Episode #25 "Out Where The Buses Don't Run"

Ferrariman

• 11 months later...
  • Administrators

10 From me too! One of, if not THE, best episode of the series. Everytime I watch it I wish I didn't know the ending!

Ditto for me as well, though I know some are not fond of Bruce McGill's hamming up his many impersonations. I must have replayed the Brothers in Arms scene a dozen or more times with the Daytona roaring though the Miami streets at night. Love the line from his old partner justifying why he helped wall-up Arcaro, I think something like "He was my partner...You understand?" summing up the connection and bond partners have with each other. Not to mention the tie in to the lyrics of Brothers in Arms.

This is a very highly rated episode among Vice fans and quite rightly so. It is a pretty great episode. It's got the style, imagery, music and a good story. Top notch stuff.The episode gets off to a fantastic start with the greatest Ocean Drive sequence of the whole series. I just love the whole intro. It very vividly captures the the full vibrancy, colour and energy of Ocean Drive and South Beach, probably my favourite place on Earth. 'Baba O'Riley' by The Who was a flawless song choice. One of the greatest songs by the greatest band ever and it underscored the intro superbly. The interaction of Sonny and Rico was great and Little Richard's cameo was excellent too. Awesome intro.The whole mood and tone of the episode is superb and very well underscored by Jan Hammer's tune 'Clues'. Bruce McGill is OK. Weldon seemed more stupid than crazy if you ask me. Strathairn's performance is better. His scene with Crockett and Tubbs is excellent. The sequence at Stiltsville is also great. Terrific Scarab action and shootout. Too bad about Weldon's screaming. A few things bug me about this episode. Like why was everyone in the restaurant so calm when Constanza got whacked? And I noticed that Arcaro's newspaper from 1979 had a headline story from Watergate ("Nixon - tapes will prove my innocence") that would've been from around 1973. The ending is the stuff of Vice legend. It is indeed great. The use of Dire Straits' 'Brothers In Arms' was haunting and complemented the scene a great deal. But a thing that annoys me about the night driving sequence is all the traffic lights are at red so they obviously closed off the streets. This spoils the realism of the driving section of the ending. The climax in the delapidated house with the missing piece of the puzzle(Arcaro) is superb. The revelation of Arcaro was really shocking and jaw dropping the first time I saw it. I liked Strathairn's line "He was my partner. You understand? You understand?". Very memorable and powerful ending.A very excellent episode. 9/10

• Like 2

I really like this one!!!It’s the kind of episode where you’re really looking forward to what happens in the end…and the end sure does not disappoint!!!What a fantastic, superbly done ending…I think this is the best ending to any episode – and one no one would have predicted – and what a build up to the end climax! Good acting throughout by everyone - Bruce McGill’s acting was very good, but I think the character became a bit silly – but still good  I’ve been marking all the episodes quite strictly; I guess I’m a tough marker! I haven’t given a 10/10 yet, but this episode almost made me do it…but not quite…I’ll go for 9/10

This is one of my favorite episodes, too. The first time I saw it, I really didn't see that ending coming. I thought it was a great twist. Like most people have said, the Brothers in Arms sequence is one that I've watched repeatedly because it was such a great song for that scene. I just thought Weldon was strange - I didn't really understand how crazy he was until that ending.

This wasn't one of my favorite episodes , a few years ago. It has grown on me though. It's a really good episode. A lot better than i first thought. Clearly one of the best of season 2.

I've never understood what all the hubbub is about this ep. I've grown to enjoy it over the years, and think it's a fine ep, but it is by no means a top favorite of mine. I think it succeeds in spite of Bruce McGill's hammy performance. David Strathairn is the real scene-stealer in my opinion. The "J55" speech is riveting.But you've heard all that from me before. Here's a new revelation, though: I think the Brothers in Arms sequence is kind of boring.Heresy!

You know this is an extremely difficult ep to rate if you're already aware of the ending (which was my case) - I think over the years I've seen enough bits of this ep/read enough about it on other forums to know in advance of a full screening what happens - which kind of makes it less of a shock!But I have to say there are vasts parts of this ep that don't appeal - v slow in parts, agree Weldon is 'too' crazy with the overacting in parts. End as everyone acknowledges is v good, but as I say difficult to judge how good if you know what's about to happen...Love the look Castillo gives Weldon at OCB when they first meet - utterly classic.Also like the undertones of Weldon being what the likes of C&T could become some day - reminiscent of so many eps already - Heart of Darkness, the Pilot, Payback, to mention just a few...As it stands I have to give it a 6 which is what I give any 'ordinary' ep of MV - I might come back in time and adjust, but I can't see it going much higher or much lower than a 6.

• Administrators

The episode is one of my favorites. It’s a story about passion, about friendship and about justice which isn’t always black or white but most times grey. Hank Weldon is my personal reason why i love this episode. The man is a maniac, was too much involved with his profession, lost his family, his fiends and his mind. He’s the typical tragic character you can also find in ancient greek dramas: He was one of the best, he lost control over his life because he acted with too much emotion. He felt deep and at last he was too tired to go on. That’s why he brought the Vice detectives to Aracaro at last. He wanted to finish his tragedy ...Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Out Where The Buses Don’t Run has also some nice action scenes at the beginning (Little Richard's appereance was too short by the way), Crockett clearing a well arranged dining table, and of course the action around Stiltsville ...Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild The style and lightning is also very Vice. The clothing Crockett wore when meeting Frank Weldon's partner is up-to-date. I love these salmon colored shoes. :happy:Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild The music: well, who can beat Baba-O-Riley and Brothers In Arms in this ambience ... Eingefügtes Bild Eingefügtes Bild I rated it 10.

I thought the opening to this episode was a good one. The Who were always under-rated in my opinion compared to say the Beatles and the Stones, and Baba O'Reilly is a legendary track. I thought those two buyers that Manual Skates Santino was dealing to at the beginning looked very dodgy dressed in that gear. I did think the preacher girl was a bad actress. Not much of a convincing attempt at making it look like she was genuinely kicking Skates. She was basically just shoving her foot against the ground (what happened to Method acting!).I like how Crockett looks really self conscious and uncomfortable when Wheldon is singing while sat on the back of Tubbs' car.I hadn't considered the lack of reaction amongst the diners in the restaurant where Costanza got whacked, but yes, a good point. What I did consider though was why it was necessary for Crockett to walk straight through a table full of food when you could clearly see that he could have just ran straight past it. Add to this the fact that standing on a table makes him more of a target for a panicked hitman (yes I know, it was more dramatic).Wheldon's computer was pretty sophisticated for 1985. It had opinions on Clamjuice!.I never considered that Wheldon was acting crazy. He acted more like someone who'd just spent the day knocking back 15 expressos i.e hyperactiveand acting like a clown.What I liked was how this episode also touches on Crockett's instinctual side again, as opposed to Tubbs more rational side. "My head tells me he's stone cold insane.... my gut tells me let's go with him on this". I suppose Crockett's instinct was right as Wheldon led them to Arcaro in the end. I thought this was a good episode, but not one of my favourites. 7 out of 10.

• Like 1

The Who were always under-rated in my opinion compared to say the Beatles and the Stones, Yeah, The Who are awesome. Infiniteley better than the beatles and the stones IMO. The soundtrack to their film Quadrophenia is amazing, especially 'Love Reign O'Er Me' (probably my favourite Who song)

Going by my viewing of this episode, years ago, I would rate it not more than a 7 ! Since getting the DVD, & watching this 3 times, I still rate it a 7 in general because it's slow moving in some parts, such as the stakeout on the water & in the room with Castillo, deciding on Weldon's sanity. Now, I love Bruce McGill! The way he walks C&T through the whole adventure leading up to finding Tony Arcaro, with humor, impressions of Groucho Marx, Scotty, Peter Lori, pirates & other characters. Rating - 10 I love when Sonny is hosing down Elvis & Hank squirts him with his alligator water gun! Crazy, but fun! Rating - 10 Hank singing, " I Fought the Law & the Law Won," is a reference to His revelation of guilt at the end! Stan telling Larry, "this stakeout is a mis-stakout, & Larry's reply gets a rating of 10 from me. In the beginning, the bible- bashing girl gets a big laugh from me & the hit on Constanza at the Ocean Club was cool & I would love to go to a place like that. That's what Florida is all about! Rating - 10. Now, let me get to the best! So far everytime I watched the last scene, I get choked up, & tears come to my eyes. It's the mood that's been set. Dire Straits playing, "Brothers in Arms" with the Daytona going through the dark streets. Listen to the words of the song! It tells the whole story! " In the fear & alarm, you did not desert me- my brothers in arms- Marty Lang, Crockett, Tubbs! They didn't turn Weldon in, he finally realized the only way he would have peace was to give himself up! I get chills at the revealing of Tony Arcaro in the wall with the newspaper headline! Rating - 20- Marty Lang, "I helped him build the wall, he was my partner, you understand, you understand?" Crockett,"Yeah" "Bro. in Arms" playing----more chills, more tears,......rating 20 ! One final comment: Rico's remark, "he may be out where the buses don't run", not only becomes the Episode title, but also the place where Arcaro is buried. They drive to no man's land, where no buses go, to that almost -demolished building. Another 10 rating! My final answer ...........10 ! This episode has become a favorite for me over the years. :thumbsup:

P.S.- Bruce McGill is just as zany on MacGuiver! Lots of laughs! :D Some final thoughts on "Buses" Listening to the lyrics of "Brothers in Arms," I was wondering if the episode was written to the song's words! The episode, especially the ending is so descriptive, of the song. After Marty Lang tells Crockett that Weldon was his partner, the relevence of what that means is apparent to everyone. Cops, soldiers, even firemen are brothers in arms. They protect each other & would give their lives for each other. When I hear the song" Brothers in Arms" I will always think of Weldon & this fantastic ending.

• Like 2

Oh boy, time to be objective. I love this episode, it's a classic, but I didn't give it a 10, I voted a 9. Why? Bruce McGill's performance tends to grate on the nerves (or at least mine). Other than that, fantastic ep. It just does not get better than "Brothers In Arms" at the end, and it's a widely strong episode as a whole. Also contains a favorite Crockett throwaway, in regards to the Lorraine's password: "Try 'goofball'.". I love that line!

• Haha 1

At least we all agree that we LOVE the ending!!!:happy:Maybe one day we can do a poll on the best ending to a MV episode...I think OWTBDR would come top!

Yes could be an interesting poll - there are a lot of eps to choose from however...Think about Forgive Us Our Debts, Deliver Us From Evil, Mirror Image, just for starters! All shockers...

High Points: Bruce McGill is great as well as David Straithairn, great music, you name it.Low Points: ....I give it a 10 out of 10.

Guest neworder

Out where the buses dont run is classic vice, really is. The opening is well done, altho the guy on roller skates is a bit weird for my liking, the blue skies, gently swaying palms, ladies in bikini's and then crockett and tubbs, the coolest cops ever in the coolest car ever cruising slowly along ocean drive. Fantastic. Great intro and great song from The Who. Hank Weldon, what a legend of a character. He's brilliant, a little silly but his silliness is done well and its not so silly it puts you off. Castilo's look when he tries to shake his hand is priceless. Crockett sporting a very smooth blue shirt in the the OCB scene. The whole atmosphere and style is on top form in this episode and its a real joy to watch. Ace boat scene too if a little slow getting to it. Despite the story appearing to have a light hearted theme, the ending is serious, powerful and fantastically done. Dire Straits song is perfectly utilised along with the scenes leading to a great twist at the end of the story. So why am i not going to stop here and give this episode a full 10. Actually thinking about this, the only real minor issue is the slow run up to the boat scene. I think this isn't a huge issue but im gonna deduct it half a point. 9.5/10 from SJB

Season two is one of my favorite seasons out of the whole series and Out Where The Buses Don't Run is one the best episodes. I have watched it over and over. Hank Weldon is a classic example of a cop that was so dedicated that he crossed the line because of it. The use of Dire Straits music at the end was perfect. I give the episode a 10.

• Like 1