Episode #32 "Back In The World"

Ferrariman

How did Crockett know Stone would be alright with 2 bullets in the left side of his chest?

Not just that' date=' but if you look at the red stain on Stone's shirt, one of the bullets appears to have hit him directly in the heart, [b']at point blank range! By some miracle Stone survives. Yet later on, in "Stone's War", he dies after appearing to take only one bullet in the leg?!

P.S. Dakotah is the same actor/actress that was serial killing in "Love at First Sight" with Sonny using a dating service.

That's Somalian Supermodel Iman, and she's also David Bowie's wife!

WJust some thoughts Back In the World & recording times of MV & SVU

I liked Law&Order when they had Jerry Orbach on' date=' after he died they had Dennis Farina on and he was good but after that, the show went to hell in a handbasket, but I think Criminal Intent is the best of them all, especially with the new addition of Jeff Goldblum.[/quote']Well I'm still a big Law & Order fan but Special Victims Unit is my favorite (Mainly becasue the characters develop and the cast mainly stays the same with a few changes, not a revolving door like L&O)although Criminal Intent is getting better. Law & Order itself was better this year but I really miss Jerry Orbach also. But to be fair, I record Law & Order Special Victims Unit (until the DVDs come out) i've notice that as I edit the commercials out there's about 40 or 41 minutes left of the program not counting the theme song. When I was taping MV episodes there were 48 minutes left after no commercials. So Writers have a tougher job now days trying to get a well developed plot done in 40-42 minutes and they fail most of the time.Getting back to Back in the World. I probably like this story more than other people because I always like to read into it the Government comspiracies. I also remember literally being fed the Vietnam War scenes every night on Huntly-Brinkly (since that's the news that Daddy watched) I really can't think of any other group who could have brought back the feelings of the time as well as the Doors and I'm glad DJ used them. btw, I'm not particularly a Door fan, but when I saw this episode I had to order their greatest hits so I could get the songs. I also enjoy a plot that makes me have to think, develops the characters, and can have many interpretations because to some extent that's the way things really are and we are all different people coming from different experiences which shape our views.
  • Like 1

at point blank range! By some miracle Stone survives. Yet later on, in "Stone's War", he dies after appearing to take only one bullet in the leg?!

Even in "Stone's War" we don't actually see him get hit in the shootout. I think they were planning on doing one more with Stone and Maynard.

Even in "Stone's War" we don't actually see him get hit in the shootout. I think they were planning on doing one more with Stone and Maynard.

But he died in Crockett's arms after the shootout? Remember the "Story's got out right?" conversation. Don't think he would've have been able to come back from that. Even Papa Legba was dead by that point so he wouldn't have been around to resurrect him! ;)

I liked Law&Order when they had Jerry Orbach on' date=' after he died they had Dennis Farina on and he was good but after that, the show went to hell in a handbasket, but I think Criminal Intent is the best of them all, especially with the new addition of Jeff Goldblum.[/quote']I'll have to start watching Criminal Intent again...liked that best of all & I like Jeff Goldblum! :thumbsup:

When is C.I. on? I wanted to see Goldblume, but couldn't keep track of the time changes. Anyone remember seeing him in "Earth Girls Are Easy"? I bought the DVD for $5.00 at large-mart, great 80's music and clothes.

CI and EarthGirls are EasyCI is running new episodes every Sunday night at 9PM ET before In Plain Sight. the Nichols (Goldblum) & Wheeler episodes alternate with Goren & Eames episodes. The CI episodes seem to be rerun some at late night either 11PM or 12AM ET during the week although lately they've been rerunning Burn Notice (but I think that was mainly to catch up everybody for third season.) This Sunday I think is Goren and Eames, the next week should be Nichols & Wheeler.I think Geena Davis was in Earthgirls are easy, but I know Julie Brown (red head) was in EarthGirls are easy.As for Stone in Stone's War. The one bad guy who was shooting Stone slowly in the leg and non fatal areas, Before he dies shoots Stone fatally from a prone position. It kinds of shows it in blured motion if I remember right. Then comes the conversation about the story got out business and Stone dies. His glasses are broken if I remember correctly which I always thought was a nice touch then Sonny and Rico run out to try and catch Maynard but he flies away.

That was about the time Geena and Goldblume got married. Jim Carry was an alien also. Southern California looked a lot like Miami beach then in the movie, clothes, fashion, and the Art Deco buildings.Probably should be under things that bug you. When Maynard locks his radio on transmit.(1) Don't know if that is possible, and (2)they should have been watching sly old Maynards every move.One of the better shootout though, for the season.

I must learn "Lives in the Balance," the flute solo is fantastic! :radio: The words fit todays world.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only give this story a 5. It just didn't appeal very much to me. It had all the makings of an episode of M.A.S.H. years afterwards, except for being about Viet Nam instead of Korea, lol.

Great episode and the use of the Doors music really set the mood for the whole story and it's theme of the Vietnam War. The characater of Stone was believable, but annoying. He was really just a selfish little nerd. His wife was annoying too, so maybe that was the mutual attraction for them and why they got married. The charcter of Maynard was great. He is one of those villians you can't help but like. I am glad they addressed the plight of veterans from the Vietnam era. I was a teenager in high school during the 80's so I don't think a lot people my age at that time were aware of the treatment of vietnam veterans even though we were children in the mid 70's which was the tail end of the war. No matter what you think about the military, no veteran i.e. Korean, Vietnam or Gulf needs to be treated that way. I love the scene where Sonny and Rico are talking to Maynard's wife while she is practicing tennis. They walk off while she is in mid sentence and she turns to look at them and gets hit in the face with a tennis ball.

• 3 weeks later...

9/10Great episode. A bit better than the follow up. The dvd summary says they're looking for a General, but it's a Sgt. Interesting Liddy allowed himself to be such a bad guy too. Great Hammer music, and The Doors music works.Still amazed people can watch episodes in the first two seasons and give 5's. That's basically and F grade.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the choice of the Doors songs. For the most part, they are not the more poppy songs the doors did but rather some more obscure songs and along with some popular ones. The music goes perfectly especially the climatic scene. DJ does a great job in his directorial debut.

I will give it a 6. Stone is an interesting character, a bit too much the caricature of the annoying reporter (they're not all like that), and I found it kind of hard to believe that Sonny was good friends with the guy. They were just too different.Still, when Stone and Sonny are being attacked on the boat and Stone shouts "Incoming!" you get that sense from the writers that they had a good handle on the fact that the effects of the war -- even soldier terminologies -- never really leave you.I did not like Stone's wife. Hers was the typical estranged-wife-tells-off-ex-husband-while-not-letting-anyone-get-a-word-in scenario. I thought Stone's War was a better follow-up in Season 3, and if they needed to make Stone appear and die in just one episode, that one, and not Back in the World, would be it.

• 1 month later...
I will give it a 6. Stone is an interesting character' date=' a bit too much the caricature of the annoying reporter (they're not all like that), and I found it kind of hard to believe that Sonny was good friends with the guy. They were just too different.Still, when Stone and Sonny are being attacked on the boat and Stone shouts "Incoming!" you get that sense from the writers that they had a good handle on the fact that the effects of the war -- even soldier terminologies -- never really leave you.I did not like Stone's wife. Hers was the typical estranged-wife-tells-off-ex-husband-while-not-letting-anyone-get-a-word-in scenario. I thought Stone's War was a better follow-up in Season 3, and if they needed to make Stone appear and die in just one episode, that one, and not Back in the World, would be it.[/quote']Must agree, the ex-wife was a shrew and annoying.D' Arbanville clearly got that gig because she was DJ's current squeeze at the time.

• 10 months later...

:glossy:Again an excellent episode!!! :happy::happy::clap:For the first time the plot is squarely politicized and strongly criticizes the incidents in Vietnam - very gutsy!Moreover we experiences more about Sonny's background and his time in "Nam" and we get to know one of his friends there: Ira Stone.He's an unicum. On the one hand this guy is totally weird and crazy, but later on all his reproaches turn out to be true!:oAnd here comes G. Gordon Liddy as Maynard into play. He's a very powerful and overpowering rival and he is always one step ahead.:evil:Maynard isn't underexposed like other gangsters, in contrast he's intellectual and plans and organizes every step, but he completely underestimates Sonny...I love the chase-scene in the Glades, accompanied by My Eyes Have Seen You by The Doors!!:radio::clap:Sonny, Rico and Maynard weasel through the Glades being highly concentrated and paying heed to each noise. This is a perfect connection to Vietnam.:thumbsup:At the end Maynard escapes and this frustrates me (particularly he can escape in Stones War afresh!):evil:...Apart from that, the style is top-notch, especially the multitude of Art Déco-buildings!:happy:Music is good, but there could be at least one 80s song! For me VICE is a synonym for 80s, therefore I always want 80s songs!:)10 of 10 points!

• 5 months later...
Love the episode and Captain Real Estate. Is the episode perfect? No. Does it have issue? Yes. But do I think it is still a great Vice Episode? Yes. But the main reason for this post is I just found some interesting info. about the history of one of the locations used. The safe house at the end of the ep. and it's similar use in with MV. I posted this in the GE locations section but knowing not everyone is a location junkie like I am I figured I would post it here also because I think people would find it interesting.Interesting info I just learned from the National Park Service book: “Cold War in South Florida†about the safe house we see Captain Real Estate use at the end of the ep. Art immitating life, the real CIA connection.…Mrs. Linderman moved away (after her husband’s death) and donated the island to the University of Miami, which in turn leased it to the CIA for it’s training operations for the Bay of Pigs.It was used as by the C.I.A. as a safe house (imagine that) called the Pirate’s Lair and for maritime training operations. The safe house complex consisted of 4 houses dispersed on 3 acres of land, only one of which could be seen from the deep water canal. (Cpt. Real Estate's)The complex was used to teach Cuban exiles the V-20 boat, Boston Whaler type vessel and rubber rafts with silenced motors assault techniques and operations.The craft were specially rebuilt to CIA specifications by South Florida Boat yards. Some of which included reinforced hulls, armor plating, modified engines, electronic gear, and hardened points to mount automatic weapons.After the failed Bay of Pigs invasion the CIA is suspected of blowing up the main mansion on the island. Debris and beams flew all over the island after plastic explosives went off.Miami Vice and Manos films shot scenes there.I will update my location site shortly with this tidbit but you read it here first.