Episode #26 "The Dutch Oven"

Ferrariman

The opening for this episode was great, love Trudie's face paint and wig. All the drama with IA was interesting, that should've been the main story.I hated the whole Adonis/David mess, Clevant Derricks is one of the worst Guest Stars ever. Plus David was an ****hole.For me, it would've been more interesting if the shooting incident gave way to a "close moment" between Crockett and Trudie.Just an unexpected lip lock, no sex.With them admitting to liking it, but agreeing that it can't EVER happen again. Due to Gina and their working relationship and friendship.I might be in the minority, but that's how I wish the writers had penned this one. Also hated how David got the last word in at the end. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I gave this a 7 even though the story line was kinda weak. I loved trudys face painting but I dont understand why she looked so scared in the car chase.. I would have had a BLAST :DI really liked Sonnys caring side in this ep. :-)

• 4 months later...

I agree with the lexikon: fabulous colours and locations, strong story, excellent style and music and worth seeing live-gigs of musicians!!!:clap::clap::happy:Unfortunately this is the first and last episode where Trudy plays the leading part because she's a very talented actress.The story is acutely multisided: it starts with a terrible incident - Trudy has to shoot a gangster. Thereupon they have serious problems with the Internal Affairs.In this context I love the scene where Sonny and Trudy discuss with the two Internal Affairs-officers. Donnie is in top form; he allows his charakter a brilliant emotional release. Sonny is right when he's angry about the approuch of the officers because they are not familiar with such a dangerous situation. Street cops like the OCB team have to decide in a split second how they act.:oIn the course of the episode, Trudy meets her old love David who has this dubious friend called Adonis.Trudy is stuck between a rock and a hard place because she knows when she arrests Adonis she will lose David.The episode ends in arrest of Adonis and the break of Trudy and David :hot::cry: - typically VICE...Colours and styles are here more than perfect!!!!:happy: Each room is extravagantly furnished - including neon-lights, wild pattern, cool clothes. Music is also fantastic: Diamond Fields by Pat Benetar, Who To Listen To by Amy Grant and Love Is For Sale by David Jackson are my favorites - fit perfectly to the scenes.:glossy::radio:Jan Hammer's Trudy-Score is also gorgeous.:radio:10 of 10 stars!

• 8 months later...

This episode is weak if you compare it to Abel Ferrara's other episode (The Home Invaders) and it ain't cool that you can clearly see that this one was shot at the same time as the last episodes of the first season. But still this episode has some good parts in it. The intro is really good and I laugh every time that I see Adonis throw the powder at Crockett's face. For once Sonny doesn't look that cool. Also David Proval is good as IAD officer and it would have been great if they would've used him again.One thing that really bothers me though is Giancarlo Esposito. I mean enough is enough. I like the guy but it's just ridiculous how often he was used in such a short time. Also that Luther character was too similar to Adonis.Also there was some major technical issues on DVD. The picture quality was really bad in some scenes and the audio track was out of synch with the picture for a long time.7/10

i find the episode good:thumbsup:, the story is for me realtime :),trudy heartstrings are absolutely to be confused about of the exchange of fire. how in few words a good story :clap:. i give 10 points

• 4 months later...
I thought this was interesting so I figured I would post the info. here (I also am adding it to my site) as others might find it interesting as well. The episode starts with Trudy doing her make up, getting ready to hit the mean streets of Miami Beach. From watching it on television I do not believe they make it clear that she is doing this in her apartment and not yet at work or at least I missed it. I was reading the script and the script states that this is taking place in her apartment and the script gives an interesting (I think so anyhow) description of her apartment. - “An airy flat near the water. From the decor of this place it would be impossible to guess that Trudy is a cop. Modern art*ala Basquiat, hardwood floors, baby grand piano. Musician maybe....but never a cop. Trudy starts in the kitchen sitting conspicuously alone, eating a simple dinner. One place setting, three other empty chairs around the table. Certain sense of isolation, of sanctuary. Of the perfect ability to stand competently and comfortably alone....but not necessarily want to be alone.†then it cuts to her going to her makeup table. I wish they had included this part where they show her apartment more as she was eating dinner before applying the makeup. That would have brought us more into her life imho.Eingefügtes Bild
  • Like 1

Very cool quote from the script. I love the attention to detail while describing Trudy's isolation.I've written several scripts and I'm always trying to strike a balance between setting the scene and giving info on the character. The trick is to describe as much as possible in as few words as possible. I'm actually surprised how wordy this is for a tv script, but presumably, it's on the first page where there's a little more license to be wordy. You have to really set the tone and scene with your main character ASAP.

Very cool quote from the script. I love the attention to detail while describing Trudy's isolation.I've written several scripts and I'm always trying to strike a balance between setting the scene and giving info on the character. The trick is to describe as much as possible in as few words as possible. I'm actually surprised how wordy this is for a tv script' date=' but presumably, it's on the first page where there's a little more license to be wordy. You have to really set the tone and scene with your main character ASAP.[/quote']Yes, my feeling is that if I read it and with just a few sentences it makes me want to see it or be there then it is pretty good.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Part of me loved this episode...and part of me hates it.I really like "Dutch Oven" because it finally gives Trudy (Olivia Brown) a chance to shine--and if I remember right this is the episode that finally gave Trudy her last name: Joplin. Before her character didn't have one--as one was not really needed before as her character at first was not considered that important. But' date=' with the internal affairs scenes a last name was needed...so for whatever reason they came up with Joplin.I love Trudy's wild punk face paint and hair at the beginning--and the action and car chase (with the slow motion of Trudy looking at Crockett like he was nuts for driving like that) was awesome!! I also love Olivia Brown's acting and her portrayal of how "Trudy" handled things. Very good! :thumbsup: I also love the wild party that her moron boyfriend takes her to--and the main singer and song "King of Babylon"!! Oh my gosh I laugh so hard everytime I watch that part that I better not have food or drink in my mouth at the time...or it'll be all over the TV screen. :) I don't think I could keep a straight face if I was at a party that had a singer like that. :DBut, other parts of this episode were sad and I felt terrible for Trudy...as her boyfriend (David??) was a total idiot and jerk! What the heck...you are dating a cop (and a Vice cop no less) and you take her to a party that you know is going to be wall-to-wall drugs?? Then you act like she's being rude when she wants to bust them? Okay...I think David was not only a jerk but a total dumb-a** as well! Hello, stupid! :rolleyes: The very end also left me irritated...when Trudy gets totally "slammed" and no one is around to encourage or support her! I wanted so bad for her to tell David how it really was...but she just stared at him. :(I liked much of this episode...but because of the goofy ending I gave it a 7.[/quote']These were my original thoughts and rating of this episode. Not much has changed...I still love and laugh my butt off at the "King of Babylon" dude! :) I still think Trudy's boyfriend was a total l moron and jerk...he didn't deserve her and I can't believe he'd try and defend someone like Adonis? :rolleyes: What a loser! :thumbsdown:But, again the rest of the episode was pretty good! I enjoy this one each time--especially the beginning! :clap:

• 3 months later...

Terribly filler..I'll start off by saying what I liked:+Trudy looked smoking hot in the intro, loved the face paint and car chase.+Crockett getting coke thrown in his face. Ha+More Trudy eye candy+Who not to listen to-Amy grant..I really like that montage, even though unnecessary+Creepy guy trying to get them to sleep with the 2 boys..Edgy stuff for 1985+Old man beating Crockett in Gin, "you're holding kings..."Besides those character moments..yeh not much else happens.

• Like 1

Terribly filler..I'll start off by saying what I liked:+Trudy looked smoking hot in the intro' date=' loved the face paint and car chase.+Crockett getting coke thrown in his face. Ha+More Trudy eye candy+Who not to listen to-Amy grant..I really like that montage, even though unnecessary+Creepy guy trying to get them to sleep with the 2 boys..Edgy stuff for 1985+Old man beating Crockett in Gin, "you're holding kings..."Besides those character moments..yeh not much else happens.[/quote']I like all the aspects you listed...good, funny, and wild moments that helped "make" this episode! But, I think more happened than just those. ;) Although, I don't care for the ending to this one much because of how Trudy is treated, it's still a pretty awesome episode! :thumbsup:
Part of me loved this episode...and part of me hates it.I really like "Dutch Oven" because it finally gives Trudy (Olivia Brown) a chance to shine--and if I remember right this is the episode that finally gave Trudy her last name: Joplin. Before her character didn't have one--as one was not really needed before as her character at first was not considered that important. But' date=' with the internal affairs scenes a last name was needed...so for whatever reason they came up with Joplin.I love Trudy's wild punk face paint and hair at the beginning--and the action and car chase (with the slow motion of Trudy looking at Crockett like he was nuts for driving like that) was awesome!! I also love Olivia Brown's acting and her portrayal of how "Trudy" handled things. Very good! :thumbsup: I also love the wild party that her moron boyfriend takes her to--and the main singer and song "King of Babylon"!! Oh my gosh I laugh so hard everytime I watch that part that I better not have food or drink in my mouth at the time...or it'll be all over the TV screen. :) I don't think I could keep a straight face if I was at a party that had a singer like that. :DBut, other parts of this episode were sad and I felt terrible for Trudy...as her boyfriend (David??) was a total idiot and jerk! What the heck...you are dating a cop (and a Vice cop no less) and you take her to a party that you know is going to be wall-to-wall drugs?? Then you act like she's being rude when she wants to bust them? Okay...I think David was not only a jerk but a total dumb-a** as well! Hello, stupid! :rolleyes: The very end also left me irritated...when Trudy gets totally "slammed" and no one is around to encourage or support her! I wanted so bad for her to tell David how it really was...but she just stared at him. :(I liked much of this episode...but because of the goofy ending I gave it a 7.[/quote']
These were my original thoughts and rating of this episode. Not much has changed...I still love and laugh my butt off at the "King of Babylon" dude! :) I still think Trudy's boyfriend was a total l moron and jerk...he didn't deserve her and I can't believe he'd try and defend someone like Adonis? :rolleyes: What a loser! :thumbsdown:But' date=' again the rest of the episode was pretty good! I enjoy this one each time--especially the beginning! :clap:[/quote']

• 1 year later...

A good episode. I like that it was Trudy-centered and once again it showed a cop's life and how's there's no separation between the job and personal life. I love the scene where Trudy and Sonny are in front of the IA guys and Sonny tells them off. He's right, and Trudy shouldn't have been made to feel like she'd done something wrong. The guy was firing at them, and if she hadn't shot, either she or Sonny would have gotten killed. She was well within the parameters of being a cop, when a suspect opens fire on you, you have the right to fire back. Everything Sonny told the IA guys is what they deserved. They just sat their in their office all day and felt high and mighty investigating and lecturing other cops but had no idea what it's like for a cop who's actually on the streets in the middle of the action. 

Then the part about Trudy and her boyfriend, he was clearly someone she loved, and he was a complete jerk to her in the end, choosing his low-life drug dealing friends over her. She deserves way better than him. When he tells her that she has no honor, it's really angering, because he has that mentality that protecting criminals is "honor". It's really sad, and I felt bad for poor Trudy that someone she loved and cared about so deeply could be so cold to her like that. He never deserved her in the first place. She's a cop and it's her duty to fight against the drug dealers, she can't just look the other way. Like she said, being a cop is not what she does, it's who she is. Unlike other jobs, it's not something that's simply a small part of your life, rather it is your life and your identity really. That's why it's so difficult to have relationships with people outside of the police force, and Trudy is right in what she did. Her only loyalty is to her fellow cops. All in all, I enjoyed this episode, and we got to see something which revolved around Trudy, gave her more dimension, and showed how she has much the same problems as Crockett. 

• 5 months later...

Watched this one again last night, and I am sadly reminded how I am not a huge fan of it. As mentioned above in previous posts, there are some great scenes, style, music in this one, (the boat party is fun). But a great plot concept is absolutely ruined by sub par acting. Yes, DJ shines as usual, but Olivia Brown's acting leaves much to be desired. Even her walk on the beach, feet in the water, is uncomfortable. She comes across as clumsy, stumbling, more as an actor being told to do something she didn't like instead of the serious heartfelt contemplation as the scene was intended. The ending remains a letdown....after the attempt to pull the viewer through this emotional mess, a spectacular release is needed, and instead we get the plate of powdery thrown cut blow. This episode does have its great moments, Trudy and Sonny on his boat, Castillo being Castillo, the opening scenes, and a couple other golden moments. But this is not an episode I would show to a new fan of Miami Vice. I give it a 5

• 3 weeks later...

This is not one of my favorite episodes; OK but not outstanding.  I wanted to like it because I remembered it (from back in the day) as being very touching, with Trudy having to deal with killing someone in self-defense and defense of her partner.  On viewing it tonight, I just could not quite connect with Trudy in the same way.  Right or wrong, she made some decisions that led to an inevitable outcome for her relationship with her old boyfriend.  But in youth, of course we often take action without thinking the effects through...  

While trying to come to terms with shooting the man in the alley, she has to make some decisions about what things she can overlook for the sake of a relationship that might be the one closest to her heart.  I don't know if it was Olivia Brown's acting or too much emphasis of style (which was lush and gorgeous, with great music and a very appealing David) over character development.  But with the incident at the party, when David made it clear he didn't want Trudy's job interfering with his friendships, I felt she should have seen the writing on the wall.  David was not willing to put her ahead of his friends.  Still, I could appreciate her stubborn determination to "do my job" and her apparent feeling that she would be perceived as weak if she followed Castillo's advice.

Loved the way Sonny and Trudy's outfits coordinated in the IA interview.  Later Gina wore a pale yellow and purple combo as well.  Lots of vibrant colors and funky decor in this ep.  I loved David's singing as well.  "There are some songs I don't sing anymore."  Nice line. 

Some lines that really hit me:

Castillo:  "You've got to come to grips with the fact that you killed another human being."  He would echo this later when Crockett shoots the 13-year-old in Child's Play.

Sonny:  "What line is that?  The line between being a cop, and having friends who use and deal? <pause for a beat>  I usually only find that line when I'm over it."  But at this point, we have not seen Sonny step over the line.

David:  "You lied.  You cheated.  You used me."   And although her actions might have been justified, he was right.  She had destroyed any future she might have hoped for with him.  I wonder if she thought then that maybe she should have exited the case before the meet with Adonis.

Trudy:  "I'm a cop.  It's not what I do, it's who I am."   Yes, and may be a reason she could end up alone, like Castillo and the other members of her team.  They might have a lot of sex (at least C&T) but they have trouble with the emotional connection and commitment.  

Miami Vice often served as a cautionary tale for relationships--true to life or not?  

• Like 2

I like this episode, most parts of it anyway.  I find the comradery between Trudy and Sonny is quite refreshing.  It's nice to see different members of the vice squad being thrown together in odd circumstances.  I love the way Sonny gives her advice as she struggles with what has happened.  I don't really have much sympathy for David at the end, I'm afraid.  As has been mentioned before, he knows she is a detective but insists that she completely ignore her instincts of right and wrong, not to mention the oath she took as a police officer.  I'm not sure why she would think they have much of a future to begin with, since David seems to value his drug friend buddies more than he does her.  I find that part of this episode very perplexing.  Why does he hang around these people anyway?

I absolutely LOVE the car chase in the beginning....the music, the insane driving, the almost astonishment on her face in the car..it's classic vice!    :D

So...this is an episode that I enjoy, far from my favorites list, but has many shining moments.   :cool:

• Like 1

(snipped) I find the comradery between Trudy and Sonny is quite refreshing.  It's nice to see different members of the vice squad being thrown together in odd circumstances.  I love the way Sonny gives her advice as she struggles with what has happened.  I don't really have much sympathy for David at the end, I'm afraid.  As has been mentioned before, he knows she is a detective but insists that she completely ignore her instincts of right and wrong, not to mention the oath she took as a police officer.  (snipped)

I liked the camaraderie between Sonny and Trudy, too.  Really nice to see him supporting and mentoring her.

And I felt the same as you did about David--I didn't feel sympathy for him, but I could see why he felt she was using him to make a bust.  Still, as you say, he knew she was a police officer.  Why did he expect her to look the other way?   He wasn't worth the investment she was about to make in their relationship, but it took what happened to make her see that.  And I think she was sad about the outcome.  There is a price to pay for doing the right thing, and it can be painful, like in this case.  

• 4 months later...

I loved the Trans Am in the chase at the start! That's one of the reason I like watching 80ies shows - to spot cool 80ies cars like Trans Ams and Camaros... Not common these days to spot a 3rd generation F-Body on screen.

Anyway, storywise this was a great episode. The conflict Trudy had to feel... The soundtrack was great too, Amy Grant's Who To Listen To was quite emotional.....  These kinds of episodes were what make MV unique. So I have to give this one an 8.

• 1 year later...

Let me say one thing: this is possibly my least favorite episode of the first three seasons.

I mean apart from the opening, music, and hooker Trudy scene, there is almost nothing i enjoy.

The cop under fire from the IA plot is much better in Dirty Harry.

I do like Giancarlo Esposito, especially as Gus Fring and in the previous episodes, but i dont here.

Trudy's bfriend was a moron. Decent voice though.

The ending was an insult.

Another pro: it was held over for S2 so it doesn't infect the almost flawless S1.

3/10

• 10 months later...

As others have said the opening scene is great, which they usually are, but the episode as a whole could have been much better. Too much music filled out the time, which was unnecessary and in the first part with David and his band performing on stage, I felt skipping that. (I almost did.)

The ending with the final words said by David do not make any sense to me. I mean what is the point with that message? All of sudden it makes Trudy look like the guilty one for trying to do the right thing. And it lefts the viewer confused/perplexed questioning what is right and wrong. 

Trudy was in a great dilemma. And it wasn't an easy decision for her to make, but to be a good cop, she acted right. 

I get that David felt deceived and hurt by Trudy, but his social circle were doing something criminal, so he should have been on her side. 

The writer for this episode Maurice Hurley also wrote two other episodes for Vice. Those were "Whatever Works" and "Golden Triangle" pt 2. 

• Like 2

I agree about the “too much music” comment, @summer84. I’ll add that I find the Buster Poindexter party music sequence to be far more unbearable than the one on “Love Is For Sale”. :thumbsdown:

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

I agree about the “too much music” comment, @summer84. I’ll add that I find the Buster Poindexter party music sequence to be far more unbearable than the one on “Love Is For Sale”. :thumbsdown:

I thought "King of Babylon" wasn't bad in the beginning to listen to, but then it went on too long. Kind of feel opposite about it.  :) Though both were too much.

I did like the last club performance, it had a great beat and rhythm. And just the right amount of music. Someone mentioning in the comments, that maybe could have been Jan Hammer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, summer84 said:

Someone mentioning in the comments, that maybe could have been Jan Hammer. 

I don’t think it was. It’s just totally uncharacteristic of how he makes music. I’ve always suspected it was the same person/people who made the music for the “Love Is for Sale” song, which definitely wasn’t Jan Hammer. It could have been the singer/actor and/or some of his colleagues from real life. I admit that David is playing a sound on the DX7 synthesizer that Jan Hammer (and every other keybaordist on the planet) was using at the time.

In contrast, the Hendrix-like guitar followed by the porn-ish music playing during Noogie’s wedding (Made for Each Other)—though it was also uncharacteristic of Jan’s normal MV vibe—was definitely him! It’s an extremely rare moment in which we get to hear Jan play a lead part on an actual guitar! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I don’t think it was. It’s just totally uncharacteristic of how he makes music. I’ve always suspected it was the same person/people who made the music for the “Love Is for Sale” song, which definitely wasn’t Jan Hammer. It could have been the singer/actor and/or some of his colleagues from real life. I admit that David is playing a sound on the DX7 synthesizer that Jan Hammer (and every other keybaordist on the planet) was using at the time.

In contrast, the Hendrix-like guitar followed by the porn-ish music playing during Noogie’s wedding (Made for Each Other)—though it was also uncharacteristic of Jan’s normal MV vibe—was definitely him! It’s an extremely rare moment in which we get to hear Jan play a lead part on an actual guitar! :thumbsup:

Yeah, good point! 

I really enjoyed that music from Noogie's wedding. Cool info on Jan Hammer, didn't know that.

Another piece, I thought sounded unusual for JH, (when I first heard it) was the music that begins playing, during Gina and Trudy's bust and chase of a professor in The Great McCarthy. Sometimes he experimented with other genres and sounds, than his usually style and made it sound different. Such as Reggae and Oriental music for Castillo. This sounds like electronic. I believe, he mentioned also getting inspiration from Eastern Europe, which I found interesting. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG-UHAXLgI0