Episode #27 "Buddies"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...

I didn't remember this episode that much, but now that I've concentrated on it for this review, I must rate it a 9...for the acting. DJ puts a lot of feeling in this episode. Sonny & Tubbs have some heated discussion about friendship & it not clouding your judgement. Man, I dig Sonny's blue shoes that match his shirt! Cool! His white suit & pastel blue & pink tie makes me want to find one for me! When Robbie starts up his Corvette, it sounds puny, then Sonny starts the Ferrari & it roars! Varrrooom!! Good gun fights in this one. I liked the priest pouring the water on the baby & then the fade to Crockett refreshing his face with water. His thinking was being - Reborn! Too bad Robbie had to die, he & Sonny had such a good rapport! Very enjoyable episode that I will watch again! Many comments on this episode made me change my opinion that Robbie died. It looked like he was shot in the shoulder, so it wasn't a fatal wound.

• Like 1

• Administrators

10 all the way for me.DJ and jan hammer really deliver on this one.where's the poll?

It's coming, it's coming!Sorry, Tony was a little early for me this time. :eek:10 for me. One of the series best!

What I like in particular about this episode is the psycho-drama, and the fact that this is an episode of emotional depth. Crockett and Robbie's relationship was particularly strong because it was forged during Vietnam, when they had to rely on each other to survive. That's why Crockett was particularly hurt when Robbie had kept the truth from him. James Remar did a good job of acting the part of someone who's caught in the middle between the expectations of the criminal family he's grown into, and his conscience.I too wondered what happened to Robbie. You never get to find out whether he lives or dies, I think the script writer probably wanted to convey the idea that he survived though by Crockett's statement "you'll be ok". DJ delivers this line with belief, so I guess we have to assume that as Crockett was confident that he would survive, then he did actually survive. It would have been good to have had a follow up episode later on at some point though, not only to confirm this but also to deal with the issue of how Robbie managed to avoid getting into trouble with Doss and Cannata. You would think that if Crockett and Robbie were such great mates then it would have been realistic for him to show up in a later episode. Such an episode would have been excellent for Season 4, when the scriptwriters appeared to run out of ideas for storylines!This episode is also the first one where you hear the Jan Hammer "Forgive us our debts"/"Deliver us from evil" music. Thought that music always sounded particularly dark, but still good. I love Jan's music in particular though during the sequence where the two hit men come after Dorothy the first time at 14:51. This is actually my favourite scene, and the music goes well with the action scene of Crockett diving to the kerb while shooting the hitmen's car. PMT and DJ must have been in good condition at the time cos I'm the same age now as they were then and I couldn't pull off a roll like that anymore!I thought Morti Lang (definately not a funny way to die) was a bit stupid moving in to kiss someone he's trying to rape while they're holding a massive knife in their hand at the time. He could have got stabbed by accident, just by pushing his body against hers if nothing else!I thought DJ looked the coolest he's ever done in this episode.Crockett was clearly angry at being deceived by Robbie, and I thought it was interesting how Tubbs says to Crockett "I'm just here to tell you that you're not the first cop who's friend held out on him.... work it out". By this I assume that Tubbs is referring to Crockett's reluctance to discuss Mike Orgell in "Evan". This was Tubbs' way of saying "Now you know how it feels".This episode also illustrates something which often happens in Vice, but would never happen in real life, the fact that a cop is allowed to pursue a case that involves someone with whom they have a personal involvement. In reality they wouldn't be allowed anywhere near the case. The only exception to this would be "The Dutch Oven", where Trudy was already on the inside, and by that point her involvement was integral to the case. Of course as we all know, a cop having a personal involvement in the case is what creates the drama!In summary this is a very good episode, with a solid storyline. I'll say 8 out of 10.By the way, who voted a "1" for this episode???

• Like 2

Buddies is a terrific episode. Style, imagery, music are the faultless and it has a top notch story too.First things first, I absolutely love the intro. Two great songs('Go For A Soda' and 'Sweet Soul Music') and I just love the whole sequence. Sonny and Robby's chemistry, the barman commenting on Robby gulping down three shots and the altercation Robby gets into when he dances on the pool table like a moron. Great sequence. One of my favourite intros on the show. Heart of Darkness, Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Red Tape and Hard Knocks are others. James Remar was great as always. It made a change seeing him play something of a weakling as he usually plays tough guys, like in The Warriors and 48 HRS. I also liked his portrayal of Dutch Schultz in The Cotton Club.The girl who played Dorothy Bane was pretty bad though. She made Saundra Santiago seem like Meryl Streep. And, maybe he did at the time, but now Nathan Lane doesn't convince as an attempted rapist. I liked Ample Annie. She's a better character and comic relief than her idiotic husband. Frank Military did a very good job with the script for this episode. He was an excellent Vice writer. This ep has invited comparasions with Evan but I don't think it's too much like it. It's a more conventional episode than Evan I think. And Sonny had fallen out with Evan, not with Robby so it was different in that respect. There's a lot of powerful scenes, like the baptism, Sonny manhandling the abusive husband and his confrontation with Robby. As for the ending, it is a bit of a stretch how Sonny got there in the nick of time. And I don't think Robby died. I'd like to think he didn't. He had a child to support and he was quite a good guy. Sonny and Robby's big confrontation was a great scene. Very well written and both actors were excellent. There's a bit of a problem with this ep and it's that there some major plot holes. There is no way Robby or the hit squad could've known that Dorothy was at Annie's place. Robby didn't even know Annie so how could he have known? And Sonny should've believed Robby when he said he didn't know anything about Cannata trying to kill Dorothy. He genuinely didn't know anything about it. He never talked to his father or had anything to do with his business. So how could he have known they had a contract on Dorothy? But these plot holes are only a minor complaint and they can be overlooked. The climax was terrific. Great chase sequence and a great song in 'No Guarantees' by The Nobodys. And I loved the Jan Hammer tune that was later re-used in Forgive Us Our Debts. Excellent ep. One of the best of season two. 9/10

• Like 1

Great episode with the only downside being the acting by the woman playing Dorothy Bane. The music is fabulous - can anyone tell me the name of the piece by Jan Hammer which comes on when Dorothy is with her baby then walking with the bag down the street (it's wonderfully atmospheric). One of my favourite episodes of season 2. 9/10

This is one of my season 2 favourites.The opening makes you understand how close Sonny and Robbie are, especially after Robbie asks Sonny to be his son’s godfather.Annie is so cute and sweet with her advice on babies and when she gives the offer to babysit.I agree on the fact that the acting by “Dorothy†is quite poor. Still, the scene with Dorothy walking with the bag to the closed-down hotel is touching, I can feel a mother worried about her son’s safety and I also like the shot of the area.The scene of confrontation between Crockett and Robbie is absolutely brilliant, second only to Evan.All is emphasized by the great car chase with “No Guarantees†in the background and there’s a little humour in seeing Annie’s scared face when she’s in Crockett’s car.Last, I don’t think Robbie dies, all in all he’s a good guy, so I’d like to think he’s back to his family with a sense of pride for what he did.10/10 with a special mention to Annie.

This is a good episode but no "Evan" - didn't quite get the Sonny/Robbie friendship and he comes across as slightly wimpish before the end. Overall though an 8

Guest neworder

Not that long ago I detested this episode, well not detest but thought it was the worst episode of Season 2 and accordingly I rated it as a 6 on .org the first time i reviewed it.This opinion has changed substantially...of course. Buddies is an episode with strong emotion, Crockett is going through a clear dilemma, and Don Johnson acts extremely well. Jan Hammer's score is on top form, one piece that isn't shouted about too much is when C&T go to Dorothy's hotel and have the mini shoot out, love that Hammer tune, a possible cover maybe Dadrian if your reading??? lol . Other music is fantastic too.This episode showcases Don Johnson at one of his best performances as Crockett. However, the reason why i've rated this episode an 8 instead of a 9 is that the story does take it's sweet time to get going after the credits and i'm not keen on Noogie's wife...could be worse though, they could've got noogie to come back I suppose.An episode with fantastic acting, a good story even though it takes ages to get going and showcases some of Hammer's best tunes, a great episode and I swear I will never slag it off like I did way back on .org ever again.8/10

• 2 weeks later...

I grade this story just barely with a 7. I found it just focused too much on a runaway mother with her baby. Not the typical case the Vice squad would usually be concerned with, and I found it didn't befit the show's style very well.

One of the series finest episodes in my opinion. This was where I first really took notice of who would become one of my favorite actors, James Remar, as his performance as Robert was stellar as was Johnson who was at the top of his game here. The music choices such as the opening "Go For Soda" and "No Guarantees" were perfect. The latter helped make the finale one of the series best. A perfect 10/10.

Edited by agent 47
New review due to Blu-ray viewing.

• 3 weeks later...

I was impressed at this ep. Sonny's hair and clothes and general look are cool throughout. Even the matching blue t-shirt and shoes amused me!Great opening sequence - got me hooked immediately and for a second I thought Robbie was going to get blown away before we even had a chance to know him. I really like the friendship these two have and it helps build Sonny's character and background through the history they've had together. The 'do what's right' importance to Sonny and where he learnt it comes through strongly in one or two scenes.DJ acts very well throughout this ep - from the warmth for his old friend when he asks Sonny to be the Godfather to his son, to the obstinate resilience with which he confronts Tubbs for some time over Robbie being his friend, to the dread with which he watches the video in the OCB which has captured Robbie at the club, to the absolute relief that Robbie finally chose to do the right thing and that no-one he cared about was mortally wounded in the process. Also some intense scenes with the roughing-up of the husband at OCB and again later with Robbie himself. The actor playing Robbie also did a good job I thought of tussling with his conscience throughout the ep.Liked that comedian's apartment even though he did turn out to be an idiot. The green carpeting was funky.Gina in the club just didn't look right - the expression was too obvious - would've liked to see her smiling for a second and playing the part before we see her get serious - if only for my own pleasure...(!)I reviewed another Season 2 ep recently where I made the point that had this been Season 3 I think we would have seen a darker ending - here I think we might have seen Robbie or the girl get killed. I do prefer the darker endings but I'm beginning to think that having the lighter endings at the moment in Season 2 is the right thing to do. It makes Season 3 darker and gives a clearer comparison between the two - it's almost like the thought occurs in the back of the head that 'boy that was close but how long can his luck hold out?' or 'isn't it just a matter of time before things start getting a lot tougher for Sonny?'. Season 2 I used to think was just light, but now I'm beginning to think that it was intentionally beginning to prepare us for something much darker. Eps like Out where the buses and Payback also add credibility to this theory I think.A strong 8 out of 10 from me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Decent season 2 episode. 8/10. Lowpoint is the female guest. I don't know where they got her, but she's speaking english as her second language, and she can't act.I think Tubbs jumped on Crockett too quickly. I feel much the same with his behaviour in "Evan".Good tunes by Hammer, a couple of which come back later in the series.

I like this episode too, as I started to rewatch season 2 I can say it really started strong, I just wonder what the heck happened towards the end with some silly episodes, anyway most good points were already mentioned.The actress that played the young mom I guess was selected on an account of here naive looks, and the way she spoke *shudders*, basically a bimbo, they had to make it beliveable she'd find herself in a situation that she was in.Having said that I thought Crockett would pull a gun on her sleazy husband, or atleast slap him silly hehe he still got what he deserved.Robbie was a very good character, they could've atleast had some sort of mention of him again, but oh well ... in his defense, he tried to get out of impossible situation, it's hard to say what anyone else could do, I don't really blame him. I also thought Tubbs was pushing it a bit with him, but as it would happen he was right in the end, he just could've dealt with - Crockett atleast bit easier, I thought they'd get in an argument or something. The whole episode could've gone on a couple minutes longer showing them arrest the mobsters and Robbie getting a clean slate. I guess it's left to imagination.Great music overall and DJs stellar performance make this a great viewing pleasure.

• 1 month later...

The episode was alright, but it definitely is not one of the best from season two. This one just does not stand out for me like some of the others do. It ranks as a 4 at best.

• 3 months later...

Just watch this episode again and noticed one funny thing...when C&T visit Annie at her burger stand they both...or especially tubbs looks like 4 times at Annies assets while she is bending over the desk..... haha it's so obvious that it get's embarrasing :) but I dont blame them ;)

• 5 months later...

One of the best season 2 eps.Great acting, music. Classic Vice Style. Don Johnson looked great in his white armani blazer. (I need to get one this summer).I can watch this ep. over and over again.

• 2 weeks later...

I know several like this episode, but to me it just wasn't that cool. "Buddies" just didn't "do" much for me. It had some cool scenes for sure--I especially love the "No Gaurantees" by The Nobodys!! That was a superb song, and for the episode! To be honest that was probably my favorite part and the reason I'll watch it with the others when viewing my DVD sets.But, the rest of it wasn't that good to me. I did like DJ's acting with the realization of his friend deceiving him all those years...but other than that the rest just wasn't that captivating or memorable. Because of the "No Gaurantees" song and some acting by DJ--I did give it a 6.

• 1 month later...

Great work by DJ and James Remar, along with an epic score by Jan Hammer. Like others have mentioned, the actress that played Dorothy was quite bad, but didn't ruin the episode.Always feel bad for that poor kid being schleped around in that bag for most of the hour.

Edited by MrsEvanFreed

• 3 months later...

Bartender: "I don't want to see yous two in here again!"Sonny: "Yeah, yeah we love you too."Classic Sonny. So who gave this episode a 1? I gave it a 9. The Noog man's gotta give some love to his woman even though she's not the strongest actress. Interesting to see Nathan Lane as a heterosexual who beats his woman...interesting cause it couldn't be farther from reality.I think Tony said Robbie died at the end which he did not (if it wasn't Tony that said it, I apologize but I seem to remember him saying that in his review). At the end, Crockett said "you'll be alright" just before the credits clicked on. I loved the music all around. The only weak part of the episode is the very end after Crockett takes out 3 guys, the last one on a turnaround blast. Within two seconds Tubbs calls out and comes in right where the last corpse lay. That was weak and not needed, but I'll overlook it as a technical error. Otherwise this was a superior effort and got a 9 in my book.

• 8 months later...
Buddies is one of the best episodes of Season 2 and in my opinion one of the best of the complete show!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:The story is incredibly deep-going and emotional - Sonny is in a personal conflict with his old friend Robbie who blunders into illegal activities of his father.I love each episode wherein a protagonist comes into personal conflict with the case.:happy:Buddies is carried by Donnie's outstanding performance, you don't know whether he acts or not - you have the feeling that each emotion is real!!:clap::clap::happy:Especially the scene in Robbie's office when Sonny discuss with him is excellent. This scene only lives on dialogues - like an intimate play. Also mentionable is James Remar who is able to hold a candle to Don.Interesting is that the episode completely focuses on Sonny's personal conflict, only secondary on the Dorothy-Bane-storyline.I think that's not bad - that's characteristic of VICE!!!:happy:As always style and music are wonderful: interior design and fashion is eye candy (Sonny wears blue slippers) and Jan Hammer excels himselft with his unreleased Piano Theme - one of his best tracks I think.:radio::happy:Unfortunately Own the Night by Chaka Khan is played shortly because it's a cool song. No Guarantees by The Nobodys makes the last scenes perfectly!10 of 10 points!

• 8 months later...

I really like this episode. Even though it's a bit similar with Evan and probably isn't as good, it's still one of the best in season 2. Of course it helps that James Remar is in it. I think that JR is an underrated actor and in this episode he's not just playing his usual stuff, but show that he can cry too. :)Mostly the actors are bringing their A-game in this episode though I must admit that Dorothy Bain and Ample Annie are the weak links. No Guarantees is also a very good song by an unknown band The Nobodys.9/10