Well, there have been less believable leaps in other episodes so I suppose I can live with this one.  Also an editing glitch: they plant the bug in the opening Act but then mention that the killing of the two drug mules in the warehouse should be enough to get them a warrant to tap Rivers' car. Looks like someone screwed up in the editing room. 

Rivers is a realistic villain but different from most of the other dealers we've seen; he's far more old school thug than glitzy Miami cocaine cowboy. I'm okay with that. He's the perfect counter to Phil's smooth car salesman-type. There's no BS with Rivers... there's nothing but BS with Phil. 

Overall, I really like Phil the Shill. Your opinion may vary, of course. 

• Like 1

Ironically I was thinking about this episode this morning, as a Phil Collins song came on the radio on the way to work. :radio: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Ironically I was thinking about this episode this morning, as a Phil Collins song came on the radio on the way to work. :radio: :thumbsup:

In Season 1 and 2 Phil Collins was such a great factor in Miami Vice :dance2::radio:

• Like 1

Am 19.4.2018 um 16:30 schrieb Campion:

Also an editing glitch: they plant the bug in the opening Act but then mention that the killing of the two drug mules in the warehouse should be enough to get them a warrant to tap Rivers' car. Looks like someone screwed up in the editing room. 

This is due to massive last minute script changes resulting in swapping scenes between the opening credits and the teaser. Also scenes with C&T watching Switek on TV were shot only 3 days before airing, thus editors were stressed out to catch up. Read CGlides comments on this topic on his location site for this episode for details.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

This is one of my favorites, probably because I was a huge Phil Collins/Genesis fan in the late 80's.  This whole episode encapsulates the 80's for me.  I was just talking with my 14 year old son about the decade after watching Stranger Things 3 and telling him that I WAS those kids because I was about their age at that time.  He said he wished he could experience that time and then went right back to checking out his smartphone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

This is one of my favorites, probably because I was a huge Phil Collins/Genesis fan in the late 80's.  This whole episode encapsulates the 80's for me.  I was just talking with my 14 year old son about the decade after watching Stranger Things 3 and telling him that I WAS those kids because I was about their age at that time.  He said he wished he could experience that time and then went right back to checking out his smartphone.

I like that, IA-SteveB!

Edited by mjcmmv

I like this one for Izzy mostly. He was spectacular and really stole just about every scene he was in. "Manny! MANNY!" or "'Emingway. Women love 'Emingway."

• Like 4