Episode #30 "Bushido"

Ferrariman

47 minutes ago, ivoryjones said:

Though obviously one could not say at all there's any "structural" relation between them, I do think there are some ideas that do link "Bushido" to 007 movies, especially the oldest ones.

Isn't the "They sent me to fall in love with him" (Laura Gretsky words, referring to Jack) a concept already there in 007's "From Russia With Love"? Even both girls were Russians... and spies...

Also, that FANTASTIC scene in which Castillo cling to that ceiling had a parallel on "Goldfinger" (Bond does pretty much the same). I know it has been done many times (for more examples, check here), but anyway...

Moreover, the idea of an agent of the highest level, who sees everything, the whole situation, and will beat everyone (that applies to Gretsky and no doubt to Castillo) is, at least to me, one of the charms of the old Bond movies. I like a lot when that kind of "chess players", who beats nearly everyone (including Crockett & Tubbs), except Castillo, appears on Miami Vice. I do find some of that also in "Heroes of the Revolution", as Klaus Herzog can do whatever he wants, and he's always a step ahead.

If there's something real about this, I don't think at all we're talking about "copying" 007, anything like that. To me it's more like some sort of inspiration, or "thematic visit", that lead to a very different and powerful and dramatic work (Bushido).

Great review ! very valid:done:

Absolutely one of the best episodes. And Edward James Olmos did a great job directing it and shedding a little more light on his character's past.

Jan Hammer's "Bushido" theme is one of the most haunting that he ever did. It's just a shame that it's tucked away on the Complete Collection as the second part of Russian Story, and that it's so different from the way it sounds in the episode. He should have devoted a separate track to it and called it Castillo's Theme, and kept it as close as possible to what it sounds like in the episode.

Maybe there's an interesting detail regarding the cast.

Laura Gretsky was played by Natasha Shneider (credited as Natasha Detente), who was Russian. Marty Gretsky, her son, was played by Rob Kapustin. Well, on imdb it reads that Natasha Shneider had as nickname Natasha Kapustin, and I've discovered on Wikipedia that she was once married to Serge Kapustin. So maybe Rob Kapustin was her son in real life?

4 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

Maybe there's an interesting detail regarding the cast.

Laura Gretsky was played by Natasha Shneider (credited as Natasha Detente), who was Russian. Marty Gretsky, her son, was played by Rob Kapustin. Well, on imdb it reads that Natasha Shneider had as nickname Natasha Kapustin, and I've discovered on Wikipedia that she was once married to Serge Kapustin. So maybe Rob Kapustin was her son in real life?

That's very interesting...I never made the connection about the boy in real life. I wonder if true.

I think she also played in a band and acted in the movie 2010, along with Bob Balaban, and sadly died way too early.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Zitat

Also, that FANTASTIC scene in which Castillo cling to that ceiling had a parallel on "Goldfinger" (Bond does pretty much the same). I know it has been done many times (for more examples, check here), but anyway...

Yeah, but the difference between Bond and Castillo is that Castillo does it while bleeding his guts out! He does the bad-ass version. xD

Zitat

Moreover, the idea of an agent of the highest level, who sees everything, the whole situation, and will beat everyone (that applies to Gretsky and no doubt to Castillo) is, at least to me, one of the charms of the old Bond movies. I like a lot when that kind of "chess players", who beats nearly everyone (including Crockett & Tubbs), except Castillo, appears on Miami Vice. I do find some of that also in "Heroes of the Revolution", as Klaus Herzog can do whatever he wants, and he's always a step ahead.

And that episode definitely has a Bond-Connection since the actor who played Herzog (Jeroen Krabbé) also played in the 87 Bond movie The Living Daylights (one of my fav 007 movies). He played a a KGB agent that was supposedely defecting - so the role was pretty similar. I'm wondering which came first - the MV episode or the Bond movie? Because whoever cast him surely did so because of the previous role!

Zitat

A great episode directed by Edward James Olmos.

Wow, I didn't realize that he directed this. No wonder Castillo comes off as the toughest guy on earth, haha.

Edited by Den Taylor

• 3 months later...

When I first saw S2 i was kinda let down by most episodes because they weren't exactly like S1.

Nowadays I enjoy this season every time I watch it.

Bushido is one of my favorites.

Once again it has kind of a Bond vibe so no complaints.

The opening left me in tears. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?

Love the finale.

EJO should've directed more.

9.5/10

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bushido is one of my fave eps..  As in most shows exemplifies why the first 3 seasons are the best of the whole series before it runs out of stories for numerous reasons.

Am 18.1.2017 um 00:18 schrieb Den Taylor:

He played a a KGB agent that was supposedely defecting - so the role was pretty similar. I'm wondering which came first - the MV episode or the Bond movie? 

Bond movie was first. It was shot around spring/summer 1986, the Vice episode was shot last of third season in March 1987.

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

Bond movie was first. It was shot around spring/summer 1986, the Vice episode was shot last of third season in March 1987.

I agree the Bond movie was first even though the Miami Vice episode aired first!

• 2 months later...
Am 22.6.2018 um 20:42 schrieb Matt5:

I agree the Bond movie was first even though the Miami Vice episode aired first!

I just checked - the Bond movie was released June 29, 1987. When was the MV episode aired?

Edited by Den Taylor

21 minutes ago, Den Taylor said:

I just checked - the Bond movie was released June 29, 1987. When was the MV episode aired?

It’s interesting Den - Jeroen Krabbe shot scenes for the Bond movie from October 1986 till roughly the end of the year  - with the movie being released in the Summer of ‘87.

He shot his scenes for Miami Vice, a good few months after filming Bond, in March ‘87 but the episode aired two months later in early May 1987 a good 6-7 weeks before the Bond movie was released in theatres.

Edited by Matt5

• 2 months later...
On 12/17/2018 at 2:50 PM, RedDragon86 said:

Awesome 10/10

I agree , I’ve been watching Season 2 in order (again! Ha ha) and saw this one last week , just so good and really quite different to other MV episodes. Dean Stockwell as Jack is great in his starring role here.:cheers:

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

I agree , I’ve been watching Season 2 in order (again! Ha ha) and saw this one last week , just so good and really quite different to other MV episodes. Dean Stockwell as Jack is great in his starring role here.:cheers:

Wonderful episode, its so authentic, you can really sense that Marty and Jack knew each other, and his wife is brilliantly cast.

Its very atmospheric in a haunting sort of way, the use of the "Kate Bush" song "Hello Earth" was pure genius at they end. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Wonderful episode, its so authentic, you can really sense that Marty and Jack knew each other, and his wife is brilliantly cast.

Its very atmospheric in a haunting sort of way, the use of the "Kate Bush" song "Hello Earth" was pure genius at they end. 

Yes excellent.

Dean Stockwell as Jack is an excellent actor - and good directing by Edward James Olmos here.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

Reading about Ninja's today (yes, I know-ninja's? :) )

Anyway, I found this interesting review of Bushido. 

https://wherebadmovieslive.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/miami-vice-monday-special-guest-review-bushido/

Interesting in a half-assed sort of way, I suppose. I always love it when people can identify every edged weapon in a show but stumble over the firearms. IMFDB exists for a reason...:p

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Interesting in a half-assed sort of way, I suppose. I always love it when people can identify every edged weapon in a show but stumble over the firearms. IMFDB exists for a reason...:p

True. And the review was a little snarky. They love to make fun and get wise over the dialogue or plot. It annoys me, but makes me laugh, too. Surf was a bit ridiculous! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

True. And the review was a little snarky. They love to make fun and get wise over the dialogue or plot. It annoys me, but makes me laugh, too. Surf was a bit ridiculous! 

Surf was, but he was supposed to be. There was a whole thing back then about the KGB training agents to infiltrate the US and live for years with those kind of covers.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

It arguably has one of the best openings to a Vice episode and EJO gives an incredible performance as he always does, but personally I don't find it as entertaining as other episodes from the season. Castillo is certainly a great and intriguing character, though. I watched this one along with Phil The Shill and Payback last night and it seemed a lot slower to me compared to the other two. I much prefer The Golden Triangle when it comes to Castillo episodes.

6/10

Edited by IzzyFan99

It's supposed to be slower. It is, however, one of the episodes that lost some great bits between the draft scripts and the actual shooting.

• 6 months later...

I’m pretty sure this is the issue of Mad Magazine little Marty had in this episode. I don’t own this one, but I have quite a collection of old Mad’s.

The filming dates for “Bushido” are in October 1985, but this issue is for December. Seems odd to me. You can clearly see Rambo on the cover of the Mad he had.

C8AE93C9-D3EC-414C-A4F7-457C32FAB0A3.jpeg