Episode #32 "Back In The World"

Ferrariman

Just now, Robbie C. said:

Sonny was also in Vietnam toward the end of the conflict (at least in terms of large US unit actions). I think that factored in as well.

Oh, for sure; Sonny was there in the 1970's, as ace cryptographer DannyAllred put it, "Pleiku, Class of 1971; graduation was a bitch" (I liked Danny, I recently borrow a bit from his "Cut of the new Peter Gabriel album" line for a poem:-).

1 hour ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Oh, I'd like to add 'The Savage' (I find the alternative title to the episode, 'Duty and Honor', to be okay but rather generic) as another good Vice episode with a Vietnam plotline (felt bad for the Veterans in that episode as well).

They also changed the title of "Back in the World." I think I mentioned earlier the working title was "Show Me a Hero."

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, “Duty and Honor” is the title they ultimately went with for some reason, but I think “The Savage” was the original ‘working’/script title. Savage would have been better in my opinion, too...but regardless of the title, it’s still a very dark & amazing episode—for Castillo and the others involved! :thumbsup:

I agree, great episode, even it was titled 'Bao Dat':p.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Oh, for sure; Sonny was there in the 1970's, as ace cryptographer DannyAllred put it, "Pleiku, Class of 1971; graduation was a bitch" (I liked Danny, I recently borrow a bit from his "Cut of the new Peter Gabriel album" line for a poem:-).

Sonny would have been there in mid- to late 1969 and then again in '70-'71 for two distinct tours. He would have been passing through Pleiku rather than stationed there because of his branch of service.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

They also changed the title of "Back in the World." I think I mentioned earlier the working title was "Show Me a Hero."

I didn't know that; I definitely like 'Back in the World' better.

• Like 2

Just now, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I agree, great episode, even it was titled 'Bao Dat':p.

That would have been hilarious! :) But, definitely an awesome episode!

Just now, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I didn't know that; I definitely like 'Back in the World' better.

Me too...seems to fit the episode and Stone character better. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robbie C. said:

Sonny would have been there in mid- to late 1969 and then again in '70-'71 for two distinct tours. He would have been passing through Pleiku rather than stationed there because of his branch of service.

That's a cool fact, thanks for the info.

On 7/28/2019 at 5:30 AM, Dadrian said:

Hey anybody ever notice Angel from “One-Eyed Jack” at the pool table? I certainly never have until tonight. 

4E522A82-4B87-427F-98A4-125937BB2900.jpeg

The guy with the beard I think was in WIEAC as one of  Eddie Kaye's soldiers.

1 hour ago, wolfie1996 said:

Me too.

I agree. Show Me a Hero really doesn't line up with the story as presented. It might have worked with an earlier script, but certainly not with what we got.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2021 at 9:47 AM, RedDragon86 said:

The guy with the beard I think was in WIEAC as one of  Eddie Kaye's soldiers.

I never noticed him either; cool! What we know from Angel, if he blinks, he understands!

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2021 at 10:50 AM, Robbie C. said:

I agree. Show Me a Hero really doesn't line up with the story as presented. It might have worked with an earlier script, but certainly not with what we got.

I agree, and I was thinking that the 'Duty and Honor' title would've worked well with Trudy's 'The Dutch Oven' episode, since she had to choose between love & her duty (on that, I feel that David laid a bad rap on her, saying she had no soul or honor because she helped bust Adonis. Look, I like Giancarlo Esposito too, but his Adonis character, to quote a line from Gina, was a conehead. If he was going to be that way, then Trudy didn't need 'em).

'Show Me a Hero' definitely sounds like a working title, or an episode from "The Greatest American Hero":).

42 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I agree, and I was thinking that the 'Duty and Honor' title would've worked well with Trudy's 'The Dutch Oven' episode, since she had to choose between love & her duty

And in "When Irish Eyes are Crying" Gina had to choose between love and duty. Seems to be a recurrend topic.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Footage of the evacuation of Saigon in 1975 begins this show.  I recognize some of these clips from their use in The Deer Hunter.  I wonder if a future TV show will start with footage of the abandonment of Kabul and its repercussions. 

Ira Stone can be a pill with all of his jive-hippie talk (notice it's contagious - Sonny starts using "man" after spending time with Ira!), but the ubiquitous Bob Balaban is always a favorite of mine.  Patti D'Arbanville had recently appeared earlier in 1985 in Real Genius as a sexy admin who, uh, collects geniuses.  Liddy is effective as Maynard - I think most of us here know all about his real-life shenanigans.  

If Glen Miller and other big-band groups exemplify the "sound" of World War II, The Doors have a similar function for Vietnam.  Makes me wonder if The Doors really were popular among the troops or it was more of retroactive association through later movies and TV shows.  For me, as a post-Vietnam War generation member, the association is locked in my mind.  

• Like 1

The Doors were to a degree, but there were also the Stones, the Beatles, a ton of Motown artists, The Byrds, Cream, Buffalo Springfield, and many more (Hendrix of course). "We Gotta Get Outa This Place" is almost universally cited as being a grunt "anthem" of sorts, and anyone who watched Tour of Duty will always associate the Stones' "Paint it Black" with Vietnam. It would also vary from year to year. Radio First Termer is a great snapshot into what was popular circa 1970-71-ish.

I suspect the Doors are often used because of licensing considerations (and they may have had more of an impact on production people than they did the troops...and of course there's the opening of Apocalypse Now that did more to cement the Doors' association with Vietnam than reality ever could).

Edited by Robbie C.
added stuff
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Footage of the evacuation of Saigon in 1975 begins this show.  I recognize some of these clips from their use in The Deer Hunter.  I wonder if a future TV show will start with footage of the abandonment of Kabul and its repercussions. 

Ira Stone can be a pill with all of his jive-hippie talk (notice it's contagious - Sonny starts using "man" after spending time with Ira!), but the ubiquitous Bob Balaban is always a favorite of mine.  Patti D'Arbanville had recently appeared earlier in 1985 in Real Genius as a sexy admin who, uh, collects geniuses.  Liddy is effective as Maynard - I think most of us here know all about his real-life shenanigans.  

If Glen Miller and other big-band groups exemplify the "sound" of World War II, The Doors have a similar function for Vietnam.  Makes me wonder if The Doors really were popular among the troops or it was more of retroactive association through later movies and TV shows.  For me, as a post-Vietnam War generation member, the association is locked in my mind.  

Very well stated, and the music is probably the most enjoyable aspect in this episode, for me! Although I don’t as much for the Ira Stone/Capt. Real Estate episodes, G. Gordon Liddy was always interesting in whatever role he played...as to me he was scandalous, sneaky, if not intriguing & fascinating in real life. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Very well stated, and the music is probably the most enjoyable aspect in this episode, for me! Although I don’t as much for the Ira Stone/Capt. Real Estate episodes, G. Gordon Liddy was always interesting in whatever role he played...as to me he was scandalous, sneaky, if not intriguing & fascinating in real life. ;)

I’ve probably said before, but as a youngster I couldn’t appreciate how great The Doors’ music was in this episode, but I do now for sure!

Hands down the best part of the episode for me for the past few years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

I’ve probably said before, but as a youngster I couldn’t appreciate how great The Doors’ music was in this episode, but I do now for sure!

Hands down the best part of the episode for me for the past few years. 

Amen! :thumbsup: :radio: