Episode #30 "Bushido"

Ferrariman

I have to give this one a 9Theres a lot of plot holes and seemingly empty scenery, but the KGB Agent 'Surf' was cool, he was so quintessentially American he had to be a spy, he was just too 'stereotypical american' but I thought he was a cool badguy, easily one of my favoritesOverall a very good episode"They call me 'Surf', isnt that great?...Surf! I love it..."

• 9 months later...

Bushido belongs to my 10 favorite episodes of the whole show!!!:happy::happy::clap::clap: EJO as Director sets the pattern for history of film (and TV), exhausts the entire spectrum of VICE and drastically shows that VICE opens up a new era of TV - brilliant!!!:glossy: Bushido also differs from other episodes because there's no humour, no flashy and glamorous scenes, no focus on clothes. EJO attaches great importance to intensive and long-lasting dialogues, extensive close-ups, sober (partly Asian-furnished) rooms and comparatively hard and brutal action. The teaser and the ensuing 10 minutes already promises a special episode because a mysterious stranger bungels a seizure of a dealer, only to attract Castillo's attention! I really really adore the scene inside the OCB when Sonny quarrels with the DEA agent and when Castillo stares at the monitor, explaining who Gretsky is and Jan's Russian Story is playing - fantastic!!!:happy: The next impressive scene is when Castillo meets Gretsky in his Asian house and they have a long and profound conversation - typical VICE!!! Each sentence is pointed, deep going and Jan Hammer completes the thrilling atmosphere...:thumbsup: The last 20 minutes at the Deering Estate are top notch: first of all I love this extraordinary location. Empty, threateningly effective halls and Castillo's story about the Samurai.

Then Lara surprisingly stabs him and Surf stands outside the door. The last overwhelming scenes start: Lara tries to escape, Castillo hunts the killers (smooth like a panther) and Hello Earth by Kate Bush bestows goose pimples to me.:radio::clap: Then Castillo, Lara and her son try to hide behind big palms and Surf draws nearer - there's so much tension in these scenes! They lost their hiding place and everybody thinks life is over...:hot: ... but Sonny and Rico shoot at him and save them!!!:cool: EJO as Director is awesome, the mix of dialogues, tension and style is perfect! 10 of 10 points of course!

Whoa, a lot of perfect 10s in here! Good to see! I gave '8'. Sorry, no review today, just enjoyed the "reveals" about Castillo and lots of stoicism. And of course, a KGB agent named "SURF", gotta love it.

• 8 months later...

The first part of this episode is very tense (in a good way). Dean Stockwell is a great actor and he's perfect as Jack Gretsky. Too bad that he hasn't more screen time, but then again the shortness of his appearance just adds a little more mystic to this character. There's also some nice scenery in this episode.All in all this is probably my favourite Castillo episode. I probably should give this 9, but since this episode was directed by Edward James Olmos - I have to give 10.10/10

• 10 months later...

Good episode for Castillo...bizarre past with him and Gretsky, and wild action with him going "lone-wolf" to help Gretsky's wife and son.However, for some reason this isn't my favorite Castillo-focused episode...I like the 2-part "Golden Triangle" better. This one was somewhat sad and was more low-key with the music and color-scheme of the show. Maybe it's the storyline or something...it's just too out-there and didn't quite come together right. But, I did like the end where Crockett and Tubbs pop out from behind the trees and blow Surf away...while saying "Surfs up!" :) :thumbsup:Overall good plot, and another chance for Castillo to shine...but still not a huge captivating one for me. I gave it a 7.

• 2 months later...

What an awful episode.It's basically 45 minutes of Eddie Olmos mumbling into the camera for extended close ups. There's not enough substance, all the samurai/bushido stuff i bet was hokey even in 1985It's not all lost though, The opening is very good. I like the action scene where the car blows up and falls in the water, Oh and Surfs up pal.

Bushido, like other episodes, is quintessential 80s. Castillo (who represents the US) and Surf (representing the USSR) act out the Cold War conflict that did turn hot in Korea and Nam.

Good episode for Castillo...bizarre past with him and Gretsky' date=' and wild action with him going "lone-wolf" to help Gretsky's wife and son.However, for some reason this isn't my favorite Castillo-focused episode...I like the 2-part "Golden Triangle" better. This one was somewhat sad and was more low-key with the music and color-scheme of the show. Maybe it's the storyline or something...it's just too out-there and didn't quite come together right. But, I did like the end where Crockett and Tubbs pop out from behind the trees and blow Surf away...while saying "Surfs up!" :) :thumbsup:Overall good plot, and another chance for Castillo to shine...but still not a huge captivating one for me. I gave it a 7.[/quote']I still go by my original review/rating...not Castillo's best, nor one of my favorites of season 2. But, it's still got a few interesting aspects. Not the "strongest" but not the worst of the season or show. I still give it a 7.

• 2 years later...

Over two years since anyone chimed in on this one? I'm so thankful to have found this place to read and share thoughts and observations. As always, deepest appreciation for the reviews, positive, negative, everything in-between.  Watched it again last night, here's a few words. 

The opening scene is cinematic, classic, an epic flow only seen in films at the time, again the series delivers. Later, as Castillo identifies Gretsky at HQ, does anyone notice how he is mic'ed up so much, so loud that the viewer can here him swallow between lines? Powerful. As if we are right next to him. A subtle nuance that speaks volumes. Great background on Castillo here too, builds his character even more after the GT episodes.

The scene where he shoots Gretsky is one I didn't fully comprehend long ago, but once realized, outstanding. Rare to have what was initially thought to be a main character in plot killed so soon, more cutting edge classic MV. 

I love the ancient mansion, so beautifully filmed. Castillo stalking with the sword against the machine gun thugs, excellent. I remember back then in the mid 80's there was a popular pop culture vibe with martial arts, The American Ninja films, The TV show "The Master" (although that had no longevity) Regardless, it was fitting for the time, and holds up well today. Other positives from this episode: Spectacular car explosion, enough said. Based on my professional background I know flammable liquids a bit, and they were used to nice extent in this scene, and series.  DJ and PMT wardrobes are grand, as we have come to expect. Surf, final scenes, well done. The negatives: The mansion dialogue scenes with Laura, Marty and Castillo are uncomfortable at times, I understand the effort and dramatic intention but something was off, needed a more casual moment or two perhaps.  Great episode my friends, 8/10 P.S. Anyone remember Dean Stockwell from "Quantum Leap?"

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this episode!  I am always most drawn to the shows that build on the characters' backstories and relationships that have a history, so this could hardly miss.  

The opening scene was brilliant; Crockett and Tubbs doing night-vision surveillance of the beach as the rest of the squad performed undercover around the public restroom; everyone sweating (except maybe Zito, LOL).  When C&T enter the men's room with Gina to find their DEA contact tied up with his pants around his ankles, and the dealer (who they wanted to bust?) hanging upside down, dead, with the coke in the toilet, it's a scene that immediately made me wonder:  who else is in this game?  When Castillo finds out his old buddy--possibly now a KGB agent--Jack Gretsky is the prime suspect, I couldn't wait to find out more.

I always thought especially after Castillo told the Toshi story (Thoshi touched his neck, but his friend could not pull back in time) that Jack missed Castillo on purpose because he wanted to 'die honorably' and have Castillo do the honors. He was dying of cancer and was in great pain, he knew Castillo's character and trusted him to take care of his family. Jack presumably was an expert at all kinds of weapons including guns. Castillo told his squad that when he described Gretsky's profession and how dangerous he was.

Yes, I definitely think Gretsky purposely provoked his old friend to kill him, by going on the attack immediately after their emotional reunion and after he obtained Castillo's promise to look after his wife and son.  At that range, he couldn't possibly have missed Castillo unless he was trying to miss him--however, Castillo was taken by surprise and acted on instinct in shooting back.  Gretsky wanted to die before he became incapacitated by his cancer and unable to protect his family--and he knew if he could get his oldest friend to kill him, Castillo would keep his promise no matter what.  His statement was powerful:  "At the end of everything, they're what I always wanted anyway."  It was easy to see that Castillo agreed with him, although of course he didn't say so.  The music that played during their greeting and conversation was so poignant; beautiful. 

I would have liked to learn more about Erenderia!  If her character was ever developed more, I don't remember it.  Keeping fingers crossed she appears in another ep! 

Castilo's scene with Jack's widow and son was so very well-done.  Lara doesn't want to do anything until he tells her where Jack is.  When Castillo says, "Jack has gone ahead", she knows immediately what has happened, i.e. Jack is dead, and she finally tells little Marty to go upstairs and pack his things.  "Was he hurting long?"  "No."  It pains Castillo, but he tries to tell the truth--part of it, at least.  I think maybe at this time, he hasn't yet figured out what Jack was doing.  Castillo is reluctant to touch her, but she throws her arms around him.  When he asks if the people who had pursued them were KGB or Company, it's quite chilling when she replies, "We didn't know."  

The story Castillo tells Marty about the warrior Toshi and his friend is very, very touching, especially Toshi's sorrow at killing his friend.

All in all a brilliant episode, great acting, perfect amount of action, great drama in the script, directed by Edward James Olmos himself and the should-be iconic "Cadillac" scene where Surf rides up with his machine gun bring in like I said a brilliant episode, riveting and a more cinematic feel lead me to give it...Score: 10 out of 10

agent 47, I don't always agree with you, but I do this time :)

Marty has some classic lines throughout MV - one that gets me everytime here is "After they put me together again in Bangkok..." - after the beginning of a sentence like that it somehow doesn't matter how the sentence ends! (snipped) I agree with those who score it lower upon repeated viewings - but only slightly lower is justified IMO. And that's chiefly due to the plot inconsistencies (eg. C&T don't have any signs of their forced 'dip' in the water), and the slow movement as the story unfolds.  (snipped)high points included: Castillo's relationship with Jack - handled beautifully IMO by EJO but so much of his acting was understated and powerful in this show - right from his reviewing of the bust video through to his gentle smile with Jack as he listens to the professionalism of his old friend again; Castillo on the ceiling and in ninja mode for 5 minutes at the end; the beautiful shots of the palm trees from above as Castillo & Co. try to escape the Russian, and I also love Sonny's relationship with Castillo in this one - he has the closest relationship to Castillo in the show IMO and sometimes it really shows - it's almost instinctual when Sonny asks Castillo "What do you want me to do?". It is interesting (and so right IMO) that he doesn't say "What do you want us to do?" (as Tubbs is also pictured in this scene for example). Sonny tries to play the 'eyes and ears' again for Castillo in this ep on more than one occasion (eg "you need manpower") but he also respects Castillo's methods even when he knows that Castillo might have to bend the rules a little in this one (hence the discarded badge). I've always argued that these three (C&T and Castillo) are often portrayed as 'brothers' in this show but none more so than Sonny & Castillo.

It's hard to come up with something original after so many great comments, so I want to credit those who have already contributed such great insights.

I agree, too, with those who suggested Surf has lived in the US for many years.  In fact, since he displays no accent at all when speaking English, he may have been raised in the US--drawing from into the same mythology/ tradition as modern TV shows like "The Americans", with Keri Russell as a Russian spy.  All of the characters in this ep would have been born in the first few years after WWII ended, and grown up during the Cold War, with the backdrop of Communist Cuba 90 miles off the coast of Florida, so it's very much in keeping with the era.

(snipped) I respect and admire the character EJO helped flesh out in this episode. It's all put out there for us: Castillo's integrity, his loyalty to his "crew" whether it be Jack Gretsky or the Miami Vice squad; his dedication to seeing that justice is always served; his experience during the war that prepared him in a special way to deal with the challenge of a city gone mad with drugs and dealers prepared to make profits at any price. My husband always said Castillo was the real hero in Miami Vice (snipped)  Another thing I wondered is how Jack's wife figured out that Castillo killed her husband. She was an agent and she was smart but what did Castillo say that tipped her off? Was it intuition? Was it a clue in the story he told the boy?

Castillo really was a hero, in his quiet and understated way!  But I believe Crockett and Tubbs were heroes as well.  My take on how Jack's wife figured out Castillo killed her husband:  she overheard Castillo's story and immediately understood its meaning.  Why she then decided he was out to kill her and her son is more of a mystery.  Perhaps in her shock and grief she had reached the anger stage and blamed him for Jack's death.  We're never told if she knew he had cancer.  At the time she stabbed Castillo she was irrational?

(snipped)..The word 'guilt' seems to be being used heavily here as the core emotion running through Castillo as he progresses past Jack's death, but I don't think I've ever shared that thought.The way I saw it was Jack was basically in town to get Castillo to look after his family after he was gone due to the imminent arrival of his cancer-induced death - as he says himself earlier in the ep, he knew that Castillo could perform this task for him perhaps better than anyone else he knew, and certainly trusted.But the other reason was to die honourably at the hands of his old friend ('Bushido' or 'warrior' even) - these men clearly owed a life-debt to each other from at least one fight in a temple long ago on foreign shores. As Jack says to Castillo, 'we should have died then' - it was almost like some god-like force present in that temple had decided to spare their lives that day, but now Jack feels it only right that if that 'god-like' force had spared their lives that day, it was almost 'just' that that force should one day have a say in taking one or both of their lives in a temple again. And that day had finally arrived.If you look at it from this angle then guilt doesn't necessarily have to be the over-riding emotion that drives Castillo through this episode. For me it's not about guilt, but about honour and doing the 'right thing' by his old friend and 'brother warrior' Jack. There is so much evidence in other eps (like the Savage for example) that honour and duty are the central issues for Castillo in so much of his life. (snipped)

Rodriguezisdead, I definitely think you nailed it!  I do think it(killing Jack Gretsky) was accidental on Castillo's part at the time, since he didn't yet know Jack had incurable cancer.  But I believe he realized almost immediately that Jack wanted this death for reasons of his own and set it up like he did because he knew Castillo would take care of his family as he had promised.  Also agree with your statement about his "brother-warrior's wife" being sacred and untouchable.

(snipped) The opening scene is cinematic, classic, an epic flow only seen in films at the time, again the series delivers. Later, as Castillo identifies Gretsky at HQ, does anyone notice how he is mic'ed up so much, so loud that the viewer can here him swallow between lines? Powerful. As if we are right next to him. A subtle nuance that speaks volumes. Great background on Castillo here too, builds his character even more after the GT episodes.

The scene where he shoots Gretsky is one I didn't fully comprehend long ago, but once realized, outstanding. Rare to have what was initially thought to be a main character in plot killed so soon, more cutting edge classic MV. 

I love the ancient mansion, so beautifully filmed. Castillo stalking with the sword against the machine gun thugs, excellent. I remember back then in the mid 80's there was a popular pop culture vibe with martial arts, The American Ninja films, The TV show "The Master" (although that had no longevity) Regardless, it was fitting for the time, and holds up well today. 

Agree and as always I appreciate your comments related to the technical aspects that contribute to the overall effect of the episode--I never notice them properly because I don't have that eye, but they definitely add dimension.  You're right about the popularity of martial arts during the 80s--don't forget Bruce Lee, Kung Fu (1970s), The Karate Kid and even Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles--martial arts were hugely popular and the American military presence in the Far East enhanced the fascination with ancient Asian cultures.

Re: the great car explosion--I would like to have seen how C&T got out of the water and reached the mansion as quickly as they did!

Well, once again I've written and quoted enough to make a novel but just want to thank all of you who have commented before!  Love to read your thoughts :).

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Great Castillo ep. I like the "Oriental mysticism" around Castillo, first the Thai-thing in Golden Triangle and now this Japanese-thing with the Katana (or was that Wakizashi?). Though the end was quite desperate, Castillo bringing a sword to a gunfight when they're standing quite a distance apart. But then again, he had to.....

But what were all the accessories on Surf's M4-rifle? Looked like a television camera :)

• Like 1

But what were all the accessories on Surf's M4-rifle? Looked like a television camera :)

Surf's CAR-15, loved that weapon when I first saw it when first aired! It sported a 90 round Drum mag and early laser pointer sight! 

At the time it looked real sci-fi! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I know this one is far from being an unanimity, but to me television can get any better than that. My appreciation of this ep only got better over the years. When I first saw it, I was a teen and just could't understand it. Back then, the scene in which Castillo survives Gretsky attack and kills him seemed to be a fix to me. Only a couple of years later (still a teen) I could link metaphorically what happened there to the Toshi Samurai tale. Kate Bush's song works fantastically on the episode, and also some of my favorite Jan Hammer compositions were written for Bushido (I love that mellow piano sound he uses in this ep and in other eps like "Definitely Miami", and it took me years to learn that was a DX-7 preset). It's always surprising to see an open smile from Castillo, and that happens maybe 2-3 times in the whole series. Surprising is also the way he treats the kid (as if he were his own son) and the widow.

Anyway, is there some sort of 007 movies influence on this ep? I'm not thinking about copy, only some sort of inspiration.... The idea of a Russian woman spy sent to fall in love for an enemy agent wasn't there already in "From Russia With Love"? Also, Castillo up to the ceiling, both hands on the wall, both feet on the opposite wall, I'm pretty sure there's something like that on a Sean Connery James Bond movie (which one? I don't remember). Not to mention that Gretsky was that kind of agent we see on Bond movies: the one who sees everything, who's smarter than everybody, someone authorized to kill etc. I never thought of that before, it's just I'm re-watching Bond movies (after decades!) and here and there I find some parallels with Miami Vice.

Edited by ivoryjones

2 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

I know this one is far from being an unanimity, but to me television can get any better than that. My appreciation of this ep only got better over the years. When I first saw it, I was a teen and just could't understand it. Back then, the scene in which Castillo survives Gretsky attack and kills him seemed to be a fix to me. Only a couple of years later (still a teen) I could link metaphorically what happened there to the Toshi Samurai tale. Kate Bush's song works fantastically on the episode, and also some of my favorite Jan Hammer compositions were written for Bushido (I love that mellow piano sound he uses in this ep and in other eps like "Definitely Miami", and it took me years to learn that was a DX-7 preset). It's always surprising to see an open smile from Castillo, and that happens maybe 2-3 times in the whole series. Surprising is also the way he treats the kid (as if he were his own son) and the widow.

Anyway, is there some sort of 007 movies influence on this ep? I'm not thinking about copy, only some sort of inspiration.... The idea of a Russian woman spy sent to fall in love for an enemy agent wasn't there already in "From Russia With Love"? Also, Castillo up to the ceiling, both hands on the wall, both feet on the opposite wall, I'm pretty sure there's something like that on a Sean Connery James Bond movie (which one? I don't remember). Not to mention that Gretsky was that kind of agent we see on Bond movies: the one who sees everything, who's smarter than everybody, someone authorized to kill etc. I never thought of that before, it's just I'm re-watching Bond movies (after decades!) and here and there I find some parallels with Miami Vice.

Great post !  Castillo's most beaming smile was seen in "Gods Work" and "Like a Hurricane" 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just watched the episode again. The intro gotta be one of the best ones ever! All had perfect covers (partly because they did them before so it was routine) and Zito coming out of the Sand is just an amazing scene.Though maybe a bit unfitting for him because it's like special agents stuff. But I bet Castillo came up with that. xD
Bryan Ferry's music was perfect for the intro too....(not so much lyricswise however).

Also, pardon me for being ignorant or whatever: But why does Gretzy actually kill Marty? They are friends, they go back a long time, yeah Marty wants to book him (?) but surely they could have come to some agreement after talking more...why go to such an extreme? If Castillo would have been shot dead by him that would have made things a lot more problematic for him! So I don't quite understand....but maybe Im missing something?

Edited by Den Taylor

13 minutes ago, Den Taylor said:

Oh, and Castillo's Theme is awesome. Not as good as Golden Triangle but it does invoke the memory...

Yes its a great theme - it reappears in a few other episodes also later on as late as Season 4 I think :done:

1 hour ago, Den Taylor said:

Oh, and Castillo's Theme is awesome. Not as good as Golden Triangle but it does invoke the memory...

I'm trailing off a bit, but my favorite scene with that melody is in Payback when Crockett asks Castillo if he believed the allegations about the missing money. DJ, EJO, and JH are all really shining at that moment. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

Permit me to trail off too - when Zito's face emerges from the sand it reminded me of this: :D
Starts at 3:26 lol

Or watch the whole video, its a cool song after all ;-)
(And features Stan Ridgway who had his song "Pick it up (and put it in your pocket)" placed in the Phil Collins episode)

Edited by Den Taylor

Though obviously one could not say at all there's any "structural" relation between them, I do think there are some ideas that do link "Bushido" to 007 movies, especially the oldest ones.

Isn't the "They sent me to fall in love with him" (Laura Gretsky words, referring to Jack) a concept already there in 007's "From Russia With Love"? Even both girls were Russians... and spies...

Also, that FANTASTIC scene in which Castillo cling to that ceiling had a parallel on "Goldfinger" (Bond does pretty much the same). I know it has been done many times (for more examples, check here), but anyway...

Moreover, the idea of an agent of the highest level, who sees everything, the whole situation, and will beat everyone (that applies to Gretsky and no doubt to Castillo) is, at least to me, one of the charms of the old Bond movies. I like a lot when that kind of "chess players", who beats nearly everyone (including Crockett & Tubbs), except Castillo, appears on Miami Vice. I do find some of that also in "Heroes of the Revolution", as Klaus Herzog can do whatever he wants, and he's always a step ahead.

If there's something real about this, I don't think at all we're talking about "copying" 007, anything like that. To me it's more like some sort of inspiration, or "thematic visit", that lead to a very different and powerful and dramatic work (Bushido).