Episode #21 "Evan"

Ferrariman

About Evan I can write thousands of posts!! This episode belongs to the 10 best episodes of the complete series!:happy::happy::happy::clap::clap::clap:EVERYTHING IS COHERENT - from actors, story, social criticism to music, style, camera work and atmosphere!:thumbsup:Evan builds an extreme contrast to the prior episode - Nobody Lives Forever - which shows exotic locations and Sonny in love.Here we are confronted with the antipode: darkness, bleak locations, absolutely hard action and depressing atmosphere.:clap:Already the teaser is worthy of an award: the VICE team observe an arms deal. Thereto Rhythm Of The Heat by Peter Gabriel is played - one of the best songs of the show and of the 80s!!!:radio::radio: Then we can see an apparently ruthless William Russ aka Evan Freed who shoots at dollys with Mac 10s.:cool:After the strike of the police, Evan speeds with Guzman's limousine out of the hangar and drives against a police car so heavily that it blows up - COOL!!!:glossy:After this bombastic teaser, you have the feeling to be in a first class action movie. But Evan features more than only good action: very deep going dialogues, criticism on nazis, an aweful story about three friends who fall out because one of them is gay and the importance of friendship!:clap:Moreover Evan goes totally without humour. I love this circumstance because humour would be out of place here. There are life situations which aren't funny. This episode describes one of them.Donnie gets this difficult situation of Sonny across brilliantly. He shows what an excellent actor he is!!!:clap:Mentionable is the fantastic music: The Rhythm Of The Heat and Biko by Peter Gabriel are a milestone - unsuperable!!!:radio:And Jan Hammer's Evan and The Talk are also very great!100 points!!!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

What can be said about this that haven't already been said. Yes, it's definitely one of the best episodes of the first season. Everything is in place here. Be it as it may, it still isn't the best episode of the first season in my book even though it comes close. But it's definitely one of the best if not the best serious episodes in the whole series. I like how Crockett and Tubbs get in their first real fight. Maybe not a fight (definitely not a physical one), but it shows their relationship isn't as tight as some viewers might believe (at this point of the series). Of course the flip side of the coin is that what is shown later in the episode actual makes their partnership tighter. 10/10

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Have you ever asked yourself what Iggy Pop looked liked when guest-starring in this episode before before the NBC censors cut his scenes due to its SM content?Then look at the two cute color pics attached!(for those who did not know: NBC cut scenes in an bar called Buzzrod, where Crockett&Tubbs question Thumper, a snitch played by Iggy Pop, to get the connection to Guzman. The scene before -which is still in the episode - Crockett got a tip from Neonzi Kern who mentioned Thumper. Thanks to CGlide who has the production sheets and the script from this ep, we know that the Buzzrod scenes where shot early on 12 March 1985 - the same day as the famous gas station scenes later that night in Little Havanna - at Antiquities DuFutur 87 NE 40 Street, before the crew moved to downtown for the gas station.When Crockett&Tubbs enter the Buzzrod, a dominatrix called Velvet molested a guy on an SM-torture rack. That is why NBC cut the scene completely. Camille Sands who played Velvet confirmed later what happened in the scene and she also issued the two photos attached at Facebook)

post-6996-13892964743914_thumb.jpg

post-6996-13892964744505_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

Wooooh! I've never seen Iggy Pop images from Evan before. This is radical. Thank you times a million for posting these. I really wish tv shows weren't rushed to disc like they are without any real extras. Can you imagine some of the gems that could be included under 'Deleted Scenes?'

evan- wow is agood episode and a good story:thumbsup:, evan is great :thumbsup: the music is good i love the music from peter gabriel :thumbsup: also what the numbers of colours the jacketts is great:thumbsup:.i give 10 points

• 8 months later...

one of my favorites of both. I gave it a 9! :thumbsup:

I still agree with my original post on this episode! Although it's not the best of first season or the series itself...it's definitely one of the best of first season and the show. :thumbsup:This was also one of the few times I ever saw Crockett (when he was not playing a dork to fool hookers or something like in "Golden Triangle" Pt. 1 :) ) with completely slicked back hair...as in the scene where Even comes to visit him on his boat. To me it just looked kind of weird...and too much like the dork from Wichita that fooled Candy. :pBut, overall I loved both Crockett and Tubbs' fashion in this one, and the colors, clothes, music, and action were awesome! :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid Miami Vice was a show that I knew had a lot of buzz about it but I was more into the A-Team and Transformers etc. Then I saw this episode one night and everything changed. I was hooked from here on and I consider this episode part of my television maturation. I remember getting the soundtrack and the album closed with Evan-seriously haunting on a walkman with the lights off. Not much else can be said that hasn't already. Quick question that may have been asked before- what happens to Guzman's bodyguard on the driver's side at the end? Are we to assume he gets hit when they shoot Guzman or is Tubbs maybe dealing with him while Sonny sees to Evan or maybe he just runs? Also, who played that guy and was he in other eps?

• Like 1

I still agree with my original post on this episode! Although it's not the best of first season or the series itself...it's definitely one of the best of first season and the show. :thumbsup: This was also one of the few times I ever saw Crockett (when he was not playing a dork to fool hookers or something like in "Golden Triangle" Pt. 1 :) ) with completely slicked back hair...as in the scene where Even comes to visit him on his boat. To me it just looked kind weird...and too much like the dork from Wichita that fooled Candy. :p But' date=' overall I loved both Crockett and Tubbs' fashion in this one, and the colors, clothes, music, and action were awesome! :clap:[/quote'] The slicked back hair scene looked like a morning scene (at least by Crockett standards) and he'd probably just taken a shower and was getting ready when Evan shows up-that's why his hair looked like that. BTW my stepdad owned a boat just like the St Vitus and they are equipped with showers in the bathroom compartment, however cramped they may be.

Really good episode. There are tons of great scenes and adds alot to sonny's character and also his relationship with Rico.Did Don johnson win the golden globe for this season or the second? They could have given it to him based on this episode alone. The material he has to work with is incredible.Also I don't know if i would've given that cute girl in the club a raincheck.:)Its not one i watch alot because the story is kind of depressing but when i do i enjoy it alot 9/10

• Like 1

The slicked back hair scene looked like a morning scene (at least by Crockett standards) and he'd probably just taken a shower and was getting ready when Evan shows up-that's why his hair looked like that. BTW my stepdad owned a boat just like the St Vitus and they are equipped with showers in the bathroom compartment' date=' however cramped they may be.[/quote']Yeah, I agree. It was probably a "morning" scene for Crockett and he was in the middle of getting ready when Evan showed up. Crockett didn't look that bad...just was different than the "standard" Crockett hairdew--all moussed up & back (rather than slicked back) with the bangs hanging down. :cool:That's awesome that your step-dad owned a boat like the St. Vitus...does he still have it? :thumbsup: However, I would hope they had some sort of shower/tub to clean up in...otherwise Crockett would have been a little rank :sick: after being in the Florida heat all day and not being able to shower at the end of the day. Then he'd have to either jump in the ocean or wait for rain. :rain::p:)

that bad...just was different than the "standard" Crockett hairdew--all moussed up & back (rather than slicked back) with the bangs hanging down. :cool:That's awesome that your step-dad owned a boat like the St. Vitus...does he still have it? :thumbsup: However, I would hope they had some sort of shower/tub to clean up in...otherwise Crockett would have been a little rank :sick: after being in the Florida heat all day and not being able to shower at the end of the day. Then he'd have to either jump in the ocean or wait for rain. :rain::p:)

I don't know if it's the same in Florida, but here in California any marina with "live-aboards" has private shower and bathroom facilities for boat owners. In fact most live-aboards, and I have several friends who are, use the shore facilities rather than their on board showers. It uses alot of water and requires much more frequent pump outs if you use your own shower daily. Of course it's a different story if you're on the hook somewhere or at a mooring. Even then, many popular boating destinations have public showers. Avalon, on Catalina Island here in Southern California has surprisingly nice public shower facilities available to boaters (anyone really). There are several hundred moorings around the area. Many yacht clubs also have showers available for guests and members.

that bad...just was different than the "standard" Crockett hairdew--all moussed up & back (rather than slicked back) with the bangs hanging down. :cool: That's awesome that your step-dad owned a boat like the St. Vitus...does he still have it? :thumbsup: However, I would hope they had some sort of shower/tub to clean up in...otherwise Crockett would have been a little rank :sick: after being in the Florida heat all day and not being able to shower at the end of the day. Then he'd have to either jump in the ocean or wait for rain. :rain::p:)

No he does't still have it. He sold it in the 90s. The reason he got it was Miami Vice. He had just moved out of his apartment and now he wanted to live like Crockett. Also there were shower facilities at the marina too. Also, anybody notice Sonny's instinctive reaction to Guzman pulling the gun on Evan in the scrapyard and Rico having to cut him off? Good character moment
  • Like 3

No he does't still have it. He sold it in the 90s. The reason he got it was Miami Vice. He had just moved out of his apartment and now he wanted to live like Crockett. Also there were shower facilities at the marina too. Also' date=' anybody notice Sonny's instinctive reaction to Guzman pulling the gun on Evan in the scrapyard and Rico having to cut him off? Good character moment[/quote']Oh, man...that's too bad he sold it! :cry: But, yeah I guess there were shower facilities at the marina...but Crockett's alter-ego as Sonny Burnette would not have lived aboard a boat with no shower. ;) The boat, the Ferraris, everything were owned by the county and were loaned to him for his drug-dealer image.Yeah, the end scenes of "Evan" were tragic & sad :cry: , but very touching and some of the best of the episode! :clap:
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Comes in almost as a tie for me, with Redemption in Blood as my favorite, but Evan was definitely a 10.

• Like 2

Comes in almost as a tie for me, with Redemption in Blood as my favorite, but Evan was definitely a 10.

Yes another great episode "Redemption in Blood " I also give 10 out of 10 for that one  :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/17/2009 at 4:49 PM, Ell.a said:

(snipped)'Evan' is one of my personal top 10 episodes. In this storyline there is so much worth writing and talking about... but I'll try to keep it as short as I can...Music: 10 of 10Jan Hammers did a great job: "Evan" is a part of my hammer favorite collection. The music choice is brilliant and a little bit mysterious - well fitting to the nightmare atmosphere of the story. Just one single example: Guzman opens the money bag to the beginning of Peter Gabriel's "Biko". Whenever I hear this tune ... I see the blue light on the bills, Guzman's eyes shining in the dark and Rico's contented face. Wow!   Light/style: 10 out of 10 Just another example: The scenery at the gas station. In 'Evan' night sceneries and blue (cool) light are predominant. But when it comes to emotional parts, the blue light is accentuated by pink and red spots!     Storyline: 10 out of 10It's thrilling and moving because once more the friendship between Rico and Sonny is in danger...     ... and because there are some more very emotional moments of human life: Homosexuality and its social exclusion, becoming overwhelmed by the demons of the past, (not) dealing with problems in the present, friendship and faith to deal with the future. This episode is also another insight into the dark side of Sonny Crockett. Obviously there are some things in his life, he can't handle as professionally as he handles his gun and his car. On the "other board" there was a very moving thread covering the question "What happened after 'Evan'?" and Evan's quote: "now it's your turn, Sonny!"This is my interpretation: Many things suggest that when catching the "Bullett for Crockett", Evan tries to find HIS redemption. He feels guilty because he condemned his former friends and partner Mike Orgel.(snipped) 

I can hardly add to Ell.a's comments from 2009 :clap:  Evan is also in my top 10, probably in my top 5 eps of the show.  Music:  Evan and especially The Talk; Biko is also a great atmospheric piece perfectly suited to the scene.  Storyline:  still relevant, even 30 years later, and still cuts close to the bone for anyone who has experienced the death of a friendship over some serious reason.  

I read Cory Barker's review earlier and he seemed to feel it would have been better if Sonny had participated in the bullying of Orgel:  "it's still telling that the character who is actually homosexual is dead and gone and Crockett gets to feel bad simply for not speaking up (not for actually doing anything wrong)."

But I think his guilt over doing nothing is more relatable and the fact that he "didn't do anything" also gave him the ability to repress and deny his part in Mike's death for a long time.  When Evan showed up again and forced him to face the demons he'd been avoiding, he struggled to maintain those defenses.  To continue the confessional motif of the episode, sins of omission can carry the same weight as sins of commission.  In the end he couldn't fully give Evan or himself the absolution Evan sought (because Evan was dying he wasn't able to rebuild the relationship) but I think he did understand the truth Tubbs spoke about how he (Sonny) needed to forgive himself in order to get out of the hole of guilt he was in. 

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

This ones a classic.

Cool to see Hector the Toad as the villain.

Love the character of Evan. Kind of tragic.

The scene with The Talk playing is amazing.

I love the line "you're my partner, not my priest".

No problems here. Its a pretty ballsy episode. Especially for 1985. Damn i really missed out on some good times didn't I? Oh well. Cheers.

10/10

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Has it ever been discussed that Guzman's bodyguard is Olivia Brown's (Trudy's) real-life brother Steven? If so, I missed/forgot it. :) 

Also, he is a former NFL player, and now one of the coaches for the Tennessee Titans. 

http://www.titansonline.com/team/coaches/Brown_Steve/b962fb78-df0e-410d-aabe-52ceb69793ad?qwr=fullsite_temporary

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 4/16/2011 at 6:19 AM, alleycat said:

This is my second episode I love.I remember seeing it when it premiered in the 80's and loved it.Loved the Evan theme and can listen to it over and over again.Theres scenes I really loved.Like the one that Castillo and Sonny have in the office.Sonny:I'll like off this one pleaseCastillo:Why?Sonny:I just do,I think I am entitled to a little slack without having to go to confessionalCastillo:I don'tSonny:thanks for the understandingCastillo:you expect understanding,so do I,understand the job gets doneSonny:I'll think about itThe other scene with Rico and Sonny in the daytona:Sonny: There's nothing going down. You don't need to know anything. And where the hell do you come off, demanding that I bare my soul to you? You're my partner, not my priest.Tubbs: Don't be copping no attitude, man, 'cause I don't need to hear it. If you want to drop the friendship and just be partners, so be it.Sonny: So be it.Love the attitude Sonny gives.Also between both scenes with references to the confessional and the priest,love it.Also the scene at the gas station when Sonny explains his relationship with Evan to Rico and they become friends again.Love the music thetalk in that scene.I can watch it over and over again.:happy:

Good review and good read - just a great episode.