Episode #29 "Tale of the Goat"

Ferrariman

On 4/22/2021 at 1:24 PM, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Yeah, I think the cultural message in this episode is not to mess with someone else's beliefs.

I think what we were seeing with this episode (and others like Killshot) was the Miami Vice version of what CHiPs tried to do. CHiPs quite often, especially after the first season, centered an episode around something that was either big in Southern California or pop culture generally (roller disco, dirt track racing, you name it), and you see this with Vice as well. Location-centric episodes tend to age better than topical ones, but they both spring from the same intent: to capture specific or unique elements of a place and time as it existed at the time the show was shot.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2021 at 10:56 AM, Robbie C. said:

I think what we were seeing with this episode (and others like Killshot) was the Miami Vice version of what CHiPs tried to do. CHiPs quite often, especially after the first season, centered an episode around something that was either big in Southern California or pop culture generally (roller disco, dirt track racing, you name it), and you see this with Vice as well. Location-centric episodes tend to age better than topical ones, but they both spring from the same intent: to capture specific or unique elements of a place and time as it existed at the time the show was shot.

Yeah, and "CHiPs" was ripe to  be a breeding ground for trends, since California is a state that takes a trend and runs with it (valley-speak, pet rock, fashion, yoga, etc.). I totally agree with you, and I think the intent is even stronger in the 'Killshot' episode (Jai Alai is an extremely regional sport, even more so these days).

• 4 weeks later...

I watched "Tale of the goat" again yesterday. It was amusing to see Tubbs making fun of voodoo while Sonny tried to make him understand that there are enough people who believe in it.
I thought the role of Papa Legba was very well played: his facial expressions after being brought back to life by Dr. O'Hara, the way he moved afterwards, and his facial expression, which in its rigidity reminded me of a Parkinson's patient.
Tubbs gave the impression of not really taking the matter seriously even when he went to the meeting place. Of course, one could say that he was very self-confident due to his experience as an undercover policeman and believed that he could handle any situation.
That this was not so, he then had to experience unfortunately on his own body.
Sonny's concern for his friend was evident after he found the transmitter and knew that Tubbs would be on his own.
I also loved the later shots in the hospital. Tubbs' horrible nightmares, the fear he felt, and the internal struggle he had to fight when the shooting happened at the docks.
Of course, you might say that voodoo isn't necessarily something that has to do with Vice, because actually the guys are dealing with drugs and prostitution, but I still like this episode, even if it's not my favorite.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Christine said:

I watched "Tale of the goat" again yesterday. It was amusing to see Tubbs making fun of voodoo while Sonny tried to make him understand that there are enough people who believe in it.
I thought the role of Papa Legba was very well played: his facial expressions after being brought back to life by Dr. O'Hara, the way he moved afterwards, and his facial expression, which in its rigidity reminded me of a Parkinson's patient.
Tubbs gave the impression of not really taking the matter seriously even when he went to the meeting place. Of course, one could say that he was very self-confident due to his experience as an undercover policeman and believed that he could handle any situation.
That this was not so, he then had to experience unfortunately on his own body.
Sonny's concern for his friend was evident after he found the transmitter and knew that Tubbs would be on his own.
I also loved the later shots in the hospital. Tubbs' horrible nightmares, the fear he felt, and the internal struggle he had to fight when the shooting happened at the docks.
Of course, you might say that voodoo isn't necessarily something that has to do with Vice, because actually the guys are dealing with drugs and prostitution, but I still like this episode, even if it's not my favorite.

Voodoo is something that is taken seriously by those caught up in that religion, and other cult people who want to try and use it for evil and destruction. But, a large portion of people don’t believe or take it seriously...they think it’s a joke or a scam. 

Whether or not you believe or take it seriously, I think the episode is meant to show that “we” don’t know or understand everything...there’s lots we don’t comprehend or understand, and messing around with something you don’t understand can have disastrous or destructive results. 

I really like this episode, and the way they tie in something that the OCB doesn’t really understand...it became much more than taking down some weirdo drug dealers! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

This is the voodoo and zombies episode, but after seeing this subject in movies like Angel HeartThe Serpent and the Rainbow and Live and Let Die this "tale" is not as flavorful as I had hoped.  There's more potential in this subject matter than was done here. 

Some interesting guest stars: Clarence Williams III really hams it up as Legba. Peter Sellars was a trendy theater director in the 1980s. (e.g. a Mikado that is updated to present-day Japan.) Golden Globe winner Ray Sharkey is unrecognizable as a sleazy money launderer. Little Coco's Baron Samedi is a surprising contrast to the tall Geoffrey Holder's take on the same role in the above-noted Bond movie. 

The one bit of musical interest is a chord sequence that Hammer uses to great effect. "Bushido" is next up and is my favorite of Season 2.  I'm sorry to say that "Goat" is just so-so, one of the lesser eps of the season.  

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

I love this episode! 

16BF0E60-B79F-45F2-8AD1-9470E06D9220.jpeg.707b567f0aee90325934f8548dfa9775.jpeg

“Capt. Zombie” :eek: 

9135DF77-8290-4C38-9634-BBD05276D06A.jpeg.16a69165caa3b91b8b4be930e6cb1896.jpeg

Who wears a bright purple jacket and tie to ride a motorcycle & use an Uzi to assassinate someone? :p

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

Uh I hadn't watched this since childhood. Maybe I shouldn't have. It must be one of the worst episodes of Miami Vice.

The dialogue is awful, the acting is awful and the plot and characters are very cartoonish and stupid.

Pretty damn horrible episode. 

Season 2 had this four episode run Dutch Oven-Buddies-Junk Love-Tale of the Goat which is very forgettable.

On the other hand it has some absolute superb episodes (Payback, Buses, Phil the Shill, Yankee Dollar, One Way Ticket, Def.Miami, etc). 

Pluses of Tale of the Goat:

Amazing Jan Hammer music
The car salesman was an okay actor

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 10:22 PM, Christine said:

voodoo has to be divided into two main currents. religious voodoo. which is (you agree with it or not) like catholiscism or protestantism. a normal religion. and sorcery voodoo, AKA black voodoo. which is cleary done to harm people (sometimes with no other reason than harming). in sorcery there's basically no limit. so a vice squad could basically be involved. black voodoo has much, much less adepts than normal voodoo, but still exists. both white voodoo, and black voodoo priests know black voodoo. the difference between them is that houngans (white voodoo priest) use their black voodoo knowledge only for healing, or protect, while Bokors (black voodoo priest) use it for greed.

there's another class of black voodoo sorcerers knowns as cochons sans poil, or cochons gris (literally hairless pigs, or grey pigs) which in their case do black voodoo with the sole purpose of harming. they're not even after money. they just live for the evil

On 8/6/2021 at 3:00 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Voodoo is something that is taken seriously by those caught up in that religion, and other cult people who want to try and use it for evil and destruction. But, a large portion of people don’t believe or take it seriously...they think it’s a joke or a scam. 

Whether or not you believe or take it seriously, I think the episode is meant to show that “we” don’t know or understand everything...there’s lots we don’t comprehend or understand, and messing around with something you don’t understand can have disastrous or destructive results. 

I really like this episode, and the way they tie in something that the OCB doesn’t really understand...it became much more than taking down some weirdo drug dealers! :thumbsup:

this is a good review. most of people have completly biased views about voodoo. voodoo is a real religion for the main part. and thus has to be taken seriously. I think that was the point of the episode. voodoo with all its apparent funny clichés is in fact something very much real, and serious

personnally i love that episode for various reasons. the actors, the focus on Haïti, which the voodoo is a central part. and the indirect focus on the slavery legacy. because voodoo is a slave religion (strict sense)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

this is a good review. most of people have completly biased views about voodoo. voodoo is a real religion for the main part. and thus has to be taken seriously. I think that was the point of the episode. voodoo with all its apparent funny clichés is in fact something very much real, and serious

personnally i love that episode for various reasons. the actors, the focus on Haïti, which the voodoo is a central part. and the indirect focus on the slavery legacy. because voodoo is a slave religion (strict sense)

For the episode, Vice got involved because of the drugs & other vice-related illegal activities that Legba & his cult-gang were involved in. However, it all ended up being caught up in Voodoo. By all means I know that people practice & believe in Voodoo as their “religion”. But, as a very strong Christian I don’t support or condone it.

I’m not saying everything involved in Voodoo is going to automatically affect you immediately, or how things are portrayed on TV or in the movies is exactly how it would be...but by all means I do believe in evil...and evil can manifest itself in many ways & use people who cater to it (such as Legba & his cult).

To me, the point of this episode is, evil is to be taken seriously...it’s there whether you think you believe in it or not. Those who don’t believe, and choose to ignore it or aren’t aware, are some of the most susceptible to it—hence Pepe’s comment: “Whether you believe in the ocean or not...get your foot in it, you’re gonna get wet.” 

• Like 3

Papa Legba was based on Clairvius Narcisse.

I think the episode is plausible because in real life this sort stuff happened at the time.

Clarence William lll was simply amazing as Legba. This one is sort of dismissed and misunderstood. I really like the vibe, music and guest stars. 8/10

Love the tracks Transformation & especially Can't Turn Back by Red Rider.

Rico dancing:)

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Papa Legba was based on Clairvius Narcisse.

I think the episode is plausible because in real life this sort stuff happened at the time.

Clarence William lll was simply amazing as Legba. This one is sort of dismissed and misunderstood. I really like the vibe, music and guest stars. 8/10

Love the tracks Transformation & especially Can't Turn Back by Red Rider.

Rico dancing:)

Sadly & “scarily” this stuff still happens...not sure about assassins with uzis on motorcycles while wearing bright purple sports jackets & ties, nor tetrodotoxin survivors being as conniving & functional as Legba ;)...but, the “dark”, evil aspects are definitely present.  

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Sadly & “scarily” this stuff still happens...not sure about assassins with uzis on motorcycles while wearing bright purple sports jackets & ties, nor tetrodotoxin survivors being as conniving & functional as Legba ;)...but, the “dark”, evil aspects are definitely present.  

As for the assassin wearing a purple sports jacket, I think it's their gang color.  I noticed quite a few of Legba's soldiers wearing purple, even Romulus has a purple Mercedes.

In GTA:Vice City the Haitian gang members wear purple.

GTA Vice City Pedestrian Quotes Haitian Gang - YouTube

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

As for the assassin wearing a purple sports jacket, I think it's their gang color.  I noticed quite a few of Legba's soldiers wearing purple, even Romulus has a purple Mercedes.

In GTA:Vice City the Haitian gang members wear purple.

GTA Vice City Pedestrian Quotes Haitian Gang - YouTube

I don’t have much use for any of the GTA games :p...but perhaps purple was Legba’s gang color? However, I don’t remember too many of them wearing purple in the episode...including Legba himself? Ironically they seemed to wear more white than anything. 

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

I don’t have much use for any of the GTA games :p...but perhaps purple was Legba’s gang color? However, I don’t remember too many of them wearing purple in the episode...including Legba himself? Ironically they seemed to wear more white than anything. 

Maybe it was just a color the set designer was going for. 

I didn't really bother me to see an assassin dressed like that, after all it was the 80's. I guess he wanted to look stylish even though he was about to spray bullets in a coffin :)

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Maybe it was just a color the set designer was going for. 

I didn't really bother me to see an assassin dressed like that, after all it was the 80's. I guess he wanted to look stylish even though he was about to bullets in a coffin :)

Lol, I’m sure you’re exactly right...it was the 80s & MV—even the assassins had to be stylish. :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I distinctly remember this as being one of the first episodes I saw as a kid, specifically the scene when they find Tubbs in the pool. I actually thought Clarence Williams III did a job as Legba, he was sufficiently creepy. Nice seeing an early role for Mykelti Williamson as well. Tubbs had some cringey scenes in the hospital, but the voodoo angle is always an interesting one A bit too many plot holes to recommend though. 5/10

• Like 2

Fine episode from the fall of 1985 directed by veteran Hollywood director Michael O’Herlily (“A-Team”, “Airwolf”, “Dynasty”).

10 out of 10.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Fine episode from the fall of 1985 directed by veteran Hollywood director Michael O’Herlily (“A-Team”, “Airwolf”, “Dynasty”).

10 out of 10.

Agreed! :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
On 9/3/2021 at 4:53 PM, Jack Gretsky said:

This is the voodoo and zombies episode, but after seeing this subject in movies like Angel HeartThe Serpent and the Rainbow and Live and Let Die this "tale" is not as flavorful as I had hoped.  There's more potential in this subject matter than was done here. 

Some interesting guest stars: Clarence Williams III really hams it up as Legba. Peter Sellars was a trendy theater director in the 1980s. (e.g. a Mikado that is updated to present-day Japan.) Golden Globe winner Ray Sharkey is unrecognizable as a sleazy money launderer. Little Coco's Baron Samedi is a surprising contrast to the tall Geoffrey Holder's take on the same role in the above-noted Bond movie. 

The one bit of musical interest is a chord sequence that Hammer uses to great effect. "Bushido" is next up and is my favorite of Season 2.  I'm sorry to say that "Goat" is just so-so, one of the lesser eps of the season.  

I'm still pretty much in alignment with my review from two years ago, although I more enjoyed my watching of it tonight.  No, this episode is not as stylish as something like The Serpent and the Rainbow is on this subject, and it has its longueurs, but it's still quite entertaining.  (Maybe I was sleepy when I viewed it in 2021?  lol) I think the "The Search" is the name of the Hammer cue I like so much in this. 

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Gretsky said:

I'm still pretty much in alignment with my review from two years ago, although I more enjoyed my watching of it tonight.  No, this episode is not as stylish as something like The Serpent and the Rainbow is on this subject, and it has its longueurs, but it's still quite entertaining.  (Maybe I was sleepy when I viewed it in 2021?  lol) I think the "The Search" is the name of the Hammer cue I like so much in this. 

I’ve seen The Serpent and the Rainbow many years ago…very strange & bizarre! :eek:  However, I like the MV episode “Tale of the Goat”…very creepy, very wild, very stylish, and cool music! :clap:  Just don’t use Tetrodotoxin as salad dressing, okay!! :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2023 at 8:17 PM, Matt5 said:

10 out of 10.

He is brother Dan O'Herlihy was a renowned actor, notably playing "the old man" in Robocop, head of OCP.

His nephew Gavin O'Herlihy was a well known actor as well.

On 9/18/2023 at 3:08 PM, RedDragon86 said:

He is brother Dan O'Herlihy was a renowned actor, notably playing "the old man" in Robocop, head of OCP.

His nephew Gavin O'Herlihy was a well known actor as well.

Great info thanks 

• Like 1