Episode #31 "Bought And Paid For"

Ferrariman

Miami Vice production is so good at this - The detail of Gina's cat not liking Arroyo's presence is so authentic. Ann Rule who knew Ted Bundy, the serial killer and a close friend tried to pet her dog but it growled or didn't want to know, almost bit him.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Miami Vice production is so good at this - The detail of Gina's cat not liking Arroyo's presence is so authentic. Ann Rule who knew Ted Bundy, the serial killer and a close friend, he tried to pet her dog but it growled or didn't want to know, almost bit him.

Production at this point in the show was top-notch! :clap: Animals lots of times can sense something wrong, or not quite right. However, some animals just aren’t comfortable around strangers and they’ll react as such. But, in all honesty I hadn’t really paid that much attention to Gina‘s cat’s reaction to Arroyo before...those are the kinds of details that truly make shows or movies really interesting! :thumbsup: I will have to watch this episode again soon, and focus more...cool detail! :D 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Production at this point in the show was top-notch! :clap: Animals lots of times can sense something wrong, or not quite right. However, some animals just aren’t comfortable around strangers and they’ll react as such. But, in all honesty I hadn’t really paid that much attention to Gina‘s cat’s reaction to Arroyo before...those are the kinds of details that truly make shows or movies really interesting! :thumbsup: I will have to watch this episode again soon, and focus more...cool detail! :D 

It must be a sixth sense sort of thing. 

I watched it last night and it still remains my favorite episode, I just love Sandra's emotional performance. It's so good from beginning to end.

I think it's in Michael Mann's top 10 Vice episodes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

It must be a sixth sense sort of thing. 

I watched it last night and it still remains my favorite episode, I just love Sandra's emotional performance. It's so good from beginning to end.

I think it's in Michael Mann's top 10 Vice episodes. 

Definitely one of the best episodes...realistic plot, heartfelt & emotional performances, we get to see Gina’s Mercury Cougar, and of course the famous Michael Mann “abrupt” ending! :thumbsup: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You really feel for Odette in this episode.  While this is a good episode, it is one of those that is sometimes hard to watch.  Great performances from everyone. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

You really feel for Odette in this episode.  While this is a good episode, it is one of those that is sometimes hard to watch.  Great performances from everyone. 

Agreed! I saw this episode the night it originally aired, and it was realistically shocking to me, at that time, that Odette did die! I kept expecting Gina & Crockett to save her, and eventually they’d end up in a big gun battle with Arroyo—and he would die. Well, we all know things didn’t end up that way. Both MV & “Magnum” were two shows in the 80s that didn’t always have a happy ending. They delved more into character-reality (for the time), and that’s one of the aspects that in my opinion, made those two shows “shine” compared to many others. :glossy:

(P.S. However, I’m still a sucker for the happy, Leave It to Beaver ending, lol! :p)

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A superb, amazing, although sad & tragic episode. But, one of the ‘cool’ aspects was Gina’s white 1971 Mercury Cougar Coupe Convertible! :cool: Love this car, and wish it would have been showcased more during the show! Beautiful lady...beautiful car!! :happy: D1836C1D-C56F-4818-9726-117B9F200CD1.png.d24c41914b9f600eff4f1e9e3a693bc2.png

Gina’s White 1971 Mercury Cougar Coupe Convertible.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I watched it again last night and I never fail to get a bit teary-eyed at Odette's death. Like "Evan" it is one of the most powerful episodes in the series, I mean the fact that a young girl gets raped twice in the space of a week or 2 at knifepoint and then kills herself say's it all.  

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I watched it again last night and I never fail to get a bit teary-eyed at Odette's death. Like "Evan" it is one of the most powerful episodes in the series, I mean the fact that a young girl gets raped twice in the space of a week or 2 at knifepoint and then kills herself say's it all.  

To me, this is more impactful & tragic than “Evan”…as the character of Evan brought about most of his own problems on himself—and tried to “spread” them around to everyone else, as well.

Odette was totally innocent, and did nothing to bring about or deserve what happened to her! ;( I remember watching this one when it originally aired…and it was unbelievably impactful on me as a child, as well as today as an adult. I love the ending, though…where Gina takes care of the situation once-and-for-all! ;)

(Note: It’s been mentioned before, but towards the end, where Gina confronts Arroyo at his mansion, portions of her wardrobe were her own personal items…including her sunglasses.) 

IMG_3772.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

To me, this is more impactful & tragic than “Evan”…as the character of Evan brought about most of his own problems on himself—and tried to “spread” them around to everyone else, as well.

Odette was totally innocent, and did nothing to bring about or deserve what happened to her! ;( I remember watching this one when it originally aired…and it was unbelievably impactful on me as a child, as well as today as an adult. I love the ending, though…where Gina takes care of the situation once-and-for-all! ;)

I agree 100%. Evan was also somewhat flawed in how it divorced itself from Crockett's background. This episode is far better, and does a better job of spreading performances around as well. It also provides some solid background for the decisive actions Gina takes in later cases.

• Like 1