Episode #28 "Junk Love"

Ferrariman

15 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@ViceFanManand where can I get that set of DVDs??????? :radar:

I would love to tell you how...but it’s been several years ago, and I don’t remember or know how to contact the person that put the set together for me?? ?( I just happened to be blessed and/or lucky enough back around 2012-13 to come into contact with another serious MV fan who took his original VHS tapes of the airings & had them transferred to some DVDs...preserving/improving them as much as he could.

I wish studios releasing older TV shows to DVD/Blu-Ray would include original commercial bumpers, if the show had them. To me that’d be a major bonus! 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2021 at 1:37 PM, Tom said:

There IS no substance (my opinion) because the whole episode is only focused on the mystery relationship between Rosella and Silva and that is not a sufficient story backbone. In this sense, it´s as flat as Missing hours for me. It seems that the whole effort went into hiring Miles Davis. Also, music- and location-wise this episode falls off from most others that year.

I guessed she was his daughter almost right away. Wasn't impressed with the other aspects of it either and would give it a 4 because I enjoyed Crockett at the auction ! On second thoughts, make that a 3. I forgot about that distasteful dogfight.

Edited by wolfie1996
changed my rating
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

I guessed she was his daughter almost right away

I think it was cool how they inserted all kinds of hidden clues in the things he says to her throughout the episode that dads say to their kids (i. e., “just one kiss”, “it’s time to come in out of the pool”, etc.). 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I think it was cool how they inserted all kinds of hidden clues in the things he says to her throughout the episode that dads say to their kids (i. e., “just one kiss”, “it’s time to come in out of the pool”, etc.)

Exactly. I don't always pick up on these things but much of of their interaction implied it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is an episode that is tragic...but still draws you in. Although I saw more of the first three seasons of MV during its original run, this was one episode I did not see when it originally aired. I don't remember when the first time I saw it was, but most likely when USA started airing reruns, the year after MV was cancelled? If not then, then probably a few years later when the cable network fx started showing it.

Anyway, this episode has always shocked me! :eek: The subject matter and storyline are WAY before their time, and would have been very controversial in 1985! I cannot believe that NBC would not allow "Too Much Too Late" to be aired during last season (almost 3 years after this)...but yet allowed "Junk Love" to air?? ?( I mean, both episodes have sad, tragic, and perverted-sick plot lines.

A drug addicted mother agreeing to let her daughter be used for sex in exchange for drugs ("Too Much") is bad enough...however, we never actually saw the daughter being raped. But, a father continually having a sexual relationship with his daughter...and you continually saw him all over her and making out with her--that's just NASTY!! :sick: It just surprises me that this one was allowed...but "Too Much" was not.

But, I also find this kind of episode in the time it was done (80's) somewhat captivating...just because the writers at least attempted to delve into a tragic but realistic problem in some people's lives. The shocking and very abrupt ending, where you suddenly learn the whole reason behind Rosella's bizarre behavior and drug addiction, was again a Michael Mann trademark ending to an MV episode! 

Very well acted, awesome guest-stars (especially Miles Davis...aka Ivory Jones), awesome action & boat explosion, and a bizarre but head-turning plot...because of all this I originally rated this one a 7. Still stand by that. Not one of my favorites by any means...but still "interesting" and shocking to watch.

• 2 months later...

I watched Junk Love again the other day. The first time I found the episode very surprising and shocking. The second time I already knew the resolution, it was quite ok.

Surprisingly, now I really loved the episode and was very touched by it. Crockett's facial expression from the screenshot I posted fits it quite well. I let the episode sink in, thought about it a bit. And suddenly I had associations.
Rose, little rose, Rosella in Italian, Rosella's bodysuit that she wears when Silva comes to her, with the purple roses.
And then: "Heideröschen", the song by J.W. v. Goethe, set to music by Franz Schubert. It is very well known in German-speaking countries, every child used to learn it. The poem leaves room for a variety of interpretations, as simple and plain as it seems to be. (Even if it is certainly not about child abuse or incest.):

First German, then the English transition:

Sah ein Knab’ ein Röslein stehn,
Röslein auf der Heiden,
War so jung und morgenschön,
Lief er schnell es nah zu sehn,
Sah’s mit vielen Freuden.
Röslein, Röslein, Röslein roth,
Röslein auf der Heiden.

Knabe sprach: ich breche dich,
Röslein auf der Heiden!
Röslein sprach: ich steche dich,
Daß du ewig denkst an mich,
Und ich will’s nicht leiden.
Röslein auf der Heiden.

Und der wilde Knabe brach
’s Röslein auf der Heiden;
Röslein wehrte sich und stach,
Half ihm doch kein Weh und Ach,
Mußt’ es eben leiden.
Röslein auf der Heiden.

Literal translation:
Once a boy saw a little rose standing,
Little rose of the field,
It was so young and beautiful,
He dashed there quickly to see it near,
Beholden with abundant joy,
Little rose, little rose, little rose red,
Little rose of the field.

The boy then said: "I shall pick thee,
Little rose of the field."
The little rose said: "I shall stick thee,
That thou'lt always think of me,
And, I'll not want to suffer it."

Still the rough boy picked the rose,
The little rose fought thus and pricked,
No prose of pain could help her/him,
Alas, it must suffer it yet.

Translations of poems are difficult. In this case especially. In German, the third stanza does not say whether the text refers to the boy or the rose/girl.
The boy could have gotten his way. Or the girl could have successfully defended herself.

I don't think Junk Love is a direct adaptation of this poem. But Michael Mann might have known it. After all, he lived in Europe for a few years and studied literature. Similarities in theme and mood are there to me anyway: Rosella as a victim and defensible.

And this is how the song sounds sung (with English subtitles). A very different music than nowadays:
"Röschen" (literally little rose, Rosella) is translated in this translation sometimes with sprout, sometimes with floret, rose or heathrose. I find that a little pity, but otherwise it is very accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XCPTYNHEHI

This is an example of what happens when I watch a "totally superficial" (irony off) episode of Miami Vice. I´m deeply touched and often find connections to other books, films, artwork...

Edited by Glades
  • Like 1

What is most impressive is the great acting from Ely Pouget and Jose Perez, the father daughter relationship is so convincing. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I watched "Junk Love" again today after a long time. Since I saw it in German, I'm not quite sure if the dialogues were translated one to one. So it's quite possible that I mention something and you don't know what I mean. 
Tubbs goes to a brothel as a supposed customer and skirmishes a bit with Ivory Jones, overheard by Switek and Zito, who worries about where Tubbs has hidden the listening device ... just in case he has to take his clothes off.
Luckily, the bitey Rosella comes into play before that.
She doesn't seem very believable to me in many ways. She plays a drug addict in withdrawal, but is far too quiet. I saw someone in alcohol withdrawal a long time ago in a home where I worked. I think drug withdrawal, even if she was given medication in the hospital, looks different.
Okay, maybe they didn't want to show that so clearly in a series like MV, but a little more shaking or sweating would have been in there for sure.
One question I asked myself: Rosella running away, hiding from Silva. And he didn't get the idea to look for her in the establishment of his old friend Ivory Jones, too?

What also struck me was Tubb's cynicism and lack of empathy. Everyone could see that Rosella was not well when she spoke of Silva. Even to someone who didn't know the end of the story, it was obvious that something was up. Tubbs, however, only saw her as the spoiled brat who wanted to get one over on her lover. That's not like him. I think so, anyway.
As for the ending, Castillo had contact with Tubbs and he could have told him where he and Crockett were. Trying to rush to their aid would have added some tension to the story.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2009 at 2:51 PM, Matt5 said:

I would rate it 7 - the Marina Boat Auction is quite funny and I enjoyed Miles Davis as the gruff assistant to C&T.The female lead was hot at the party scenes and didnt think much to the JH score in this episode but the addition to "Slave to Love " was great.

I agree with Matt5's review from 12 years ago. (Except that I like Hammer's music here.)  I always like to hear some Bryan Ferry and the auction scene was a suave highlight.  Rosella's plight is like something out of Greek tragedy.  This episode has grown on me since I first saw it. 

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Just watched this one again...still very tragic, disturbing, and very controversial/pushing the proverbial envelope for its day! But, the performances and acting were superb--especially by Jose Perez as Juan Carlos Silva, Ely Poutget as Rosella, and Miles Davis as Ivory Jones! This was a very ahead-of-its-time episode, and I'm surprised that NBC let this one air, but later refused "Too Much Too Late"? ?( Anyway, there's two things I thought I'd mention this time around...first is I think that (character speaking) Silva & Rosella look too close in age to be father and daughter. Even if he got her mother pregnant when he was young, he still doesn't look old enough to be her father, in my opinion...maybe 5-7 years apart at best. ;) But, the acting was so good that I guess you just go with it. Second, is a question...did Rosella actually or really end up shooting Silva at the end? Even with the famous Michael Mann "blunt-ending", we still aren't shown one way or the other. In "No Exit" we at least hear Rita's shot as it freeze-frames...but here, it just shows Rosella raising her gun with her line. 

JL.jpg.8c775a34238a700b3948df5477b7173c.jpg

JL2.jpg.9b88fb5c3d3f9150b9845b3e10f95b8c.jpg  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

the more i watch that episode the more i think it belongs to the series masterpieces. Ely Pouget is very convincing. José Pérez does a great acting performance too. even if i find his face a bit 'too sympathetic' for the job lol

• Like 1

• 2 months later...