Episode #30 "Bushido"

Ferrariman

15 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

I’m pretty sure this is the issue of Mad Magazine little Marty had in this episode. I don’t own this one, but I have quite a collection of old Mad’s.

The filming dates for “Bushido” are in October 1985, but this issue is for December. Seems odd to me. You can clearly see Rambo on the cover of the Mad he had.

C8AE93C9-D3EC-414C-A4F7-457C32FAB0A3.jpeg

Just great - Thankyou for sharing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Such a good episode. Strong 9/10 and one of the most memorable, as it is one of the few in the series which focus around Castillo

We get Castillo as "the main man"

Funny intro sequence

That "Castillo's theme" is very good, and Kate Bush's performance near the end is also very good

The house escape is so good, while played on Kate Bush's music

We get an emotional scene with Jack Gretsky

We see the KGB for the first time in the series (and only one)-- as a joke, if all the KGB was as lousy as those idiots, no wonder the USSR lost the Cold War.......... lol........

Some fine action when those lousy idiots come

That final standoff is so cool

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/3/2013 at 12:30 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Good episode for Castillo...bizarre past with him and Gretsky, and wild action with him going "lone-wolf" to help Gretsky's wife and son. However, for some reason this isn't my favorite Castillo-focused episode...I like the 2-part "Score” & “Golden Triangle" better. This one was somewhat sad and was more low-key with the music and color-scheme of the show. Maybe it's the storyline or something...it's just too out-there and didn't quite come together right. But, I did like the end where Crockett and Tubbs pop out from behind the trees and blow Surf away...while saying "Surfs up!" :thumbsup: Overall another chance for Castillo to shine...but still not a huge captivating one for me. I gave it a 7.

This was my original review. I still pretty much stand by it. The beginning of this one was awesome...with them all undercover at the beach (Gina’s bag-lady & Zito hidden under the sand were my favorites), followed by the sudden sabotage rip-off. 

But, once the character of Gretzky is introduced...then the story & plot kind of “fall”, or lag, or something. It just didn’t quite come together right. But, love the Deering estate as the filming location at the end!

This episode also includes a “Tubbs’ Caddy blooper” that I don’t know how many have ever noticed before? :p There were at least two 1964 Cadillac Deville convertibles (painted an “ocean blue” type color for the MV color-scheme) used in the show as Tubbs’ car. One Caddy had an all black steering wheel...while the other had a white one with a couple black “pieces” on the sides—I assume for style. Anyway, in this episode when Crockett & Tubbs are suddenly attacked on the cove while talking to that cop, it was the white steering wheel one. Then when Surf takes the Caddy, and also later when he’s driving it around the Deering grounds, it’s suddenly the black steering wheel one. 

This isn’t my favorite Castillo episode, and not as captivating for me for the season as a whole, either...but it had its moments & good beginning & filming locations. I originally gave it a 7. I still stand by that. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

Another MV episode that grows with me overtime. Didn't like it first hand as there wasn't much C&T action going on. Yet it is a compelling story and another chapter in the Castillo/Golden triangle story-arc. Great job by EJO directing it. Really appreciate the story subtlety. 

Great intro sequence involving the whole gang, especially Zito buried in the sand :).  Some weird moments too. Was Tubbs practicing Karate moves during surveillance? The DEA agent Thompson turned out to be a joke, look at how they found him in the stall. Wasn't he some ex rambo/special forces guy, the best of the best? :D
I liked when Sonny yelled 'what the hell is going on here' with the camera on Thompson tied up pants down and Herrera's dead body in the next stall.

Next is all Castillo. Enjoyed every minute of it, from the first meeting with the CIA guys. I suppose he knew where to find them having worked for the Company before. And they knew him too. Loved the music cue while Gretsky surveillance photos were being presented.
Dean Stockwell was terrific in this episode, a MV worthy guest star.

The actor (Marc Macaulay) playing one of the KGB baddies killed by Castillo, looks like Micheal Ironside :).

Another weird moment for me was Surf driving Tubbs Caddie, feet maneuvering the steering wheel :). Loved the 'surf up pal' from DJ, what a great comeback by the duo. Marty has been heroic and brave, but after watching this episode after along time i forgot the later part. I was expecting Castillo to fight Surf hand to hand or sword to hand. Good to see C&T coming to the rescue anyway.

Why were metro dade tailing him? Was it because of the $500K lost during the drug bust he was getting back from Gretsky wife? Or were they asked by C&T so they could find him in case things went south?

Fair play to him for replacing the remaining money loss with his own pocket. Must have been worth a year of police lieutenant salary :).

Jokes aside, this is regarded as one of the best episodes of the whole series. I personally prefer the 'Golden Triangle', within the Castillo story-arc, but this deserves a solid 9.5!

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Another MV episode that grows with me overtime. Didn't like it first hand as there wasn't much C&T action going on. Yet it is a compelling story and another chapter in the Castillo/Golden triangle story-arc. Great job by EJO directing it. Really appreciate the story subtlety. 

Great intro sequence involving the whole gang, especially Zito buried in the sand :).  Some weird moments too. Was Tubbs practicing Karate moves during surveillance? The DEA agent Thompson turned out to be a joke, look at how they found him in the stall. Wasn't he some ex rambo/special forces guy, the best of the best? :D
I liked when Sonny yelled 'what the hell is going on here' with the camera on Thompson tied up pants down and Herrera's dead body in the next stall.

Next is all Castillo. Enjoyed every minute of it, from the first meeting with the CIA guys. I suppose he knew where to find them having worked for the Company before. And they knew him too. Loved the music cue while Gretsky surveillance photos were being presented.
Dean Stockwell was terrific in this episode, a MV worthy guest star.

The actor (Marc Macaulay) playing one of the KGB baddies killed by Castillo, looks like Micheal Ironside :).

Another weird moment for me was Surf driving Tubbs Caddie, feet maneuvering the steering wheel :). Loved the 'surf up pal' from DJ, what a great comeback by the duo. Marty has been heroic and brave, but after watching this episode after along time i forgot the later part. I was expecting Castillo to fight Surf hand to hand or sword to hand. Good to see C&T coming to the rescue anyway.

Why were metro dade tailing him? Was it because of the $500K lost during the drug bust he was getting back from Gretsky wife? Or were they asked by C&T so they could find him in case things went south?

Fair play to him for replacing the remaining money loss with his own pocket. Must have been worth a year of police lieutenant salary :).

Jokes aside, this is regarded as one of the best episodes of the whole series. I personally prefer the 'Golden Triangle', within the Castillo story-arc, but this deserves a solid 9.5!

Although this is a Castillo centered episode...it’s definitely not one of the series’ best. “Score”/“Golden Triangle” 2-parter was way better...and there were other ones, too that were better than this one! After the cool beginning...the rest seems to fall flat or something. Something just wasn’t quite there. 

Great episode.

Castillo's conflict between duty and friendship is clearly evident on his face...and that's saying something as he's a stoic character at the worst of times.

This episode was shot so well. Great direction and the music was perfect.

Castillo dancing around executing bad guys, the bad guy's head dropping the way it does and then Castillo running that poor shmuck through. It was shot so well that even though much of the violence is implied it felt pretty raw.

Sonny definitely gets the best line though with "Surf's up"

This is MV focused on the supporting actors done right.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Although this is a Castillo centered episode...it’s definitely not one of the series’ best. “Score”/“Golden Triangle” 2-parter was way better...and there were other ones, too that were better than this one! After the cool beginning...the rest seems to fall flat or something. Something just wasn’t quite there. 

I too prefer the 'golden triangle'. However, fans and critics general consensus on this episode is hugely positive. The only issue i have with 'Bushido' is Castillo a little "too over the top" in some scenes (the stealthy sword attack from above the ceiling on the KGB assassin).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

I too prefer the 'golden triangle'. However, fans and critics general consensus on this episode is hugely positive. The only issue i have with 'Bushido' is Castillo a little "too over the top" in some scenes (the stealthy sword attack from above the ceiling on the KGB assassin).

I agree...there are parts that are over-the-top, and I also felt like it was boring throughout the middle. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

and I also felt like it was boring throughout the middle. 

It really is. Another one that Jan Hammer saved the day for me. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I agree...there are parts that are over-the-top, and I also felt like it was boring throughout the middle. 

The middle part (Castillo securing Gretsky wife and child to Key Largo) was slower. Then it picked up again when the baddies in the 4x4 truck shot the uniform cop and C&T responded to fire, before the '77 MDPD Plymouth fury gets rammed into the ocean.

• Like 1

I love this episode. All of it. The middle part just seems kind of “get on with it” after the 100th time you’ve seen it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

It really is. Another one that Jan Hammer saved the day for me. :) 

Even Hammer couldn’t save it for me...it’s just not that great of an episode over all. Beginning and end are good, but the rest...

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

The middle part (Castillo securing Gretsky wife and child to Key Largo) was slower. Then it picked up again when the baddies in the 4x4 truck shot the uniform cop and C&T responded to fire, before the '77 MDPD Plymouth fury gets rammed into the ocean.

I agree... that’s where it finally picks up a little bit since the very beginning. That scene where the cop Fury is crashed into the ocean, is also a Tubb’s Caddy goof. When they’re attacked on the bluff with the cop, Tubbs’ Caddy has the all black steering wheel. Then when Surf takes it, and later when he’s driving it around the Deering estate grounds (with his feet), it’s suddenly the white steering wheel one. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I agree... that’s where it finally picks up a little bit since the very beginning. That scene where the cop Fury is crashed into the ocean, is also a Tubb’s Caddy goof. When they’re attacked on the bluff with the cop, Tubbs’ Caddy has the all black steering wheel. Then when Surf takes it, and later when he’s driving it around the Deering estate grounds (with his feet), it’s suddenly the white steering wheel one. 

Good catch! Surf driving the Caddy with his feet, that was pretty weird...:)...it takes some skill though. I'd love to see anyone trying to do that for real while driving a convertible through Ocean drive or Biscayne boulevard :D.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

This is a big, big favorite episode of mine. Castillo Mystique stories are always highlights.  We start with one of my favorite MV teasers.  An always welcome Bryan Ferry track, the mood of a sweltering hot night, the tracking shot where we keep discovering our Vice crew undercover in disguises and finally the bizarre conclusion to the scene.  It reminds me of a similar bathroom discovery from the film Blow Out, only what Sonny finds is a tad more comedic than what John Travolta has to come across! I'm not sure whether that was Dean Stockwell himself, Jack Gretsky in disguise, in this scene or a double.  

Jan Hammer's score is one of his best with its Russian and Japanese (shogun) flavors.  The scene between Olmos and Stockwell is mesmerizing.  Gretsky's poetic monologue is so good that part of it is in my quote.  The warm hug the normally stalwart Castillo gives to Gretsky is as much a shock to us as it is to Jack.  And then, seconds later, there is stark, sudden death.  

David Rasch is funny as the "totally awesome" surfer dude who is really a double agent.  I get Marina Oswald vibes from the Laura Gretsky character.  Was this intentional?  Kate Bush is another favorite singer and "Hello Earth" is a most unusual, but effective, choice at the climax.  

Edward James Olmos did a great job directing this entry, giving it a mysterious, evocative ambience.  The thick and ancient air, the Sergio Leone-like recounting of a story that has a bearing on our story, those estate trees and the surreal game of hiding behind them.  You have to let the atmosphere of this episode envelope you and sense its mysteries and echoes. 

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

I'm in the middle of binge-watching the entire series, and just finished "Bushido."  Can we all assume that Gretzky committed "suicide by cop," as he was dying of terminal cancer, and felt this would be an honorable way to go out?  I watched the scene a few times, and it's incomprehensible that Gretzky, a high-level, dangerous CIA agent, would have failed to hit Castillo with automatic weapon fire if that were his intent.  They were close, and Castillo didn't have time to properly react.  He only shot Gretzky dead, after all the bullets missed.  Not too hard to infer that Gretzky missed on purpose.

Also, not a proper review, but some general observations.  I liked the way that Castillo kept his cool when he was forced to kill Gretzky.  Edward James Olmos did a great job of directing the episode, which takes on a different character than previous episodes.  Bushido was entertaining; however, I did find the episode a bit slow.  For example, the scene in the car on the way to the safe house where Castillo is telling the late Gretzky's son Marty the story about the Shoguns and the Samurai is very hard to take.  Honestly, I zoned out briefly, and wasn't paying attention at all to the story, or the continuation of it when they were at the safe house.  If there was an intended allegory, forgive me for lacking the care to fight the boredom in order to pick it up. :)

As usual, great soundtrack by the virtuoso Jan Hammer, centered around "Russian Story."

Edited by dragon48
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, dragon48 said:

I'm in the middle of binge-watching the entire series, and just finished "Bushido."  Can we all assume that Gretzky committed "suicide by cop," as he was dying of terminal cancer, and felt this would be an honorable way to go out?  I watched the scene a few times, and it's incomprehensible that Gretzky, a high-level, dangerous CIA agent, would have failed to hit Castillo with automatic weapon fire if that were his intent.  They were close, and Castillo didn't have time to properly react.  He only shot Gretzky dead, after all the bullets missed.  Not too hard to infer that Gretzky missed on purpose.

I actually watched Bushido yesterday evening so it’s fresh in my mind. It was Gretzky’s plan all along to have Marty kill him. The man was dying and had little time left. Castillo was the only one he trusted to take care of his family, that’s why he came to Miami. 

Also, Gretzky knew if he asked Castillo for help, Castillo would indeed help him and his family. But Gretzky had already accepted his fate and knew he would only slow down their escape attempts. So Gretzky purposely pulled a gun on Castillo so he would retaliate which he did. 
Gretzky was a very smart man and played his cards accordingly to get what he needed. 
Overall, a great episode and yes it is a tad slow in places but it’s been a while since I had seen it so I loved every second. A small little highlight for Zito here in the ep with him coming up from the sand, great shot. 

• Like 2

I think it had more to do with Gretzky's warrior ethos as well. Not only did he want to die by the hand of a friend, he wanted to die by the hand of someone who was worthy and his equal. I think on some level Marty understood that, and maybe even appreciated it.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Was at the Deering estate today and the tide was really high, plus could barely tell the border between the sky and the water. There was some exhibit in the ballroom.

20231020_132925.thumb.jpg.60cb21fecae525b39a806e812d790f8f.jpg

20231020_132931.thumb.jpg.573df664757589d334c61eda35dd754a.jpg

20231020_133249.thumb.jpg.c0cf0fe4d555155cd995cb66e95e3ee9.jpg

20231020_133729.thumb.jpg.6fbab203c8b4666fe5fcf3e79b80325c.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2023 at 8:41 PM, Paul Veres said:

Was at the Deering estate today and the tide was really high, plus could barely tell the border between the sky and the water. There was some exhibit in the ballroom.

20231020_132925.thumb.jpg.60cb21fecae525b39a806e812d790f8f.jpg

20231020_132931.thumb.jpg.573df664757589d334c61eda35dd754a.jpg

20231020_133249.thumb.jpg.c0cf0fe4d555155cd995cb66e95e3ee9.jpg

20231020_133729.thumb.jpg.6fbab203c8b4666fe5fcf3e79b80325c.jpg

The tide is even higher today, covering the walking paths along the water (let me know if the video doesn't work).

Edited by Paul Veres
  • Like 2