Episode #26 "The Dutch Oven"

Ferrariman

• 11 months later...

I really dig the color on the DVD! Trudy with her face paint. Really eye-catching! Great back up for Trudy from Sonny to Internal Affairs. I liked Adonis' acting. He was on Homicide-Life on the Street & Nash Bridges, also. My wife liked the dance scene on the boat, the best! "The King of Babylon". She said it looked like fun, although everyone was drugged-out! I feel Trudy did the right thing. She is a good cop & can't let drug dealers get away, even if they are friends. I rate this one 6 maybe, 7 !

My wife liked the dance scene on the boat' date=' the best! "The King of Babylon". [/quote']I agree, the best scene of the episode.

Nothing that special...especially since two of the last three episodes in Season 2 had been so good...I was thinking 6.5/10, but I didn't want to round it up to 7, so I have opeted for 6/10...that seems fairest. Its not really one I'd look forward to seeing again...

This ep gets off to a good start with an excellent intro. Music, optics and locations were all faultless. Excellent chase sequence too. And Trudy looks mighty fine, I must say. A very top notch intro. The storyline is good and executed well. Olivia gave a good performance. I really bought Trudy's torment and righteous indignation. There were some good scenes here and there. The scene with the hard pressing IA investigators was very. Good for Crockett not taking their crapola and sticking up for Trudy.The Kings of Babylon song sequence goes on for too long and is obviously there to fill some time in the episode. The same can be said for the second song montage. It's pretty irrelevant. It doesn't advance the plot and it seems kind of random, although i did really like the shots of Trudy going for a walk by the ocean.The ending is good. Overall a good episode and a solid episode for Trudy which gives her a chance to shine. Well directed by Abel Ferrera, a very good movie director. 7/10

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
Updated thoughts. Changed opinions
  • Like 1

• Administrators

One of the rare episodes focused on another crew member instead on Sonny and/or Rico. The story is another one about friendship, about personal conflicts, about the difficulties to combine job and private life ... Trudy does a great job but her boyfriend appears suddenly like a bottle ghost. He was never mentioned before in an episode, that makes his existence a little bit unbelievable.Nevertheless a good try: Seven Of Nine ... uhm ... 7 out of 10 :))

it has some good scenes that i really like, but still it's a weak ep for me.ferrariman once pointed out to me that the "king of babylon" guy is a.k.a. buster poindexter (remember the "hot, hot, hot" song?).

My favorite part is the teaser. It's awesome!I liked Crockett being cool when talking to INTERNAL AFFAIRS.I liked JAN HAMMER's score, and how he "bent the keys" on the keyboard for the shaking sound when Trudy's hands were shaking. Great Job by JAN!However, the "mad hatter" scene was just too long for me, and the long song with Trudy walking around trying to decide what to do just made it too slow for me to be truly great.When it's good, it's great, when it's slow, it's just way too slow to hold one's attention. Good idea for a story though.Saddly, I gave it 5 stars. There are better VICE episodes out there.

Guest neworder

The next 4 episodes are probably my most undecided episodes when it comes to ratings, i switch ratings frequently and views frequently. Anyway, fact is The Dutch Oven is one of the weaker season 2 eps but its still good. It deals with the lovely trudy, good intro with a nice car chase, some nice scenes here and there, some good music, crockett sporting some good clothes. I never knew this before but this was filmed after lombard in the season 1 run and now ive watched it knowing that you can tell from tubbs/crocketts hair being a little shorter. This episode however doesn't engage me though, it simply just introduces trudy and develops her character more, there's nothing really exciting and different. That said, style, some action and music are all on top form. For that reason im gonna give this episode 6.5/10

Also, Crockett is sporting the season one ROLEX, and not the season 2 EBEL watch, which shows it was filmed last in season one to get a jump start on season 2.

it has some good scenes that i really like' date=' but still it's a weak ep for me.ferrariman once pointed out to me that the "king of babylon" guy is a.k.a. buster poindexter (remember the "hot, hot, hot" song?).[/quote']Lol. I never knew that, or that he was also the lead singer in the New York Dolls!

High Points: You can actually skip it on the DVDs! Woo-Hoo!Low Points: This episode is still there!Bottom Line: Boring, Dull, poor use of David Proval, this is not a favorite of mine.Score: An all time low (so far) of 2 out of 10.

• Like 1

My review of Dutch Oven from the first time aroundWell This is one of my favorite episdoes for many reasons. Trudy in the Face Paint. The calm way Sonny instructed every one in telling them the drug deal was being ripped off and for everyone to hold. Tubbs will let them know. As for Trudy looking shocked at the chase, I think it was the first time she was in a chase in a car Sonny was driving! I'd probably look wild eyed too. David had to be whiny after all he was played by Slider's the Cryin' Man' - just kidding. I agree David was too whiney by half. I liked the card scene. Sonny really hates to lose doesn't he? kind of reflects his cop life, he plays to win. But why was he playing cards with those guys at the Imperial (at least that's what the sign said) anyway? And he was not undercover?Tthe lady seemed to know him and know he got official calls sometimes. What's with that? I really liked the support Sonny was trying to give Trudy and the way he admitted he had trouble with the same thing having friends who deal and use drugs and being a cop, except he admits he usually finds the line when he's over it. - I also like the way he brought Rico and Gina in on things after asking Trudy if he could. I liked the King of Babylon sequence, (Did I hear right at the begining of the song he says there's Drugs in the house?)and thought it reflected the party scene in the eighties (I don't know about Miami, but it certainly reflected some of the parties we were going to then. As for Trudy feeling uncomfortable about it, I don't blame her she's a cop after all, I felt uncomfortable and I'm not even a cop. She also explained to Sonny that she thought the amounts were too large and the parties were being used for distribution purposes. About the Shooting, Yeah I thought the guy was Rip Taylor!, The whole Pat Bennatar Diamond Filelds playing in the background of that chase set the mood well, not the words which I can't hear but the whole beat and drive of that particular music. It looks like Sonny was a little slow it's a good thing Trudy did shoot the guy. As for her shooting 4 times, I wonder if that's the way she was taught to shoot on the range. It seemed automatic for her to do 4 shots. Sonny usually shoots in bursts of three shots. Again we get to see Castillo support his people. He was truly concerned about Trudy and while he didn't make a speech like he does in 4th season vice when he's talking to Sonny, he does want her to come to grips with killing a human. It's interesting to note that later in 5th season Heart of Night, she tells Mei-ying that the Lt was there for her when she had her first shoot. IAD disgusts me more every time I see them (at least in Vice and Nash Bridges). Those two guys conducting the hearing just are going by an ideal, and really do 90% or whatever that unrealistic percentage was of cops not pull there guns and shoot if they're in an active unit pursuing crime? As Sonny said they're street cops, they have to defend themselves and their partners. The one part of the hearing I didn't like, was after Sonny states his support of Trudy, he walks out leaving Trudy alone with the two of them. I know he was angry,and disgusted but I thought he should have stuck around in the same room. The only thing I think would have been good about him walking out, was that that one IAD guy was concentrating too much on him when it was Trudy that he needed find out about. Maybe Sonny wanted to remove the attention from him and not taint Trudy with the prejudice and dislike of him, that would have been nice, but I don't really think that was why he walked out he had just had enough. About the Adonnis bust. I understand why they wanted to do it, but since this really began as Was David Dirty, or was it just his friends and how to handle it, I didn't think Crockett gave Trudy a graceful choice about the whole thing. Yeah he said Tubbs is right we got this guy (the Columbian) marked we'll find another way. and began to walk away. Trudy asked if this was a lock, but I don't see how they could have been sure Adonnis would roll over on a Columbian who probably had lots of fire power to kill him if he did. I liked the scene of Sonny watering Elvis while talking to Adonnis and his line about not handing over dead presidents and wait around for Adonnis to come back with the drugs. Again like everyone I enjoyed Sonny getting the coke thrown in his face, but wouldn't that have given him more trouble than it did. I mean OK some of it was mixed with powder, but a majority of it was still pretty pure, if nothing else getting even powder in your nose, eyes and throat would cause some kind of trouble, it didn't seem to slow Sonny down one bit. I really didn't understand the phrase David told trudy. "You have no soul no honor." If you ask me, he's the one that doesn't have a soul or honor. He admits that Adonnis isn't his best friend, and that the people at the drug parties aren't either, he's more concerned they won't trust him anymore since he had the trust of the people giving the parties not to cause trouble. Poor Trudy, alone again, but this guy wasn't right for her anyway, and I can't see that he really loved her if he can't accept who she is and her feelings. Again Gina comes up with the comment about relationships with anyone else when you're a cop isn't easy. Reminids me of what she told Sonny in the pilot. Lots of interaction between the squad, although Larry and Stan get a little slighted. Nice insight on relationship between Crockett and Trudy, Scene on the St. Vitus, Sonny telling IAD off, Trudy's walk on the beach with the montage of the episode showing in the background, The effect the shooting had on her when she and Gina were doing their routine job. (being rough with the older guy sleeze), Sonny getting Coke thrown in his face and pulling his holster from his ankle, Trudy being true to herself. 4/21/2009Just one more comment about the slow musical sequence where Trudy is walking and thinking about what she should do. Play it safe and not try and set up Adonis and go away with David to Jamaica for a vacation, or be true to herself and set up Adonis for dealing and be a team player and help Sonny and Rico get Adonis to Roll on a Big Columbian importer and Dealer. I think the sequence had to be that long to show what was at stake: Her relationship with David and everything that entailed, or Being the Cop she is and help get one more major dealer off the streets and being a team member with the Close OCB unit. I thought this sequence did a very good job of showing us Trudy's delema. It ran a montage of what had occured both at work and off the job, and I thought it was very effectively done. It's one of my favorite musical sequences because of the visuals and what it represented to me: Trudy really thinking about it and weighing her options and deciding which was more important to her.I have to give this episode an 8.5 as I said one of my favorite episodes. Since the poll doesn't do .5's I'll round it off to a 9.

I thought this was a great episode which continues the strength of Season 2. There was a lot of use of some good music in this episode, and the music of Vice for me is it's main strength. My favourite scene was "King of Babylon" party scene (very Miami Vice). I was angry with Men and Motors when they screened this episode though as they shaved down a lot of this scene, and cut out all the drug taking scenes within it, just so they could fit in more adverts for sex chatlines during the breaks! I also loved the dance music that David's band was playing when Trudy came in to have that conversation with Adonis (although it sounded suspiciously like Jan Hammer).What I never understood was why such a fuss was made of the fact that Trudy shot that "Charles Bronson meets Kidrock" lookalike at the beginning of the episode. Trudy and Crockett both identified themselves as cops, the bad guy started firing on them and Trudy clearly shot him in self defence. Yet if you go back to "Give a little, take a little" in Season 1, Trudy shot a guy in the back who was trying to escape from her whilst he was running away (and not firing at her). And neither her or any other member of the team identifyied themselves as cops. Yet nothing was ever said!? I guess maybe the fact that the guy in "Give a little take a little" didn't die made a difference.I have to agree with Nancy, Trudy believed that busting Adonis would create a sure fire way of Crockett and Tubbs taking down the Colombian, using charges against Adonis as leverage. However at the end of the episode Crockett and Tubbs tell Trudy that Adonis isn't co-operating. I would have thought that would have been a fairly obvious conclusion. Adonis may prefer jail time to getting murdered by a homicidal Colombian.One thing that was never made explicit was why Trudy and David's relationship had never worked out the first time. I got the impression though that it had been Trudy's decision to end it the first time and I sensed this was due to her being unable to commit to David in some way. Maybe because of the demands of her job?All in all I'll give this episode 8 out of 10.

If everyone gleaned as many little gems of enjoyment from the episodes as Nmathews, or Papa Legba & Tommy Vercetti, I might add, the scores would be a lot higher. After reading Nancy's reviews, in particular, I want to go back & watch the epidode again to see all the good stuff that I missed! Keep up the good reviews, Nancy! :clap::thumbsup:

Agent47 gave it a 2/10 and explained why...I see that there have been votes of 1, 3...I would like it if when people gave scores that didn't seem the norm, they would explain why...Although the scores are quite spread out for this episode, sometimes when the scores are predominantly one number, you then get someone scoring something completely different and yet there's no explanation given...It would be nice to have different opinions and explanations.

This episode is ok, but nothing that special. I also agree that Crockett did a good job of defending Trudy while she was being interviewed by internal affairs. The depiction of the relationship between Trudy and David is a good example of the difficulties that cops face in any relationship where you have one person who is a cop and the other who isn't. Most cops see things as black and white or right and wrong. While those who aren't cops tend to justify the illegal actions of those around them. I give this espisode a 6.

• 3 weeks later...

I just barely give this episode an 8. The beginning was pretty exciting. I suppose that's why I give this ep still a fairly high rating, lol. The rest was somewhat ho-hum I found.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a bad ep at all. I like these kinds of MV eps where they try to sketch some of the grey areas these cops have to grapple with. Reminded me a little of Streetwise from Season 3 from that point of view.The look on the kids' faces who were trying to get a session with Trudy/Gina, when Trudy asked them to pull over round the corner and they thought they were going to get what they wanted, was hilarious! Was that their dad driving them around? What kind of a sick weirdo was he?!I enjoyed the intensity Sonny had against IAD - both in the interview room with them and then afterwards with Trudy in the car. Interesting watching this now against the backdrop of recent cases like the high-profile De Menezes case in the UK - it reminds us again of the difficulties of chases in public using guns. And then Sonny shows us the other side of the table with his 'leads to fuzzy thinking' and the one call that had to be made.I also liked the line about being a cop from Trudy - 'not what I do... it's what I am' - reminiscent of something Castillo might say. Again though it reminds us of the difficulties touched on again and again in this ep about knowing where the line is and when it's been over-stepped.Also like the supportive nature of the team throughout the ep - from Gina asking Trudy if she wants someone to be with her tonight, and Sonny supporting her 100% from the get-go, to Sonny suggesting Trudy gets some back-up support on this case later and next thing Rico and the rest back at OCB are trying to help her out.Great light green T-shirt Sonny has on towards the end of this ep - some other great outfits throughout as well.I think 7.5 as a score, rounded to 7 for the poll as again I think 8 overscores it.

• 5 weeks later...

8/10.Good opening. I love Trudy's scared look as Crockett drives the Daytona.Giancarlo Esposito appears for the third time in about half a year, as another character. Then, never appears again.wow, lots of low scores for Miami Vice.

• 11 months later...

Part of me loved this episode...and part of me hates it.I really like "Dutch Oven" because it finally gives Trudy (Olivia Brown) a chance to shine--and if I remember right this is the episode that finally gave Trudy her last name: Joplin. Before her character didn't have one--as one was not really needed before as her character at first was not considered that important. But, with the internal affairs scenes a last name was needed...so for whatever reason they came up with Joplin.I love Trudy's wild punk face paint and hair at the beginning--and the action and car chase (with the slow motion of Trudy looking at Crockett like he was nuts for driving like that) was awesome!! I also love Olivia Brown's acting and her portrayal of how "Trudy" handled things. Very good! :thumbsup: I also love the wild party that her moron boyfriend takes her to--and the main singer and song "King of Babylon"!! Oh my gosh I laugh so hard everytime I watch that part that I better not have food or drink in my mouth at the time...or it'll be all over the TV screen. :) I don't think I could keep a straight face if I was at a party that had a singer like that. :DBut, other parts of this episode were sad and I felt terrible for Trudy...as her boyfriend (David??) was a total idiot and jerk! What the heck...you are dating a cop (and a Vice cop no less) and you take her to a party that you know is going to be wall-to-wall drugs?? Then you act like she's being rude when she wants to bust them? Okay...I think David was not only a jerk but a total dumb-a** as well! Hello, stupid! :rolleyes: The very end also left me irritated...when Trudy gets totally "slammed" and no one is around to encourage or support her! I wanted so bad for her to tell David how it really was...but she just stared at him. :(I liked much of this episode...but because of the goofy ending I gave it a 7.