Episode #21 "Evan"

Ferrariman

• 10 months later...

Well, here it is , the episode everyone says is the best one of all, "Evan." Although, it was interesting & the acting was good, it's not one of my favorite episodes. Maybe, I miss the fun, action and Miami lifestyle that is more evident in other episodes. I'm glad Sonny & Rico solidified their friendship after Sonny took offense at Rico for prying into his life. It was a very sad scene when Evan dies in Sonny's arms. A couple of goofs I noticed. Evan talking to Guzman & the bottle of Gold Spring liquor facing one way & then another in the cuts from one man to the other. Also Evan turning one slat on the OCB blind & in the next shot 3 slats were turned. I rate "Evan" a 7. Just not my type of MV episode.I may watch this episode again and change my rating!!

Spoiler alerts! Don't read this if you've haven't seen it, you've been warned!This is considered the best of the series, I don't know about that (Indian Wars is my fave) but this is my favorite season one episode. The opening is a strange scene, mannequins chained up, Evan blasts them to pieces with Mac 10s (those guns are considered inaccurate at a distance, by the way, funny he doesn't say that, used car salesman technique!) and Rhythm of the Heat playing giving it a haunting melody, the Jan Hammer piece is my second favorite piece of Jan Hammer music of all time (after Crockett's Theme, of course), the story is great, I don't think they've ever depicted this before. (backstory spoiler:Crockett's hate of Evan is due to a vice cop's suicide after coming out of the closet, Evan ridiculed the vice cop over it.) Evan is certainly mentally unstable and has a death wish. Al Israel, who played Hector the Toad, the character who famously chopped up Tony Montana's friend in the bathtub scene on the legendary Scarface, plays an arms dealer who doesn't know that Evan is ATF. (Spoiler: I don't think he ever knew, he met his demise in a spectacular shoot-out.) We learn of a skeleton in Crockett's closet, and the end sadly, he doesn't get his chance to make peace due to Evan's demise at the hands of Israel's dealer. (Who meets his demise in the same scene.) All in all, this is a perfect episode,the absolute best of season one (even beating the masterpiece Calderone's Demise!) One score, one score only! 10 out of 10!

Evan is a classic Vice ep and rightly so. Everything about it screams quality. The acting was perfect and Jan Hammer excelled himself. What can I say that hasn't been said before?Just a damn fine episode.Very deep themes in this ep; Loyalty, duty, devotion. It's chockful of memorable scenes. Not least the gas station scene. A classic moment in the series. The sequence was perfect. Sonny had a lot on his chest and needed to open up and be reassured. Great guest appearances. William Russ was excellent as the self-destructive tortured soul Evan and there's a very cool presence in Al Israel aka Hector the Toad from Scarface. The last time he was in Miami he was armed with a chainsaw. And this is the second time he was shot dead in Miami. The last time was on Ocean Drive.Heartwrenching ending with Evan dying in Sonny's arms with Peter Gabriel's 'Biko' blazing away. Gabriel made his first Vice appearance here and of course he would go on to serve the show very well. Superb ep. 9/10

• Like 3

EvanEvan is a dark episode, but despite the pastels and sunshine, Miami Vice has always been a dark, dark show. That's why it was so special. It broke out of the boring, conventional cop show mold we were so used to seeing back then and gave us stories with substance. You couldn't predict what was going to happen or expect a neatly packaged happy ending. Better yet, the good guys had lots of imperfections and conflicts about good and evil, which made them more human and believable than the TV detectives of the day. The music-10The story-10The characters-10The acting-10The photography-10Special effects-10The ending-10I feel like a judge, holding up rating cards at the Olympics! MJ

• Like 2

Evan was a classic episode of Miami Vice. I liked who Evan was once a Vice cop, and how Crockett was once his partner. I liked it a lot, very intriguing.

All I can say is that this ep is brilliant in every way, a masterpiece; it has a great story plot and intense dialogues.The beginning scene with the Mac 10 is filled with adrenaline ("..Good little weapon, it slices, it dices...") and just when you think that Evan Freed is just another weapon smuggler, the story turns to reveal the unimaginable: I love the expression on Sonny’s face when he recognizes Evan’s voice “Who is this guy?â€.The scene when Evan confronts Sonny on the St. Vitus is a great example of acting, Evan perfectly portrays a man on the edge, I love his line "Tell me, how does it feel to be perfect?". Sonny is beautiful, with his hair pulled back and the turquoise t-shirt… he rarely looked that gorgeous again! The chemistry between Sonny and Rico in the Daytona is amazing, they agree to drop the friendship but it ultimately brings them closer as partners. The scene at the gas station is nothing else but perfectly touching, with “The Talk†in the background that adds even more power to a dialogue that sums up the essence of the episode. This scene and “The Talk†(which I prefer to “Evanâ€) are the reason why I'd give 11/10 if I could.The slow-motion with Crockett and Tubbs walking away really increases the intensity of the scene and fits in perfectly with Peter Gabriel's song that also strengthen the ending, where Tubbs comes up from behind and puts his hand on Crockett’s shoulder.

• Like 1

One of the few perfect 10 episodes for me. Just an all-around classic example of Vice. I just can't see any real fan of MV not loving this episode in some capacity.

• Like 1

Guest neworder

Im unsure of this one, 9 or a 10 for defs, on .org it was a 9 but im feeling unsure probs cos i havent seen it in a while.So i shall watch it when i get home from uni this weekend as I dont have season 1 on me at Uni...criminal eh? lolSJB

if an alien asked me what miami vice was, i'd show it this episode. then i'd ask him if he knew Lou DeLong.

• Haha 1

• Administrators

Oh my God! It's really difficult to start this review...At first: My rate is a fat 10 of course. This is the easiest thing I can say about this episode. 'Evan' is one of my personal top 10 episodes. In this storyline there is so much worth writing and talking about... but I'll try to keep it as short as I can...Music: 10 of 10Jan Hammers did a great job: "Evan" is a part of my hammer favorite collection. The music choice is brilliant and a little bit mysterious - well fitting to the nightmare atmosphere of the story. Just one single example: Guzman opens the money bag to the beginning of Peter Gabriel's "Biko". Whenever I hear this tune ... I see the blue light on the bills, Guzman's eyes shining in the dark and Rico's contented face. Wow!Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Light/style: 10 out of 10 Just another example: The scenery at the gas station. In 'Evan' night sceneries and blue (cool) light are predominant. But when it comes to emotional parts, the blue light is accentuated by pink and red spots! Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Storyline: 10 out of 10It's thrilling and moving because once more the friendship between Rico and Sonny is in danger... Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild ... and because there are some more very emotional moments of human life: Homosexuality and its social exclusion, becoming overwhelmed by the demons of the past, (not) dealing with problems in the present, friendship and faith to deal with the future. This episode is also another insight into the dark side of Sonny Crockett. Obviously there are some things in his life, he can't handle as professionally as he handles his gun and his car. On the "other board" there was a very moving thread covering the question "What happened after 'Evan'?" and Evan's quote: "now it's your turn, Sonny!"This is my interpretation: Many things suggest that when catching the "Bullett for Crockett", Evan tries to find HIS redemption. He feels guilty because he condemned his former friends and partner mike orgel.Sonny: Why you'd have to do this?Evan: My decision. Good or bad. Maybe I wanted to prove something. Maybe not. Like Orgel.Sonny: Orgel made his own decision. Hang on, Evan!Evan: Now it's your turn, Sonny.Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 2

• Administrators

That's it. Another quote ...Rico: You've both been livin' with it all this time. It's been eating away at you. And now there's a chance for you to lay it to rest.Sonny: I can't. Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Sonny isn't able to forgive, he isn't even able to forget. He can't forgive himself - that's the reason why he blames Evan as well. Mike and Evan searched for a way out ... and found it with their own death finally. Now it's Sonnys turn to make his peace but ...Sonny: I can't.Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild This is human tragedy at its best.No doubt: Don Johnson/William Russ is the most enthralling team of the whole series in my book.

• Like 1

I thought this was a terrific ep. Excellent story, perfect acting. I love it.I wrote this on my iPod touch, the reason it's short.

• Like 2

Definately one of the best from Season 1.Great initial teaser. I challenge anyone to not watch the rest of the episode after watching that first scene.The thing about "Evan" is that it's a great psychological drama, and that's what sets it apart from other episodes i.e how well it was written.Thought Crockett looked the coolest he's ever done in this episode. It's also one of the few times you ever see Crockett actually dress in undercover clothes other than designer suits as well (the scene at the indoor shooting range).Do you think that Wilson, the ATF guy had a Napoleon complex?I like the acting between DJ and EJO in the "I want off this one please Leutenant" scene. You see genuine puzzlement and confusion in Castillo's face as Crockett walks off and he tries to make sense of Crockett's behaviour. That's a rare sight from Castillo.The petrol bump scene was a great scene. Another good male bonding scene between Crockett and Tubbs (aww mates!)I think Guzman's house is the same one as Mr Palmo's from "Honor among thieves?".Great final scene in the junk yard, right from the point where Crockett and Tubbs walk in to where the episode finally ends.Shame the Iggy Pop scene was cut though, I have to say! They should re-release the dvd with that scene included. What may have been deemed unsuitable for tv in 1985 would probably be deemed tame by todays standards. And besides, this is a dvd we're talking about!I have to give it 8 out of 10. Definately a good episode, but we're still not on my favourites yet!

I watched the episode again last night and realised that the reason I like it so much is that it encapsulates everything I remember of Miami Vice from its first run in the 80s: the settings especially the red house and the petrol station at night, the haunting music by Jan Hammer, DJ looking at his best, the obligatory night drive through Miami. To add to this, by this episode all the actors had got into their characters and along with the excellent guest appearance by William Russ as on the edge Evan, I wouldn't be able to give this anything less than 10.

• Like 1

Guest neworder

Overwhelming majority voting 10 here.Im settling with 9 as always, its a very good episode, terrific score, good acting nice story. Perhaps however too many long dialogue scenes which is why i lower it from 10.SO overall a 9/10 from me.

• 2 weeks later...

'Evan' gets a full 10 from my vote! This ep simply shines in every way. An emotional story line, compelling music score,('Evan' to me is one of Jan's best tracks) and it blended superbly. An ep of MV at it's best.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the best episodes of season one and one of the best out of the whole series. I have watched this episode over and over. This episode marked a big turning point in solidifying the friendship between Crockett and Tubbs. The opening scene was great and the use of Peter Gabriel's "Rythm of the Heat" was excellent. Jan Hammer's piece entitled "Evan" is probably one of his best compositions for the whole series. I have to say that this episode deserves a 10.

• 11 months later...

I love the episode "Evan" and it's one of the best of first season! I know many consider it to be the best of the whole series...however, I don't agree with that. :( It was awesome but not superb or the "ultimate." ;)I love the past storyline that explains the involvement of Sonny and Evan--and talk about a wild beginning! :eek: We immediately get to experience the mental breakdown of Evan from the strart--and I love the part at the beginning where Even kisses the stomachs of the mannequins and says to them: "Miss me, girls?" :) Totally whacked out! :rolleyes:I thought William Russ did a superb job of playing the disturbed Evan Freed and "made" the episode. Music was awesome too.Even though this isn't my all-time favorite first season episode, and I don't think it warrants being the actual best of the whole series, it is one of my favorites of both. I gave it a 9! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My username and Av pretty much tells the story, I love this episode.If I could only choose a single episode to show someone who has never seen Miami Vice, Evan is the one.It features all the elememts that made this series the one of the greatest cop dramas in tv history. That redefined the subgenre and heavily influenced many cop dramas that followed. 10/10

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

This is my second episode I love.I remember seeing it when it premiered in the 80's and loved it.Loved the Evan theme and can listen to it over and over again.Theres scenes I really loved.Like the one that Castillo and Sonny have in the office.Sonny:I'll like off this one pleaseCastillo:Why?Sonny:I just do,I think I am entitled to a little slack without having to go to confessionalCastillo:I don'tSonny:thanks for the understandingCastillo:you expect understanding,so do I,understand the job gets doneSonny:I'll think about itThe other scene with Rico and Sonny in the daytona:Sonny: There's nothing going down. You don't need to know anything. And where the hell do you come off, demanding that I bare my soul to you? You're my partner, not my priest.Tubbs: Don't be copping no attitude, man, 'cause I don't need to hear it. If you want to drop the friendship and just be partners, so be it.Sonny: So be it.Love the attitude Sonny gives.Also between both scenes with references to the confessional and the priest,love it.Also the scene at the gas station when Sonny explains his relationship with Evan to Rico and they become friends again.Love the music thetalk in that scene.I can watch it over and over again.:happy:

• Like 1