Episode #28 "Junk Love"

Ferrariman

50 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

I don't know--while it's a very distasteful subject (incest), poor Rosella has apparently been a victim of her father for many years.  In that sense she has been a slave to his *love*.  Very tragic and IMO, appropriate.  As a young child or teen, she may as well have been enslaved to him, since she would have been powerless to escape.  And even as an adult, the episode showed how Silva would get rid of anyone else Rosella tried to get close to or to get help from.  So she remained a helpless pawn in his power.  Perhaps there were actions she could have taken and didn't, but she knew no other life so I can see how she felt she had no other choice than to stay with him and dull the pain with drugs. 

Good points , Vicegirl!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

I don't know--while it's a very distasteful subject (incest), poor Rosella has apparently been a victim of her father for many years.  In that sense she has been a slave to his *love*.  Very tragic and IMO, appropriate. 

True! When you think of it that way, a song titled "Slave to Love" seems extremely fitting. Very good point!

giphy-downsized (1).gif

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ComplimentsofMrCalderone said:

True! When you think of it that way, a song titled "Slave to Love" seems extremely fitting. Very good point!

giphy-downsized (1).gif

The song did work in this episode - but you think of all the fuss this song received later in “9 and a half Weeks” and more exposure:hippie:

Edited by Matt5

I also agree on vicegirl85's interpretation of the song title/chorus fitting with their relationship and to add during the conversation Rosella is having with Crockett and Tubbs, but the rest of the lyrics doesn't fit (not that it all necessarily has to) and it didn't work for me with the song being used over dialogue. It does have a melancholy feel to it, again for me it should have been used in a unhappy love or love story with no dialogue over it. 

Edited by summer84

• 1 year later...

love Crockett last move. like if he had to deal with another deep s.. you know. love that episode. a courageous attempt to treat the delicate paedophilia question

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey everyone, after having the blu-ray box set for probably a good 2 years after it was released, I've finally began only my 2nd pass at the series. I've been taking notes of which locations I plan to check out and taken some pics of (as well as some still-shots of whichever moments I think will help me further improve my quest to style my hair like Don. Blu-ray quality really helps with better resolution so as to get a better idea of how to comb it, lol), and you guys can expect me to come up with a game plan of doing some runs around Miami to get some pics of me dressed in the classic white suit. I'm about 6-7 episodes into season 2 at the moment, but I'm watching them in production order, rather than the order they aired, as a way to help with the continuity regarding hair/beard style changes (plus it makes it interesting to see the episodes in a slightly different order).

Now that I've gotten this far into the show, I've decided to give some quick thoughts on each episode that I feel warrants it (I imagine with the lower quality of the later seasons, I won't have as much to say, but thankfully I'm in the thick of season 2 right now. So I'm having a ball), as a 2nd pass has made it a lot easier to remember the overall plot lines (first time I ran through the series, it was way too much for me to absorb). I figure as fans of the show, this is what we do, and no one should be upset if I'm 'bumping' old threads.

This was a great episode. I loved the lady the episode focused on and felt so sorry for her once we find out the truth regarding her relationship with the main baddie (I won't spoil it even though most of us here already know the twist). I've taken notes of places in Miami I wanna check out, but obviously private houses are a no-go. I did really like the place the guy lives in. Anyone care to say where it is/was located? Just wanna know for myself lol. I especially loved the music too.  Some of Jan's best work IMO.  Bryan Ferry's "Slave to Love" is used here wonderfully during the party scene. Swietek and Zito always provide the laughs. I give this episode a 9/10.

Edited by TylerDurden389
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

Forgive me if we’ve covered this before, but during the dog fight scene when Rosella is taunting Silva by the pool she says, “If I were you...honneeyyy...”, and it really sounds like the “honey” was an overdub. Also, her lips don’t look like she said “honey” in the take.

Has anyone else ever noticed this? Does the script say “honey” on that line?

It almost looks like she is saying “daddyyy” in the scene, but that would’ve been too much of a spoiler. Right? ?(

• Like 2

This episode is one of the weakest of season 2 for me. Lot of style, but no substance as tension-wise as flat as Missing hours. The incest idea as story line and a very famous guest star (who is acting-wise one of the worst) is not enough for 45 minutes. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tom said:

This episode is one of the weakest of season 2 for me. Lot of style, but no substance as tension-wise as flat as Missing hours. The incest idea as story line and a very famous guest star (who is acting-wise one of the worst) is not enough for 45 minutes. 

Dang Tom. I was hoping you would answer my question. :) 

As for your review, it’s not the worst thing Miles had done. The 80s were pretty rough for him. :) 

• Haha 1

vor 39 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

Dang Tom. I was hoping you would answer my question. :) 

As for your review, it’s not the worst thing Miles had done. The 80s were pretty rough for him. :) 

I can´t answer your question Dadrian! As implied by my statement, I haven´t seen Junk Love in years. But if that´s important for you I would even look into it to come up with an answer and to prevent you from more sleepless nights...:p

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I think you might feel that there is no substance because the drug dealing storyline is secondary and its more focused on drug addicting and abuse and looking into the depths of mans depravity.

Gerade eben schrieb RedDragon86:

I think you might feel that there is no substance because the drug dealing storyline is secondary and its more focused on drug addicting and abuse and looking into the depths of mans depravity.

There IS no substance (my opinion) because the whole episode is only focused on the mystery relationship between Rosella and Silva and that is not a sufficient story backbone. In this sense, it´s as flat as Missing hours for me. It seems that the whole effort went into hiring Miles Davis. Also, music- and location-wise this episode falls off from most others that year.

vor 17 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

I will read harder next time :hot:

It honors me if you believe I even get such details of an episode I do not like and hardly ever watch.:p

Quickly looked into the scene you described. The "honeeyyy" looks a bit odd at first, but after playing it several times I could not find any clear evidence that the word does not match her lip movements. If it was dubbed, then it must have been a word with similar letters in the beginning ("daddy" would not work, as it requires closed lips at the beginning). Hope that helps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

It honors me if you believe I even get such details of an episode I do not like and hardly ever watch.:p

Quickly looked into the scene you described. The "honeeyyy" looks a bit odd at first, but after playing it several times I could not find any clear evidence that the word does not match her lip movements. If it was dubbed, then it must have been a word with similar letters in the beginning ("daddy" would not work, as it requires closed lips at the beginning). Hope that helps.

The question was to anyone and everyone (but I certainly wouldn’t been surprised if you had the script or something). Thanks for checking. Maybe I can get some sleep now. :) 

13 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Forgive me if we’ve covered this before, but during the dog fight scene when Rosella is taunting Silva by the pool she says, “If I were you...honneeyyy...”, and it really sounds like the “honey” was an overdub. Also, her lips don’t look like she said “honey” in the take.

It almost looks like she is saying “daddyyy” in the scene, but that would’ve been too much of a spoiler. Right? ?(

I don’t remember noticing this...I’ll have to watch this one again soon. Cool “catch”, if true! 

I was surprised this one made it through the censors at the time...they banned “Too Much” but allowed this one?? Both were equally dark and depraving. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Interesting, Dadrian! You pick up on a lot of interesting tidbits! :clap:

I love this episode! It’s got Miles Davis, Ely Pouget, lots of style, a shocking premise, and amazing tunes! I would say Robert Plant’s “Little By Little” is my favorite song he ever did, including everything Led Zeppelin. Bryan Ferry’s “Slave to Love” and Wang Chung’s “True Love” are fantastic as well. I might say “Slave to Love” would be in my top 10 80’s songs... and I am an immense 80’s fan!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

You pick up on a lot of interesting tidbits! 

I watch with studio-grade headphones :) 

Honestly, I won’t watch MV without them now. It’s like having 20/40 vision, and then someone puts glasses on your face for the Definitely Miami pool scene. :wuerg:

Total game-changer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Honestly, I won’t watch MV without them now. It’s like having 20/40 vision, and then someone puts glasses on your face for the Definitely Miami pool scene. :wuerg:

Total game-changer!

I've taken to watching quite a few shows this way. It is amazing what you miss...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Total game-changer!

I don’t know about “studio-grade” headphones ;), but I absolutely love watching my “special” DVD set of original NBC airings...with all original colors & logos (not the altered ones for syndicated versions that were ultimately used for the official DVD & Blu-Ray sets), complete unedited episodes, and even includes the original commercial bumpers (which are almost impossible to find anymore)! For me, anyway, it’s basically MV gold!! :clap: 

Don’t ask me how, but watching them on my Blu-Ray player basically turns straight from the 80s into HD. They’re not “perfectly” digitally remastered so not everything is as “defined” as official DVDs or Blu-Rays, don’t misunderstand me...but it’s amazing watching original airings/colors/logos somehow in HD! :glossy:

I still have my official Universal DVD sets that I got as each was originally released (in all honesty probably won’t bother with the Blu-Ray set anytime soon)...but I always go to my O.A. (original airing) set every time when going through the show. :thumbsup:  

• Like 1