Episode #28 "Junk Love"

Ferrariman

9/10I really like this episode. Love Hammer's music as usual. I think it sets the mood so well in the first two season. Amazing twist at the end. I think with Miami Vice, it really departed conventional tv with some of these stories. I can remember at the time feeling like you'd see stories on MV that you hadn't seen before. That seems rare , doesn't it?I don't really get why Tubbs was sympathetic to the junkie in "Little Prince", but here's he's the cynical one.

I'm in agreement with some others here, I both like and dislike the episode.Would anyone else agree - especially considering some latter S2 episodes - that this ep. was probably the beginning of darker MV that went on from S3 to the end. It had some music but it wasn't the usual S1 score and it was far too gloomy and all that, I guess I'll just stick to forever being a fan of the 1st season.

I would rate it 7 - the Marina Boat Auction is quite funny and I enjoyed Miles Davis as the gruff assistant to C&T.The female lead was hot at the party scenes and didnt think much to the JH score in this episode but the addition to "Slave to Love " was great.

I don't think it was the beginning of darker episodes, i think they were always there. The difference was later on there were no lighter moments, and the music was not as prominent.

• 1 year later...

This one doesn't get much replay from me, due to the subject matter.With that said, it's a decent episode.Wonder what happened to the actress that played Rosella, very beautiful girl. Plus I love her name, Ely Pouget.

• 2 months later...

This episode was average by the Season and above average for the show overall. I'd give it a 6 (6.5 if we were able to use fractions).This episode contained one of Sonny's best lines "The key to success Rico in both women and money is knowing when to quit....I should know. I'm divorced and broke." I feel you Sonny!

• 10 months later...

On the one hand everybody is right when he/she says that Junk Love isn't the best episode of the second season, but on the other hand this episode shows one of the most abysmal and controversial topics of the whole series!!!:o:hot: :clap::clap:Nobody supposes that Silva is Rosella's father. I thought he is her pander, her dealer etc., but defininetly not her father...:hot:Due to the fact that VICE shows this topic forthrightly, Junk Love deserves in my opinion at least 9 points!!!:clap::thumbsup:In Junk Love I like Sonny's worried side. It is interesting that Sonny is much more worried about Rosella than Rico or Castillo. This difference is very important to understand the characters. Sonny always plays the tough guy, but in reality he is a very sweet-tempered man. Rico and Castillo are more sceptical and try to behold the cases objectively.According to this, Castillo's look inside the sickroom says more than a tousand words...:cool:Moreover I love the party scene with Slave To Love by Bryan Ferry. :radio::happy:Both Sonny and Rico are fantastically dressed: Rico wears a black dinner jacket with bow tie and Sonny wears a dark blue jacket with a silk revers.:glossy:The end of the story is very cruel - but VICE style: Silva gives his daughter the gun and she shoots him. Here, the audience' opinion is split. Is Rosella's act justified or not???Insofar I think Junk Love is better than it looks at the first sight. The storyline is depressing, the style is wonderful and all three songs are perfectly.:radio:9 of 10 points.

• 4 months later...

I havent seen this episode in a while because i always fall to sleep on the couch watching it, so I gave this episode a shot last night, and its just awful. It is actually more boring than "The Maze", it lacks tempo and focuses too much on that sad lady. The only good thing with this episode is Tubbs attitude. I cant believe people have rated this to 8 and 9s - in that case "Prodigal son" and The home invaders" are near 25.I will not watch this episode again, its a waste of time.

The main reason this episode fails is the miscasting of Rosella. That girl cannot act. It's a shame because this episode was written by Julia Cameron who is the author of The Artist's Way, which is a great book for stimulating creativity.

• 3 months later...

What can I say, I liked this episode for some reason. Even though I had hard time not focusing on the fact that the Miracle Man was in this episode. Music is great (using Slave to Love in this episode is really great) and there's a few great scenes. Even though the story might be dragging at some points, I must take my hat off for producers of Miami Vice to use such a controversial matter in one of its earlier episodes.8/10

• Like 1

Well! the season 1 and season 2 are my absolute favorite seasons , the seasons , i find to embody the 80 years especially:thumbsup: in the us. I had see the serie in tv of west germany , i come from the country (gdr) german demokratic republic, my home .i has live on the borderline to west germany . i can see the serie anyway . i find the story good :thumbsup: on that account i give 10 points:thumbsup:

• 10 months later...

Although I saw more of the first two seasons of "MV" during its original run, this was one episode I did not see when it originally aired. I don't remember when the first time I saw it was, but most likely when USA started airing reruns (probably the first cable network to do so?) the year after "MV" was cancelled. If not then, then probably a few years later when the cable network fx started showing it.Anyway, this episode has always shocked me! :eek: The subject matter and storyline are WAY before their time, and would have been very controversial in 1985! I cannot believe that NBC would not allow "Too Much Too Late" to be aired during last season (almost 3 years after this)...but yet allowed "Junk Love" to air?? What the heck!! :confused:I mean, both episodes have sad, tragic, and sick (& we're not talkin' the flu here folks ;) ) plotlines. A drug addicted mother agreeing to let her daughter be used for sex in exchange for drugs ("Too Much") is bad enough...however, we never actually saw the daughter being raped. But, a father continually having a sexual relationship with his daughter...and you continually saw him all over her and making out with her--that's just NASTY!! :sick: It just surprises me that this one was allowed...but "Too Much" was not. If anything, both of these episodes could have been refused by NBC.But, I also find this kind of episode in the time it was done (80's) somewhat captivating...just because the writers at least attempted to delve into a tragic but realistic problem in some people's lives. The shocking and very abrupt ending, where you suddenly learn the whole reason behind Rosella's bizarre behavior and drug addiction, was again a Michael Mann trademark ending to an "MV" episode.Because of all this I rated this one a 7. Not one of my favorites by any means...but still "interesting" and shocking to watch.

• 2 months later...

Good ep. 7/10The ending is perfect vice. Incest, Scarrab, Yachts, Robert Plant, and one of the many shock endings, so everything you need to enjoy MV:pThe theme is a bit wierd but It feels at home in Vice, I'd rather see the team do something relevant instead of voodoo or trudy moping around for a whole episode.

Good ep. 7/10The ending is perfect vice. Incest' date=' Scarrab, Yachts, Robert Plant, and one of the many shock endings, so everything you need to enjoy MV:pThe theme is a bit wierd but It feels at home in Vice, I'd rather see the team do something relevant instead of voodoo or trudy moping around for a whole episode.[/quote']Definitely one of the more shocking themes and endings...I cannot believe that they allowed this one but removed "Too Much Too Late". :rolleyes: But, definitely bizarre enough to be captivating. I enjoyed this one well enough.However, voodoo is still much more captivating, suspenseful, and eerie to watch than incest. :eek::p

Definitely one of the more shocking themes and endings...I cannot believe that they allowed this one but removed "Too Much Too Late". :rolleyes: But' date=' definitely bizarre enough to be captivating. I enjoyed this one well enough.However, voodoo is still much more captivating, suspenseful, and eerie to watch than incest. :eek::p[/quote']Maybe you should watch something like X-files or twilight zone instead then :p

Definitely one of the more shocking themes and endings...I cannot believe that they allowed this one but removed "Too Much Too Late". :rolleyes: But' date=' definitely bizarre enough to be captivating. I enjoyed this one well enough.However, voodoo is still much more captivating, suspenseful, and eerie to watch than incest. :eek::p[/quote']
Maybe you should watch something like X-files or twilight zone instead then :p
No' date=' those two topics/subjects/plotlines are totally different. "X-Files" is more along the lines of "Missing Hours"...with a bunch of alien crap. :evil: "Twilight Zone" is more about the ultimate bizarre, if-you-will. Both...[b']fake! ;) All the alien crap is stupid to me :sick: (my opinion) but some of the old "Twilight Zones" are pretty cool. :cool: Just not that scary or disturbing to me...because they are so fake and obvious that they would never happen. Voodoo...whether I believe in it or not, is real. It's practiced and its rituals carried out usually with black magic and harming someone, or confrontation in mind. People take it very seriously and it's much more disturbing and eerie to me...therefore it's much more captivating in a TV show or movie because it's realistic. :done:

fake! ;) All the alien crap is stupid to me :sick: (my opinion) but some of the old "Twilight Zones" are pretty cool. :cool: Just not that scary or disturbing to me...because they are so fake and obvious that they would never happen. Voodoo...whether I believe in it or not, is real. It's practiced and its rituals carried out usually with black magic and harming someone, or confrontation in mind. People take it very seriously and it's much more disturbing and eerie to me...therefore it's much more captivating in a TV show or movie because it's realistic. :done:

sure:)

Great episode - great locations and the woman was very attractive . Of course the male lead turned up as Miracle Man in Season 5.:thumbsup::shout::D

Great episode - great locations and the woman was very attractive . Of course the male lead turned up as Miracle Man in Season 5.:thumbsup::shout::D

I agree...attractive woman. Sad, confused, drug-addicted woman...but still beautiful non-the-less. Even though the subject matter in this one is beyond sick :sick::eek: ...I actually still prefer the dude as this psycho-sicko, incestuous drug dealer than Miracle Man. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Just looking at responses, you can see how even if a story doesn't grab you, Vice could score points with its style. That's pretty much where I'm at. There are some good scenes here. The "four letter word for dirt" bit always gets me. The auction & party scenes are nice. My problem is I vividly remember this episode when it originally aired & can never forget the surprise ending. Therefore, I'm disgusted through big sections of the episode. Some good things here so for me it's a 5.

There were down endings in season 1 but in season 2, they seemed to multiply. There were endings like this & the one in Buddies & then quite a few suicides. At the time, I just thought they couldn't come up with anything.

• 7 months later...

I really like this episode even though it's very sad.  Great tunes in it, though... I love Wang Chung's "True Love" and Robert Plant's "Little By Little" especially!  I love "Little By Little" more than any Zeppelin tune.  That song has so much emotion and atmosphere in the music and vocals!  I recently picked up the 12" single!

8/10 for me.

• Like 1