Episode #27 "Buddies"

Ferrariman

11 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

We will agree to disagree. The part was actually (in my view as a writer) very will-written. It kept Noogie's basic character, but had him connect with Dorothy based on his experiences with Annie's sister and her abusive relationship (and the way it's written you can see this surprises Noogie as well...forcing him to grow...Frank Military has always been good at this as a writer, honestly...consider Little Miss Dangerous). As for the whole connecting as a woman thing with Annie...I don't buy it. There was never anything in her character that suggested she'd really do anything for anyone but herself. But again, to each their own. You enjoyed her performance, I found it flat, trite, and unconvincing.

I fully respect your point of view, but let's face it the character Annie was just plot device as the main focus was on Robbie and Dorothy's unfortunate situation. It's just a simple case for Dorothy who is all alone bonding with a girl she met and Annie was clearly a nice person to talk to. Annie was an uncomplicated input.

I don't know the idea of Noogie in "Buddies" which is one of my favorites would have tainted the seriousness of it. 

We will agree to disagree :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Buddies is one of my favorites as well. Never cared for Annie, and having read the draft just reinforces that opinion. Honestly, I would have been happy if they'd have gotten rid of the whole baby angle completely (there could have been other ways to work the balance sheet stuff in) and focused more on the relationship between Robbie and Sonny. There was serious potential here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

I do like Noogie's character in a comical way, which we only see anyway:) he was great in "Cool Runnin" and in "Give a Little, Take a Little" he basically saved Gina with his info.

I can understand if it was written into Izzy's character because you can sense a serious side to him, there isn't one episode in season 1 to suggest that Noogie has any level of maturity or responsibility. Just because you write something so different into a character it doesn't mean that it's suited to his character and you have to accept it just because its written, that would be out of character. It's like if there was an episode where Castillo is laughing all the time and telling jokes.

20 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I fully respect your point of view, but let's face it the character Annie was just plot device as the main focus was on Robbie and Dorothy's unfortunate situation. It's just a simple case for Dorothy who is all alone bonding with a girl she met and Annie was clearly a nice person to talk to. Annie was an uncomplicated input.

I don't know the idea of Noogie in "Buddies" which is one of my favorites would have tainted the seriousness of it. 

We will agree to disagree :thumbsup:

I fully agree. There is never any episode that even implies that Noogie could be mature, responsible, or even sane. Izzy, or Annie had some seriousness & even caring sides to them...but Noogie was pure spaz. He was nothing but annoying (and sometimes even unnecessary) to me. :rolleyes:

Trying to make him be caring or serious, I do not believe would have worked at all. I think it would have “lessened” or “lowered” the quality of the episode. Comparing that to Castillo suddenly being a goofy jokester is a perfect analogy...it just wouldn’t work, lol! :) It’s way too out of character.

I also agree that really, the main focus of the episode was the complicated friendship between Crockett & Robbie....and Dorothy trying to stay alive & save her baby (which both tied in with each other). Annie was not the main focus, but was the caring female that realized Dorothy needed help & was able to bond with her. Annie worked for what that part of the plot needed...and she worked perfectly. :clap:

This is one of my favorite episodes, too (although I love almost all episodes of Season 2)...and I wouldn’t change a thing! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

This is one of those episodes that kind of "grew" on me over the years. At first it was never really that great for me...it was okay, but nothing major or special. However, over time I've really come to enjoy it...understanding & appreciating both Robbie and Crockett's sides, and why they did what they did...the character depth. :clap: 

But, one aspect I've always loved, and that was the song "No Guarantees" by The Nobodys:radio: I may be wrong about this & thinking of a different song...but I'm pretty sure that up until not too long ago you couldn't find this song or the group's album (unless you went and maybe found a vintage record) anywhere. All I could find was an old original music video on YouTube. However, recently I discovered their album online & was finally able to download this song to my phone...so now another awesome MV tune to run to! :dance2:  I originally gave this episode a 6 back in the-day, when you could rate the episodes...but if I could, I'd bump it up to a 7-7.5! :thumbsup:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

This is one of those episodes that kind of "grew" on me over the years. At first it was never really that great for me...it was okay, but nothing major or special. However, over time I've really come to enjoy it...understanding & appreciating both Robbie and Crockett's sides, and why they did what they did...the character depth. :clap: 

But, one aspect I've always loved, and that was the song "No Guarantees" by The Nobodys:radio: I may be wrong about this & thinking of a different song...but I'm pretty sure that up until not too long ago you couldn't find this song or the group's album (unless you went and maybe found a vintage record) anywhere. All I could find was an old original music video on YouTube. However, recently I discovered their album online & was finally able to download this song to my phone...so now another awesome MV tune to run to! :dance2:  I originally gave this episode a 6 back in the-day, when you could rate the episodes...but if I could, I'd bump it up to a 7-7.5! :thumbsup:

Let’s go on and make it an 8 for Jan’s work on this one :) :thumbsup:

• Like 1